As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY] VVVVVV! Hmm? What's this? New levels?

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually really liked the controls in Meat Boy, even with the slipperiness. I guess I didn't mind it because it was clearly intentional, given the context, and the controls were tight otherwise. I got a good handle on it fairly quickly.

And somehow, no matter how many times I died in later levels, I never got super frustrated. I was still enjoying playing it and trying to achieve the seemingly impossible.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks pretty cool as a platformer. I just saw it in SE++

Limbo

It's only on xbla at the moment though. Apparantly it's quite a hard platformer.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not hard, just cheap. But endearingly so.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like I'll be wrapping this up by the end of August. Sorry it's been so long since I came back to this, but my band is finishing up our CD and that's taken a lot more time than this little LP, plus it actually earns me money.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately, the trial has run out on my text-to-speech software today. I don't remember if there is dialog past this point but if so, I guess I should just purchase it. I wouldn't want to switch voices now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately, the trial has run out on my text-to-speech software today. I don't remember if there is dialog past this point but if so, I guess I should just purchase it. I wouldn't want to switch voices now.
    Alternatively, you can fill those voice roles in yourself by pretending to have a robotic guy and robotic gal voice.

DO EET

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    watched the end

pretty good

also yeah, FUCK the tower

fuck it fuck it fuck it

Rent on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    DO EET

Houn on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While we're on the topic of VVVVVV, I played Gravitron for like an hour the other day and got maybe 13 seconds. I then got my soul completely crushed by watching a YouTube video of some guy doing it for almost two minutes. It was insane.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lalabox wrote: »
    This looks pretty cool as a platformer. I just saw it in SE++

Limbo

It's only on xbla at the moment though. Apparantly it's quite a hard platformer.

Working on this game right now actually. I don't have a capture card or anything though, so no console LPs from me. :(

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    just get an hd-pvr like me >.>

ed: also it's a game that doesn't really work as an LP, esp a Josh lp, unless it's blind, since 90% of the difficulty is cheap deaths built on not knowing/expecting what to do or happen

Rent on
  • Options
    ftrftr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    btw guys - I know this is kinda off topic, sorry. If you like the soundtrack to this game, check out SKP. He's a Belfast based 8-bit/chiptune musician who does most of his stuff on gameboys

http://www.myspace.com/skppp

ftr on
    PSN: ftr2k8
    PC PS3 PS2 DS PSP.
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I saw that earlier in the thread you weren't feeling like you were getting a ton of feedback, yet you seemed to have a lot of unique views. Firstly, I seldom have much to contribute to LPs, so I don't really post, but believe me, I have very much appreciated your IWTBTG and VVVVVV LPs. Super fun, and you're definitely one of those LPers that is fun to hear having an aneurysm! I'm not sure if that is a compliment, but thanks for going through the torture so I don't have to!

Edit: Oh, and I think the text-to-speech was an awesome touch for this one! It fit with the game perfectly, and if I hadn't already known, I would have thought it was part of the original.

ftr - I quite like that guy's music, thanks for that link. I actually ended up buying the VVVVVV soundtrack (well, I donated $4 for it - http://souleye.madtracker.net/), since the music is so catchy, and now that... I didn't realize I'd like chiptune stuff so much.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chiptunes, then. Enjoy your stay

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Somehow I missed this LP. My facebook status is now ‎"REGULAR TROMBONE! ...not as nasty as a rusty trombone, but it's still pretty gross..."

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    schmads wrote: »
    I saw that earlier in the thread you weren't feeling like you were getting a ton of feedback, yet you seemed to have a lot of unique views. Firstly, I seldom have much to contribute to LPs, so I don't really post, but believe me, I have very much appreciated your IWTBTG and VVVVVV LPs. Super fun, and you're definitely one of those LPers that is fun to hear having an aneurysm! I'm not sure if that is a compliment, but thanks for going through the torture so I don't have to!

Edit: Oh, and I think the text-to-speech was an awesome touch for this one! It fit with the game perfectly, and if I hadn't already known, I would have thought it was part of the original.

ftr - I quite like that guy's music, thanks for that link. I actually ended up buying the VVVVVV soundtrack (well, I donated $4 for it - http://souleye.madtracker.net/), since the music is so catchy, and now that... I didn't realize I'd like chiptune stuff so much.

Thanks! I need to go get a full body scan one of these days, and I'll just blame anything they find on these two LPs.

Salvation: I would do something like that, but I'm not sure I'd get the same sort of acceptance of my deviant behavior on Facebook :P

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Did this LP finish, JoshOfAllTrades? I remember you were trying to find time to do some prologue videos.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    It's finished for all intents and purposes, but if by some miracle I find time to get the few remaining shinies, I reserve the right to resurrect this. I wanted to do it before the semester started but didn't get the chance, and I've got 3 heavy science classes this semester, all of them have separately-graded labs (so they may as well be 3 other classes), and another class which was supposed to be easy and actually turned out to be difficult. That, plus 40 hours a week of work at one job and up to 10 at my second job, plus 2 kids and wife and I'm up to my eyeballs in shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That sounds like quitter talk!
    Just kidding holy shit that's a lot of stuff

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    That's it Josh

You're no longer in the lp cool club

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I was in the lp cool club?!

Did we have a secret clubhouse

can I come in for just a little while before I get kicked out

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Clean out your locker. You're out.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Guys, it's been a long time since I checked on this, but I just looked and I have 2800 views.

Just wanted to say thanks for watching, whoever you are. It's inspired me to possibly come back and either do more on this one or get started on the fan sequel to I Wanna Be The Guy, which is actually harder than the original in some ways.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've loved both your LPs, but I'm not cruel enough to request you do the sequel to IWBTG. Watching the first one was hilarious, but I'm afraid we might actually hear you have a brain aneurysm and die if you do the second one.

...do it.

Burgu on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh man

the summary is funny

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Burgu wrote: »
    I've loved both your LPs, but I'm not cruel enough to request you do the sequel to IWBTG. Watching the first one was hilarious, but I'm afraid we might actually hear you have a brain aneurysm and die if you do the second one.

...do it.
    I'd love to see Josh do I Wanna Be The Fangame, but he has to know that the FANGAME has 257% more bullshit deaths.

There's a few interesting features in there but whoever made it didn't exactly balance the frustration out. More frustrating than challenging in its design.

Edit: I dunno about I Wanna Be The Tribute or I Wanna Be the Ripoff or I Wanna Be The Ultimatum, however.
    So we should make Josh play though all of them. It's the only way to be sure.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Burgu wrote: »

...do it.
    I'd love to see Josh do I Wanna Be The Fangame, but he has to know that the FANGAME has 257% more bullshit deaths.

There's a few interesting features in there but whoever made it didn't exactly balance the frustration out. More frustrating than challenging in its design.

Edit: I dunno about I Wanna Be The Tribute or I Wanna Be the Ripoff or I Wanna Be The Ultimatum, however.
    So we should make Josh play though all of them. It's the only way to be sure.

Yeah, I'm finding this out. Also, the move speed and jump height is just... off somehow from IWBTG. Like he jumps an inch higher than I'm used to, and so I find myself hitting spikes that would have been impossible for me to reach in the original.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The best part of the explicit run down is the "God damn scrotum suckers" callout about 45 seconds in.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey, hey Josh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0jLV5DprZY&feature=player_embedded

(it's not real, but it's pretty cool either way)

Lalabox on
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fuck

veni, vidi, vici

so hard

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nifty Lalabox

Some really cool graphic design stuff

I'm seriously considering making Super Meat Boy my next LP when it's out on PC

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nifty Lalabox

Some really cool graphic design stuff

I'm seriously considering making Super Meat Boy my next LP when it's out on PC
    Hey, I was going to do that...

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well go ahead then. I don't exactly have the right to piss on a game and claim the LP. There'll be plenty of other ridiculously difficult games.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What if we somehow pooled our resources? Or something? I want to LP Super Meat Boy, but I don't want to deprive the world of more of your unique brand of cursing.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I posted a suggestion for an assembled team of 5 LPers to take a world apiece for a set in the LP archive thread. Little work; just one segment to edit. The big problem is that everybody responded with a massive amount of interest and some people would likely get left out.

I guess you could split it up into light/dark worlds, but still... it might be a logistical nightmare. And I'd jealously guard the most difficult levels. :P

Also, whoever got the Forest would probably have to do the Hospital too. Those early levels are too easy, even Dark world.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In an ideal world I'd like to find another zippy Amiga platformer to tackle. Something with the zip and pace of VVVVVV. Fury of the Furries was a good choice but it got incredibly tedious in the latest world and I lost the interest. That and the lives/saved system is absolutely fucked up.

I'm looking at doing Benefactor Zool, or James Pond 2: Robocod. Maybe even Superfrog.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bought this game last week

Fuck "Not As I Do"

Fuck it so much

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pfft try Super Meat Boy

on the other hand don't

it's so

so awful

Rent on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Super Meat Boy is fantastic, and josh's love of it was what prompted me to pick up VVVVVV as well

I'm only on world 3 on SMB but I've yet to come across something as brutal as Not As I Do

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    oh well yeah not as i do is some bullshit

but easily the broken bugged portal and a shitload of dark world levels are worse than that

Rent on