Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wont you be my neighbor?

DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I am a 25 year old male with a 24 year old fiance. We have friends in the 23-26 range. Last month we bought a town house in a nice neighborhood. For the month, my neighbors and I have had little or no communication. One set have waved to me, and I have waved back, smiled, etc. The other set just stared at us awkwardly while moving in and otherwise ignore us...

A few weekends I have friends over. Probably every other weekend. I am concious of noise. They go outside and smoke and I remind them to keep it down. Inside we dont blast music or do anything crazy. We may laugh loudly or get excited, but honestly, we do a fine job being courteous.

Last night I had one buddy over to watch the black hawks. My fiance managed to mess up my cable during the second period, so while waiting for her to reset it we went outisde and played a few rounds of bags. This was like 8ish.

After the hawks game, we went back outside to play another game or two. This is 10:30. I realize bags is sort of loud, and the noise isnt something that is consistant to get used to. However I also know its only 10:30 and its a friday. I figure midnight is too late, but before that, its a weekend.

10:40 rolls around and my neighbor who I never speak to or interact with comes out into his yard and says "dont you think its a little late for that?"

First off...he is polish or russian and like 40, I am 25 and neither of those things, so communication is a bit...awkward. He came down and talked to me like a child...I was unhappy. I however appologized and went inside.

Then I started getting upset. I dont want to have to be that cautious about my neighbors at 10:30 on a friday.

Every weekend, theres a house that has a fire out back and is up, outside, drinking until 4-ish. I dont mind, but im just setting the stage that its not like its all old fuddy dutties in the association.

So my question is, how do I handle the situation from here? Personally I feel as long as we are trying to keep it down, we can do what we want before midnight on friday or saturday. After midnight, we need to cut stuff out like bags and hanging outside and keep it inside.

That is my plan. Does that seem fair?

If no...ok, what is fair?

If so. How do I deal with this annoying grouchy pants neighbor? Do I simply prentend last night didnt happen? Do I wait for him to come out again and then explain that 10:30 doesnt seem too late for me and explain I will be done in a bit? Do I buy him earplugs, stick them in his mailbox with a note that reads "10:30 isnt too late, use these."?

Basically I want to be able to do what I want until midnight but I also want to keep things civil with this guy. What are my options?

Disrupter on
616610-1.png
«134

Posts

  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You made too much noise, he got annoyed, he asked you to keep it down

    He has a different bed time than you and you should respect that

    Bags is a silly game to play late at night and thinking you can do what you want until midnight is pretty selfish.

    sig-1.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it's a townhouse, are you sharing a wall, or are they separate units?

    If they're single units, then he really shouldn't have a problem, depending on how loud you guys were. I wouldn't say 10:30 on Friday during summer is too late to be outside if you were trying to keep it at a reasonable level and not screaming drunks.

    Check your HoA rulebook to see what the rules on parties are before you talk to him. When you do, I'd stop over during the weekend or whenever he's home; don't wait till it happens again. Go to his house so he'll have home court advantage and try to work something out.

    Excision wrote: »
    My girlfriend is going down tonight!

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do I buy him earplugs, stick them in his mailbox with a note that reads "10:30 isnt too late, use these."?
    Passive aggressive douchebaggery is never the way to go. Especially with people you have to deal with on a regular basis.

    Since you're in a townhouse, chances are there are places that are close enough to walk to, but far enough away not to bug your neighbor where you can play bags at night. Possibly near the people with the bonfire.
    If not, you may want to talk to your neighbor during the day about what are and aren't acceptable noise levels at what time. You're both adults, treat him like one and respectfully make it clear that you expect the same consideration. The key word here is "respectfully".

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are you my neighbor?!?! (IF bags is what I think it is - you just described our town house layout!) down to the people who have the fire going every night.

    And yea where I live by county ordinance a: noise is what ever the neighbors deem noise and b: after 9pm you got to be quiet regardless.

  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 25, and my partner is 24.

    Our bedtime on a normal weekend is usually around 10:00.

    Just to say that believing that 10:30pm on a Friday is "early" doesn't really tend to jive with the larger world, out there. Generally speaking, after 9:00pm has been the "quiet down" time in most situations.

    Of course, this is never a hard and fast rule. People throw parties, have events, etc. that lead late into the night often. In most cases a respectful neighbor in this sort of noise-conscious situation would give some advanced notice to those around when an event is planned to go later/be loud.

    The general rule of thumb is to keep it inside once the sun goes down, or if you're outside to be conscious and aware of noise. If this guy gives you grief again, talk to him. Promise to keep it inside, or to keep noise outside down. As long as you're not being an ass about it, you'll find most people are very willing to compromise and talk it out when you can put your best foot forward and show that you're more than some guy making noise. Hell, it could even be a good opportunity to get to know your neighbor a little better. Not everyone has weekends off, and this guy could be as simple as having a 5:00am shift on Saturday mornings.

    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bags is a silly game to play late at night and thinking you can do what you want until midnight is pretty selfish.

    I dunno, selfish would be to not remotely consider his side of things. I think its selfish to dictate other people's lives because you are sleepy at 10:30 on a friday. There are ways to handle it, shut the window, buy ear plugs. It was 10 minutes in, so its not like we had been playing all night or anything.
    If it's a townhouse, are you sharing a wall, or are they separate units?

    Unfortunately we are sharing a wall, but the patio area is decently sized and the house is really not much closer then a non-townhouse would be. We were trying to play in the more communal area to keep away from the houses.
    Are you my neighbor?!?!

    haha, maybe! If so, lets work this thing out!

    Also, to re-iterate. It wasnt a party, it was me and one friend, casually hanging out.

    I will check the books to see what the rules are. But regardless, even if they are in my favor, I dont want to just be a dick. All my friends and fiance, who are not usually dicks or bad people, and are usually very curteous are telling me to just ignore him, and that we both pay our morgage and why favor his happiness over my own.

    Talking to him would be...awkward to say the least. This was the first interaction in a month.

    Also, the issue is, my friends and I are all late night people. I get up at 5:30 every day, but id still probably want to be hanging out on weekends until 3-5 in the morning. For me, cutting it at 12 or so is definately compromising compared to the 2-3 id prefere to be out there. I dont get home from work until 7, by the time I eat dinner and get ready its already 8, I dont really have options to do things I want to do outside much earlier. So if I am to quit it at 9, i simply just dont get to have the life I want, which doesnt seem fair.

    616610-1.png
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    After the hawks game, we went back outside to play another game or two. This is 10:30. I realize bags is sort of loud, and the noise isnt something that is consistant to get used to. However I also know its only 10:30 and its a friday. I figure midnight is too late, but before that, its a weekend.

    Right here is where you started acting like a dick. I don't blame your neighbor for being annoyed. If you continue doing this kind of crap don't be surprised if he calls the HOA/cops on you for noise complaints. You probably shouldn't have moved somewhere with shared walls if you knew you were going to be up late out side likely disturbing your neighbors who keep normal hours. This isn't favouring his happiness it's not being a shitty problem causing neighbor.

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How was that being a dick exactly?

    616610-1.png
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Because you said you know it is loud and disrupting but fuck it, you decided to keep playing at 10:30 at night anyway. That is being a dick.

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    because 10:30 isnt a big deal to me. I mean, if it had been 3pm, itd be just as loud and disrupting. Their kids outside are more so.

    Once it became what I considered too late for it, which would have been far earlier then I would like, I would have stopped.

    Having a disagreement about what is "late" and what isnt, is far from just saying fuck it and not caring or being a dick.

    616610-1.png
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And just to throw that in there, I quite often have to work at 5am on saturdays. Ive known several 40-60 year olds who do as well. The dude couldve come out, screamng, be all, "DARN WIPPER SNAPPERS STOP YOUR COMFANGLDED STONERGAMES AND GET INSIDE GEEZE ITS 1030 HAVE SOME DECEENCY BLA BLA"

  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    3 pm is acceptable because it's the middle of the afternoon, if you don't see the difference between 10:30 PM and 3 PM then you're probably going to continue being a shitty neighbor until the HOA steps in or the cops start writing noise citations. But that's your prerogative.

    Keep doing it, go all passive-aggressively childish and send him ear plugs and see what happens since you seem to just be looking for people to tell you that you're totally right and can do whatever you want until whatever time you want and that the rest of the world should totally just deal with it.

    What you should do is recognize that you're not the only person who can hear your loud-ass antics and that at night you should cut it out because not playing a loud game outdoors at night is the reasonable thing to do.

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    because 10:30 isnt a big deal to me.

    A lot of dickish things aren't a big deal to the person who does it. That doesn't make them less dickish.

    10:00 is pretty much the accepted limit for loud outdoor activities in most communities. Maybe your neighbor wouldn't have said anything if it was only 9:50 at the time. Don't assume he's a completely unreasonable person based on a single interaction.

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    3 pm is acceptable because it's the middle of the afternoon, if you don't see the difference between 10:30 PM and 3 PM then you're probably going to continue being a shitty neighbor until the HOA steps in or the cops start writing noise citations. But that's your prerogative.

    Keep doing it, go all passive-aggressively childish and send him ear plugs and see what happens since you seem to just be looking for people to tell you that you're totally right and can do whatever you want until whatever time you want and that the rest of the world should totally just deal with it.

    What you should do is recognize that you're not the only person who can hear your loud-ass antics and that at night you should cut it out because not playing a loud game outdoors at night is the reasonable thing to do.

    Dude, whats your deal? In the situation described I appologized and immediately stopped.

    I am looking for a way to figure out a compromise so I can still enjoy my life while not being a dicky neighbor.

    So far the answer has been no comrpomise, just give up your fun. Which, may be the only option, and that sucks. But I havent been a dick or refused to budge. So, stop acting all higher then thou and insist that im the horrible drug dealing badass neighbor that everyone hates.

    Further more, theres tons of other people out at the time I was playing bags, and much much later. So its not as simple as 10:30 is too late in this area. Its more, 10:30 is too late for my specific neighbor. Perhaps I should go mingle with the people lighting fireworks off at 3am, or drunkenly yelling at 2:15 and see if they mind my bags set being set up near them until 12.

    Lots of people in my association dont think 10:30 is too late. This one guy does. Im trying to figure out a way to have both our desires met. But since Im not just saying "your right, I will completely give up what I want without compromise" im being a dick in your eyes. Quit being so agressive, no good will come of it.

    616610-1.png
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    despite what you think, 10:30 is pretty late

    the general guidelines for a lot of apartments are 7-7, and even then be careful because some people have jobs or lives that require less noise at certain times

    also you're completely overreacting by calling him grouchy and etc
    he doesn't seem grouchy from your post

    he seems like he doesn't want you making loudass noise at 10:30 at night

    i'm 25 and I share that sentiment completely


    edit: it might be because you're RIGHT next door to him rather than several hundred feet away

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What, exactly, is "Bags"?

    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Feminazgul ~*special snowflake*~Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It really doesn't matter if the other people in your association think 10:30 is late or not, it matters 1) what the dude living next to you thinks and 2) what your association rules/town laws say. So he's absolutely within his rights to be angry at you if you decide to ignore those rules/laws and common courtesy again.

    That said, if you plan to have people over another Friday or Saturday night, just give your neighbor a heads up about the shindig, and let him know what time it'll be over and that if he has problems just to ask you and your friends to quiet down and you will.

    Jormungandr? Damn near killed 'er!
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You're neighbor minds so guess what, you have to deal with it. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing because the person YOU SHARE A WALL WITH is being DISRUPTED by you being LOUD at NIGHT. What parts of this don't you understand? You're not willing to take it inside earlier so what compromise do you want because frankly all I'm seeing if you wanting to stay up outside late at night by offering a compromise of staying out even later than the time you have already disturbed your neighbor at.

    It's not "giving up your fun" it's having your fun at a reasonable hour so that you're not waking up your neighbor at night. There is unlikely going to be a way you can be loud until midnight outside that won't bother your neighbor, that's something you should have considered before buying a home that shares a wall with someone.

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the time frame is what makes me feel he was being grouchy. Most people dont shoot up out of bed after 2 minutes of something, get dressed and come outside and complain. He did not remotely try to adjust and see if he could solve his issues on his own. He instantly decided going outside and having a conflict with his neighbor was the best choice.

    I could see if we had been at it for a while. But honestly, would anyone here immediately respond that way? I would assume most people would have to have a slight build up of "ok this is too much, I cant sleep like this" before acting.

    It was like, instant. The 10 minute time table I gave was stretching it, I believe we threw a total of 3 rounds. So, it was likely more like 2-4 minutes.

    I feel like he has every right to come and talk to us about it. I feel like doing it as quickly as he did shows he didnt make any effort to be ok with it. Again, that doesnt change much about the situation, but it does adjust my viewpoint towards him.

    616610-1.png
  • ReitenReiten Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Your schedule isn't a typical one. Generally speaking, noise ordinances kick in at 9 or 10pm. You might not like or agree with that, but it is the standard in most places.

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You're neighbor minds so guess what, you have to deal with it. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing because the person YOU SHARE A WALL WITH is being DISRUPTED by you being LOUD at NIGHT. What parts of this don't you understand? You're not willing to take it inside earlier so what compromise do you want because frankly all I'm seeing if you wanting to stay up outside late at night by offering a compromise of staying out even later than the time you have already disturbed your neighbor at.

    It's not "giving up your fun" it's having your fun at a reasonable hour so that you're not waking up your neighbor at night. There is unlikely going to be a way you can be loud until midnight outside that won't bother your neighbor, that's something you should have considered before buying a home that shares a wall with someone.

    Dude, compromise means we both give something up. If I want to play till 12, he thinks its too late at 10, compromise 11.

    Instead your idea is that we coddle those who are offended first. Its the same idea as if I say "stupid" at work and someone gets offended even though 99 percent of the people dont think the word is bad, we have to make sure not to hurt that one persons feelings.

    You have clearly taken the stance of "even daring to make noise at 10:30 makes you a bad person" so, duley noted, your...advice has been taken but this isnt debate and discourse. I will consider it, but I would like to find an alternate solution I find more appealing.

    616610-1.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I looked in my book, I dont see any time tables. I will check the county.

    616610-1.png
  • UsagiUsagi Feminazgul ~*special snowflake*~Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No offense, but if I had to be up at 5am and you were being loud while I was trying to sleep, you bet your sweet ass I'd be out there as soon as you started up the noise.

    Jormungandr? Damn near killed 'er!
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What is "bags" for it to be so noisy? I'm sorry but I think that expecting complete silence on a friday night at 10:30 PM is silly at best. I wouldn't complain for noise on a friday night at these hours, even if I'm in bed for some reason, unless it's extremely loud.

    Should I complain because the neighbour is mowing his lawn at 8 am on a saturday morning because I am still sleeping? Of course not, the same applies for night noise. 10:30 is not late, just like I can't consider that 8 am is too early for noise.

    PSN / XBL: PatParadize
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As pretty much everyone has stated despite your continued defiance, 9-10pm is the cutoff point at which you become a shitty neighbor for making noise. Nobody cares if it's a weekend but you.

    MOBA DOTA.
  • BoomShakeBoomShake Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bags is a game where you toss palm-sized beanbags, trying to get them in a hole in a wooden board. Since the board things are hollow, there's a pretty good thunk when they hit the board.

    I'm going to agree with pretty much everyone else in here. Just because other neighbors don't complain doesn't mean your neighbor can't complain. 10:30PM is late for noisy outdoor activities. Some people go to bed at reasonable hours, some people work on saturdays, et cetera. This neighbor who complained seemed quite reasonable as far folks in that can be. I doubt you'd get any complaints if you were just sitting outside late, talking at a low volume, like many people often do on summer nights.

    Furthermore, you are the new guy here, remember that, and one who hasn't taken the time to meet his new neighbors. I know I'd be much more lenient with a friendly acquaintance making noise at night (or whatever else) than some douche just doing it. Something tells me this is your first real place out of college.

  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh ok, yeah I can guess how this could be considered too loud at these hours. I was think of something like playing haki sacks (sp?) while talking shit.

    PSN / XBL: PatParadize
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Bags is a game where you toss palm-sized beanbags, trying to get them in a hole in a wooden board. There's a pretty good thunk when they hit the board.

    I'm going to agree with pretty much everyone else in here. Just because other neighbors don't complain doesn't mean your neighbor can't complain. 10:30PM is late for noisy outdoor activities. Some people go to bed at reasonable hours, some people work on saturdays, et cetera. This neighbor who complained seemed quite reasonable as far folks in that can be. I doubt you'd get any complaints if you were just sitting outside late, talking at a low volume, like many people often do on summer nights.

    Furthermore, you are the new guy here, remember that, and one who hasn't taken the time to meet his new neighbors. I know I'd be much more lenient with a friendly acquaintance making noise at night (or whatever else) than some douche just doing it. Something tells me this is your first real place out of college.

    I didn't want to say anything, but it really does sound like this is partly due to the transition from more "youth-oriented" housing situations into a more "adult" setup.

    Talk to this guy, but know that the majority of the world considers 9-10pm to be the "quiet-time".

    Compromise, as well, doesn't mean immediately coming to the mid-point. It's about coming to a mutually-agreed upon settlement, and that rarely means cutting the problem in half.

    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From what I can tell, the laws in IL are 10pm.

    I just honestly cant believe everyone in here lives such a life where they go quiet at 9-10pm.

    To me, rude isnt 20 minutes over the legal limit, rude is hours passed that amount and just not remotely caring what others think.

    I suppose I can see if I can take it to the garage to keep it down. Not sure if itll work both for noise muffling and for actual play, but its worth a shot.

    I just havent met anyone in real life with such stingy views on what is late night before. Not from my family, friends, co-workers. Ive been raised that 12 is late, before that you dont need to worry much. I have never really met anyone other then my neighbor who feels strongly differently.

    I literally regret buying this house so much right now. Its a great place, but I cant stand to not feel like I can live my life. I feel like i have to walk on eggshells because I have a neighbor who responds in 2 minutes to any sort of noise he dislikes...

    I disagree with the timetable, vehemently. But since the opinion is "you are wrong" I guess ill move it to my garage.

    616610-1.png
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    disruptor

    you may not realize it but you're being very obnoxious about this whole thing

    you think you're not, and you think you're trying to compromise with the guy but what you're saying is basically

    "I'm going to punch you in the face, you don't want me to punch you at all, so we'll compromise and I'll punch you in the gut. WHAT? YOU DON'T WANT THAT COMPROMISE? UGH YOU'RE A BAD PERSON!"

    10:30 pm is late, even for a weekend. If someone was being loud outside my house at 10:30, and I was trying to sleep, you better believe i would get up, get dressed and tell them to stop

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you regret not being able to make loud noises outside at 10:30 so much that you regret buying the house?

    that's just weird, man

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    From what I can tell, the laws in IL are 10pm.

    I just honestly cant believe everyone in here lives such a life where they go quiet at 9-10pm.

    To me, rude isnt 20 minutes over the legal limit, rude is hours passed that amount and just not remotely caring what others think.

    I suppose I can see if I can take it to the garage to keep it down. Not sure if itll work both for noise muffling and for actual play, but its worth a shot.

    I just havent met anyone in real life with such stingy views on what is late night before. Not from my family, friends, co-workers. Ive been raised that 12 is late, before that you dont need to worry much. I have never really met anyone other then my neighbor who feels strongly differently.

    I literally regret buying this house so much right now. Its a great place, but I cant stand to not feel like I can live my life. I feel like i have to walk on eggshells because I have a neighbor who responds in 2 minutes to any sort of noise he dislikes...

    I disagree with the timetable, vehemently. But since the opinion is "you are wrong" I guess ill move it to my garage.

    This has happened once, correct?

    So be a little more self-aware and most likely there won't be another problem.

    You're acting like every time you sneeze or run the blender he runs out of his house yelling and screaming calling the cops and trying to get you evicted by the HOA.

    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User
    edited June 2010
    You did right by apologising to the guy. As someone who is crotchety beyond my years, I can say that the neighbor will not stay mad when a noisemaker apologises and takes the party indoors. "A gentle word turns away wrath" and all that.

    I would say... try inviting the complaining neighbor (and his family, if applicable, and maybe a couple other neighbors) over for a BBQ sometime. People are far more willing to cut you some slack regarding the noise if they know you personally.

    It would also be a good way to get to know you neighbors better.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ceresceres Just your problem OoSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    So I went through a rather long period of my life where I had to work nights. This usually meant that I needed to be in a deep sleep around 3pm, because I didn't even get back to my house till 9am.

    I can tell you right now, nobody is going to respect that like they're telling you to respect someone's 10pm bedtime, so in my opinion, fuck 'em. In a situation like that there is always somebody who lives near you who is sleeping, so whenever you go outside and make tons of noise and let your kids screech at the top of their lungs and play your stupid loud game, SOMEBODY thinks you're an asshole and wishes you would fucking move already. You were at least trying to be reasonable, and you don't do it all the time, and the only thing I'd say is that if you're going to do it again try to chat more quietly.

    You're making a big deal over nothing. The guy felt you were being too loud, he asked you to stop, and you did. As far as he's concerned it's over, and if it should happen again all you have to do is say "Sorry, we'll try to be quieter" and then try to be quieter when you play.

    I've got my own life and I've got my own plans
    I hope you understand, and like the way that I am
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Find a quieter game or modify the target thingy so it muffles sound.

    Also old immigrant guys always talk to other adults like they are children. My landlord does it to me. That's just what they do, he didn't meant to put you down or anything.

  • UsagiUsagi Feminazgul ~*special snowflake*~Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a feeling if you just relocate your shenanigans you're still going to piss off your neighbor.

    You've started out on the wrong foot with him and you'd probably be really smart to go over and apologize and have a decent not-noise related conversation with him so he knows you outside of being irritated with you.

    Jormungandr? Damn near killed 'er!
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey OP, you have a fiance and own a town home now so you're taking on adult responsibilities. Time to grow up and actually act like an adult instead of a frat boy who thinks there's no difference between some noise at 3 pm and 10:30 pm. You're simply acting childish here.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess I also have always just let things slide. If someone was outside annoying me, id just roll over, turn on a fan and ignore it. To me, ive always felt let people do what they want even if its a bit of an inconvenience for you. Its much easier to just turn on a fan or get ear plugs or shut the window for me then to feel like a dick going out there and ruining someone elses fun. (note I said feel, not be)

    616610-1.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    You're assuming that something that doesn't bother you shouldn't bother anyone else. That's not how this works.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    you regret not being able to make loud noises outside at 10:30 so much that you regret buying the house?

    that's just weird, man

    Well, its a starter home, I plan on being here for 3-4 years. So, my young adult years. I wanted it to be a place where my friends and I could hang out and not worry about stuff like keeping family members up and what not.

    We are not loud or obnoxious people. Bags is, inherently a loud game. And perhaps there is a way to modify the holes so they make less noise. I think the garage will help since that thing muffles noise like crazy.

    I think you all misunderstand where Im coming from. I do honestly care a lot about not making noise. So much that when my friends went out and smoked 2 weeks ago, I had my fiance go upstairs, and listen to see if it was remotely audible.

    I just, honestly didnt think people gave a shit before like 12. I figured, yes they may be annoyed, but would realize that people live different schedules and put up with it. I guess that was a bad assumption. One that leads me to regret buying a townhome.
    You're assuming that something that doesn't bother you shouldn't bother anyone else. That's not how this works.

    No. I didnt think the noise would bother them. However, I also assumed that since I usually suck up a bit of annoyance to let people do what they want, that others were the same. Apparently thats not how it works either. Lesson learned.

    616610-1.png
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.