As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Arcanum is a pretty fun game...

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Click the icon underneath on the right side, that shows magic. (the blue circle gimmick)

Tech has disciplines, Magic has Spells.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh. I thought you were talking about character sheet.

Heal is a passive skill. It's used with healing kits.. you need healing kits. Or magic potions.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Since you're a dwarf, I think you can only wear things that say "small", like "small tux" or "small chainmail". I could be wrong though, it's been awhile since I've played.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ohh. So Heal just helps those things work better?

I was thinking it was like first aid in Fallout.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought he meant the actual healing spell... We're all bad today. Also yeah, Dwarfs wear small armor/clothing.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, healing requires bandages. Drag one into a quick slot and use it like any other item. It's also not a bad idea to grab a single rank of herbology, since that lets you make a lot of healing salves out of very common plants.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Between this, Vampire: Bloodlines, Deus Ex, and Hitman: Blood Money, I have a suspicion that I'm not taking full advantage of my newly-built computer (the goal was "be able to run BF3 when it comes out"). However, I'm playing awesome games, so I guess it works out. :)

I recently started a dwarven thief in this - going with Throwing as my major weapon skill so I can chuck molotovs at dudes (and grenades, eventually). Is this going to be a hassle later? Should I invest in Melee or Guns as a backup to the boomerangs 'n' bombs? or will I be able to pick up decent fighter-type companions to shoulder the load? Or should I just not ask these questions and play the damn game?

dj.subversive on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just started, so I can't tell you much, but so far I can say that molotovs are super powerful in this game. At least they have been for me so far. I've won fights I otherwise would have lost almost instantly.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If I remember correctly, you can throw grenade weapons over and over again in turn based combat mode without using up any action points.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have dog in my party now. I was planning on killing that bitch gnome who was kicking him, but he cried for help and alerted a level 38 guard so I reloaded and let him run away this time.

I heard dog is pretty good to have in your party?

anoffday on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dog is a melee powerhouse, and doubly useful considering he doesn't count against your follower limit. He's basically a brute fang, which aren't the sturdiest critters in the game but among the hardest-hitting. Well worth a pickup if only to stop the game from switching to Fuck Off and Die mode whenever some new critter shows up.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, you can throw grenade weapons over and over again in turn based combat mode without using up any action points.

It's not action-free, but it is certainly very small.

And Dog is basically just easy mode. He can single handedly wreck a seething mass if you time things right.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The only thing I read is that having Dog means you can't ride the train.

But I want him in my party so I'll just walk. :D

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's good to walk around. Especially east of Tarant there are a lot of great hidden areas with cool treasure.

If you're evil then you'll spend a ton of time there on the quest for that one follower whos name I forget.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There was always a certain mystique about this game. I guess it is due to the old-time setting. Bethesda should pick it up and do something with it. If they did, they should keep the multiple ending aspect of it intact. That is the game's charm.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The other reason why playing a Mage is hilariously easy:

Teleport. Walking around the world or taking trains? That's for fucking peasants *warps halfway across the planet instantly*

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arcanum was so cool. I should probably dig up my copy one of these days and give it another play.

I was a melee techie with smithing and herbalism. I remember it being not too hard, and after I got a pyrotechnic ax it stopped being hard at all. The great thing about axes is they don't take damage from hitting doors or hard enemies. You could even make a pyrotechnic ax without even being a smith with enough manuals. I think you could buy the featherweight ax from a dwarven town and the fuel from anywhere.

There is also a pyrotechnic bow, but it requires some explosive. I though it was odd the ax was easier to get than the bow, but I never did check to see how powerful the bow is.

Another thing I remember was somehow disemboweling myself with the ax on a critical failure. That taught me the value of frequent saving.

Squigie on
    Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wait. Are you telling me you can make a flaming axe?

Why don't they make games like this anymore?

anoffday on
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Wait. Are you telling me you can make a flaming axe?

Why don't they make games like this anymore?
    Because unless the game gives you a handjob when you hit a checkpoint, modern popular opinion dictates that said game is a piece of shit.

There are serious interface and difficulty curve issues with this game, but I think it has enough redeeming qualities to merit playing (especially at these prices) for fans of the genre.

Not trying to go all "GET OFF MY LAWN WHIPPERSNAPPER!!!" here, but I do believe that entitlement complexes are hacking away at creative expression on a commercial level.

Back on (sort of) topic, I don't think steampunk, as a theme for games, should be killed before someone gets it closer to right. I bet Damnation probably ruined it for console action game pitches in the foreseeable future, but in my opinion someone really needs to step up and knock one out of the park. What do you guys think?

I'm sorry if this post is terribly irrelevant to the thread, but vodka compels me.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never got into Arcanum as much as I did with Troika's other offering - Vampire: Bloodlines - but I dug the character creation. Being able to make a dwarven gunslinger? Hell yes.

I wish they had more interesting companions though.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, Damnation didn't look like it had a good cover mechanic, every preview I saw looked awkward and disjointed.

Now I look forward to getting back to America and reinstalling. You can change your avatar on the hard drive and back in the day, I kept trying to put zero on there for my half elf gun and swordsman. This time, I will keep it simple and easy and roll a mage.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shitting on Damnation is probably way out of style by now, but that game was a prime example of fucking up a good idea, in my humble.

Back to Arcanum, what sort of multi-classing is viable early game without some patching witchcraft or save scumming?

I guess you could balance it out with specific broken-ass party members, but forcibly making the game that
    easy kind of ruins the experience for me.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaservalLaserval Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What I absolutely love about this game is how much thought seems to have gone into the setting. Perhaps that's why the game is the way it is; they spent all the development time on really thinking about how a world like Arcanum world work. There's just so much detail everywhere; they did not just say "there's magic and guns!" but actually considered what that would mean. The conflict between the ancient magical studies and the newfangled natural sciences is just great.

The music is also AMAZING, if a bit limited in length.

However, my Harm-wielding mage is stuck near the end, due to a lack of potions.
    Bloody Void and those stupid tentacle monsters.

Laserval on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn you thread! Now I have to start yet another play through.

Pekka, the Gentleman Ogre. I choose you!

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did someone say music? I HEARD MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like you didn't build quite right, Laserval. A Harm-wielding mage should have a lot more than Harm by that point in the game. In particular, I like to have my Mage take the Charlatan's Protege background so I can have more followers than God. It's not like I have any use for Combat skills or Str/Con anyway.

My mage was so hilariously overpowered by the end of the game, I had enough skills and blessings to just go "Eh whatever" and melee everything to death with my fucking 9 strength.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Arcanum soundtrack is free to be downloaded just in case some people were wondering

Peas on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The key to success as a techie is A) Balanced Swords. They attack at warp speed, making up for their ho-hum attack power. High dex and a balanced sword means a million attacks per round. And B) Pyrotechnic Axes ASAP. Getting the schematic is a bit of a bitch, it is well guarded, and once you have it you need to be able to make Feather-weight Axes and for some irritating reason I could NEVER FIND THE HAFTS NEEDED TO MAKE THOSE seriously what the hell. I ended up buying Feather-Weights from <spoiler>

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Peas wrote: »
    The Arcanum soundtrack is free to be downloaded just in case some people were wondering

They even have the sheet music available if you have a string quarter at your disposal.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The other key to success as a techie, and for that matter anyone:

Get Dog. GET DOG. Sogg Mead-Mugg is also pretty damn effective.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember this game as...um...I'm-a-magic-man-oh-look-I-can-wander-the-wilds-hey!-I'm-max-level.

And then I entered the second town and kinda lost interest. Killing stuff was easy, I couldn't level anymore, bleh. I tried restarting as a techie but it was painful compared to being able to send arcane fury at my enemies without fail.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Uh

You'd have to wander the wilds for a long time to hit max level. Max level is 50 and the exp requirements get kind of hefty.

Edit: Literally the only way I can imagine that happening is that you somehow MANUALLY WALKED all the way to Tarant instead of using map travel, but that would take hours and hours and hours and I'm not even sure how you'd survive that without copious resting.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't think you're thinking of the same game here. Leveling takes a long time.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Weird. My other post disappeared. (server is busy, etc etc)

No, I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of this game. Was level 50 before I stepped into my second town (which was some kind of place run by medieval knights). Game starts with a crashed blimp, right? There's a graveyard with a lot of people's names in (developers and stuff)? There's a dragon's cave/den place? I explored the wild, found stuff, killed stuff. Took me 2 evenings.

Was a fun game though. I remember spells made things pretty easy.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Were you like manually walking around everywhere and not using the map to fast travel around? That's the only way I can envision what you describe working. Also, there is no second town as such it's completely free form. Technically you're "intended" to go to Tarant, the London-esque place after the blimp.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    The other reason why playing a Mage is hilariously easy:

Teleport. Walking around the world or taking trains? That's for fucking peasants *warps halfway across the planet instantly*

I've played tech characters, but nowadays I play mages because they really got that "high level mages are gods" thing down.

Love this game so much.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Were you like manually walking around everywhere and not using the map to fast travel around? That's the only way I can envision what you describe working. Also, there is no second town as such it's completely free form. Technically you're "intended" to go to Tarant, the London-esque place after the blimp.

There's fast travel? Now that I don't remember. I walked everywhere.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I'm surprised you didn't take note of the fact that it takes a goddamn eternity to get anywhere and that doing so entailed endlessly recycled hours of the same tilesets, and think something might be wrong.

You're not meant to walk everywhere. You're meant to hit the big glowing blue globe button at the top left and fast travel. You occasionally get pulled aside by random encounters, both combat and non-combat, while fast travelling.

Edit: Virgil even prompts you to do this in the beginning, when you're leaving the Blimp Wreck.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

What the fuck?

You need to be studied in a lab.

You ran through randomly generated wilderness for two days and got to level 50 before giving up on the game?

I dont even

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »

What the fuck?

You need to be studied in a lab.

You ran through randomly generated wilderness for two days and got to level 50 before giving up on the game?

I dont even

Even doing that, there's no way you max levelled in two evenings. My ex-bf played the thing non-stop for weeks and still never maxed his level.

You may have maxed something, but it wasn't character level.

Magic Pink on