Options

[MICHAEL BAY ON]Bad Company 2: Carl Gustav is king!

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    zippyllama wrote: »
    Are there any maps that start with a chopper on each side so I can jump in a 0 player game and practice flying?

The Rush map that has the little island has two at the start.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    That blinding desert conquest map. I'm sure anyone knows the name of it. That one up there is probably better.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have discovered the joys of firing off 50 stationary AT rockets, curving them around buildings and killing a grand total of 2 people while doing so.

I spent some time tweaking my avatar a little today also.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ugh. Does anyone else here just not understand the UAV? I really want to like it, but it doesn't seem to have a purpose other than spotting. The TOW missile is too weak to kill vehicles, and has too long of a cooldown to make it really useful. And the MG is both inaccurate AND weak. Has anyone come to the same conclusion? Or am I in the minority here?

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ugh. Does anyone else here just not understand the UAV? I really want to like it, but it doesn't seem to have a purpose other than spotting. The TOW missile is too weak to kill vehicles, and has too long of a cooldown to make it really useful. And the MG is both inaccurate AND weak. Has anyone come to the same conclusion? Or am I in the minority here?

The missile is too weak, yeah.

Suriko on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Then, uh, use it for spotting, then. Spotting isn't exactly a useless thing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

True, but there's no real point in just using it for spotting when I could just go out there and be able to spot and blow things up at the same time.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Bolt action rifles will kill in one shot to the chest at close range to non-body armor'd players

Speaking of body armor.

omfg

It took me a few teeth-gnashing moments to realize that it was even in the game. Definitely a must for any silly-geese who like to do everything up close and personal.

I wasn't exactly happy to see it to be honest.

Does anyone know if a player takes body armour for example, is his speed reduced any? Or what I am trying to say, with any soldier perk, is there any equaling disadvantage or is it all good no bad?

The disadvantage is the opportunity cost (i.e. you don't have mag rounds or super bombs or laser accuracy or whatever). Besides, once you get used to it, an IBA doesn't really slow you down much anyhow, at least not in the distances you travel in-game.

That's one of many things I like about this game, no sprint meter. So many FPS games you sprint 100m and are spent.

The TOW will one hit kill a soldier. So it's worthwhile for that at least.

I've never used it personally though, so hard to say.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

True, but there's no real point in just using it for spotting when I could just go out there and be able to spot and blow things up at the same time.

Well, with the UAV you can mark things and not die while marking, or you can use it to harass snipers with the missile and peppering them with MG fire

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

You underestimate the UAV. When used in conjunction with the proper Vehicle Upgrade, they can be quite a thorn in the enemy's side.

Use Vehicle Zoom perk to fire the missiles from well beyond UAV visual range.
    Use Vehicle Alt Fire to get the .50 cal MG, great for picking off unwary infantry and absolutely devastating against choppers.
    Use Vehicle Fast Reload to cut the reload time of the missile in half (or close to half)
    Use Vehicle Extra Damage to one-shot most vehicles (possibly all?), or to do more damage to MCOMs.
    Use Smoke to help your team advance on the enemy's position (fires three smoke grenades at once downward from the UAV).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Well, with the UAV you can mark things and not die while marking, or you can use it to harass snipers with the missile and peppering them with MG fire

Take the smoke vehicle upgrade, and launch smoke rounds at friendlies/enemies to help out.

It fires three smoke grenades at once, where you are aiming, rather than releasing it at the chopper like the tank does.

They need to rethink the vehicle upgrades also, it's annoying how they don't work with everything. Like the zoom works on the apache gunner seat, but alt fire and smoke grenades don't.

Either make them all work from that position, or just have zoom be default for the gunners seats.

Morkath on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Coordinate with your team.

If you see an engineer fire off a rocket at a tank and the tank starts to retreat for repairs, fire a rocket at his dumbass. The tank, I mean, not the engineer.

Don't forget you can get roadkills for running over enemies with the UAV.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

Take the smoke vehicle upgrade, and launch smoke rounds at friendlies/enemies to help out.

It fires three smoke grenades at once, where you are aiming, rather than releasing it at the chopper like the tank does.

They need to rethink the vehicle upgrades also, it's annoying how they don't work with everything. Like the zoom works on the apache gunner seat, but alt fire and smoke grenades don't.

Either make them all work from that position, or just have zoom be default for the gunners seats.

If you're not using fast reload on the gunner seat you're doing it wrong.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »
    If you're not using fast reload on the gunner sear you're doing it wrong.

Fast reload + Hind gunner + hardcore mode on an open map is disgusting.

Disgustingly fucking awesome.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Uggh. Random unexplained disconnects are so awful.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    If you're not using fast reload on the gunner sear you're doing it wrong.

Fast reload + Hind gunner + hardcore mode on an open map is disgusting.

Disgustingly fucking awesome.

#1 Reason I don't play Hardcore. Even above the lack of spotting. Choppers are absolutely death incarnate.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was chasing a guy who wasn't aware I was behind him, just as I go to click the mouse wheel some poor sod spawns up behind him.

He must've been so pissed off. :D

Then I proceeded to knife my original target.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I learned that the UAV is for putting tons of c4 on it then driving it into a point and blowing it up. Thats the right usage right?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I learned that the Blackhawk is for putting tons of c4 on it then driving it into a point and blowing it up. Thats the right usage right?

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I learned that the UAV is for putting tons of c4 on it then driving it into a point and blowing it up. Thats the right usage right?

Similar to loading C4 onto an ATV and hopping off it before it enters an enemy base?

Because yes, that is awesome.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Got my gold star with my Akaban today. Man alive, that AR rocks but now it seems like I can't operate a full automatic since I'm used to burst firing with my right trigger finger and I forget I've full auto so I'm only gunning down the 1st chap while the 2nd usually gets me.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I got an older one. We were defending the 3rd set of MCOMs on Arica Harbor (I think), the one at the bridge with one of the stations inside a bus and the other in a train car. I jump on the stationary TOW and start blasting at attacking tanks and random infantry when I notice a dot moving across the ridgeline at the top of the map. I zoom in and, lo and behold, an enemy recon booking across the ridge.

I think about it for a second and fire a TOW and wait.... and wait... and wonder if the TOW disappeared... and wait... and KABOOM! Headshot on a recon with a TOW.

Commence grinning

shorttimin on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So does getting hit with rockets knock choppers around? Because I was on my first successful chopper flight on one of the PA servers the other day when the thing slewed to one side while I was semi-hovering and I promptly jumped out in panic. Did I hit something or did something hit me?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you learn to fly on the blinding deser map you will be ready to fly anywhere.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So does getting hit with rockets knock choppers around? Because I was on my first successful chopper flight on one of the PA servers the other day when the thing slewed to one side while I was semi-hovering and I promptly jumped out in panic. Did I hit something or did something hit me?

Usually an Anti-Vehicle Rocket is enough to take down a chopper, so its possible you hit something, an assault hit your tail rotor with a 40mm grenade, or a UAV ran into you.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sig generator is pretty cool.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

If you're not using fast reload on the gunner seat you're doing it wrong.

The zoom is super helpful too, lets you snipe the other hind before it gets within range normally.

But that is a good point, I need to remember to start picking fast reload, I just never remember to try it since I don't normally use vehicles now that I have maxed that tree.

Morkath on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    If you learn to fly on the blinding deser map you will be ready to fly anywhere.

*raises hand*

I is good pilot

Warcry on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    That blinding desert conquest map. I'm sure anyone knows the name of it. That one up there is probably better.

awesome_map.png

Echo on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Usually an Anti-Vehicle Rocket is enough to take down a chopper, so its possible you hit something, an assault hit your tail rotor with a 40mm grenade, or a UAV ran into you.

I choose to believe something hit me, not the other way around.

Also, what's the deal with engineers inside choppers? Sometimes I can fix a chopper while inside it and sometimes I can't. There some kind of glitch with that or am I missing something?

EDIT: I also really hate that big desert Conquest map. It's just a game of who is willing to waste more time driving around. Plus, if you spawn somewhere without a vehicle, you get to enjoy hoofing it all the way to another point to take it/defend it. If they wanted to make it fun, they should've just spawned enough tanks and choppers for everyone to use one or the other.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Magnum rounds are pretty much completely worthless on sniper rifles. The damage snipers do is explicitly set up to not change the number of shots needed with magnum equipped.

...I wish the game told us stuff like this.

Echo on
  • Options
    zippyllamazippyllama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do we need to be a regular poster to play on the PA servers, or can we troll and be included?

zippyllama on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    vent sure is full of people who love to complain

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The magnum option does work well with VSS rifle, though; gives it a good bit of punch. It might also help the SVU, but I wouldn't count on it much. Otherwise, it's just a waste of a perk since you have no way to tell whose health is low enough to kill them in one shot and not one single sniper rifle can kill with a single bodyshot. Even the M95 with magnum only makes a soldier mostly dead; they'll still have plenty of health to scamper off to a medkit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

How do you get it in your sig properly? It says the image is the wrong type and won't upload.

Also, thanks for the UAV tips. I did not know about the various perk effects on it, I just stuck with Alt Fire for the minigun. Succinct to say tanks will be asploding left and right. :P

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I choose to believe something hit me, not the other way around.

Also, what's the deal with engineers inside choppers? Sometimes I can fix a chopper while inside it and sometimes I can't. There some kind of glitch with that or am I missing something?

Usually it's because you have to aim in a very particular spot in order for the healing to work. For some reason they made it way more finicky than in BF2 (dunno why :?)

Flying Death Wagons have been a time-honored tradition in many Battlefield games now, and with the inclusion of the Tracer Dart and further nerfing of the Blackhawk, I'm not sure exactly what they're afraid of.

@zippyllama: Forum Lurkers are always welcome. Forum Trolls...yeah not so much ;-)
    Helps to have the PA tag in your name as well. Less likely for Tyrannus, Sladvan or I to kick you. Unless your name is like Marihuana4Life or something.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    @zippyllama: Forum Lurkers are always welcome. Forum Trolls...yeah not so much ;-)

Then why does Goomba get to play on the PA servers? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

To keep from having invincible blackhawks soaring through the skies with two engies in the back, the repair tool only works when the chopper is moving fairly slowly.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To keep from having invincible blackhawks soaring through the skies with two engies in the back, the repair tool only works when the chopper is moving fairly slowly.
    This man has wealth of BC2 knowledge

AhiMahi on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

How do you get it in your sig properly? It says the image is the wrong type and won't upload.

Also, thanks for the UAV tips. I did not know about the various perk effects on it, I just stuck with Alt Fire for the minigun. Succinct to say tanks will be asploding left and right. :P

Works fine for me.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.