As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Have you been posting? I'm sorry but I'll have to see some [RealID]!

• Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    The purpose of online gaming in general and MMOs in specific is escapism.

No the purpose is to have fun.

For some people it's not fun knowing that strangers now know your name.

Yeah, it's fun to play together with guildmates for 6 years then cancel your account over night because they might know your real name.

:winky:

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm on my AH character and I decide one Tuesday to completely crash the flask market. Someone on the server sees this and takes offense. They then use one or more various in-game scripts to obtain some of my personal info, which they then use to harass myself and my family in various ways. I have an 18 month old and my wife is pregnant. They don't need to deal with this and I don't want them dealing with it; especially if I'm away on a work trip (which used to happen a lot more often than it does now).

How exactly? You need to have a mod that would broadcast such information. Essentially, you have to hold the door open for them. You realize that right? They can't just look it up when they feel like it.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm happy to see Blizz recanted on the forum gestapo stuff, but I'm still not resubbing unless they make the in game RealID into a unique identifier instead of our actual email addresses and names.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dac wrote: »

Which some people get through escapism.

Seriously, you're just being a goose deliberately at this point.

And some people don't need escapism

I called koro out on a bullshit blanket statement. If he had qualified it with some people to begin with, I wouldn't have done it. I'm sure it's what he meant, regardless, but since we're talking about how people use the internet, it mattered enough in my eyes to point out.

There's people on this forum who don't give a fuck if other forumers know them by name. Nobody here gets to make the claim that our whole community wants this or that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm happy to see Blizz recanted on the forum gestapo stuff, but I'm still not resubbing unless they make the in game RealID into a unique identifier instead of our actual email addresses and names.

Wow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Henroid is thinking that we're opposed to the realID system. We're not. We're opposed to, like I said earlier, the huge, glaring, burn-your-corneas-out issue that's using your real name for the system instead of a global handle.

Hell, I'm just waiting for them to make a stand-alone client so I don't have to log on to see if my friends are playing.

Echo on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For the RealID they should let you pick a main, and keep a history of it. Then only let you change once every six months (because once you pick a main, no one can ever use that name even if you delete it, and to keep the history list short).
    They could display like:
    Taka.Tanaris
    And when I change it:
    Virtus.Ravencrest
    Taka.Tanaris
    so you can see the last main as well (but after that you have to go to look at history).

jackal on
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm fairly certain that escapism "the avoidance of reality by absorption of the mind in entertainment or in an imaginative situation, activity, etc." is the reason that you see character names, not unlike the handles used on this forum, as opposed to the "Stacey from Accounting" mentioned earlier.

mturalon on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid, the problem is that RealID wants to do it for everyone as a blanket thing. If it didn't, this thread and discussion wouldn't exist.

Astale on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »

Yeah, it's fun to play together with guildmates for 6 years then cancel your account over night because they might know your real name.

Huh what.

What people were upset about primarily was the forum thing.

People still don't like the friends-of-friends seeing your real name because that's essentially beyond your managing capacity (unless you want to tell your friends to un-friend someone), but I haven't seen many (or any) threats to cancel accounts over the friend stuff in this thread.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid since you were too lazy to pull it up even though I told you it was ten pages back here it is.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I called koro out on a bullshit blanket statement. If he had qualified it with some people to begin with, I wouldn't have done it. I'm sure it's what he meant, regardless, but since we're talking about how people use the internet, it mattered enough in my eyes to point out.

There's people on this forum who don't give a fuck if other forumers know them by name. Nobody here gets to make the claim that our whole community wants this or that.

99% of the people on WoW don't need escapsim considering they have the expendable cash for a gaming computer and a subscription based game, as well as a generous workweek that lets them play it.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is, at best, a repositioning. Blizzard found themselves at a stalemate with their customers and realized RealID forum identification was a bad idea when the entire community exploded and people started finding very creepy shit about their employees.

But this is not over. Obviously the social networking aspect isn't going away. And the "at this time" language in that blue post suggests that Blizzard is going to come back to this in some fashion. It's not going away, and anyone who thinks that we have won ourselves something is not reading between the lines--heck, not reading the actual statement!

I am extremely skeptical about Blizzard games going forward, because it's clear at this point that Blizzard no longer exists. There is Activision, and the Blizzard brand. Blizzard was the business that had my faith and loyalty. Activision has none of that and never has. If this kind of fiasco is the norm, it likely never will.

It's worse than that.

Blizzard hates this. I have no doubt at all they do. They can see this is a stupid clusterfuck being shoved down their throats. They have to.

But Activision has positioned themselves so Blizzard is their bitch. This was supposed to be ok, Activision being experienced at this sort of thing.

But then it turns out that Activision is ran by a sadistic fuckwit who sees his customers less as people enjoying a video game, and more of a "resource".

They also see Blizzard as a resource to be used up and then tossed away when they're not needed anymore. Will gamers be mad about RealID? Probably, but that's ok, let Blizzard tell them (those idiot gamers LIKE Blizzard!) and take the heat, and afterwards after everyone calms down, they'll like Blizzard again. Maybe not as much, but oh well, by then RealID and Battle.Net 2.0 will be "successful", and then it doesn't matter.

This shit is all Bobby and Activision. Not Blizzard. Blizzard is the bitch, and Bobby's using their goodwill amongst the gamer community as a resource.

KiTA on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

icon_rolleyes.gif

Sweet troll bro.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Henroid is thinking that we're opposed to the realID system. We're not. We're opposed to, like I said earlier, the huge, glaring, burn-your-corneas-out issue that's using your real name for the system instead of a global handle.

Hell, I'm just waiting for them to make a stand-alone client so I don't have to log on to see if my friends are playing.

Or so that in WoW that you're considered "Online" while switching characters. This will bank on a steam like system in the future though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Huh what.

People still don't like the friends-of-friends seeing your real name because that's essentially beyond your managing capacity (unless you want to tell your friends to un-friend someone), but I haven't seen many (or any) threats to cancel accounts over the friend stuff in this thread.

There were plenty of links in this post to gaming blogs with letters to blizzard, etc etc in which the authors begged to have the forum thing reversed because all of their friends were quitting.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Or just, you know, don't use the RealID system.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

99% of the people on WoW don't need escapsim considering they have the expendable cash for a gaming computer and a subscription based game, as well as a generous workweek that lets them play it.

Money = happiness, huh?

reVerse on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    For the RealID they should let you pick a main, and keep a history of it. Then only let you change once every six months (because once you pick a main, no one can ever use that name even if you delete it, and to keep the history list short).
    They could display like:
    Taka.Tanaris
    And when I change it:
    Virtus.Ravencrest
    Taka.Tanaris
    so you can see the last main as well (but after that you have to go to look at history).

Or, you just pick a global handle and it would always be under whatever character you post under.
    Taka
    Tanaris
    Jackal

With a wonderful link to all your other characters.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Henroid, the problem is that RealID wants to do it for everyone as a blanket thing. If it didn't, this thread and discussion wouldn't exist.

You can disable Real ID so no, it doesn't want to do it for everyone.

The forum name displaying was operating in that manner, but you don't have to actually post on the official forum (not that it's worth it anyhow).

When Blizzard has operatives sitting in your home with a fucking gun to your head, and I'm speaking in a literal sense, please let me know.

There's a difference between having issues with something and then leaping to these fucking positions some of you guys are.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Well, if I wanted to watch TV, I don't need my mom, my sister, my friends, and everyone they know to know what the fuck I'm watching. You're being dense.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Huh what.

There were plenty of links in this post to gaming blogs with letters to blizzard, etc etc in which the authors begged to have the forum thing reversed because all of their friends were quitting.

That's the forum thing and the results of it.

We were discussing the friend thing.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Everquest did this 11 years ago with EQ IM, I don't know why WoW can't do it. It was a stand alone client that let you join the normal chat channels like auction, 1-9, guild, as well as custom channels. You also had a friends list pop out like in AIM and you could send IMs. It was super awesome and that would be way better than RealID.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Anarchy Online had an external chat client as well.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Everquest did this 11 years ago with EQ IM, I don't know why WoW can't do it. It was a stand alone client that let you join the normal chat channels like auction, 1-9, guild, as well as custom channels. You also had a friends list pop out like in AIM and you could send IMs. It was super awesome and that would be way better than RealID.

But it wouldn't make Bobby and Activision money, so it will never happen.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

Or just, you know, don't use the RealID system.

I can't use RealID if the subscription is canceled. I thought I covered that.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The forum name displaying was operating in that manner, but you don't have to actually post on the official forum (not that it's worth it anyhow).

When Blizzard has operatives sitting in your home with a fucking gun to your head, and I'm speaking in a literal sense, please let me know.

There's a difference between having issues with something and then leaping to these fucking positions some of you guys are.

You're being really short-sighted if you don't believe someone like Kotick sees the ulterior motives to having your real name and social networking being linked to your accounts with them.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Henroid since you were too lazy to pull it up even though I told you it was ten pages back here it is.

The entire industry has been moving toward monetizing whatever they can with video games. It's not just Activision or Blizzard doing this. There's pretty much good odds Blizzard would've done plenty of that shit on their own.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The entire industry has been moving toward monetizing whatever they can with video games. It's not just Activision or Blizzard doing this. There's pretty much good odds Blizzard would've done plenty of that shit on their own.

That's a big assumption, where are the signs?

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Which wasn't the argument, but good attempt at trying to sidetrack.

Dac on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You're being really short-sighted if you don't believe someone like Kotick sees the ulterior motives to having your real name and social networking being linked to your accounts with them.

And your being short sighted if you actually believed giving that information to anyone on the internet for free the first time someone posted was their master plan.

I'm not going to pretend I know their motives because I have no idea.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The easiest way to prevent this is to stay off facebook/mybook/twitterbook. Facebook is so bad for anyone that cares about their personal privacy no matter how "locked" their account is. There is a friend of your friend of your friend that has open account with pictures/info of you or your spouse or your kids, etc etc. All of the stuff done to show how dangerous "realID" will be was actually largely in part because those people all had open Facebooks or were friends/spouses of people with open Facebooks.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

:^:

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have a good idea where this was going. Why? Because they announced on their corporate website the merger of Battle.Net with facebook. The "On the forums" approach was a hamfisted attempt to curtail trolling (a bad one at that) but, more importantly, it stinks of the whole viral approach facebook takes to online identification of people and their staunch opposition to virtual and assumed identities.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Eh, stuff like EA's project $10 (which isn't a bad thing, unless you always buy used games I guess), THQ (I think it was THQ) copying that plan but only for $5 (and there's other developers doing it, I'd have to track down that list), the micro-transaction market is starting to bloom up in MMO (I think DDO made the first successful case for it that didn't make it seem abusive, so now you've got like FFXIV working on a similar system), etc.

It's just the way the world operates. But anyway.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid, if you seriously think that things aren't intrusive until they have people physically sitting in your living room holding a gun to your head, I've got about five business major friends who would love to get to know you very well.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

And your being short sighted if you actually believed giving that information to anyone on the internet for free the first time someone posted was their master plan.

I'm not going to pretend I know their motives because I have no idea.

No, the idea is to implement it in stages so that people become comfortable with associating their game selves with their real selves. It begins with forums then becomes more widespread, associating characters, linking you across multiple games, etc.

Then once the system is linked you have 11 million people with their likes and interests to sell to ad companies. It's facebook but with an audience that loves spending money.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    All of the stuff done to show how dangerous "realID" will be was actually largely in part because those people all had open Facebooks or were friends/spouses of people with open Facebooks.

RealID, however, being that first vector of information.

The more information you have, the more information you can search for.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Eh, stuff like EA's project $10 (which isn't a bad thing, unless you always buy used games I guess), THQ (I think it was THQ) copying that plan but only for $5 (and there's other developers doing it, I'd have to track down that list), the micro-transaction market is starting to bloom up in MMO (I think DDO made the first successful case for it that didn't make it seem abusive, so now you've got like FFXIV working on a similar system), etc.

It's just the way the world operates. But anyway.

talking about this part
    There's pretty much good odds Blizzard would've done plenty of that shit on their own.

but nice try

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Which wasn't the argument, but good attempt at trying to sidetrack.

It's not the argument, but it's the evidence to the argument. And the evidence has another explanation, which is what I pointed out above.

Blizzard having monetary plans could be just the industry itself in general moving that way, as I've suggested, or it could actually be Activision's meddling. We'll never know for sure until some higher-up or another explicitly says, "This decision came from Activision" or the board of directors.

The reality is all we can do is guess. You guys see Activision's meddling as being the answer, I see the industry having more opportunity to make money in general as being the answer.

Henroid on