As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] VVVVVV! Hmm? What's this? New levels?

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Been a long time for me.
vvvvvv_jul15_1.png

THE VIDEOS

If you're only interested in the frustration (special thanks to ohthecommotion!):

Summary of Swears

VVVVVV is a puzzle/platforming game by Terry Cavanagh. It features a chiptune soundtrack and Commodore 64 graphics. The primary game mechanic is that there is no jumping. You alter gravity in order to get from the floor to the ceiling, many times dodging spikes or dangerous obstacles in your way. Most of the games segments have some variation on this mechanic; one stretches lines between platforms that reverse your gravity when touched, for instance: (spoilered for huge)
vvvvvv_screenshot_9.jpg

You play as the captain of a spaceship. After mysterious events, you and your crew members are teleported around and you must rescue them.

The game is mostly open-ended in that you can explore the map and rescue your crew in whatever order you like, but there are a few scripted sequences here and there that will show up no matter who you rescue.

Additionally, there are 20 "shiny things" scattered around the map. They are more difficult to gather than simply rushing through to rescue your crew, but collecting them is worth it. They unlock different game modes.

Everything kills you in one hit, just like IWBTG. Spikes, the word "YES", cars, everything.

The chiptune soundtrack is also worthy of mention.

The first video is just an introduction. The game gets much, much more difficult.

Buy the game here!

joshofalltrades on

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Biggest difference about VVVVVV and IWBTG is that I find VVVVVV to be more charming and less mean, you know?

edit: Also, LP foul! Not having a set for us to devour already?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's coming, I promise! I just wanted to get this out there so you know it will be here soon.

joshofalltrades on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this a blind LP? If not approximately how many sets can we expect until you are birthing new explicitives from your froth covered word hole? I mean that in a good way.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not blind, but it has been several months since I played the game in order to be "fresh" and not so practiced. Right now I'm looking for a bad text-to-speech program. Who would have thought it'd be so difficult?

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    You don't have a mic? Or are you just afraid to curse around the young ones?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    No, I have a mic, but I want the lo-fi archaic voices for conversations instead of just being quiet during the dialogs.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Finally got it all sorted out, and Part 1 is rendering now. I'll have it up here in the next 15 minutes or so, I hope.

EDIT:

Hole-EE SHEEeeeeeit, it's almost 2 Gigs in size. Gonna take a while to upload. How did an 8 minute long video get to 2 gigs?!

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Part 1 is up! It's poor quality, since it would have taken several hours to get the good quality copy up. Maybe I'll do that later.

joshofalltrades on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright!

I am looking forward to Sad Elephant. Sad Elephant is the best.

Also, Purest Unobtanium.

Lucedes on
    edited July 2010
    There is one part in particular that I am definitely not looking forward to

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    What... what the fuck? My account got disabled for terms of use violation? Bull fucking shit.

Anybody have a site other than YouTube I can upload to and play videos from that doesn't eat monkey turds?

joshofalltrades on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Could try Viddler. I know nothing about the site itself other than it's a youtube clone, though.

EtherealWalrus on
    edited July 2010
    Well my IWBTG LP is gone forever now. I deleted it off my hard drive not 15 minutes before they decided to ban me.

Guess I'll try Viddler.

joshofalltrades on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    please don't do viddler, it sucks

polsy, however
    polsy is good stuff

WeGame is sweet too

Rent on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    please don't do viddler, it sucks

polsy, however
    polsy is good stuff

WeGame is sweet too

uhhh...Polsy is just a front end for media playback sites like Viddler, you still have to upload it there.

Viddler is fine, Blip.tv is where most of the LP community puts their stuff now.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited July 2010
    Can you appeal or something? What's TOS violation? All the 8 Bit music? Being a gameplay video?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    Being a gameplay video?

dis

90% of the time it's because someone reported all/none of his videos for posting 'gameplay vids' w/o permission and youtube auto-banned him

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    I got no explanation. Frankly I'm kind of sick of YouTube's bullshit, though. They don't do any checking, they just tear shit down. I got a TOS violation for having a Blues Brothers song in the IWBTG LP, I removed it entirely and they still wouldn't allow my video to be up. Ridiculous.

I'll look into Blip.tv, but in the meantime it'll be up on Viddler. That won't work in the long run though, since they only leave stuff up for thirty days.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Being a gameplay video?

dis

Yeah, but there's a million Let's Plays up on YouTube. Why mine?

They even have a category called Gaming. But no games allowed!

EDIT: Blip.tv has a thing specifically saying no video game recordings allowed.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    josh- don't do viddler seriously

wegame is like soooooo much better

Someone probably doesn't/didn't like you on YT, in response to your question about 'why yours'

anyways honestly YT LPs have a negative connotation and since yours are actually you know good you shouldn't associate with that trash
    Being a gameplay video?

dis

Yeah, but there's a million Let's Plays up on YouTube. Why mine?

They even have a category called Gaming. But no games allowed!

EDIT: Blip.tv has a thing specifically saying no video game recordings allowed.

No straight videos

As long as it's voiced and you post a video description of it you should be okay

ed: a short intro is good

basically blip is all about episodic content. a VLP is considered episodic content. but you have to make sure to 1) post a video description of it 2) if you can have a little intro or something (this can be like your voice rattling off the name of the LP and "Episode/set X" or whatever else you want to do). Just whatever you do don't just post the video with no description or they'll assume it's just a video of straight gameplay and delete your shit

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    All right, looks like I'm gonna scattershot this so it'll be available in a few places soon.

Viddler is first since that's the first suggestion I got. It'll be up on Blip soon after and I'll look into wegame.

joshofalltrades on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Viddler streams atrociously slow. Like, 1080p from Youtube? Just fine, might have to let it load for 30 seconds or so beforehand, but good clarity and steady framerate. 320p on Viddler? Better let that sit for half an hour, because that's the only way I'll get a complete stream.

Also man whut, IWBTG is gone now? That was one of the few pieces of schadenfreude I could actually enjoy. :(

Mars on
    edited July 2010
    I updated my above post josh

you might also want to try dailymotion if your vids are under 20 minutes

basically I'm urging you to try anything but viddler because holllllllly shit does viddler suck now

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    I don't think you'll have to worry too much about Viddler because Blip seems to be uploading faster than Viddler can encode.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Part One is finally up for you to watch. Link is in the OP, but just in case you don't feel like scrolling back up, here ya go.

It's on Blip.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    one of your links is to a download (additionally: YAY you made it downloadable! <3) and the other is to the blip page (which in inaccessible to pubbies, you might want to change that)

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, thought the page I was viewing was the main one.

UGH, tons of technical problems this time. Hope it's worth it once I finally get this thing up and running

Fixed now, and I left the download link

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    If it's not too much trouble can you have a dl option for your remaining sets? I'd really appreciate it if you could but if you can't, no problem

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    I am planning on it. Once I became aware that it was an option, it wasn't even a question of whether or not I would do it. I'm sure if it's available for download it will live on a lot longer than IWBTG should it disappear from online.

Also, I had the option of earning money from ads for this thing but it's not fucking worth it. I know I'd personally rather watch an LP without wasting 15 seconds on a car commercial first, and I'm not putting you all through that shit.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Okay just watched the first set

Thoughts:

Okay seriously that voice-to-text stuff was fantastic for us people who've already played the game, it really fit the style thematically and wasn't the imo annoying as shit "lper reads dialogue aloud in 'funny' voice" stuff, josh I love it

Nice to see you back in the swing of things, "uh"s and all! :mrgreen:

Also I'm seriously glad that even though it took you this long to LP another game you brought your A game, it was worth the wait to see the standard of excellence maintained from IWBTG

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I need to get used to narrating shit again

I thought about doing another "take" but decided if I did that every time I said "uh" I was never gonna do another LP again

Glad to hear you like the text to speech, it took longer than anything else making this video and if nobody liked it I wasn't about to do it again

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    Oh snap. The text to speech is such a nice touch

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    Yo josh your sig needs some pimping

here

sigforjosh1.jpg

sig is clickable, leads to this thread

ed: well if I weren't jailed it would be

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    Yo josh your sig needs some pimping

here

sigforjosh1.jpg

sig is clickable, leads to this thread

ed: well if I weren't jailed it would be

Nicely done!

The best part of doing LPs is getting avs/sigs

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    This was all just a sinister plot by you to get a free sig wasn't it

You bastard

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't call it sinister so much as dastardly
    Make me an avatar

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    V guy with the laughing man head?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    Finished recording part 2, coming up shortly

Actually I don't think the Laughing Man will be sticking around, I think I'm the last guy with him for an av

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    God you are so demanding josh

joshav.png

Rent on
    edited July 2010
    God you are so demanding josh

joshav.png

Why don't you come to bed honey, it's getting late and you did so much for me today

Part 2 is uploading now

joshofalltrades on