As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Wind Waker edition!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I just got to the second stratum in EO2. Holy shit did the difficulty ramp up here.
    How the fuck do I beat those pumpkin bastards? Is it just a matter of getting some levels or is there a trick to beating them? Also, I guess I should either invest in some skills or items for those trap floors on floor 7?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    So I just got to the second stratum in EO2. Holy shit did the difficulty ramp up here.
    How the fuck do I beat those pumpkin bastards? Is it just a matter of getting some levels or is there a trick to beating them? Also, I guess I should either invest in some skills or items for those trap floors on floor 7?

Volt, Ice, or nonelemental attacks. (Note that Slash/Stab/Bash counts as elemental.)

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wrzync.jpg

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Please tell me that's a promotional vehicle and not some fan's car ...

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Considering the game came out today in Japan I'd bet its promotional.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe we'll get some more info now that it's out.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Even with EO2 it took awhile for info to realy come out.

I mean, ocean travel, new classes, local multi, group limit breaks isn't enough info for you?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Even with EO2 it took awhile for info to realy come out.

I mean, ocean travel, new classes, local multi, group limit breaks isn't enough info for you?

TBH nothing but the actual localized game in my hands will be enough.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bursar assured me in the most cryptic way possible that they might be working on localizing it right now. Maybe.

I'm just waiting for the Amazon leak. C'mon Amazon.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have someone on the inside at Atlus USA? :o

Also that's the only van I would enter if promised candy.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The only guy with a VC avatar worth talking to! :lol:

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I definitely heard some of the music from the game. The town music (or, what I suspect is the town music) is definitely chipper and neato. :3

Edit - Okay now I've heard all the music. I like the battle songs. And in general, a lot of these tracks sound slightly inspired by songs from the first and second game. I mean, I know it's the same composer, but still.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did a little poking around in the gameFAQs board for this - since it's filed under its romanized name instead of Etrian Odyssey and it is a pretty niche game to begin with, the board isn't all that bad. Some things that stuck out:
    Partway through the game, you'll get to unlock one of two additional classes: Shogun (!) and Android (!?!?!?). Shogun character portraits are pretty badass, male and female alike. Androids are kind of... bizarre looking. Seems like you have to choose to have one class or the other, but some screenshots have shown both in the same party, so maybe it is just a matter of choosing which you want first.

Also seems like some ridiculous sub-class possibilities, like Shinobi/Zodiac putting out a constant stream of 1 TP nukes. Didn't mine too deep before I had to leave, though.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh hi thread.

I uploaded all the EO3 music via youtube if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dV_jd1KwKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2M_fLzom8

full playlist here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=284C7CC46A7EDE4C

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I know it's good, so I'll save my ears for when I have a translated cart in my hands. Thanks, though!

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is anyone else getting a constant stream of errors from all Youtube vids?

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    YouTube has been acting funny for people, mostly in regard to embeds.

Trying to give the music a listening to, Pureauthor? :o

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've been spoiled enough, gotta stay away for just a few more months.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've been spoiled enough, gotta stay away for just a few more months.

*nudge nudge*

Hey.

Hey.

Wanna hear the FOE music?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This computer doesn't have speakers, and my head phones are somewhere else!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bursar assured me in the most cryptic way possible that they might be working on localizing it right now. Maybe.

What the what? What am I supposed to have said?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Damn. The remixed version of this soundtrack is going to be wonderful

Thanks, Sollah!

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bursar wrote: »

What the what? What am I supposed to have said?

It's in the Trauma Team thread.

Something like me asking you to nod if you were in the middle of translating it right now, and then you said something else.

It's a joke, you didn't say anything. Everyone knows Amazon is the goto source for Atlus USA leaks.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd laugh harder if it wasn't true. :(

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [Arise!]

So, I've reached the first point in EO2 where I am actively not having fun.

I refer to the first part of the 5th Stratum, where every other enemy and all of the FOEs I've run into have an attack (Scream for Mandragoras, [Whatever]Blade for Deathmen) that can instakill the whole party.

I've wiped ... Hm, 5 times already, and I've explored half of the floor?

Basically, abilities like this suck and developers who put them in their games should be ashamed of themselves.

Any news on EO3?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wow. That knowledge of instant death abilities makes me want to shy away from the game. :?

Part 2 that is. Hopefully part 3 doesn't have it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cough, cough, this is why A's are worth it in EO II, cough cough.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

That's right. And he can wipe out, oh, I dunno, three or four Mandrakes at once - if they all show up at the same time and if he actually manages to get the spell off before they scream. :)

But, since they tend to show up one or two at a time, he's spending about 18-20MP per to kill them (20 if he Flames one to death, 36 / 2 if he Infernos two). That means he can do, oh, 10 battles? ... before it's time to go back to town.

Again, assuming he gets the spell off before the mandrake screams and wipes out half the party / deathman attacks.

Also, "He really comes into his own once you've beaten 80% of the game!" is hardly a ringing endorsement. :)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

That's right. And he can wipe out, oh, I dunno, three or four Mandrakes at once - if they all show up at the same time and if he actually manages to get the spell off before they scream. :)

But, since they tend to show up one or two at a time, he's spending about 18-20MP per to kill them (20 if he Flames one to death, 36 / 2 if he Infernos two). That means he can do, oh, 10 battles? ... before it's time to go back to town.

Again, assuming he gets the spell off before the mandrake screams and wipes out half the party / deathman attacks.

Also, "He really comes into his own once you've beaten 80% of the game!" is hardly a ringing endorsement. :)

My A never had trouble. My inventory would generally fill up before my A came close to running out of TP. Perhaps rebuild your alchemist to be a bit more resource efficient, at least until you hit the sixth stratum?

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When's EO3 coming out in the west? I forgot again.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't had trouble with my Alch. at all. I'm at Stratum 3, floor 15 and I'm leveling all my dudes so we can take on....
    those two guild members.

Shouldn't you be able to buy some TP restoring items at this point in the game?

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think Atlus USA has said anything about EO3 yet.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Did I ever tell you about my awesome story involving Guild Esbat? It is a totally awesome story.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    what is your awesome story?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Had to dig it up because I knew I posted it somewhere before:
    So, I just went and fought Artelind and Der Freischutz. The first time I initiated the battle, I was using a Mezzer-based team (statusing everything) and I promptly got creamed. So then I went a switched in a more all-purpose team for the second go, and I promptly got creamed. After analysing how those two fights went, I switched in a defensive/healing-based team focused around outlasting the enemy while I chipped away at their health. I would have won if Melody, my only form of real damage, hadn't ran out of TP for Snipe (Ricochet was too unreliable and wasted too much mana), and me getting stuck in a deadlock since Artelind kept healing. Learning from my mistakes, I then carried a pair of Amritas with me, and won the fight.

After prepping a bit, I went to fight Scylla and promptly got my shit ruined by her Cry Soul attack. However, prior to that she had spammed Tentacle and Lullaby a lot so I switched to a more anti-status team. Got my shit ruined by Cry Soul again. Then I went 'Wait a tick - bringing along a Healer is useless - if she uses Cry Soul I'm OHKO'd anyway.' That I mind, I swapped in a pure DPS team and went to town on Scylla. Then I won.

I love this game.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's why I love this series. If you're really, really at a loss for how to overcome the challenge, you can always level grind, but with analytical thinking, preparation and tactics you can nearly always succeed in seemingly impossible encounters (and make you feel awesome doing so).

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jesuits wrote: »

My A never had trouble. My inventory would generally fill up before my A came close to running out of TP. Perhaps rebuild your alchemist to be a bit more resource efficient, at least until you hit the sixth stratum?

To be clear, I'm not saying that my A is "having trouble" or is useless.

Previously, I was arguing that:

1. Alchemists are very 1-dimensional; all of their abilities revolve around doing spell damage to the enemy (save 1 - Return - which doesn't work reliably).

2. They don't have the TP reserves to do spell damage routinely (e.g., every round), because their abilities are expensive relative to their pool size and they have no way to regenerate TP (unless you've got a War Magus and a Hexer hanging out with them, but that requires two additional characters keeping another one running).

3. They therefore suffer in the vast majority of battles, which EO slants towards autoattacking (especially with the Medic's ability to, essentially, throw out free Cures every round).

I still stand by those points.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

1. Alchemists are very 1-dimensional; all of their abilities revolve around doing spell damage to the enemy (save 1 - Return - which doesn't work reliably).

2. They don't have the TP reserves to do spell damage routinely (e.g., every round), because their abilities are expensive relative to their pool size and they have no way to regenerate TP (unless you've got a War Magus and a Hexer hanging out with them, but that requires two additional characters keeping another one running).

3. They therefore suffer in the vast majority of battles, which EO slants towards autoattacking (especially with the Medic's ability to, essentially, throw out free Cures every round).

So, you're saying your A is having trouble.

Point 2: They actually do, if you build their skills up right and exploit weaknesses where appropriate. The ranks of your skills are very probably overkill right now, and you might not have the TP Up skill maxed. If your skills are not overkill, you probably don't have analysis. Give your A's build a look and see where he can be made more efficient.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

So, you're saying your A is having trouble.

No. Don't fuckin' put words in my mouth and try reading what I actually wrote.
    Point 2: They actually do, if you build their skills up right and exploit weaknesses where appropriate. The ranks of your skills are very probably overkill right now, and you might not have the TP Up skill maxed. If your skills are not overkill, you probably don't have analysis. Give your A's build a look and see where he can be made more efficient.

Or, you know, I do have all of that. I've got maxed TP Up and maxed Analaysis.

I'll post my build from earlier; it's largely unchanged from where it was then (he's gone up a couple levels since then, and I've upgraded Megiddo for bosses / FOEs and added more points into the Flame, Fire Up, and Volt Up abilities).
    I think a lot of you are exaggerating the problems of the Alchemists in EO II. You need to keep them well equipped and make sure their spells are leveled appropriately for their character level and that you need to take time out early and max their tp. I get many many more casting of spells on my properly equipped end game Alchemists then you guys are alluding to.

No, I'm really not exaggerating it.

I'm looking at my Alchemist right now, and ...

He's level 50 with 341 TPs, rocking a Malice Rod (+8 Tec), Hard Mail (TP +10), Pumpkinhat (Tec +2, TP +10), and Rune Gage (Tec +2, TP +10). I've mastered TP Up and TEC Up.

I've got Fire Up at 5, Ice Up at 1, Volt Up at 1, Phys Up at 1, and Analysis mastered.

My spells are Fire at 5, Flame at 1, Inferno at 3, Ice at 2, Volt at 2, and Blades, Gravity, and Piercing at 1; and Megido at 4. As you can see, he's built to mainly throw Fire at shit as a result of a recent rest / respec.

Fire costs 16 TP. That means I can toss 21 total Fire spells before resting.

Flame costs 18 TP. So, I can cast 18 Flame spells before resting.

Inferno is 36 TP. This allows 9 Infernos before resting.

Ice is 10 - 34 before a rest.

Volt is 10 - 34 before a rest.

Blades, Gravity, and Piercing are all 20 TP, so 17 in combination before resting.

Megido is 47 - so, 7 uses before resting.

Looking at my bread-and-butter spells - Flame and Inferno - the Alchemist gets somewhere between 9 and 18 uses of his spells before he's tapped out. The problem is that I'm going to be in many, many, many more than 18 rounds of combat on each trip into the dungeon. Ergo, the Alchemist, on most turns, is not going to be casting anything. Yes, Flaming a badguy will almost certainly kill it in one hit - however, so will two rounds of War Magus / Protector attacking it. The Alchemist, then, is expending a large percentage of his TP in order to save me a couple rounds. Yes, everyone will take more damage, overall, with the WM / P attacking, but the Medic's got some cheap heals for which she'll regen the TP pretty quickly and healing items are cheap as hell from the store.

It's not that Alchemists are bad people, it's just that their schtick - casting offensive, damage-dealing spells - is too expensive for them to do every round or even most rounds, and therefore they spend a lot of time hanging around and making weak autoattacks. They're great panic buttons, and decent against FOEs (assuming you've got the requisite skill points in the appropriate elemental discipline to avoid doing 4 damage with an 18 TP spell), but I wish they had a bit more all-around utility and a bit more dungeon-staying power.

EDIT: You might point out that, for instance, my Medic is also standing around not casting spells for the majority of her combat turns, and so why aren't I complaining about her? This is true. However, my Medic is also passively healing everyone at the end of every battle, saves me thousands of GPs' worth of nectars and return-to-town annoyance over the course of the game, has increased my item drop rate by 41% (or whatever maxed Scavenge gives you), and, if she does need to cast a spell, will regen most or all of those TPs over the course of the next battle (she can cast an 80+ HP cure every round for 20 rounds and be down 20 total TP at the end of it).

As I added later on in response to other questions, the main "wasted" skill points I've got are in the physical skills. I could dump his three points in Str Up and the three physical spells, but:

1. They're his cheapest multitarget spells, at 20TP apiece
    2. Adding those points back into Fire Up, Ice Up, or Volt Up would have a negligible effect on the actual damage done (according to Gamefaqs, 1 skill point = +1% damage)
    3. Adding them to a spell would meaningfully increase the damage done, but at the cost of making the spell more expensive (and, therefore, making him less mana efficient given that he's usually one-shotting most things with this spells to begin with)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You put points into str on an Alchemist and you don't think you have build problems. I don't know what to tell you.

Xenogears of Bore on
This discussion has been closed.