As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Wind Waker edition!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OZUn49Sc7JC8wSHWSQk6HuWHqnVgEOvh.jpg
    This looks like a traditional EO level, then there's also this:

tOBug6vg2v6TbWrwiix72oXZ4JM6zxcB.jpg
    And that looks like a sea chart, so maybe it's something like the stratums are different islands.

Etrian Odyssey 3: Wind Waker

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fuck yeah!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I went ahead and ordered Etrian Odyssey 2 off Amazon ford $16 plus s&h. I can't wait!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, even though I'm apparently the only person who's ever going to post in here (I kill threads just by posting in them), someone sent me a few links with some pictures of EO3 and he wanted me to share them with you guys (I dunno why he didn't wait till the forums went back to normal and post them himself but whatever.)

http://www.nyleveia.com/2009/12/15/additional-eo3-media-round-2/
    http://nintendo.nyleveia.com/2009/12/14/additional-eo3-media/
    http://nintendo.nyleveia.com/2009/12/13/etrian-odyssey-iii-announced-in-famitsu/

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Still too far off. Not enough information to discuss. Bleh.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    What was that other "really good" FPS dungeon crawl game on the DS?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dark Spire I believe. I almost bought that too but I decided one new game was enough.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The other really good FPS dungeon crawl?

EO1

Dark Spire is ok.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dark Spire suffered from too high an incidence of random encounters and lack of viable customization (almost every character multiclassing mage or you couldn't handle the sheer amounts of enemies per encounter). I still love it to death, though.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    did that say release on 4/3/10 in japan?

March.

thanks for the clarification, being an american i completely fail to understand how others' dating conventions work.

is there any hint at when localization will happen? when might it hit the states?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know, I like the idea of a sea overworld thing. Have the main stratums as big islands and have micro sidequestion dugeons of one or two floors.

I'ma gonna go play Wind Waker again.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ooh, I like the look of that sea chart.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    Ooh, I like the look of that sea chart.

It's really vibrant. Which is a good change of pace from what I was seeing in EO and EO2.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought the other good one was Shiren the Wanderer.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The announcement of this game got me to pick EO2 back up again. Just annihilated the Overlord and am trucking on.

Can't wait for this.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Looking forward to this. At first I didn't really like EOII, but once I beat the chimera, I started to get hooked. Just hit the 4th stratum, looks pretty nifty.

EO3 definitely looks more...cheery, compared to the first two.

And Scylla wasn't nearly as hard as I thought she would be. The Arteleind & Wilheilem (SP?) fight was also pretty easy with antiall. They never landed a single hit.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I need to finish EO2. These are some of my favourite DS games, I'm excited for this one.

Dark Spire was fantastic as well, though I gave up on the sixth floor. I still loved the hell out of it while I was playing.

elevature on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've barely scratched EO1 or 2 as it is.. ..well a third can't hurt I figure.

Does the PC have a reasonably modern, etrian-level party-based dungeonhack? I've played quite a bit of wizardry 8 but I'd really like something different. Any suggestions in the wake of Etrian Odyssey3?

edit:
    Some information on Etrian 3 courtesy of Zazira and him not being able to post:
    http://nintendo.nyleveia.com/2009/12/22/final-etrian-odyssey-3-classes-named/
    http://www.nyleveia.com/2009/12/22/additional-eo3-media-round-4/

Magitek on
  • Options
    ZaziraZazira Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Zazira on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, so we have all ten classes now... Prince/Princess, Phalanx, Monk, Shinobi, Pirate, Warrior, Ballista, Beast King, and Farmer. So, do we start to guess how the class names will be localized now?

Looks like there's a couple of updates on the Japanese site for the game. There's a page on mapping, which includes a short video, but nothing really new, and a sound page, which has a sample track that sounds something like a battle track.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm guessing Phalanx will be changed (Maybe soldier?), Shinobi will be Ninja, Monk might be changed to something as well.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Ah, so we have all ten classes now... Prince/Princess, Phalanx, Monk, Shinobi, Pirate, Warrior, Ballista, Beast King, and Farmer. So, do we start to guess how the class names will be localized now?

Looks like there's a couple of updates on the Japanese site for the game. There's a page on mapping, which includes a short video, but nothing really new, and a sound page, which has a sample track that sounds something like a battle track.

That song sounds rad, it's probably the second random battle theme for the game. Sorta sounds like it is a remix or is at least heavily inspired by the first game's initial battle music (structure wise).

Henroid on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    How do you use skills in Etrian Odyssey 2? I'm on the first map. Cart only, so no manual. I've used a few skill points for that HP, TAC, etc UP choice. And I've picked things like Bow + that opened up skills to use (or something), but under the skills menu everythings is greyed out and the option to use them in battle is also greyed out.

EDIT

I don't get the whole map thing. If it auto maps anyway, then what's the point in me drawing it?

Sheep on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    How do you use skills in Etrian Odyssey 2? I'm on the first map. Cart only, so no manual. I've used a few skill points for that HP, TAC, etc UP choice. And I've picked things like Bow + that opened up skills to use (or something), but under the skills menu everythings is greyed out and the option to use them in battle is also greyed out.

EDIT

I don't get the whole map thing. If it auto maps anyway, then what's the point in me drawing it?

In reverse order:

The auto-map doesn't show you the walls, turns, etc. Or the locations of things you may need to come back to later. The maps also get more complex later on, such that relying on the automap will fuck you over.

Picking up Bow+ opens skills up to purchase, not use. You have to have at least one point in a skill to use it. The skills menu is probably greyed out because you used up all your skill points.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Etrian Odyssey III Pushed Back
    Upcoming Nintendo DS role-playing game Etrian Odyssey III: Visitor From Star Ocean from developer Atlus has been delayed in Japan. The game was originally slated for a March 4 release.

Joining the typical dungeon crawling of the previous Etrian Odyssey games, the third installment will also feature ocean exploring.

Atlus attributed the delay to "various circumstances" and apologized for any trouble this delay has caused. The new release date for Japan is April 1. Yes, April Fools Day.

Boo!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I asked them to buy me some time to finish my EO2 LP.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well that was awfully nice of them to comply. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I missed out on EO 2, but the first is one of my favorite masochistic dungeon crawlers.

I must not miss this one.

/me goes to eBay to check EO 2 prices.

Drake on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been meaning to buy EO2 after I finished the first a while back.

I haven't ever seen it in shops, preowned or not. It's a crime.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love both EO so much, I think I'm gonna cry from this delay. Hold me.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    2ihmtn9.jpg

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would kill to have the first 2.
    I actually bought one online but it never got here.

It makes me so sad.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They need an english localization like... tomorrow. Also, whatever happened to 7th dragon? I suppose we're never going to see that here eh.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    7th Dragon is coming, it's just on the PS0 or Sands of Destruction Sega RPG schedule of sometime between 12-24 months after it came out in Japan.

No, it was never officially announced, but yes, it is coming.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm... I won't believe that 7th Dragon is seeing a domestic release until official confirmation is made. But I'll be more than happy to pick up a copy if it does get released. I got impatient and decided to import it over the holiday period, and it's good stuff. It certainly does deserve a US release.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's been a bunch of updates on the main site about what the classes can do.

Princess/Prince
    Royal Lineage: Restores the Princess/Prince's TP.
    Order Attack: Buffs the party's attack.
    Reset Weapon: Dispels buffs and deals non-elemental damage to one enemy.

Shinobi (one of the portraits looks like one of the original Ronin)
    I can't understand what the first skill does.
    Ninpo Bunshin: Halves HP and TP, and creates a clone in an empty space.
    ????: Deals slash damage to an enemy and inflicts Bind Leg.

Pirate
    Trickster: When using an attack skill the Pirate will have some TP restored.
    Quickdraw: At the beginning of the turn the Pirate will a random number of shots at enemies. (I like this)
    Chase Saber: Slash chaser, basically.

Phalanx (I didn't know the first portrait of Phalanx we ever saw was a girl)
    Guardian: Reduces physical damage received.
    Divide Guard: Damage dealt to the targeted party member is split among all party members instead.
    Blitz Rita (Guessing from katakana): Deals lightning damage to one opponent using a spear.

Monk
    ????: Improves the healing ability of the monk's skills.
    Fist Mastery: Needed for combat skills, also increases fist damage.
    Awaken Chakra: Increases the chance of automatically recovering from Silence (not sure about other status effects)

Warrior
    Battle Veteran: Increases physical damage.
    Wide Effect: When using an attack skill on a target, there's a chance of damaging the adjacent enemies too.
    Nine Smash: Repeatedly attacks a single target.

Zodiac:
    Ether Master: Increases the power of fire/ice/lightning skills. (All 3 elements in a single skill?)
    Flame Forecast: Stops an enemy's fire attack, and deals fire damage to that enemy instead. (Doesn't sound very useful to me, how often do you meet a monster that doesn't resist its own element)
    Lightning Binary Star: Deals lightning damage to all enemies.

No info on the other 3 classes' skills.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yarr harr fiddle dee dee,
    being a pirate is alright t- F.O.E!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    and multiplayer and seemingly better 3D graphics and framerate and awesome looking monster designs, group attacks and other stuff.

Bursar, announce the game for localization already. Dooo eeet. I'll accept any date, but October 12th sounds pretty good to me!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope multiplayer is over Nintendo WI-FI

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png
This discussion has been closed.