As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game sales thread December: It's over, use the new thread

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm enough of a Nintendo's holy trinity whore that I am tempted to play Darksiders just so I have a "Zelda" game to hold me over until Zelda Wii comes out. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Gameplay-wise, it's such a blatant, flagrant rip-off of God Of War that if some no-name indie publisher released it and not EA, I'd be pretty sure that Sony would sue them.

Hahahah. That's cute. Post of the day.

GoW fucking sucked. Elevating it so high and pretending that it's being emulated is ridiculous.

Yes, I can't imagine any developer would ever emulate a game series that's sold over 5 million units, especially a developer/publisher as committed to innovation as EA, simply because you oh so articulately think that game series "fucking sucked".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm enough of a Nintendo's holy trinity whore that I am tempted to play Darksiders just so I have a "Zelda" game to hold me over until Zelda Wii comes out. :P

Hardcore Zelda at that. :winky:

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Gameplay-wise, it's such a blatant, flagrant rip-off of God Of War that if some no-name indie publisher released it and not EA, I'd be pretty sure that Sony would sue them.

GoW fucking sucked. Elevating it so high and pretending that it's being emulated is ridiculous.

Yes, I can't imagine any developer would ever emulate a game series that's sold over 5 million units, especially a developer/publisher as committed to innovation as EA, simply because you oh so articulately think that game series "fucking sucked".

I was laughing at the idea of Sony suing someone for "ripping them off" when the product in question is God of War.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I was laughing at the idea of Sony suing someone for "ripping them off" when the product in question is God of War.

Have you played the Dante's Inferno demo?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Does that have anything to do with Sony suing someone over plagiarism being funny?

Sheep on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just don't get that same level of enjoyment out of it any more that I used to. The novelty is gone. The freshness is gone. I don't get that "feeling" like I'm "playing" the music any more.

The exact same feeling that musicians had when they played the game.

You got that right. My non-musician friends were baffled at my reaction to Guitar Hero/Rock Band. A pretty solid "meh."

Of course, if you didn't spend over half of your life rehearsing, gigging and touring, I can totally understand the attraction. I put it to a friend of mine this way, "How much would you enjoy IT Pro: The Game?"

And the fact that the genre is really moving like it was? Just how many versions of the game do they expect people to snap up?

Drake on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

The Giant Bombcast this week really made it sound great—according to Jeff, it makes no qualms about its roots (it even has freaking bomb plants) and certainly has its problems, but it's a solid game in its own right and even as an appetizer for Zelda fans to get their fix, it totally works.

I really loved Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but I never played Ocarina or Majora in their heyday and when I went back to try them I found them completely flat; Twilight Princess did a little more for me, but after 10 hours I just didn't have any desire to keep pushing through the game. I don't know if what Darksiders adds to the formula would make it more palatable to me, but damned if I don't keep trying these kinds of games.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

The Giant Bombcast this week really made it sound great—according to Jeff, it makes no qualms about its roots (it even has freaking bomb plants) and certainly has its problems, but it's a solid game in its own right and even as an appetizer for Zelda fans to get their fix, it totally works.

I really loved Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but I never played Ocarina or Majora in their heyday and when I went back to try them I found them completely flat; Twilight Princess did a little more for me, but after 10 hours I just didn't have any desire to keep pushing through the game. I don't know if what Darksiders adds to the formula would make it more palatable to me, but damned if I don't keep trying these kinds of games.

Link to the Past is still my favorite game of the series, but gall dernnit if I don't love all those that came after.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Bout the same. Though I did get Ocarina on launch night, and was completely wowed by the first couple of hours (The opening scenes of Hyrule Field were particularly impressive), OoT felt like a more restrictive LttP. It had the Dual World thing going on, but felt like there was a bit less exploration.

OoT is, IMO, still a good game, just not as good.

I quit playing Twilight about half way through. Got too old for me. I'll let you know when I stop playing Darksiders and why if you haven't picked it up by then.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I love this comic:

759954321_E7mFJ-L.jpg

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Does that have anything to do with Sony suing someone over plagiarism being funny?

Because there's a difference between being influenced by a game and trying to clone it.

That difference is made much more obvious if you've actually played the games being discussed.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Bout the same. Though I did get Ocarina on launch night, and was completely wowed by the first couple of hours (The opening scenes of Hyrule Field were particularly impressive), OoT felt like a more restrictive LttP. It had the Dual World thing going on, but felt like there was a bit less exploration.

I quit playing Twilight about half way through. Got too old for me. I'll let you know when I stop playing Darksiders and why if you haven't picked it up by then.

Awesome, thanks. :) I won't be getting any games for a long while due to lack of funds, but I've had Darksiders tagged for a future "buy 2 get 1 free used" GameStop deal.

And that comic is wonderful because it's so uncomfortably true. I feel the exact same way and I have almost no way of explaining why.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really loved Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but I never played Ocarina or Majora in their heyday and when I went back to try them I found them completely flat;

Lunker, please stop living my life. First the iPhone games, now the netbook, and the exact same Zelda experience. I am an individual!

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Same here. Loved Link to the Past & Link's Awakening, thought that Ocarina of Time was a big step backwards. Haven't played Majora's Mask, but I'm afraid that I'd like it even less (I hear that the focus is on sidequests which have always been my least favorite part of Zelda games - give me cool dungeons & a nifty overworld!) By the time that Twilight Princess came around, I felt like they had finally managed to make a good 3D Zelda, unfortunately, it was so long after the perfection that was those early 2D Zeldas that I didn't care as much as I would have thought.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Awesome, thanks. :) I won't be getting any games for a long while due to lack of funds, but I've had Darksiders tagged for a future "buy 2 get 1 free used" GameStop deal.

And that comic is wonderful because it's so uncomfortably true. I feel the exact same way and I have almost no way of explaining why.

A Link to the Past is my all time favorite game. OoT is my second.

I have yet to feel anything close to meh while playing Darksiders. So far, it is excatly what I wanted it to be. And I haven't even gotten my horse yet. I expect a full blown joygasm when I get it.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I really loved Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but I never played Ocarina or Majora in their heyday and when I went back to try them I found them completely flat;

Lunker, please stop living my life. First the iPhone games, now the netbook, and the exact same Zelda experience. I am an individual!

An individual with distinguished tastes. :)

To bring it to a sales perspective (oh crap, and today is NPD day, right?), I think Darksiders is going to do a lot better than I and a lot of people initially suspected. I've seen a lot of in-store displays at GameStop, TV ads and even Dashboard ads on the 360 Spotlight screen. Certainly it'll sell more than Bayonetta, though based on buzz I think both of those made a wise decision in skipping out the crowded November and hitting before the next wave of Christmas II, as cloudeagle puts it. :)

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Christas II. D:

I truly dread the next couple of months. It'll be a slaughter, bodies everywhere. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Cool, but sad too I guess :P

Unusual to see such a high level of burn-out. I know what you mean though, my plastic guitar fingers are pretty much done-and-done.

Did you ever get decent at the drums?

Yeah, it sucks to get burned out on it. I poured probably hundreds upon hundreds of hours into Guitar Heroes 1, 2, and 3, and Rock Band 1 and a little into Guitar Hero 4. But even after getting Rock Band 2 the burned out feeling had already started to set in.

I just don't get that same level of enjoyment out of it any more that I used to. The novelty is gone. The freshness is gone. I don't get that "feeling" like I'm "playing" the music any more. My skill has plateaued on every instrument so I don't get that rewarding/satisfying feeling of progressively building skill. It's still fun but I have no desire to spend any more money on it, and at this point I'd rather be playing other games.

As far as drums, I got okay at them before burning out on this stuff. I can play a good chunk of songs on Expert and nearly every song on Hard pretty easily. The thing that trips me up on Expert is the foot pedal; not keeping track of it with my eyes and rhythm, but rather, I can't physically get my leg to do the proper motion to hit certain beats. Oh well. I enjoy playing Lead Guitar the most, still, anyway.

I know this is jumping back a few pages, but have you played RB: Beatles? I've been having the exact same Rock Band burnout, but I found 3-player Beatles with everyone voxtarring (voxdrumming?) and trying to nail the harmonies to be pretty darn close to recreating the magic of playing RB1 for the first time.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The NPDs are today right?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    The NPDs are today right?
    Roughly 3 hours.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Unusual to see such a high level of burn-out. I know what you mean though, my plastic guitar fingers are pretty much done-and-done.

Yeah, it sucks to get burned out on it. I poured probably hundreds upon hundreds of hours into Guitar Heroes 1, 2, and 3, and Rock Band 1 and a little into Guitar Hero 4. But even after getting Rock Band 2 the burned out feeling had already started to set in.

I just don't get that same level of enjoyment out of it any more that I used to. The novelty is gone. The freshness is gone. I don't get that "feeling" like I'm "playing" the music any more. My skill has plateaued on every instrument so I don't get that rewarding/satisfying feeling of progressively building skill. It's still fun but I have no desire to spend any more money on it, and at this point I'd rather be playing other games.

As far as drums, I got okay at them before burning out on this stuff. I can play a good chunk of songs on Expert and nearly every song on Hard pretty easily. The thing that trips me up on Expert is the foot pedal; not keeping track of it with my eyes and rhythm, but rather, I can't physically get my leg to do the proper motion to hit certain beats. Oh well. I enjoy playing Lead Guitar the most, still, anyway.

I know this is jumping back a few pages, but have you played RB: Beatles? I've been having the exact same Rock Band burnout, but I found 3-player Beatles with everyone voxtarring (voxdrumming?) and trying to nail the harmonies to be pretty darn close to recreating the magic of playing RB1 for the first time.

To be fair, dump hundreds of hours into anything and you'll generally get some burnout. :P

Slash's comment about "I'd rather be playing other games" gives his perspective—he's looking at it as a video gamer instead of someone who wants to listen/experience music. Like, I'll play a song with a boring or repetitive chart if I love the song; the Foo Fighters and Weezer tracks get the most play in our house, and they're generally simple and easy as hell. So unless he's a diehard Beatles fan, I don't think it'll change his opinion much.

And I don't mean that in a demeaning way or anything; it's just that long-time reactions to the game depend on where you're coming from. As a game for the sake of gaming, it does get pretty old pretty fast, especially when your skills plateau at the top or otherwise peak and you don't get that high from challenging yourself anymore. Or else you find yourself spending money every week for new tunes, only to play them once and look forward to the chance at spending more money.

I've definitely stopped buying tons of DLC in Rock Band 2, and it doesn't come out as often, but I sure as hell still love it. Like, I don't reach for it when I want to play a game, I reach for it when I want to listen to music, you know? I might be a bit of an anomaly, though, since I can actually play guitar but I still love my plastic rock just the same. Hell, having tried the terrible stress of being in a real band briefly, I appreciate even more than a whole backing crew is at my beck and call, and then I can walk away from practice whenever I feel like it!

Lunker on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Engadget's saying the Nintendo DS: Large Print Edition will hit Europe March 5. Still no word on when the U.S. version comes out. Surely we wouldn't be the last to get it... right?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/13/mobile-app-analytics-firm-guesstimates-nexus-one-hasnt-sold-lik/

Heh, if it does come out in March here too, that means Christmas II just got that much crazier.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have a hunch press sites will be getting info on the U.S. launch of the DSi XL in the next few weeks. Just a hunch. Also, I'm also curious to see when we'll hear about the Endless Ocean sequel, and whatever happened to that crazy Wario Ware DSi maker thing?

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have a hunch press sites will be getting info on the U.S. launch of the DSi XL in the next few weeks. Just a hunch. Also, I'm also curious to see when we'll hear about the Endless Ocean sequel, and whatever happened to that crazy Wario Ware DSi maker thing?

Endless Ocean: Blue World has already been slated for Mid-February, and in fact I'm going to pre-order it Sunday. It still has online swimming and WiiSpeak capabilities.

It's one of the four must have games I'm slated on buying in the next couple of months.

As far as music games go, I mostly play them to listen to the music I love, and my wife and I throw Guitar Hero parties with a bunch of friends every few weeks or so. It's basically our home kareoke machine. :P

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Ocean-Blue-World-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BS47L2

February 22nd is Endless Ocean: Blue Oceans release date.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wiat, Endless Ocean 2's release date wasn't scribbled into your mind calendar? Shame on you. And shame on anyone who doesn't buy it.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This one lets you dive and swim in the Amazon with Crocs and Piranhas! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

To be fair, dump hundreds of hours into anything and you'll generally get some burnout. :P

Slash's comment about "I'd rather be playing other games" gives his perspective—he's looking at it as a video gamer instead of someone who wants to listen/experience music. Like, I'll play a song with a boring or repetitive chart if I love the song; the Foo Fighters and Weezer tracks get the most play in our house, and they're generally simple and easy as hell. So unless he's a diehard Beatles fan, I don't think it'll change his opinion much.

And I don't mean that in a demeaning way or anything; it's just that long-time reactions to the game depend on where you're coming from. As a game for the sake of gaming, it does get pretty old pretty fast, especially when your skills plateau at the top or otherwise peak and you don't get that high from challenging yourself anymore. Or else you find yourself spending money every week for new tunes, only to play them once and look forward to the chance at spending more money.

I've definitely stopped buying tons of DLC in Rock Band 2, and it doesn't come out as often, but I sure as hell still love it. Like, I don't reach for it when I want to play a game, I reach for it when I want to listen to music, you know? I might be a bit of an anomaly, though, since I can actually play guitar but I still love my plastic rock just the same. Hell, having tried the terrible stress of being in a real band briefly, I appreciate even more than a whole backing crew is at my beck and call, and then I can walk away from practice whenever I feel like it!

I agree 100%. It's just that for me, even as someone who got bored of the skill plateau of Expert/Expert voxtarring in RB2, the gaming experience of playing a fake instrument while having to coordinate vocal harmony with friends provided a different and challenging enough experience to grab my interest as a gamer.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This one lets you dive and swim in the Amazon with Crocs and Piranhas! :D

And the Arctic, with whales and... Greenland sharks? Fuck that would be awesome.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    NPD preview
    PA       GAF       WEDBUSH     EEDAR
    1. WII     3.05M     2.96M      3.20M       3.00M
    2. NDS     2.98M     3.16M      2.45M       2.80M
    3. X360    1.36M    1.41M     1.35M      1.49M
    4. PS3     1.27M     1.28M      1.40M       1.45M
    5. PSP     0.605M    0.575M    0.650M     0.700M
    6. PS2     0.310M    0.362M    0.350M     0.350M

GAF's the only place with NDS>Wii

Software:
    PA      GAF      SimExchange
    1. NSMB         2.28M     2.47M    2.29M
    2. MW2(360)     1.25M     1.47M    1.68M
    3. MW2(PS3)    0.725M    0.757M   0.873M
    4. FFCCCB       33.1K     -----    -----
    5. SW $         2.52B    2.71B     2.46B

We're a bunch of debbie downers here when it comes to software. Those with a keen eye for system war tomfoolery will note that both we and gaf are predicting NSMB>MW2.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Did you get my numbers in?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yes I already had them, when I was copy-pasting the reminder from the previous thread I forgot to update all the names.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yes I already had them, when I was copy-pasting the reminder from the previous thread I forgot to update all the names.

Ah, groovy. Thanks.

Not that mine will be anywhere close to reality, based on my track record. :P

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Because there's a difference between being influenced by a game and trying to clone it.

That difference is made much more obvious if you've actually played the games being discussed.

There is nothing in Dante's Inferno that Sony can sue for

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Capcom can, though. Alighieri totally ripped off Dante and Virgil's names from them.

Lunker on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5448139/despite-rise-in-game-quality-ea-boss-faces-fierce-doubts?skyline=true&s=x
    On Tuesday, financial analysts were sounding the call for change in a news story that reported that EA's stock price has dropped 70 percent during Riccitiello's tenure, from $52 in 2007 to $16.25 on Tuesday. (It's at $17.11 right now.) Oft-quoted Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter told Reuters that EA's current management had "zero credibility" with investors and predicted that the top execs at EA wouldn't last another year if the company's financial well being wasn't turned around. Analyst Arvin Bhatia of Sterne, Agee & Leach said "some drastic action" is needed.
    That comic is still so true.

http://kotaku.com/5447897/how-xbox-could-have-helped-the-dreamcast-survive
    There have been rumors for years that Microsoft planned to buy Japanese game maker SEGA. But did you know SEGA hoped to make the original Xbox compatible with Dreamcast games?

The SEGA Dreamcast was launched in late 1998 to great fanfare. The console — featuring dial-up online — was years ahead of its time. Then the Sony's PlayStation 2 launched, and the SEGA console never recovered.

SEGA Chairman Isao Okawa was not willing to go down without a fight. "Before Mr. Okawa passed away," tweets former Microsoft exec Sam Furukawa, "he visited Gates several times, to see if it would be possible to add Dreamcast compatibility into the Xbox." According to Furukawa, Okawa was offering the SEGA assets to Xbox, it seems, which would create a path for Dreamcast customers to migrate to the Xbox.

Even if the Dreamcast was dying, this move would keep the platform alive and maybe even give it a second wind.

Okawa insisted that internet was indispensable for the Dreamcast games, it seems, but Microsoft didn't want an internet connection for the Dreamcast titles and negotiations fell apart.

(Of course, Microsoft pushed online gaming for its own Xbox titles; however, one has to wonder what expenses it would incur by not only making its Xbox play DC games, but play them online.)

Furukawa says that Okawa negotiated with Gates himself, but he was unable to work out a deal to pass on the Dreamcast customers. Before Okawa, Furukawa adds, he gave over roughly US$ 900 million from his personal fortune to SEGA in order to keep the company afloat.

Okawa passed away in Tokyo on March 16, 2001 due to heart failure. He was 74. The Dreamcast went out of production later that year. The chairman who followed Okawa decided that SEGA should focus on software production.

SEGA of America exec Peter Moore, the man who has admitted to making the decision to stop producing the Dreamcast, joined Microsoft in 2003.

CSK Holdings, the company Okawa created, owned the major stock share in SEGA until 2004 when CSK's shares were bought by Sammy, a pachinko company. And Microsoft continues to struggle in the Japanese market.

Furukawa is currently a professor at Japan's Keio University.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

And I think, essentially, it's also a bigger factor when somebody is competitive about the experience. I continue to play RB2 because I just like playing it. Of course I try to improve my scores, but I don't really care in the long run (the leaderboards are fucked anyway).

In the end, as long as whomever is saying they're no longer enjoying game X as much as they were before isn't using this as a kind of cudgel against those who still do like playing it, then there's really no harm done.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only reason to play Rock Band is to play it with a friend. Because it is the only co-op game of note this generation.

The reason I play single-player at all is pretty much so that I have a wider variety of songs to select when I'm playing with friends.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I know that. My original comment contained just a pinch of exaggeration for comedic effect.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only reason to play Rock Band is to play it with a friend. Because it is the only co-op game of note this generation.

I'd add Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Crackdown, Castle Crashers, Splosion Man, Geometry Wars 2, Halo Wars, EDF 2017, and L4D to that for a start :P

But yeah, it is awesome with a group of you. I enjoy playing solo too though, drums especially. Drums on expert can double as a workout!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg