As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The NOVEMBER PICK-UP THREAD of only one month left 'till Egg Nog Latte season.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    You're going to be pissed at me for finding this, but a few months ago I found Zone of the Enders 2 for $5.

That's what the Canadian EBs have it listed for - but none in my city have a copy. I wonder, if I call every EB in Canada, would they send it out to a local store?

Assuming I could find a copy, of course.

Good luck finding one with it at that price.

Then again i did find a release (black label) copy of Final Fantasy VII for $10 in one of their bargain bins last year.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I don't think blu-ray anime is all that worth it though honestly.
    Yeah...2D animation on Blu-ray is really iffy for me to even notice the difference

Tbh getting it on BR had nothing to do with wanting a super-sharp picture. It was five bucks more than the DVD version and you get more episodes per disc.

No watching on computer though. Not unless you have a bluray drive.

Still though, whatever, Samurai Champloo is awesome. I need to watch that through again.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Samurai Champloo is nuts on DVD. It's like, 3 episodes a disc.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Stuff I've acquired in February or so:

februarystuff.jpg

Just got the bottom 3 today. Any good? Well, could be bottom four depending on how you look at it. Gantz + DAO + Speed Racer.

Speed Racer on blu-ray?

Fuck yes.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's one of those movies that is just as bad as you think it will be, but at the same time way, way better.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's one of those movies that is just as bad as you think it will be, but at the same time way, way better.

Exactly; I went in with mediocre expectations, and was totally blown away. And the visuals on blu-ray just made me love blu-ray even more.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speed Racer is amazing

Pitch-perfect casting

Love Matthew Fox as Racer X

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is star ocean international actually any good?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I enjoy it.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I enjoy it.

The only part I didn't care for about Star Ocean was the grinding. I know most RPG's have some, but this is 'well sorry you hafta grind here, else miss trophies and such'.

Running through areas killing the same monsters repeatedly trying to gain 1-3% per kill so you can 'research' them got pretty old, and some monsters only appear in very limited areas, for a limited part of the storyline, so if you see something new, you'd better start camping that spot.

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty fun game.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hillean wrote: »

I enjoy it.

The only part I didn't care for about Star Ocean was the grinding. I know most RPG's have some, but this is 'well sorry you hafta grind here, else miss trophies and such'.

Running through areas killing the same monsters repeatedly trying to gain 1-3% per kill so you can 'research' them got pretty old, and some monsters only appear in very limited areas, for a limited part of the storyline, so if you see something new, you'd better start camping that spot.

I didn't bother with researching. I just went about my business with the story, so it didn't bug me too much.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I enjoy it.

I didn't bother with researching. I just went about my business with the story, so it didn't bug me too much.

But... TROPHIES MAN, TROPHIES

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I enjoy it.

But... TROPHIES MAN, TROPHIES

It was achievements back when I first bought it on 360. :wink:

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Isn't the story kinda rubbish though?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Isn't the sotry kinda rubbish though?

It's a JRPG, most are the same thing re-hashed anyhow, but overall its fun to play and the story is kind of unique.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The international version has a Japanese track, right? So the voice acting isn't AS bad?

Anyhow, all I really got this month was Miles Edgeworth and No More Heroes 2.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I guess technically I picked up Edgeworth and Bayonetta. Doing some real introspection about Goozex trade ins and waiting to get games now that the site is getting more popular and is constantly getting slammed on release night.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah...2D animation on Blu-ray is really iffy for me to even notice the difference

Depends on the kind of animation.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Watching Futurama DVDs with the framerate smoothing of an HTDV really changes the experience.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Watching Futurama DVDs with the framerate smoothing of an HTDV really changes the experience.

True that. I think Amazon had the whole series in the big Bender-head for $80 the other day, let me see if I can find the link.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/6EBEA776-B518-4F58-A99F-D975BC05EA4F/productID/D495ED06-41AD-4FE6-9EAB-76C2261B46E3/

bam, not Amazon but Deepdiscount. I've gotten some good deals from them (Firefly on bluray for $30).

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jan and Feb pickup together.

febpic.jpg

Missing -> Bayonetta 360 and Darksiders 360. People borrow stuff.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    febpickup.jpg

Steven Wilson Cover Versions box set: I had the first 5 of his cover version discs, so I picked up the 6th which came with a nifty box set to house them all in.

Heavy Rain and Bioshock 2: Both count as my birthday presents. Bioshock 2 was from my fiance and Heavy Rain was mostly from my parents (they gave me 50 bucks)

NIN The Slip and The Mars Volta Bedlamn in Goliath: Picked these up for cheap at Half-Price books.

Edit: Forgot to picture my other CD that I got this month. I ordered No-Man's Wherever there is Light single when I ordered the Cover Version box set, but it came way earlier since CV was delayed.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Waka Laka wrote: »

febpic.jpg

What's that third item on the top-right corner? The something-Monkey thing?

And nice statue, its pretty awesome. If I weren't already 30 (jesus christmas) I'd have these kind of things all over my house.

I just went to a local mom & pop used game store, and walked out with Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 for $40 combined.

It was hard to pass up AC1 in a non-Greatest-Hit case... I hate those damn things. Throws the whole visual of the collection.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

True that. I think Amazon had the whole series in the big Bender-head for $80 the other day, let me see if I can find the link.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/6EBEA776-B518-4F58-A99F-D975BC05EA4F/productID/D495ED06-41AD-4FE6-9EAB-76C2261B46E3/

bam, not Amazon but Deepdiscount. I've gotten some good deals from them (Firefly on bluray for $30).

I bought the 4 volumes on DVD a few months ago for like, 40 bucks total. What's in the Bender head collection besides a head that will take up space? I already have a Homer head that is also a radio.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

*pic snip*

And nice statue, its pretty awesome. If I weren't already 30 (jesus christmas) I'd have these kind of things all over my house.

It was hard to pass up AC1 in a non-Greatest-Hit case... I hate those damn things. Throws the whole visual of the collection.

The Monkey thing is the entire Monkey Magic series box set. It's pretty awesome, but I wishit were on Blu Ray instead.

The statues are a collection of the classic sonic series, I'm planning to pick all three up -> Sonic Tails and Knuckles only. I'm a pretty old school, die hard Sonic fanboy, but not in the furry creepy way or the "Gee I'll buy every sonic game out there" type of way. I have a few statues only to make my room less dull and looming over the game collection where it actually is relevant. I'd never collect those half-nude manga ones like some people do, more ones of my favourite series -> Sonic, Ninja Gaiden, Mass Effect, Fallout Devil May Cry and Halo.

I'll agree on the classic hits cases, I fucking hate them, but I've had to get one before -> Perfect Dark, mainly because I have a collectors edition that is signed by the entire Rare staff and I don't want to open the case. Sticks out like a hooker in a church.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just bought a Blackberry Storm 2. It's like an iPhone and a Blackberry made sweet babies

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Are the Blackberry Storm 2s good with 3d and apps?

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    HNI_0004.jpg

Customer traded it in and I snatched it up right away. Faceplate Screen is scratched but besides that its in pretty decent condition. Also Grabbed FFVAdvance so I would have something to play in it.

Since we don't get a ton of replies a month (by virtue of not being GAF) do you think we should just make this a general G&T Pick-Up thread? Just a suggestion to Maximumzero.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    HNI_0004.jpg

Customer traded it in and I snatched it up right away. Faceplate Screen is scratched but besides that its in pretty decent condition. Also Grabbed FFVAdvance so I would have something to play in it.

Since we don't get a ton of replies a month (by virtue of not being GAF) do you think we should just make this a general G&T Pick-Up thread? Just a suggestion to Maximumzero.

Hmm. Well, perhaps we could break it up quarterly? I.E.: February-April, May-July, August-November, December-January?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sounds pretty good. Just better than a lot of small threads, and I'm sure the mods would agree archival-wise.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Faceplate Screen is scratched but besides that its in pretty decent condition.

You can probably find third-party faceplates on ebay still.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, if only I could screenshot DLC, I'd have a hell of a thread.

Pretty much anything in the last 3-4 months that has been on the 'weekly sale' on the 360, I've already owned.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I picked up Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Recently, I picked up The Darkness for the 360 for 8 bucks. I prefer getting older games for cheap.

Another sweet deal was Tamagotchi Party On for the Wii for 5 bucks. It's a game that's bad but in a funny way so it's worth it.

Darkshowers on
    Ds3hsEH.png
  • Options
    MafMaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hoping to get accepted to the grad school that I want so I can just go on a big celebration binge for nerd stuff. (Binge = ~$100 for me)

Maf on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Samurai Champloo is nuts on DVD. It's like, 3 episodes a disc.
    Sheesh. If there isn't a reasonable box set, you're better off watching it on the official Funimation website, for free even. Dub and sub videos available for that particular series.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The Monkey thing is the entire Monkey Magic series box set. It's pretty awesome, but I wishit were on Blu Ray instead.

As a little boy I used to sit down and watch monkey with a staff my dad made for me and make the woosh woosh woosh sound when he casts spells.

I want that damn box set now. I wonder if I can get it here.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Stuff from February:
    feb10001.jpg

Just bought the PA book today. Silly DC, why does it take forever for you to put out your TPBs? And technically I bought my nook a while back, but it arrived in February.

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Splendid Magic of Penny Arcade was an alright read

I guess

I'm looking forward to the sixth collected edition in June a hell of a lot more, though

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

As a little boy I used to sit down and watch monkey with a staff my dad made for me and make the woosh woosh woosh sound when he casts spells.

I want that damn box set now. I wonder if I can get it here.

I picked it up for $79.95 AUS ( 71.6723 USD, 47.3005 GBP) Look around and you might find it.

Waka Laka on
This discussion has been closed.