Options

[Chat]tack Dog

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    arch seriously thinks he can take a dog a la _J_?

yes
    no
    a stray dog yes a trained attack dog no.

Arch on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh good, DS9 is on and it's a Mirror Universe episode.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I tried the City of Heros trial about a year ago. I think maybe that's the kind of game that is better appreciated by people who played it when it was newer. I couldn't really get into it.

the game is constantly improving and innovating

it is, thus far, the only MMORPG that lets you create your own missions, enemies, and story arcs for example

and the new Praetorian content allows you to make choices based on how you want to roleplay your character, with branching storylines and alignment shifts and shit

old hat for single-player RPGs, but for a MMORPG that's pretty brave.

Maybe I just had the wrong introduction. For me it was a clunky playing experience with that whole transparent "UPGRADE NOW" or whatever window being in the way of everything and no friends to really get me into it. Maybe if I played with friends and/or went with the game proper I'd feel differently.

And lord knows I'm not exactly a fan of Cryptic Studios.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Yes I really believe in a vast furry conspiracy.

Haha.

You think there's only one.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i hate "RPers" in MMORPGs

the fuckers who sit around in the in-game bar "roleplaying" and by that i mean

cybering, and having circle-jerks about their backstories

City of Heroes' RP community is the worst.

roleplaying in a vidya game should be shit like branching stories and dialogue choices. when you're like "no, i choose not to take the bribe from this Syndicate and instead to bring him in" because you are a Loyalist and believe in Emperor Cole

that's roleplaying your dude in the game

sitting around talking about your backstory is shit

Pony on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Yes I really believe in a vast furry conspiracy. There's just as much proof of it as there is of a False Flag conspiracy of 9/11.

So basically it's undeniable, man

Yeah, I agree. I had my eyes opened when I found thermite residue in my dog suit

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    arch seriously thinks he can take a dog a la _J_?

yes
    no
    a stray dog yes a trained attack dog no.

when the dog is biting your face off you should really look inward

maybe if you had protested a little harder for better pro-canine laws the dog wouldn't be out on the streets

really, you're the one to blame for it attacking you

you should just let it eat you because who are you to judge that dog's actions

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

roleplaying in a vidya game should be shit like branching stories and dialogue choices. when you're like "no, i choose not to take the bribe from this Syndicate and instead to bring him in" because you are a Loyalist and believe in Emperor Cole

:?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Should be noted pony that my emoticon there is only directed at the last bit

Arch on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could take on a dog.

You know, an old one. That's a like a chihuahua. And blind.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This is basically my reaction to "hardcore roleplayers" in Dungeons and Dragons.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could take on like 5 gorillas with my bare hands.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    I could take on a dog.

You know, an old one. That's a like a chihuahua. And blind.

One of these days I'm bringing a pack of dogs to PAX and just unleashing them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait but how is your character supposed to make friends if you can't talk to other characters?

Why do you want my superhero to be a loner Pony?

Kagera on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i could easily take on 6 genetically trained supersoldiers with future rifles

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is basically my reaction to "hardcore roleplayers" in Dungeons and Dragons.

The only thing worse is actors roleplaying in films.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

arch explain to me what the appeal is of sitting around the in-game bar/tavern/inn/nightclub and just talking about yourself in-character is

how is that "roleplaying"?

it's fucking boring. you're sitting around talking in-character instead of playing the game.

i don't get it

Pony on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    i could easily take on 6 genetically trained supersoldiers with future rifles

Mikeman is a JRPG character

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Wait but how is your character supposed to make friends if you can't talk to other characters?

Why do you want my superhero to be a loner Pony?

kagera you don't ever get anything

you are bad at getting it

Pony on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All MMORPGs are pretty bullshit, nerds chit-chatting in bars about shit their characters haven't actually done in the game ain't gonna change that.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I roleplay in MMORPGs.

And by roleplay, I mean if I'm a pirate then I'll steal your shit.

I have a wife. No need for cyber.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

arch explain to me what the appeal is of sitting around the in-game bar/tavern/inn/nightclub and just talking about yourself in-character is

it's fucking boring. you're sitting around talking in-character instead of playing the game.

i don't get it
    I used to play on an NWN persistent world where some people would insist on walking everywhere, because running everywhere wasn't "in character." As if running in that game wasn't slow enough.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    like imagine playing dungeons & dragons but instead of dungeon-crawling or political intrigue or something

you're sitting around the tavern, rolling to see if you get drunk and asking if there are any girls there because if so, you wanna do them

that is what "RPers" in mmorpgs are like

Pony on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I kind of like Russia Today - their scrolling breaking news bar focuses on stories that are not crime related, unlike Sky. So currently I am learning about the first dogs in space, which were Soviet citizens. Well, maybe not citizens, but still

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited August 2010

i don't get it

You may think it is boring but it is at least roleplaying

Besides its not like that is all I do- but socialization in character with other players is a large part of the roleplaying experience for me, as much as my choices of crafting profession, powers, appearance, and alliances are.

I mean if you don't get it thats fine, and I agree with the whole "ERP" thing, but oh man. Some people like to get into character; and that means discussing their character's past.

Arch on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

eep

s.link REVERSED

(no seriously, I do have one VtM character who basically exists in an alternate dimension from the main continuity, but otherwise I'm not big on backstory as much as immersion in the now)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so much hate for people doing stupid shit to be in character

good ol' lawful stupid ending games left and right

speaking of this, arch, mark really really doesn't like the whole 7 int thing to the point that he's considering giving her 10 int to shut everyone up about that.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    like imagine playing dungeons & dragons but instead of dungeon-crawling or political intrigue or something

you're sitting around the tavern, rolling to see if you get drunk and asking if there are any girls there because if so, you wanna do them

oh cool

for those of you playing "is pony making a horrible generalization to rationalize an extreme position"

the answer is yes

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    so much hate for people doing stupid shit to be in character

good ol' lawful stupid ending games left and right

speaking of this, arch, mark really really doesn't like the whole 7 int thing to the point that he's considering giving her 10 int to shut everyone up about that.

Hrm

She uh. She kinda likes it and it really fits the character she designed.

Considering her paladin is an ignorant religious zealot

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My point is she will continue to be deliberately stupid, even if we bumped her intelligence stat up to 27

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay my characters can't have a backstory because then I might talk about it to some other character in a bar and then well I NEVER!

Kagera on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It would be a better use of their time to try roleplaying that in an actual bar, with actual people.

Like maybe sad nerds would benefit from entering social situations with a different persona in mind. Perhaps they are practicing in the game world.

Get actually drunk or actually laid. Get out of parents basement. Wipe off the cheeto dust and do some shit, 'cause MMORPGs aren't really RPGs when it gets down to it that social interaction pays off better IRL.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

We've done this kind of thing.

No girls doing though, more the sorc getting smashed and summoning a purple worm through the floor of the tavern.

We get kicked (ok, so chased) out of large cities a lot basically.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And for what its worth, I generally don't take my backstory that seriously.

See- My Robo-Ape only talking in variations of "ook" and my Frankenstein-monster (named Frankie) talking like a mobster.

Arch on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Today has been a day ending in y so far.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Today has been a day ending in y so far.

mind. blown.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is a large contingency of LOTRO Roleplayers that walk everywhere, and walk their horses everywhere too. They hardly ever run. It's so infuriating that people insist on playing games wrong.

Ludious on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah that's cool

it's just that we've had enough games ended by someone playing a paladin that did something that wasn't really in character to be "in character". Like when the big bad vampire or lich shows up to make a point or a threat and the paladin goes all out and woops tpk.

she hasn't done anything bad so far, it's just a bad experience deal we've had

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    yeah that's cool

it's just that we've had enough games ended by someone playing a paladin that did something that wasn't really in character to be "in character". Like when the big bad vampire or lich shows up to make a point or a threat and the paladin goes all out and woops tpk.

she hasn't done anything bad so far, it's just a bad experience deal we've had

Wait what does TPK mean

Arch on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We did not see Eat Pray Love.

My mom suggested it, I told her she had discovered the exact point at which gay man and heterosexual woman diverge.

Unfortunately Inception only plays late at night, and our day had been pushed back a bit already so we ended up buying matinee Scott Pilgrim tickets for tomorrow.

It's possible I'll hate it because apparently it's exactly the same as Shaun of the Dead (I really don't believe that by the way) but my mother watched Beverly Hills Chihuahua twice. I'm sure she'll enjoy basically anything.

Regina Fong on
This discussion has been closed.