As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Morocco was doing quite well in the succession game until that whole crusade thing brought Leon and us down on them. They had everything over to Tripoli (and I'm pretty sure Holland stole the Canaries from them). They're also almost always on good terms with Zenata, so there's a good chance they get some big name back-up on demand.

I could conceivably see the pope growing worried about an expansive, strengthening Muslim power so close to Italy and plotting some rationale to proclaim a crusade against them. They were a mere impulse away from stepping foot on Sicily for the first time in 200 years.

It'll be up to Zenata to win Morocco back.

President Rex on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ooh, the AI also formed Sweden. Good job AI! Aquitaine was going to form Occitania (just needed cores) before I kicked excommunicated them and kicked their ass four or five times.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Happy birthday thread! Now you are one. Who's still reading?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I am! :D

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    When I remember!

• Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    I still am.

And to think, I was worried my turn would come up before last semester ended and I wouldn't have time to play. Now I'm kind of aiming for a turn during winter break. :)

• Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    I read the thread, even though I hardly ever post in it.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I'm still around, thinking of starting up a fresh game and seeing how well I can do with the increased infamy amounts. I wonder if I'd finish before the LP...

• Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    Haven't had a chance to play as much as I'd like, I apologize for that, I have a couple of releases going out this month and things have been hectic...and I moved as I mentioned before. But I'm up to a national idea and I don't think our previous votes cover mine. We also have a problem in that the loss of Flanders has cut off colonization. So, even though there was a big push for such ideas, they are a waste. I'm personally interested in the ever worth while national bank or the one that gives you missionaries (can't remember the name right now). We have a Reformed problem that I'd like to get rid of but the early push for innovation over narrowmindedness has caused reformation problems. Report 2 coming now.

• Options
    Wait... we have no core ports? D:

• Options
    We have a core port (got trapped in a meeting so still working on the post) in Calais. However none of them are connected to our capital...

• Options
    We have found some good in the current years. However I still bumble much. First the locals in Metz have finally accepted our rule.
    eu31i.png

As our colonists are currently blocked by the rebels in Flanders additional changes to the cabinet are necessary. Given my father's proclivities and the upset that they caused Europe I hire Monsieur de Borgiose to assist in our diplomatic efforts. Together with Msr Rottenburg they make excellent progress on the diplomatic front. I use this in my continuing campaign to unseat Austria in the Emperial Diet.

eu32b.png

These years are brutal on our holdings in the New World. We can not support the colonists. We are limited in troop movements. And then malaria begins to strike.

eu33j.png
    eu34u.png
    eu35k.png

Early in the Year of Our Lord 1516 Castille involves itself in a war with the Emperor. This is good news as it drags in most of the allies of Flanders. We are still to week to attack Flanders but We greet this as wonderful news. Also, it stands to halt the spread of Castille into Leon. We are troubled that we are happy a Catholic power is suffering at the hands of reformed Leon.

eu36f.png

Even better news arrives in September. The Catalians were former allies and had fought with us against Leon. Now they have accepted (by the Grace of God) a white peace which is wonderful news. They are also one of the few mid tier powers in Europe that has a positive relationship with us.

eu37t.png

Then in October our persistence in Africa, to the Chagrin of our cousins (ED: I'm not a fan of Egypt getting a different dynastic name as that modifies the EUIII mechanics. They SHOULD be more inclined to marry us and they aren't), are now recognized by the rest of Europe.

eu38.th.png

The reformation continues to be a problem however and this will make wars more difficult as rebels are wont to spring from uncertain religions. This will also make stabalizing the country in the face of certain Acts of God very difficult.

eu39b.png
    eu310.png
    eu311.png

In mid-1517 the other ally of Flanders, Brandenburg, involves itself in a war against the empire. However, I still feel too cautious to attack because of the people's weariness from the last war.

eu312.png

And our cousins get their revenge by gaining greater influence in Italy.

eu313.png

As part of Our policy of re-establishing our diplomatic bona-fides We have extended our protection to various French minors and Imperial Electors. Normandie invades Maine, which we have offered protection. Various minor leap to the defense of Maine and Normandy wisely takes them out of the war. However, once it has been stripped of cache and provinces we vassalize it before Maine has the chance. The small bump in ill-will will be taken care of by the diplomatic corps.

eu314j.png
    eu316o.png

Finland annexing anything is a shock (its kind of like Canada declaring they've annexed New York...). The rebels are not.

eu315t.png

Brittan's tendrils in Europe concern Us.

eu317m.png

The northern Italian states have shifted. Milan may be a useful ally against Egypt's holdings in the future. We have not yet developed that relationship. Romanga (purple) is becoming more friendly. We may be able to eject our cousins from Europe eventually

eu318e.png

We missed the reason why but our cousins do not fail to disappoint. They are looking to much to Europe and not to the Mohammedan hordes on their border.

eu319d.png

An elector now favors us! This is wonderful news. We started with miserable relations at the beginning of our reign (ED: -200 across the board...). Now a few send us letters and one supports us!

eu320.png

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    That's a pretty dramatic turnaround in diplomacy. Good job.

• Options
    That is... pretty weak Imperial support. Only 3/7 votes. Good old Brandenburg & Bohemia always wanting to be emperor.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    We do still seem to be doing quite nicely in trade. And good to see workshops still being built though it seems we have an oustanding loan? What's the budget/inflation look like? And considering our lack of missionaries and the effectiveness of the Reformation in this Europe, we might want to reconsider our ideas votes? Either Bill of Rights or the one that increases tolerance of heretics. I think a new NI should become available relatively soon, no?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes. Either Ecumenism (+2 tolerance heretics) or Divine Supremacy (+0.5 missionaries / year) and a bunch of religious decisions to get a positive net value

edit: These don't include Rex's changes, just the standard effects

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Rex versions: Ecumenism is +3 tolerance of heretics, -5% stability costs, -2.5% papal influence
    Divine Supremacy is +.5 missionaries, +7.5% papal influence, gives "Holy War" casus belli on non-Christians, and decreases the chance of further spread of the Reformation
    Humanist tolerance is +2 tolerance of heathens, -.5% revolt risk, -5% papal influence, and enables a bunch of religion changing events
    Then there's Bill of Rights which lowers revolt risk by 1.5%, -5% to stability costs, and gives us a free liberation casus belli on anyone with a vassal.

Those, I think, are the relevant ones.

• Options
    Humanist tolerance is... pretty terrible. I took it once and then edited the save a few months later to get rid of it

• Options
    Divine Supremacy is my vote. The Imperial throne is within swatting distance if I play my cards right and I'd rather have a religiously uniform country. Especially because it _really_ slows up the colonialism. I don't remember how much we owe but I believe its in the 1000 ducats range. The treasury is not well off and inflation (due to my current taxation policies) will likely start to hurt soon. I'm trying to fix that, and hopefully will hand off a better country than what I started with. Right now my goals are:
    1.) Better universal relations
    2.) At least two imperial votes
    3.) A royal marriage with Egypt (for RP reasons)
    4.) A reconquest of our lost cores.
    5.) Holding Castille and England in check.

In more or less that order.

• Options
    BTW Rex, I really like the mods to those. Have you posted back to PP about them? Or do they become redundant in DW?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I should point out that humanist tolerance can also help pop some of the enlightened monarchy government events and enable some decisions for us earlier. In most cases ecumenism also gets a time bonus, but it is smaller. But unless we plan on keeping some animists in Mexico or something it never makes much sense to have much of your country heathens. I'd be all for Divine Supremacy. We've been Catholic for 450 years, why stop now?

(Catholicism is also the best choice if we want to colonize a bunch of stuff, but Protestantism would probably help our financial situation more in the short term)

Also happy birthday to this thread and me.

I haven't posted the mod anywhere on the paradox forums. I don't have DW (mostly to avoid messing up the mod), but I know it adds some new things that would make transferring the mod over a bit challenging. But most of the country files and such are independent, so copying and pasting most of the mod wouldn't be too difficult.

I also made Egypt a different dynasty to limit our diplomatic power (150 years later that might have been a bit overkill, but we'll see). We already had the largest dynastic spread by far (much of it into Spain). I also figured it would represent Egypt better with the long-term separation from mainland Europe (and closer ties between Crusader kingdoms).

[edit]Also, how is our Aztec Empire faring? It doesn't look like it will be doing that well.[/edit]

President Rex on
  • Options
    I haven't messed with them. I was worried about war exhaustion.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Also happy birthday to this thread and me.

Wait, seriously? I didn't mention it earlier, but it is my birthday as well. Yes, I started this silliness on my birthday. I am just that cool.

As for the HRE, I prefer the vassalizing electors method of becoming emperor to the whole diplomacy silliness.

Oh, and I vote for Bill of Rights because I continue to be striving for a tolerant, egalitarian government here.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Divine Supremacy!

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    We must look to God to guide Vermandois back to the prominence it deserves. Divine Supremacy it is!

Also, happy birthday to the two godfathers of the empire...

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    I'm with enlightenedbum on wanting the tolerant government, so voting for the underdog Bill of Rights.

• Options
    Rex, did you buff the frequency of the Reformation events in one of the latest patches? It seems way more robust. I may have to convert to Protestantism at some point here.

Also: stupid challenge. Reforge Charlemagne's empire without adopting military drill. I'm mostly there. Just need to conquer Munster, two of the provinces in the south of France, and annex some vassals/de-vassalize and invade.

• Options
    I haven't touched reformation-related stuff recenty. The only change I recall off-hand is that it's more likely to start in Northern Europe (and less likely to spread in Latin/Iberian cultural areas). Sometimes the event generator just manages to make things happen at ...interesting times.

• Options
    The entirety of the south of France and the Low Countries are Protestant, combined with some massive war exhaustion I just got for defending some HRE peoples from Prussia, AND some stability hits, AND my current king being an infant of dubious heritage I'm in the middle of interesting times. Also, Morocco just successfully invaded British Ireland and has now conquered North Africa clear across to the Nile. Currently occupying Alexandria but I don't think they can get at some far flung Egyptian province for the annex.

• Options
    Rex, did you buff the frequency of the Reformation events in one of the latest patches? It seems way more robust. I may have to convert to Protestantism at some point here.

Also: stupid challenge. Reforge Charlemagne's empire without adopting military drill. I'm mostly there. Just need to conquer Munster, two of the provinces in the south of France, and annex some vassals/de-vassalize and invade.

I actually almost never take military drill these days so I'll do that in my game

• Options
    edited July 2011
    For God and Country:
    Starkiller, Phylor, Elvanshea, Rex, Shalmelo

Pussies (synonym for silly goose):
    Enlightenedbum, Lachrymite

We win. We always do. I'll be playing with the new idea in hopefully a few minutes...

starkiller on
  • Options

Phyphor wrote:

I actually almost never take military drill these days so I'll do that in my game

I'll post a screen shot when I do it, but I've got all the stuff now, just need my 8 ADM heir to take power. In the 1590s, so fairly slow. There's a LOT to take though!

• Options
    11he1ck.png

Victory in 1597! Minor issue though: are the Germans/Italians obnoxiously sexist? I think that's why I couldn't get re-elected HRE and while my queen was ruling Austria managed to make it hereditary. Which I suppose makes for more of a challenge.

The world map is too big for h-scroll so I'll just link it. Morocco's still going strong, has QftNW and has seized Alexandria. Iberia is a mess with Catalunya probably being the most powerful nation. Karelia is still Sami, last I checked and remains dominant. The Byzantines happily took over most of the Middle East and now I have cores everywhere. Mwahahaha.

Also I cheated after my 8 ADM heir died in a hunting accident and became a Republic to get someone useful as my leader to re-form the Frankish Empire.

• Options
    That's pretty quick, did you ever go over the infamy limit?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Nope! I diplo annexed a LOT of stuff so my centralization score always sucked, got a few convenient casus belli, annexed some people in peace deals with their overlords which counts less, that kind of thing.

EDIT: Oh right, I was running a 5/6 star diplomat almost the entirety of the two centuries, sometimes more than one. So that helped and I had pretty good luck with diplomacy stats from our rulers.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Nice! I think that's faster than I managed to form it in the beta

• Options
    I'm also locked at 100 prestige, which is always nice. I'd be totally unstoppable if I were still the emperor (once I built a fleet for knocking the English around).

• Options
    I'm sure you'll have a few uncaptured cores bringing down your prestige, which you'll probably want to address.

Also if you're going to continue that for another century or two I could use some feedback on the technology events (and we can always use some more late game colonization samples to lead some countries to independence before Vicky). Although at 1597 the only one you'll have had any chance of seeing is the Promissory Note one and you'd have to be really lucky). You are a mere 50 years from the potential for air pumps and banks' on-the-books money.

Also I think I've read somewhere that the Emperor needs to be male, so it's quite possible your queen (like a regency council is supposed to) makes you ineligible for the emperorship.

• Options
    That was my assumption, as I was emperor immediately before and had 6/7 votes when Austria suddenly became Emperor and I was ineligible. And yeah I have a ton of wars with Austria to right to acquire all my land. I've seen messages about other countries getting Promissory Notes for a while now, maybe 20-30 years? Mostly Italian and Scandinavian, if that matters.

• Options
    If you're using the latest patch the electors will tell you why they are voting they way they are