As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to turn 'em down

celandinecelandine Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
You have a first date. Results: meh. How do you avoid having a second date?

This seems to be happening to me all the time now and I don't know how best to handle it without hurting anyone's feelings. The guys get sad and resentful if I just don't answer their calls or emails. If I say, "I'm busy, but maybe later" they take it literally and ask when I'll be free next. My usual modes of evasion are not working.

Right now, the dude in question seems to be a nice enough guy. Nothing wrong with him, I'm just not in love with him. I'm starting to wonder if I'm too picky, but I'd really prefer not to keep going out with him.

Advice??

I write about math here:
http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
celandine on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You tell the truth?

"I had a good time, but I just don't think it's there." or something to the effect.

Thread over. Thanks!

Esh on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are these people you know or internet dates or what?

Not answering them is a shitty way out so just try and be straight with them. If they are effectively strangers then their feelings wont be that hurt. If they are people you know but aren't into that way then why go on dates in the first place?

I'm also sure that most people don't fall in love after one date :P

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Be straightforward but not overly harsh with them.

Just say something along the lines that you aren't feeling any chemistry between you, and that while you don't dislike them you don't want to continue dating them either. They aren't going to be happy about it, but that's going to be true no matter how you go about it, and this way they won't feel you've been stringing them along or giving them mixed signals or anything.

Smasher on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shoot man, it's not your fault if things didn't click. Don't feel bad. In fact, the faster you let them know, the better off they'll be. Just tell them you didn't feel it going anywhere.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Depends on how old you are. If they are young they'll take it hard no matter what, so don't let that factor into your decision.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "Dear Baby, welcome to Dumpsville. Population: You."

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just be as literal as possible in explaining what you want, and don't leave any room for interpretation. Evasion just means playing hard to get, it's a game to many people.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I know them (two, not well; one was a friend). I'm 21 (is that young?)

I guess honesty.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    I know them (two, not well; one was a friend). I'm 21 (is that young?)

I guess honesty.

It is the best policy.

Esh on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    "Six words: I'm not gay, but I'll learn."

But yes, OP, please be straightforward. "Letting 'em down easy" is too often confused with "being evasive and therefore inadvertently emotionally disingenuous". In short, you're leading them on, which, while I'm sure you have no ill intentions, only serves to make you the bad girl or guy.

Don't be overly verbose with it, either.
    Esh wrote:
    "I had a good time, but I just don't think it's there."

is just about perfect.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Be honest and tell them exactly what you posted.

I mean, hey- sometimes it just doesn't click, and if he's not 14 then he'll probably understand this (and he'll probably respect the directness and lack of 'playing games').

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    getting told the other person doesn't want a second date isn't great if you do, but it's way worse to get your time wasted because the other person isn't being clear about that fact.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Esh nailed it. We're born and raised to get beat up, so getting rejected ain't so bad. Getting strung along (even unintentionally) is much, much worse.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can't fake it, so you shouldn't beat yourself up over telling a dude "hey, you're nice, but I don't think it's going to work out."

Of course, you don't have to make the first move. If the dude doesn't call you or try to set up a second date, he might feel the same way as you do.

One thing, though -- you say "he's nice, but I don't love him." That's a bit weird, IMO, because most people don't fall in love with someone much after 1 date. Usually they have a good feeling about the person, of course, so it might just be a question of word choice. So you shouldn't feel bad that you don't dig the dude, but if you're going on a lot of dates with guys you don't want to date after the first, you may want to spend some time w/o dating to see what it is that you actually want out of a relationship at this point.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just chiming in with the others who say let em know. Having been on the receiving end of "I had a great time" then never hearing from the person again... ever... is just a horribly rude thing to do to someone.

You don't have to be a blunt and heartless bastard about it, but a simple "I had a good time, but I just didn't feel a connection" or whatever is infinitely better than leading them on and/or leaving them in limbo.

Also, never leave them an opening for further dates unless you mean it. While I'd imagine most would get the hint that you don't... best to hedge your bets and just not go there unless you actually mean to leave that door open.

And while this isn't necessary, if there is some glaring reason WHY you don't want a second date, you may want to be nice and let them know (within reason). If this person has a string of first dates but doesn't know why, they could do worse than getting a bit of info that might actually help them improve their lot in life.

If they give off creepy axe murderer vibe, then feel free to disregard everything above... there's always exceptions!

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    You have a first date. Results: meh. How do you avoid having a second date?

This seems to be happening to me all the time now and I don't know how best to handle it without hurting anyone's feelings. The guys get sad and resentful if I just don't answer their calls or emails. If I say, "I'm busy, but maybe later" they take it literally and ask when I'll be free next. My usual modes of evasion are not working.

Right now, the dude in question seems to be a nice enough guy. Nothing wrong with him, I'm just not in love with him. I'm starting to wonder if I'm too picky, but I'd really prefer not to keep going out with him.

Advice??

Nothing wrong with your approach, but the "maybe later" part has to go. They'll catch on, but don't feel bad about turning them down, it's part of the game. Also being honest and telling them what is it that you didn't like, as long as it's something they can change (no you are too short, asian or stuff like that), is cool.

Wonder how to turn off a guy? Start talking about your ex A WHOLE LOT all the time. Also talk about your celebrity crushes a whole lot, specially effective if you mention Edward and/or Jacob

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe love is poor word choice...

let me put it this way. He'd make a fine friend, but usually if you want to date someone there's a little "something extra." The nasty truth is that I already know people who are smarter and more interesting than he is. Not the guy's fault, but some people are just more exciting company than others.

He gets one more date (he wheedled it out of me) and then the nice clean break. Thanks, all.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whatever you do now or going forward, don't go the "if I just ignore him long enough he'll get the idea" route. That's a bitch move. As in weak and contemptible.

You're an adult, or old enough to fake it. Be direct without being awful. Any man that can't handle that isn't someone you want to spend time with.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Go out for a short second date, go dutch, and dump him at the end, most likely by saying that you won't be calling him back. This should ensure that he feels he's gotten a fair shake.

If you want other advice, I could tell you what I tell people who come to me for technical advice: "Punch him in the nuts and run."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You shouldn't be falling in love by the second date

it would probably take a couple dates before the guys really start coming out of their shell

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone falling in love by the second day is a recipe for disaster.

But there must be a spark from the beginning, it should be fun, not a chore

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Team Jacob!
    Got it.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    So tell him you just want to be friends.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    six simple words: i'm not gay, but i'll learn

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Three important rules for breaking up
    Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to
    Prolonging the situation only makes it worse
    Tell him honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly
    Don't make a big production
    Don't make up an elaborate story
    This will help you avoid a big tear jerking scene
    If you wanna date other people say so
    Be prepared for the boy to feel hurt and rejected
    Even if you've gone together for only a short time,
    And haven't been too serious,
    There's still a feeling of rejection
    When someone says she prefers the company of others
    To your exclusive company,
    But if you're honest, and direct,
    And avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you brake the news,
    The boy will respect you for your frankness,
    And honestly he'll appreciate the kind of straight forward manner
    In which you told him your decision
    Unless he's a real jerk or a cry baby you'll remain friends

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forkes wrote: »

pretty much all of this. don't be evasive and avoid the guy, be up front and honest about it.

retrovm on
  • Options
    GirlPantsGirlPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I recommend the D.E.N.N.I.S. System. hahaha :P

GirlPants on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The guys get sad and resentful if I just don't answer their calls or emails. If I say, "I'm busy, but maybe later" they take it literally and ask when I'll be free next. My usual modes of evasion are not working.

Just so you know, your usual modes of evasion kind of make you a dick. I really don't like it when people do the latter. The former is a poor way to handle it, but the latter is leading people on, and that's definitely not cool.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    but on the other side of things, i went on one date once, told the dude "not feeling it, i dont want to date anymore" and he started off by laughing and not taking me seriously, then he begged, then he started telling me i was ruining my own life by not dating him and i would regret it.

so, you know, honesty IS the best policy, but it doesn't always work because some men are desperate.

mully on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mully wrote: »
    but on the other side of things, i went on one date once, told the dude "not feeling it, i dont want to date anymore" and he started off by laughing and not taking me seriously, then he begged, then he started telling me i was ruining my own life by not dating him and i would regret it.

so, you know, honesty IS the best policy, but it doesn't always work because some men are desperate.

Yeah, but the situation would probably have just been worse if you had evaded, since he wouldn't have even gotten a clear signal of disinterest

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mully wrote: »

Crazy is crazy no matter how you slice it. Which would you prefer, a few minutes of awkwardness, or him coming to your house/work/school because you never called him?

admanb on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    The worst yet most concisely effective "I'm not into you" I've ever heard came from a guy I saw twice. I really enjoyed hanging out with him, he was interesting and also cute. I asked him out on a third date and he said to me, "When we go out, you have a great time. I just have a time." I certainly never called him again.

Maybe you don't want to be quite that condescending, but honest and concise is good, and as crappy as that was to hear I can't fault him for not feeling a connection with someone (even if the someone is me).

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Forkes wrote: »
    FTW.

I always fucking loved this song.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Whatever you do now or going forward, don't go the "if I just ignore him long enough he'll get the idea" route. That's a bitch move. As in weak and contemptible.

as someone who has had this happen to him several times I cannot overemphasize the importance of this advice

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    The worst yet most concisely effective "I'm not into you" I've ever heard came from a guy I saw twice. I really enjoyed hanging out with him, he was interesting and also cute. I asked him out on a third date and he said to me, "When we go out, you have a great time. I just have a time." I certainly never called him again.

Maybe you don't want to be quite that condescending, but honest and concise is good, and as crappy as that was to hear I can't fault him for not feeling a connection with someone (even if the someone is me).

damn, that is cold

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Beasteh wrote: »
    HeraldS wrote: »

as someone who has had this happen to him several times I cannot overemphasize the importance of this advice

This is pretty much the story of my dating life for the past couple years, and it sucks. Kudos to the OP for seeking a different way.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    "For you, when we go out it's the best time of your life. But for me? It's just Tuesday."

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    "For you, when we go out it's the best time of your life. But for me? It's just Tuesday."

You sir... deserve props for this.
    Well played.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You have every right to turn down the guy if things didn't "click"

Don't feel guilty about it, just stop returning his calls. If he's a sane guy he'll stop pursuing after a bit, and if he's relentless, well, that should tell you volumes about his character, and probably saved you a great deal of time, energy and most of all, future frustration you'd have to put up with.

I went out with a girl recently. Met up with her once for coffee, went out with her once, and when I tried contacting her after the holidays I got nothing but voice mail. Gave it a few days, called to see if she'd pick up (she didn't), so I forgot about her and moved on with my day.

Most guys aren't used to rejection enough; that's his problem, not yours.

Godfather on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hate the ignore thing so much! Thankfully I don't have to worry about that anymore, but ffs never ever do that.

"I had a nice time but I'm not that into you."
    Done and done.

rfalias on