As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Aliens versus Predator 3 - Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I'll grant anyone the stealth kills for the alien/predator campaigns are really meaty, but the fact they reuse levels constantly (I can't wait for Helloween to realize this) is very cheap. Additionally, while AvP2 did reuse some levels it was often a very different take on them each time, while in AvP3 I think you have the same basic fight in the same area THREE damn times (one in each campaign).

I hope you realize that he is going to eventually read this.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I'll grant anyone the stealth kills for the alien/predator campaigns are really meaty, but the fact they reuse levels constantly (I can't wait for Helloween to realize this) is very cheap. Additionally, while AvP2 did reuse some levels it was often a very different take on them each time, while in AvP3 I think you have the same basic fight in the same area THREE damn times (one in each campaign).

I hope you realize that he is going to eventually read this.

Yes, but it's when it actually pulls it on you in a major way that is when it gets funny (or tragic depending on your point of view).

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can't crouch as well. No crouching in an FPS should be a crime.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you talking about around 7:30 in video 2? Something drops out of the sky on the side of the screen. I caught it, Helloween did not.

OH SHI-!

I SAW IT!

[EDIT]
    No, that's just debris flying around in that area. The predator is near towards where he goes towards the admin building, up on the top of the building. You can see his cloak if you're looking in the right direction/place.

Edit: Something else that is ripped off from a superior game, eg AvP2. They even copy another scene from AvP2 later on.

Oh. Nevermind.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Watchin' a lot of SG1 recently, Helloween?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Haha, you were on a roll there in that first set with your hillarious commentary.

Keep up the good work.

Dangerbird on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Watchin' a lot of SG1 recently, Helloween?

How did you guess? :P

Zoidberg, I'm enjoying it so far. It's no where near as bad as people were saying it was.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    That's because you're arguably playing the best part.

:P

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    That's because you're arguably playing the best part.

:P

Surely its not better than eating mans?

edit: or skinning mans?

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    It will depend entirely on how you agree with the alien and predators control schemes. But in terms of pacing and atmosphere the marine campaign is the best by a long way.

Aegeri on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh yeah, new Helloween LP!
    I never did get this game. I tried the demo, but something about it just doesn't seem to do it for me. As an LP though...

Rhan9 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    I liked the Alien campaign the most, myself.

Echo on
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »

From what I tried (all 30 seconds of it) it seems good. I'm looking forward to that

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

From what I tried (all 30 seconds of it) it seems good. I'm looking forward to that

Bruce will sing the song that ends the Earth.

And devour many mans.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, forum is acting weird for me. Can't seem to post until now.

Anyway, can't find the FEAR3 thread, but FEAR3 has apparently announced co-op with FearGuy and Fettel. I smell joint LP!

edited for irrelevance to this thread: Aliens aliens olol

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited April 2010

Anyway, can't find the FEAR3 thread, but FEAR3 has apparently announced co-op with FearGuy and Fettel. I smell joint LP!

Did you do a search for F3AR? Cause that's the thread title. Let me dig it up for you...

Here you go.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=115334

I lied about the thread title.

[ONTOPIC]
    Also, I think Tequila is just her 'Marine' nickname. Her Last name is something like Aquila, and her first name starts with a T.

If you were a chick who's first name started with a T, and your last name was Aquila, what WOULD a bunch of Marines choose for your nickname?

Of course, this is assuming they're still following the precedent set by the movies. Where EVERYONE refers to everyone else by their last name only.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    TKane wrote: »

Did you do a search for F3AR? Cause that's the thread title. Let me dig it up for you...

Here you go.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=115334

I lied about the thread title.

[ONTOPIC]
    Also, I think Tequila is just her 'Marine' nickname. Her Last name is something like Aquila, and her first name starts with a T.

If you were a chick who's first name started with a T, and your last name was Aquila, what WOULD a bunch of Marines choose for your nickname?

Of course, this is assuming they're still following the precedent set by the movies. Where EVERYONE refers to everyone else by their last name only.

Well thats what I hope it is. :S

Well, I'll get a new set sorted for tommorow. Steam was being a buggy all day today for me.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It amazes me that so many people in this thread say that AVP2 is the better campaign game, while in the actual AVP3 thread, everyone bitched that AVP2 sucked

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    It amazes me that so many people in this thread say that AVP2 is the better campaign game, while in the actual AVP3 thread, everyone bitched that AVP2 sucked

Ya I don't get that ethier. You'd think games like Bioshock and Mass Effect would show these people how to tell a good story in a game medium. AVP2 wasn't amazing, but it's alot better then the 30ish minutes of AVP3 i've now seen thus far.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Ya I don't get that ethier. You'd think games like Bioshock and Mass Effect would show these people how to tell a good story in a game medium. AVP2 wasn't amazing, but it's alot better then the 30ish minutes of AVP3 i've now seen thus far.

Oh, Rebellion can't make a shooter story in this setting to save their life though. AVP1 lacked any kind of story besides "Kill aliens/predators/marines", and AVP3 seems to be little better

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    AvP's marine campaign tends to suffer from the problem that you're just too survivable to really feel all that vulnerable and scared.

Nevertheless, I found this game to be a fun little excursion with a number of amusing and atmospheric set-pieces and I'm looking forward to seeing Helloween stumble his way through it's many dark corridors.

I'm just looking forward to eating mans as Bruce NO.2

Dare I say it? Should that alien be named... Deuce?

Dranyth on
    edited April 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    AvP's marine campaign tends to suffer from the problem that you're just too survivable to really feel all that vulnerable and scared.

Nevertheless, I found this game to be a fun little excursion with a number of amusing and atmospheric set-pieces and I'm looking forward to seeing Helloween stumble his way through it's many dark corridors.

Strictly speaking the alien is already named in game.

Aegeri on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »

Strictly speaking the alien is already named in game.

Is it named "Rookie"?

No, that's silly.

Is the Predator named "Rookie"?

Garthor on
    edited April 2010
    Okay, now you mention it I don't think the Predator does have a name (he is referred to by rank) or at least I can't recall one.

Aegeri on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey, at least the flashlight battery doesn't run out after 5 seconds :)

Shame I dont a glow in the dark gun, might give off more light :P

A set of tritium sights would probably give off more light.

And yeah, the flashlight doesn't cut off after 5 seconds, but the flare sure as hell does. What's the point? Do they at least scare off aliens or something cool?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited April 2010
    Hey, at least the flashlight battery doesn't run out after 5 seconds :)

Shame I dont a glow in the dark gun, might give off more light :P

A set of tritium sights would probably give off more light.

And yeah, the flashlight doesn't cut off after 5 seconds, but the flare sure as hell does. What's the point? Do they at least scare off aliens or something cool?

I THINK it does. During Da Clubbin' Scene, I think when he tossed a flare, one of the Aliens crawling on the walls towards him immediately climbed up towards the roof.

Or I dunno, I may have hallucinated that part. I found this wild patch of Liberty Caps in the forest and I've been playing Super Mario since like... Noon.

Just kidding.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    No, it's just the alien AI is highly spastic and sometimes they don't feel like attacking you and want to climb up a wall.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    No, it's just the alien AI is highly spastic and sometimes they don't feel like attacking you and want to climb up a wall.

They actually seem more dim than in AVP 2. Hopefully that was just the clubs flashing lights that spooked them into acting stupid.

Or more likely, they just like to go HURRRRR and run at you.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    Actually they will sometimes run away and get stuck. This does oddly make them hard to deal with as they're entirely unpredictable. You can aim a grenade where you think they will go only for the AI to go in a completely unexpected and entirely random direction.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    Actually they will sometimes run away and get stuck. This does oddly make them hard to deal with as they're entirely unpredictable. You can aim a grenade where you think they will go only for the AI to go in a completely unexpected and entirely random direction.

Sounds good fun that.

Right, recording time.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I seem to recall that it's deliberate.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that since the marine's melee skills are pathetic and acid blood really hurts him, the Aliens are designed to move in, swipe at you a couple of times and then retreat before coming in again so you have a window where can shoot at them safely.

I'm not sure whether that's true or not though, so don't hold me to it.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I love the AI. So smart :P

Set 2 - A facefull

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I seem to recall that it's deliberate.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that since the marine's melee skills are pathetic and acid blood really hurts him, the Aliens are designed to move in, swipe at you a couple of times and then retreat before coming in again so you have a window where can shoot at them safely.

I'm not sure whether that's true or not though, so don't hold me to it.

Because nothing says 'relentless murder-organism' like being coy.

Bioptic on
  • Subucula TertiaSubucula Tertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nice set as always, Helloween. The shotgun seems more effective than the pulse rifle.

I think Rookie typed "MART", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Subucula Tertia on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    I honestly think that this game is too stupid for Helloween. There's novelty to it that Helloween brings, but in the end, it's just a thoroughly stupid game.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can you adjust the brightness? I mean, this shit is dark.

I also want to know what school these developers attended that promoted shitty lighting for games.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
    edited April 2010
    Judgement wrote: »

I also want to know what school these developers attended that promoted shitty lighting for games.

See: Monolith Games.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited April 2010

Yeah I can try.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah I can try.

It's that, or a face full of Alien Wang. :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just a quick point, in Steam, the "In-Game" tag trumps "Busy." Meaning, even with it set, it'll show you "In-Game."

So, yeah, in order to avoid people asking "hey. whats the game like" you'll need to go offline.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    Morrandir wrote: »
    Just a quick point, in Steam, the "In-Game" tag trumps "Busy." Meaning, even with it set, it'll show you "In-Game."

So, yeah, in order to avoid people asking "hey. whats the game like" you'll need to go offline.

Bah, thats irritating

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!