As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Neptune's Pride] Here there be graphs

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For the next PA game (this is from the discussion board for Neptune's Pride on Facebook):
    #
    Nico Disseldorp
    I'm considering making my next game use aliases, however my friends all know that I'm the one that paid and hosts our games.

Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't end up giving myself away by being top of the list?
    about 2 months ago · Report
    #
    Dave Grainger
    Having set up a game.
    Wait till someone else joins.
    You can then leave the game and then rejoin with a different alias

Though if you do that, we won't be able to see the pretty pictures next time. It's too bad the game doesn't have an "observer mode" that lets others see the overall star map (minimap mode, no fleets) and player stats.

Darian on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yesterday:
    np20101112.jpg

Today:
    np20101113.jpg

Okay, forgive me being short with this but I just had a hell of a night at work so fuck off if you want more.

Blue is regaining some territory. Yellow is holding steady. Cyan losing a bit of pace, Pink is getting scattered, and Green has emerged as our new super-power. Top stars, top player.

Also somehow despite losing territory I can still see as much territory. :V

Henroid on
  • Options
    BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game sounds pretty awesome. I'd love to jump in if you guys do another game after this one.

Bluefoot on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, today's update:
    The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is everyone else's scan that high henroid?

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, not everyone else's scan is that high. And frankly, out of all games I've played, this is among the highest I've ever experienced.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ah, I never realized that line on the galaxy-view was scan range. Neato.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I totally think you guys should let me survive with one planet, that'd be stellar.

Also! 6 (edited from 5)v1 is rough! Wish purple wouldn't have gone MIA...

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I can agree to letting people who have "lost" have one planet just to see the course of the game, and give reports on things as they see it.

Did you have an alliance of sorts with purple, Paper?

Henroid on
  • Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wouldn't call it an alliance, no more than what we had but he had plans to mess around. And he was feeding me information! Perhaps it was all lies!

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I hope nothing happened to him IRL 'cause he hasn't spoken up at all about a damn thing. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FUUUUUUUUUUUU

79da78e14d05e4301f71d829c70a072e.png

I think I broke it.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    FUUUUUUUUUUUU
    79da78e14d05e4301f71d829c70a072e.png

I think I broke it.

That happened to me a few times in our first game. Nothin' to worry about.
    Probably.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I got an error or two today but it clears up shortly after.

Today's Sombrero update is gonna come late on account of me being fed up IRL with some things (not game related).

Henroid on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I feel like a little fish in a pond full of sharks.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Looks to me like there's really just two big sharks.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    Looks to me like there's really just two big sharks.

I'd say three, still:

Total Ships:

chart?chs=640x240&chd=s:KKJKKLLLKKLMMMLLKLMMMNNNNNNLKKKLLMLMNNOPQQ,KKKIHGGGGGHHGHHIHIIIIJJJKKKLLLFFGGGHGGGHHH,MMMOMMNNOPQQRRSSTUVVWXYZaabcddWWXXYZYYZaaa,MNMIJIIIHIIIJJIIIJJJKHHHGGGGFGHEDDDEFFFGGG,KKLLLMMNNNOOPPPQQQRSSSTUUUVWWXYYZZXZZabbcd,MNNNNOOOOPPPPQRRSSTUUVVTTTSTTUUUVSSRQOONOM,NOOOPONOOQRRSUUVXYYabZbcdfhikmnmoprwy03589,LLLKKKLKKKKLMMNNOPQQRSSRSSRRSTUVWXYZaccdfg,RSSTUUVVWWXXYYZabccdefgghiijkmoprtvyyy0257,OOOOOOONNNMNNOOPPPPPPPNNNNKIGGGHHHDDCCBBBC,MNNNOOOPPPQQQRRRSSTTTUUVVWWXXYYZZabbcddefc,UVVWXYZabbcdefghhijkklmkllmnpqrsuprsuwyy02,&chd=s:KKJKKLLLKKLMMMLLKLMMMNNNNNNLKKKLLMLMNNOPQQ,KKKIHGGGGGHHGHHIHIIIIJJJKKKLLLFFGGGHGGGHHH,MMMOMMNNOPQQRRSSTUVVWXYZaabcddWWXXYZYYZaaa,MNMIJIIIHIIIJJIIIJJJKHHHGGGGFGHEDDDEFFFGGG,KKLLLMMNNNOOPPPQQQRSSSTUUUVWWXYYZZXZZabbcd,MNNNNOOOOPPPPQRRSSTUUVVTTTSTTUUUVSSRQOONOM,NOOOPONOOQRRSUUVXYYabZbcdfhikmnmoprwy03589,LLLKKKLKKKKLMMNNOPQQRSSRSSRRSTUVWXYZaccdfg,RSSTUUVVWWXXYYZabccdefgghiijkmoprtvyyy0257,OOOOOOONNNMNNOOPPPPPPPNNNNKIGGGHHHDDCCBBBC,MNNNOOOPPPQQQRRRSSTTTUUVVWWXXYYZZabbcddefc,UVVWXYZabbcdefghhijkklmkllmnpqrsuprsuwyy02&cht=lc&chxt=y&chxl=0:|0|292|584|876|1171&chls=3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3&chco=ff0000,ffff00,7FFEFF,004080,ff7F00,7f00FF,600000,00ff00,006000,ff00ff,804000,FFFFFF&chm=V,444444,0,-6,2,-1&chf=bg,s,000000&chma=16,8,8,8

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know. Maybe White just has really good resources on his planets, but his inactivity early in the game makes me think he can't really keep up. His tech suffers compared to dark green and red, and his industry is very low.

Edit: The screen that keeps popping up to tell me to buy credits is getting a little out of hand.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    State of the galaxy from Saturday:
    np20101113.jpg

And today:
    np20101116.jpg

The war in the center of the galaxy concluded with Pink's surrender, making a request to hold a single star to at least see the events of the galaxy unfold (hopefully everyone here allows for that request, it's only fair). Pink's Empire has mostly been consumed by Lime, a little by Brown (some leap-frogging apparently), and partially by Orange.

The war in the south continues to burn on some. Blue and Yellow now hold small territories. Green has cut in with a strong offensive on Yellow and Cyan alike and on Blue as well. Meanwhile, Dark Red also continues his aggressiveness on Blue and Cyan where applicable. Red's progress has long since been a withdraw.

The massive land-grab in the east is about to conclude. Green and White have aggressively snatched up territory held by purple.

As it stands from open-info in the game (you can few player ship counts, tech, etc) Green has emerged a giant in Science and tech, with Dark Red following up. White is also a super power in this game.

Orange, Yellow, and Blue hold minimal territory. Red, Lime, Brown, and Cyan are the middle-class.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love this thread because you guys have no idea what's happening. There are all these little narratives and plots that are secret.

Lux on
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How do you gift planets? Can you not do it in free mode?
    I only see the option to gift cash and tech.

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That was in an earlier version of the game; I don't think it is available now, even as an option in paid games.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cunty wrote: »
    How do you gift planets? Can you not do it in free mode?
    I only see the option to gift cash and tech.

You can't gift planets at all, as far as I know.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll let slip that I'm not one of the top 3.

That said, when I look at their shit, I'm horrified. I honestly don't know why I haven't been completely vaporized yet.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jesus god, do we ever have a runaway leader:

http://np.ironhelmet.com/gamestats?game=13308438

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Green's science rating is goddamn bananas. I've never seen that in a game before.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Seriously. Good job on that, Green.

...unless maybe Green is me? BWAHAHAHAHA.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You're brown or lime, shut up Imperfect. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Green's science rating is goddamn bananas. I've never seen that in a game before.

What, seriously? You should've hung around the first game, then - both Hobo and I had science ratings in the 50s (or higher) by the end of the game.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    You're brown or lime, shut up Imperfect. :P

Hush, you, quit givin' me away.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's a little bit depressin' that the top three are all the ones who started on the edges of the universe, and everyone in the middle got et up.

I hope it's merely because they played a better game, and not the easier-to-theorize-about having fewer borders to deal with. *sigh*

Would be neat to see a universe where everyone starts at the edges, but the inside is dense and delicious.

Also, Henroid! Where was yesterday's update?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Brown and Cyan I think were the other two at outer corners and they're not doing well.

But, I certainly think the border gives a notable advantage.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tuesday:
    np20101116.jpg

Today:
    np20101119.jpg

The war in the south is pretty much over thanks to Green's aggressive intervention. Cyan is now pushed back into a really reclusive part of the galaxy (which isn't picture fully above). Blue has been decimated into an observation mode. Pink had done so too, but Orange jumped on Pink's requested observation post. Yellow has come to the same 'fate' as Blue, shrinking down to an observer.

The good news out of this is that there's a new war!

From the look of the map above, White and Dark Red are starting to trade blows with Green at the far north and far south. Green's in-game stats are still pretty astronomical. Industry and economy are massive, as is the science facility count (which is at 33 I think; by comparison I have 9).

Lime hasn't shown any star-control growth, same with Brown (who retains a leap-frog of stars across Lime).

Orange has a dotted pattern of stars lost to Red.

So the three super-powers in the galaxy are starting to throw down. Meanwhile there are four-middle powers.

Edit - Oh, and Yellow has asked for observation-asylum at Algol, which I've stated I'm willing to grant (technically it's in my territory).

As buyer of this game session, I ask that people honor requests like this. Because I dunno if people can observe once they've been removed from a game. If they still can, well, forget it. But I'm not happy that Pink was removed after he asked for an observation and Orange moved in (hence my aggression Orange, shame shame). Also, if you request an observation star and then launch an attack from it, you forfeit your request. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually, you should require people who want observation status to disband their fleets (just transfer all the ships to the planet).

My impression is that players can still log in and view the game, send messages and such after they've been eliminated, but if they have no planets, they will be completely unable to view fleet movement and planet infrastructure (which requires scanning).

Darkewolfe - if you're still reading the thread, you're in a unique position to check that, since you went inactive and then were consumed in our game.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If you want to make that rule debatable, feel free to do so.

... When you pay for a game. Since I paid for this one, I'm putting my foot down on it. Besides, it's just a nice thing to do if someone wants to be able to check on a game after "losing."

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I wasn't trying to disagree with you, just offering a slight refinement that would eliminate the observation -> fleet attack potential. Using the word "should" for that was improper, though.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thing is, I'm trying to put some trust into people from this community. We don't have to go through complicated shenanigans to ensure they get a 0 eco, 0 ind star. Just let them sit tight and that's that. Like I said, if they launch an attack they forfeit their observer-mode status.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Things are heating up. The Sombrero Galaxy will never be the same!

Lux on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Green has declared war on, uh, everyone. But I think everyone had that idea in mind anyway.

It's going to be hilarious if he wins in the end, you know.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yesterday:
    np20101119.jpg

Today:
    np20101120.jpg

Super-Power News:
    Green seems to be on a total defensive with not much territory gained. Dark Red's progress into Green's territory isn't as apparent as White's.

Middle-Power News:
    Lime has manage to embed himself a little deep into Green's territory, foregoing a natural inclination people have to chew on the outside of people's territories I guess? I dunno it looks neat. Brown has managed to claim a star way over to the east, not sure how that happened. And lastly, Red is starting to consume Orange.

Lower-Power News:
    Yellow (insect-people) claims victory over Blue (the turtle-people), took him long enough.

In terms of statistics, Dark Red has grown considerably in Industry, and White has grown in a general sense. Despite losing ground, Green remains a freakin' powerhouse.

Henroid on