As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Meat Boy: A game about jumping

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So playing the demo has reminded me somewhat of Trials HD... In that im terrible at it now, but i will probably get better.
    Until then i just have to enjoy failing, over and over again. Its surprising how rewarding it feels to watch your winning replay though.

Also Gamespot gave it a near perfect score, if that went unnoticed.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I've decided that after I beat the game with meat boy, I'm going back through it again with Commander Video. Just because he makes rainbows badass.

Also, I read something about 20 new levels on Nov. 1st and 20 more on Dec. 1st and so on. Has anyone else heard this? I'd LOVE to get some Christmas themed levels on Dec. 1st.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I've decided that after I beat the game with meat boy, I'm going back through it again with Commander Video. Just because he makes rainbows badass.

Also, I read something about 20 new levels on Nov. 1st and 20 more on Dec. 1st and so on. Has anyone else heard this? I'd LOVE to get some Christmas themed levels on Dec. 1st.

Yeah, they've said they'll be releasing free level packs periodically over XBLA (and only on XBLA, if memory serves).

There's already one up. You get access to them by
    collecting 20 bandages.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got The Kid, yessss. The third stage was actually really easy but the first two were a bitch. Seems like he's basically the same as Ogmo but I think faster?

Zek on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So more than once now, I have played, quit out of the game, and when I come back a bunch of levels I had beaten are marked as never beaten.

For example I stayed up playing some of the World 4 levels last night, and today world 4 was completely untouched.

Awesome game - but something is wrong with the "saving" and it is scaring me.

This is a definite thing. I lost all my World 4 progress, as well as bandages/Dark World stuff I did in world 1 last night. I know I'm not imagining it because I still have the replay of one of the levels. Losing the progress doesn't bother me that much (I did everything I had lost in World 4 in about 8 minutes) but constantly worrying about whether my progress is actually being saved is becoming a hassle (i.e. I'm exiting out to the map a lot instead of just going with the flow).

One other thing I'm not a fan of: I don't like how going off the top of the screen kills you. It's counter-intuitive to me. Everything else is great though. I'm a huge N fan (PC version) and I like this much better.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does any of this lost data have to do with the way you turned off the game after playing it?
    I think it was condemned 2 that would just delete saves if you used the guide button to shutdown.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    N+ had a similar problem. If you quit to the dashboard but didn't choose "Quit Game" from within N+ first, it wouldn't save everything you had done.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Does any of this lost data have to do with the way you turned off the game after playing it?
    I think it was condemned 2 that would just delete saves if you used the guide button to shutdown.

Not 100% sure....I want to say that I quit out properly from the title screen last night before I lost my World 4 progress, but I'm not certain.

The weird thing is I had done more than just play World 4 in that play session.....so it WAS saving and then at some point stopped.

Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    do they not show you the replay for boss fights? i had a hilarious amount of deaths on the first one but was unable to see the replay

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    By far the biggest problem with this game, and I sincerely hope they change it, is the 3-lives limit in warp zones.

For fuck's sake, don't make me sit through an unskippable intro in order to go through a stage I've already gone through in order to get to a stage that I've died repeatedly on.

It's complete horseshit. The rest of the game doesn't do this, because it would make the gameplay fucking unbearable, so I don't know why they thought it was okay in the warp zones. Specifically talking about the first one in the Rapture world here, since it's long as hell.
    I'm actually okay with the limited lives, since it adds to the challenge in a meaningful way: if you want to clear the warp zone, then you'd better be able to beat all of the stages consistently. However, I do think that when you run out of lives, you should get booted back to the start of the warp zone, and not back to the map. There's no reason to make the player sit through those intros over and over again.

But it isn't meaningful. Hint: It's not the first stage in the warp zone that I have problems with, it's the second one. Making me go through that first one over and over again is awful and doesn't add anything to the challenge - it's just spent time.

Now, if the lives had actually carried over between levels, then your performance would be meaningful. As is, all it is doing is delaying your eventual progress.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RE: Saving bug

It's caused by collecting the same bandage twice. So if you collect a bandage, complete the level, then replay instantly, sometimes the bandage comes back. Collecting it twice stops the game from saving.

They have fixed it, the update is with Microsoft, and it'll be pushed out on Monday.

Edit: With a few other minor bug fixes too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So in the meantime, just to be safe, it's best to quit out of a level if you get a bandage prior to replaying it, I guess?

That is very good to know. Thanks Lewie.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Indeed, that should avoid any saving problems.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, getting an A+ gets you the dark world version of a level, but does getting an A+ in the dark world do anything?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, getting an A+ gets you the dark world version of a level, but does getting an A+ in the dark world do anything?

You get to pat yourself on the back

Also I think it works towards 100% completion

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't had time to DL the demo yet, but I loved N+. Absolutely loved it.

So it sounds like I will in turn, also enjoy the crap out of this, if not love it as well, correct?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As somebody who loved N+, this game is 1000x better.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That is one sparkling statement of awesome. I'm in.

Pick up points card on the way home. Whee!

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LewieP wrote: »

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ghrhrhrahwir just unloaocked The Kid.

My fingers aare not wworking properlyfkffkf anymorea

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah. My thumb hasn't hurt from playing games like this in awhile.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone playing this with an arcade stick? I know that vastly improved my N+ times.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Anyone playing this with an arcade stick? I know that vastly improved my N+ times.
    I tried it for a few minutes and it seemed to work alright. I'm not sure if it works better than a regular controller though.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Picked this up today. Thinking about maybe streaming it later, so all the streamers can laugh at me. :(

On second thought, might just want to keep it to myself..

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, slighty off-topic, but how does this Live offer work again? I don't see anything about it on the dashboard.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On the last light level before the last boss, I have to jump/fall between two saws while pushing right, landing in a small house. I just can't seem to get the timing of this, or find a spot where I can do this with ease. Made it a few times with luck, but i just can't seem to find the right way to tackle this so I can concentrate on the next hurlde.... :(

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Spend 2400 worth of MS points in October and get 800 back in Nov.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Spend 2400 worth of MS points in October and get 800 back in Nov.

oh nice, thanks

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    By far the biggest problem with this game, and I sincerely hope they change it, is the 3-lives limit in warp zones.

For fuck's sake, don't make me sit through an unskippable intro in order to go through a stage I've already gone through in order to get to a stage that I've died repeatedly on.

It's complete horseshit. The rest of the game doesn't do this, because it would make the gameplay fucking unbearable, so I don't know why they thought it was okay in the warp zones. Specifically talking about the first one in the Rapture world here, since it's long as hell.
    I'm actually okay with the limited lives, since it adds to the challenge in a meaningful way: if you want to clear the warp zone, then you'd better be able to beat all of the stages consistently. However, I do think that when you run out of lives, you should get booted back to the start of the warp zone, and not back to the map. There's no reason to make the player sit through those intros over and over again.

But it isn't meaningful. Hint: It's not the first stage in the warp zone that I have problems with, it's the second one. Making me go through that first one over and over again is awful and doesn't add anything to the challenge - it's just spent time.

Now, if the lives had actually carried over between levels, then your performance would be meaningful. As is, all it is doing is delaying your eventual progress.

I completely agree with Cherrn, at least with letting the lives carry over. Nothing is more frustrating for me than trying to get the bandage in the third level of a warp zone after doing the first two levels so much I could do them blindfolded. If I had 9 lives from perfecting the first two levels that would be perfect, but at this point I just get to hear "WARP ZOOOOOOONE!" every few minutes over, and over, and over...

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There's one thing N did (the PC version, which I liked much more than the XBLA) : the replays. It saved every replay, and on the leaderboards, you could see a replay of any top time you wanted. I really enjoyed seeing how other people played the levels (especially ones with little known shortcuts).

I'm hurting my brain trying to remember if it was the bandage thing LewieP mentioned that screwed up my saves. I guess I will always just go to the next level, cause lord knows I won't be able to stop playing this til Monday.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I completely agree with Cherrn, at least with letting the lives carry over. Nothing is more frustrating for me than trying to get the bandage in the third level of a warp zone after doing the first two levels so much I could do them blindfolded. If I had 9 lives from perfecting the first two levels that would be perfect, but at this point I just get to hear "WARP ZOOOOOOONE!" every few minutes over, and over, and over...
    If they went proper retro you'd get 3 lives total to spend on the entire warp, so... be happy they're as forgiving as they already are? ;-)

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, I did end up beating the 5-1 warp zone (with bandages), but it was also one of the least fun things I've had to do in the game thus far. Comparatively, I don't think I spend much more time on beating the IWBTG levels, but there was actual, proper satisfaction upon accomplishing that. When I beat the warp zone I was just "thank fucking god I will never have to play that level again ever".

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Uh oh.

Sorry guys, I just spoke to Ed and it turns out that Super Meat Boy is not part of the free 800 points deal.

He had said it was previously, but that was before they decided to discount it.

However, I am going to speak to Microsoft and see if I can sort something out. It's not really fair that it's excluded when they didn't mention it on the deal page on xbox.com, and the dev had previously said it would be included in the offer.

Edit: Wait, now I am really confused. Willeth just told me that Graeme Boyd, Xbox comunity manager, confirmed that it is included.

Watch this space.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Uh yeah, if they decide to not include it, I'm going to make a very angry phone call to microsoft. They can't just pick a game an exempt it from the deal with no announcement, after a bunch of people have already bought it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's like, false advertisement, or bait and switch or something

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We'll see, I think they'll probably end up honouring it in the end.

I guess don't spend any more MS points, if you're hoping Super Meat Boy will contribute towards the total, until we have a clear answer.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RE: Saving bug

It's caused by collecting the same bandage twice. So if you collect a bandage, complete the level, then replay instantly, sometimes the bandage comes back. Collecting it twice stops the game from saving.

I didn't collect any bandages...unless you count collecting a bandage multiple times without successfully completing the level. I eventually completed 2-2, but without the bandage.
    I'd be much more inclined to believe the dashboard exit theory. Odds are I just straight up shut the console down from the level select screen.
    More specifically, I did collected one bandage in ch1, but only once, and it saved that progress and all the other progress in ch1. It only lost the first two levels of ch2, done at the end of the session.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has the saving bug been fixed? Not eating out this week left me with enough money to pick this up, but I don't want to get fucked over by a bad save like with N+.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We'll see, I think they'll probably end up honouring it in the end.

I guess don't spend any more MS points, if you're hoping Super Meat Boy will contribute towards the total, until we have a clear answer.
    It better count. That sounds like something MS would do. "Oh, we only meant the crappy games count. Yeah, the ones you don't want."

anoffday on
This discussion has been closed.