As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Echo Bazaar] Dark RPG + Alternate Victorian London + Twitter!? = Addictive

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the fate is just a bit too useless at the moment. For $2.50 you can refresh your action points, which means you can click 10 actions, getting a couple of minutes of entertainment. It's just not enough, especially when you already get 80 each day for free. I think buying fate needs to give you more like 50 action points, with the cap set to 50 for the rest of the day, or something. The model's called 'freemium', but at the moment the premium part of that is too lacking.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Even that's contingent on faster servers. I'd pay 5 fate all the time to just reset the exhausted state. Even if it didn't refresh actions.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Honestly there should be some sort of subscription-based model where you pay X dollars per month to get permanent no-exhaust

Like I'd pay 15, 20, maybe even 30 a month for no-exhaust

Also Fate should be more casually used. It'd be nice to spend, say, 1 fate on a multi-part storylet requiring a tertiary attribute boost to automatically boost that attribute to 5. As it stands, 10 fate basically being ten action points is just sorta lame to me

In any case Fate should be allowed to be spent on 'lucky' opportunity cards for an auto-pass of that opportunity card. Come on! They're lucky opportunity cards, and the points are called Fate! How would that not just make thematic sense?!

Also, for the devs that are watching this thread (if any, I've compiled a list of the positive and negatives I've found on EB (and a wishlist of stuff I'd like to see :P )

First off, the positives:
    • Love the writing, some of the best I've ever read in any game. Plus the story feels cohesive and sufficiently 'dark' without feeling pretentious and/or silly
    • I'm glad there's no like mob monster fighting mechanic to level up (because essentially in browser games they boil down to 'who has the higher stats' but more laggy) because usually that destroys the speed/intensifies lag to the point of nigh unplayability
    • I enjoy how nearly everything you do is a skill you develop. Makes everything you do feel like an accomplishment
    • The little touches are great- the notes on the side, etc really set the scene very well, really make you feel like you're in Fallen London
    • On that note whoever does your artwork deserves a raise. Whoever that guy is is really, really good
    • The social interactions are pretty interesting, basically requiring teamwork to get anything done makes you feel like just another denizen of this strange and wonderful city
    • I don't think I've ever played with something like Opportunity Cards in a game before. They're a really great addition that gives the game another layer of strategy and requires a lot of forethought for optimal play
    Negatives:
    • As stated before, Fate is too...dull to use. I really like this game, and like delzhand would pay Failbetter games monies for faster servers (although yours, realistically, are nowhere near as bad as some other game's. And really, Fate should be allowed to be spent for auto-passes on lucky OCs. I mean it just makes sense
      Also I like the idea of spending Fate to change it- perhaps Fate could be used as a tertiary sale element in the Bazaar? (One Echo = One Fate or some such like that?) Spending Fate to raise certain tertiary (I like that word :P) stats to 5? (It'd eliminate grinding, and that'd be awesome)
    • I wish the game physically gave you echoes just as frequently or more frequently than they gave you items. I get the concept behind only items, but the fact is getting screwed by selling all of an item that, literally, the next OC you get or part of your ambition or whatever requires you to have is really, really lame, and aggravating
    • Unlocking stat tests at, say, stat 21 that stay on Nearly Impossible till like 28/29 (and counting) seems like a cocktease
    • The Bazaar doesn't really have enough for sale. I'd like to see more equippable items for sale
    • I wish there were more intuitive links in the game, in general (like when you need to have X amount of <item> to pass a test, really wish there was just a link right there in the storylet to the Bazaar to buy the rest (if you so desired)
    • Kinda wish the tutorial were more in-depth, you're kinda just told what OCs are and how Storylets/multi-part Storylets are and then you're pushed out into the great big world with a "Have fun! Oh right, might want Lodgings of some sort"
    • Don't really get why Straightforward tasks have a chance of failure. Really, really aggravating, that
    • Auto-usage of second chance items upon failure of a test make Rent said inside :( (Seriously though if we could have like a toggle to change whether or not it auto-uses a second chance item would be awesome, and make me not have to 'reserve' Sudden Insights by basically immediately asking everyone if they want to listen to my Fears once I get them

Wish List:
    • More Fate Points Usage
    • Macros. I'd love some macros. Macro-ing, say, confessing my fears so, once I pick up Sudden Insights I can skip a ton of pages and get to the "choose a list of people I want" would be awesome, and reduce page loads by 2/3, instead of loading the Lodging commands, then loading the GO! screen or whatever for confessing fears, then the list of people to confess to. Also macro-ing...
    • Outfits. Really would like some savable outfits.
    • More equipment.
    • Potions that gave stat boosts for a set amount of time/set number of actions.
    • A crafting system so we could make said potions.
    • Stat-based skills. As a matter of fact, an interesting mechanic would be spending change points on skills (so, for instance, if you wanted x level 52 Watchful skill, well it'll cost you 100 change points- worth the loss of two levels? Your choice)
    • Clans/guilds. If there's one thing that should be added it's this. It's kind of hilarious that a game based around a social network is so very difficult to be able to interact with others in really satisfying ways. It's also so limited- I'd love to be able to, say, IRC chat with my guild homies when waiting around for my APs to refresh etc. Plus guild Lodgings would be badass. It could also add in Clan Storylets (which would function like raiding- a certain amount have to get to the conclusion of am (expansive) storylet but can affect guildmate's play to make it easier, assist in challenges, etc
    • Player character shops. Seriously. For an item-based economy like EB's it just seems like a natural extension of the game
    • Being able to send/receive items between players (Although I could forsee the potential for abuse this could cause)

Rent on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The server is plenty fast 8pm+ pacific coast time! Yes I'm grinning fiendishly as I type this!

As a sauve and shadowy gent I bid those of you unable or unwilling to take up embibibibibing of Laudanum for your Nightmare woes to dump your troubles at my doorstep.

Also this game is excellent and though I am the cheapest person I know a donation of real money would not be upsetting if it went to such a cause.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hm...I just vermin-freed my neighbor for a fee and I got Heartless and Magnanimous, weird.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Squid56 wrote: »
    Hm...I just vermin-freed my neighbor for a fee and I got Heartless and Magnanimous, weird.

Magnanimous for your neighbor; Heartless for evicting the LBs.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow, I love how having certain items, certain stats, and being in certain places unlocks new stuff. This just showed up in Veilgarden after I robbed a guy's briefcase full of books.

Arrange a secret reading of banned poetry
    Art cannot be chained! - (you unlocked this with Persuasive 49, Proscribed Text 1)

Delzhand on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yay the carnival thing is out.

Fuga on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, I really hate building up to Fascinating 10 to get a straightforward challenge for the better rewards only to have it fail and make me start the whole thing over. That sucked.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    abotkin wrote: »
    Wow, I really hate building up to Fascinating 10 to get a straightforward challenge for the better rewards only to have it fail and make me start the whole thing over. That sucked.

Right now I'm doing a storylet for the third time because I've failed straightforward challenges at the end twice in a row.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dang, just got to the end of my ambition.

Oh, well. Time to explore the Flit, maybe raise dangerous...

Delzhand on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This game reminds me a little of all those "gangwar" games people always spammed links of everywhere before. But it looks alot nicer, is the list in the First post updated? do i just add people to the twitter acount,and should i focus on one skill or should i have an even spread?

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Delz can you try start another ambition after you finish it? Because that would be awesome.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    This game reminds me a little of all those "gangwar" games people always spammed links of everywhere before. But it looks alot nicer, is the list in the First post updated? do i just add people to the twitter acount,and should i focus on one skill or should i have an even spread?

Theoretically you should focus on two, for your ambition, but there's nothing stopping you from maxing everything if that's what you want.

EDIT: For fuck's sake, I just failed my third 'straightforward' challenge and lost all of my 'fascinating' AGAIN RAAGRRGHRGFHDGCBKJ

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guess i should add that my twitter is HenryVape.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Apparently I have no head for chess in reality or in EB. If you want a solid win come see me. Also reagarding storylets: Be extra paranoid and build up 3-4 levels above the required 5. I have yet to fail one yet.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Apparently I have no head for chess in reality or in EB. If you want a solid win come see me. Also reagarding storylets: Be extra paranoid and build up 3-4 levels above the required 5. I have yet to fail one yet.

I've taken it to 10 three times in a row and failed each. I now have it up to 6, if I get it to 10 and it fails again I'm sending it in as a bug report, because fuck fuck shit fuck cunt.

On the plus side, it's raised my persuasive by about 10.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    alset85 wrote: »
    Delz can you try start another ambition after you finish it? Because that would be awesome.

No, I meant the content cap. It's not done, I've just hit the end of what's available.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OK, I don't know if there was a bug in the system earlier, or if I was just having horrific luck earlier. This morning/afternoon I would fail straightforward challenges at least a third of the time. I just switched to something else more difficult and only failed 1 in 8 low-risk challenges.

The ability to fail a storylet at straightforward and have it completely reset your progress makes me want to just ignore the difficult options on all of them.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OK, I don't know if there was a bug in the system earlier, or if I was just having horrific luck earlier. This morning/afternoon I would fail straightforward challenges at least a third of the time. I just switched to something else more difficult and only failed 1 in 8 low-risk challenges.

The ability to fail a storylet at straightforward and have it completely reset your progress makes me want to just ignore the difficult options on all of them.

I think that the best option would be to have resetting your progress as a critical failure, not just an average failure. That was it may reset your progress if you try at level 5, but at level 10 you're almost guaranteed success and even if you don't succeed you're almost guaranteed to be left at level 10 anyway.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sadly even when you win alot of the [low level] storylets you really don't get anything that great from them. Therefore doing the build up portion again isn't exactly a setback just a delay tactic to keep you playing longer.

I find I spend all my actions on the cards so I usually forget to go do the storylets for the most part. Or I get obsessed with helping Urchins fish goodies off passers by. Adorable!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Twice I've gotten the required secondary stat up for a venture to 10 and twice I have failed the advanced action while it was straightforward. Second chance items don't work on them because its not for the advanced stat. I am no longer going to try for advanced ventures.

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anyone want to join me for "A troubled conversation about dusty stones"?

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    vhzod wrote: »
    Twice I've gotten the required secondary stat up for a venture to 10 and twice I have failed the advanced action while it was straightforward. Second chance items don't work on them because its not for the advanced stat. I am no longer going to try for advanced ventures.

But the success descriptions on the advanced ventures are awesome! Well, sometimes. I mean, when ol' Jack himself is sending gifts of appreciation your way, you know you've done something right. Or wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong.

Sounds delightfully enlightening!

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dizzen wrote: »

Sounds delightfully enlightening!

It's being incredibly slow in updating to include your name. I'll hit you up for it tomorrow, as far as I know it gives us both a nice free bonus. We'll see.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, but I am digging the setting. It is grabbing my fancies in just the right way.

I do have a question though. My first storylet gave me a little Accomplishment thing, saying I'd "enjoyed a close and cherished friendship with a Struggling Artist's Model", but none of the other ones have. Am I doing something wrong with these other ones, or is it just a case of not every storylet having an accomplishment tied to it?

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I found out about this game from this forum, and I've given it a try and really gotten into it. My shadowy is at 12 and Persuasive at 9. My user name is chaosandquiet.

I have a question for everyone. What do I do about my nightmares?

ChaosandQuiet on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You have several options:

1) Wait for the opportunity cards that can reduce your Nightmares.
    2) Buy a Laudanum from the Bazaar. They cost 1 Echo, and can reduce your Nightmares, but adds to your Wounds a bit.
    3) Ask a friend to Listen to your Nightmares. Roughly the same effect as the Laudanum, but your friend's own Nightmare attribute rises a little bit.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    train shadowy till you can steal from a drunkard. steal from him till you get the potions. sleep off the wounds in your lodgings.

Fuga on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A twist in your tale! You are now a Finder of Heiresses!

:winky:

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You have several options:

1) Wait for the opportunity cards that can reduce your Nightmares.
    2) Buy a Laudanum from the Bazaar. They cost 1 Echo, and can reduce your Nightmares, but adds to your Wounds a bit.
    3) Ask a friend to Listen to your Nightmares. Roughly the same effect as the Laudanum, but your friend's own Nightmare attribute rises a little bit.

A Laudanum habit is pretty expensive for his current level, though.

Asking some of us for a counselling session is probably the best bet.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or just go mad. It's fun! And early on you don't stand to lose much.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That too.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Man I just went mad and wow this sucks

Edit:

You've moved to a new area: your Lodgings
    A twist in your tale! You are no longer having Recurring Dreams: Death by Water.
    A twist in your tale! You are no longer having Recurring Dreams: Is Someone There?.
    A twist in your tale! You are no longer having Recurring Dreams: The Burial of the Dead.
    A twist in your tale! You are no longer having Recurring Dreams: The Fire Sermon.
    A twist in your tale! You are no longer Tracking down the Manager.
    fuuuu.jpg

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Man I just went mad and wow this sucks

Stick to opportunity cards and you'll be free without any stat loss. You lose your recurring dreams which kinda sucks though.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kind of a bug (more that it's really unclear):

When you combine 500 Whispered Secrets into 200 Cryptic Secrets, it states on the storylet to decide to combine that
    [This will give you a better rate of exchange than if you'd just sold secrets at the Bazaar.]

Which, to me, implied that if you sold 200 Cryptic Secrets they'd be worth more than 500 Whispered Secrets (which isn't the case)

Of course the real thing EB means is is that if you sold 500 Whispered Secrets and immediately turned around and bought 5 Echoes worth of Cryptic Secrets, you'd get significantly less Cryptic Secrets in the exchange

So yeah, just fair warning if you're converting Secrets to higher via Watchful, only do it if you're hunting for Appalling Secrets, which is what a primary Watchful character should be doing anyways

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Someone talk to me about Knife and Candle. If I enter the game and find it to be unappealing to me can I leave again? Are there any disadvantages to being continuously shanked?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can answer the first: if you leave you lose any rank or progress you've acquired but otherwise it's come and go as you please. I definitely withdrew after entering with Shadowy and Dangerous at a mere 25.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huh. I just found and reported a bug. Excellent.
    In the meantime, those of a Watchful and Persuasive nature might want to examine the very EDUCATIONAL anatomy exhibits, particularly the MALE SPECIMEN. Is anyone else getting the kind of results that I am? Note very carefully the change points granted.

EDIT: Bug fixed! Huzzah.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am playing this now myself. Noquar on Twitter. I am currently trying to persuade some nice lass to let me shack up with her.

Noquar on