As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It seems that if you have a CB vs the war leader, you also get that CB effectively against the other members

• Options
    Also, the fabricate claims spy mission is utterly ridiculous. After I wrote a program to search for eligible countries because manually looking sucks

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It really does, and for those of us who refuse to fight an unjustified war (granted... lots of unjustified peace), that sucks. I'm running out of heretics to declare war on and don't have Revolution/Counter-Revolution yet! There are two provinces in the Pyrenees driving me completely nuts as I own NE Spain now too.

Also:

f4it90.png

Sorry that's blurry, but that event might spread a little too fast and I have a TON of Textile Manufacturies. And Universities. And what not.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Yes that is probably a bit too fast, particularly for 1741. I should see if fractions work for tech bonuses as well; an expansive empire could probably get far more than that. 0.50 is probably more reasonable than 2. I can add that to the Republican non-LP Vermandois, government fix, Trevithick engine spread and other things I see. Although it's good to know I don't need to add an owner scope for the steam engine in mines event.

Now I am also imagining Phyphor owning every minable province in the world and laughing manically as production tech zooms to modern levels by 1720.

If you manage to get to the 1820s you should let me know if your tech is too advanced and you run out of techs to research and it crashes. That used to be a problem. They added in a bunch of additional techs that go up to the 1880s (so they research really slowly), but it might still happen. I can throw in a few more generic tech levels to prevent it if necessary.

(Or if you'd like I can devote my Sunday to fixing those missing/weird event problems so you can continue (or backtrack a few years) with an updated version.)

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Huh. So the Iberian countries start getting colonists from the start. No wonder they always get the first few places colonized before I can

edit: Also, 72 provinces at 1479, have all of scandinavia in a PU as well as 7 province lithuania. So it might happen. I'm basically constantly overextended at this point

Phyphor on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hi all - starkiller pm'd me that I'm next in line to the throne, but I'm going to have to hold off for the moment. Getting married in a month and free time is hard to come by right now. Major shenanigans should be over in mid-september and I'll happily hop back in the queue at that point. So best of luck to whoever is next and I'll hopefully be ready to go a little later in the batting order. Vive le Vermandois...

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Should be schuss then.

• Options
    The world in 1500

PUs with: Norway, Svealand, Lithuania, and soon to be Castille

• Options
    Zealot. You're considerably more imperialistic than I am. I was very much focused from the start of the game on forming The Frankish Empire and ignored pretty much everything else. But seriously, those poor, poor Muslims.

Going to go for WC? Because it seems like you could fairly easily there.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Trying to yeah, the increased infamy might make it hard (which is why I'm going PU crazy in europe)

edit: Also, yes, that is the Scottish Union

Phyphor on
  • Options
    At some point I think you just start ignoring infamy, turn on Republic (though Rex's events will flip you back every now and then) so the hit on legitimacy doesn't matter and go nuts. I was a Republic for about 40 years in my game (from the moment I formed the Empire to when I had the event fire) and then never switched back when Rex made me a king again. I also enjoyed that the kid I found in some reeds ruled for like 50 years. Moses!

• Options
    Well, ignoring infamy is difficult, you start getting +15% RR province events firing and there's a global +10% RR modifier Rex added I think, so that's more rebels than I want to deal with (last 50 years though infamy is getting ignored yeah). Republics are good because they have a much higher average dip score.

For infamy burning, you have 0.6 avg ruler + 0.75 advisors + 0.05 monument + 1-1.5 (once Europe is destroyed) cardinals + 1 from cabinet = around 4 towards the end of the game. Mid game though, I'm not sure what CBs a republic can use. Once you hit 1650 holy war & excommunication stops. Nationalism might get me a few. Revolutionary wars are too late (post 1700) and the imperial ban is unreliable at best. Which just leaves Imperialism, requiring a monarchy

• Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    Sent a note to him. Will let you know if I hear anything.

• Options
    So, are you supposed to be able to force a union on a country that's already leading one? Because theoretically I could have Norway inherit Castille and then inherit Norway myself now. Which would be kind of awesome and give me a ton more African/New World possessions all of a sudden. Plus might let me complete my conquest of Spain. Only sixty years left I don't think I'll manage it oh no!

• Options
    I don't think so, but if you've already started the war it might let you finish

• Options
    Have not yet heard back from him. Just dropping a note to mention I checked.

• Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    I think I might be next after him, so if he doesn't get back to you after a little while I can take my turn. I should be able to get through mine pretty quickly too, just finished my summer classes last week and fall semester doesn't start for almost another month, so I have a lot more free time than usual at the moment.

• Options
    PM me your email address and I'll send the files over. Then I'll announce whether or not he's contacted me by Friday morning.

• Options
    I am going to be out of town until next Tuesday, so if you guys change the order it won't be reflected until then.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    erm so as someone new to EU3. how do you colonise places? Do you just land an army with a conquistador on a newly discovered land and then wait? because I can't seem to find the "set up a colony" button. All I can find online is that I have to keep sending colonists to a colony till there is 1000 guys there and then its self sufficent but I cant set-up the actual colony.
    If it helps im England and trying to colonise the Azores so I have a stepping stone to North America.
    Edit: nevermind I figured it out. keep up the good thread its been great to read!

GaryO on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    GaryO wrote:
    erm so as someone new to EU3. how do you colonise places? Do you just land an army with a conquistador on a newly discovered land and then wait? because I can't seem to find the "set up a colony" button. All I can find online is that I have to keep sending colonists to a colony till there is 1000 guys there and then its self sufficent but I cant set-up the actual colony.
    If it helps im England and trying to colonise the Azores so I have a stepping stone to North America.
    Edit: nevermind I figured it out. keep up the good thread its been great to read!

Yeah, and after you get the Azores, you'll want to wait for 50 years or so, until it becomes a core province. That'll extend your colonization range closer to the Americas, and you might be able to reach them by then if your research is fast enough.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    You can always go through Greenland as well. But yeah, to get the useful places you'll have to wait to core The Azores.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Also, since Paradox stuff is on sale in Steam, I'd like to ask some opinions on Viccy 1 and 2, which one worth buying(more, that is), and whether EU Rome is worth it? People in the Steam thread and Paradox thread are very quiet about these games.

• Options
    I haven't played it but the general feeling is that EU Rome is not worth it. Vicky is if you like ridiculously detailed economic/population simulators with some diplomacy/war thrown in for taste. I like Vicky 1, especially with VIP, but haven't gotten to play with the full version of Vicky 2 ever. I've heard it's very much broken unless it has been patched or modded into something useful. Our plan for this here thread is still to use Vicky 1.

Also, I am a genius and left my wallet in a cab: thus, forum.

• Options
    I started playing a Karelia game. Things are going well now that I'm past the first few decades. It's pretty brutal at first, I had three wars going at once at one point from a bunch of Orthodox powers all declaring a holy war on me. I managed to vassalize a few of the ones on my borders, though, which has made things much, much smoother now.

I feel terrible for poor old Vermandois, though. Every once in awhile I check to see what's happening in Europe, and it's getting eaten alive... Lost about half its territory, in dead last place on the tech levels in almost everything, -99% prestige, -2 stability...

• Options
    The AI cheats so much. 55k vs 30k and I have better generals? Well of course I lose

• Options
    Phyphor wrote:
    The AI cheats so much. 55k vs 30k and I have better generals? Well of course I lose

The Swiss provinces (and Austrian alpine provinces) are brutal against attackers. Unfortunately the AI incompetently leaves those lands and goes out to attack their aggressors and loses the hefty defense bonus. Of course, it could just be poor rolls instead of the terrain modifier; I feel like dice rolls in EU3 are always stacked against me. 2 units ahead in tech and fighting on plains against an un-led army of equal size and you'll still lose a significant portion of the time.

• Options
    This is with no modifiers though! (Southern England. The Scottish Union took quest as a third idea. That cannot be allowed)

• Options
    Was it upon landing? You lose a fair amount for naval invasions, plus dudes lose morale while on ships.

• Options
    So I got a message from Shulz...sending the files over now.

• Options
    Was it upon landing? You lose a fair amount for naval invasions, plus dudes lose morale while on ships.

During (one of many) naval invasions, yes. However I assaulted a province on landing and had a couple months to regain morale. The english channel takes < 10 game days to cross so it shouldn't be that bad. Plus I don't think attrition occurs if you put troops in a province via docking there

• Options
    Okay, after 10 years, hundreds of thousands of dead troops and at least 4 failed invasions, I forced the SU to release England who I then promptly PUed (as they get generated with really low legitimacy) now giving me: Castille, England, Egypt, Norway, Svealand, Lithuania. All allied to me. Then I excommunicated the SU and they're dead in 4 years.

Silly AI taking QftNW!

• Options
    Haven't actually read it yet, but the person who is the very best at these has just started another traditional one instead of his weird foray into EU: Rome democracy game. Wiz is playing as Azerbaijan this time.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote:
    Okay, after 10 years, hundreds of thousands of dead troops and at least 4 failed invasions, I forced the SU to release England who I then promptly PUed (as they get generated with really low legitimacy) now giving me: Castille, England, Egypt, Norway, Svealand, Lithuania. All allied to me. Then I excommunicated the SU and they're dead in 4 years.

Silly AI taking QftNW!

I initially read SU as Soviet Union. And now I am imagining the Soviets from the 1940s invading Europe with tanks and motorized infantry while the rest of the world tries to hold them off with curaissers, pikemen, and cannons.

• Options
    EU3_MAP_BUR_1550.jpg

• Options
    Consolidate France, you slacker.

• Options
    Aquitaine is surprisingly difficult to excommunicate!

• Options
    I think I crushed them with guarantees. Had a claim on one of their things, took it and made them release like Toulouse, guaranteed it, etc. Granted that doesn't entirely work with a WC as it requires more annexations.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Oh I could get into a war with them easily, but 5-8 infamy per province is steep

edit: 1 stability is also 6 years!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Checking in on Europe in my Karelia game, somehow a Vermandois dynasty king is now in charge of Aquitaine, while a non-Vermandois is in charge of Vermandois. Very odd.

Ming has a 9-9-9 stat Empress, I've never actually noticed a ruler with stats that high before. Her heir is a 3-4-3 dunce though.

It's like 1540 and no one has colonized anything yet, and no one has QftNW. Europe is just an utter mess, no one is really becoming a dominant power at all. Milan is actually doing the best probably, one core away from forming Italy. The further east you move, the more you get decent sized nations forming, but western Europe is just a sea of tiny one to three province nations, no one really getting the upper hand. Much different than my previous games, where a few nations became dominant pretty early on and did a good job staying intact and expanding. Even the British Isles and Iberia are a total mess.