As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]tack Dog

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, our mans on CO are level 10 (close to 11) and we just exited the Desert Crisis and stopped before starting any of the desert missions.

Millennium City picks up at level 15, not level 10.

My bad, it's been a long time since I've played.

I'll wrap up the crisis next time I get a chance to play.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Dear Customer,

Telling me that you will take your "hundreds of cameras" worth of business elsewhere loses a lot of impact when I've seen blueprints of your facilities and I can't find a place for 70 cameras even at my most paranoid. It loses a lot of impact when I've mapped out camera placement for you and it's 16 cameras. Nor am I amused when you attempt to trick me into disclosing price. I don't have that discussion except in the most general of terms for a reason. And that reason is that I am not someone you're going to use to beat sales up over the pricing.

Thank you.

Every customer thinks they are the most important customer to some extent.

Oddly enough, those that are most firmly convinced of this are typically those that actually provide you with the least business.

Pretty much. There seems to be a inverse relationship between the amount of screaming a customer does and their monetary value to a company. Or why we're extremely willing to fire 16 camera customers and we'll send 4 camera customers to competitors or integrators on our shit list.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All MMORPGs are pretty bullshit, nerds chit-chatting in bars about shit their characters haven't actually done in the game ain't gonna change that.

how is this different than bros getting together to discuss their fantasy football league

Fantasy sports leagues are the worst. At least with a video game you've got something to do/look at. You don't even reenact the game or anything, the fuck is that. And jocks treat it like 'nah it's cool, this ain't nerdy 'causes it's based on that sport I play' and it's like no, fuck you, you are worse than the roleplayers because your game ain't fun and you pretend it's off limits.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I have not yet seen it.
    You should, if only for the hilarious racism and Keanu Reeves.
    Everyone should see Street Kings. It's the best.

Seriously I loved the whole thing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Apparently the guys behind Half Life: Blue Shift and the Brothers in Arms series is finishing Duke Nukem Forever.

They're doomed.

I think any attempt to bring back Duke and play him straight is doomed. His only hope is tongue in cheek stuff like that "Fuck, not another puzzle!" line from that gameplay footage released a while back.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, so what's the RP thing people are discussing? Playing a low int character? That kinda shit can lead to the most fun games.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    All MMORPGs are pretty bullshit, nerds chit-chatting in bars about shit their characters haven't actually done in the game ain't gonna change that.

how is this different than bros getting together to discuss their fantasy football league

less rape and less neckbeards

well

less neckbeards

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I walk around towns in WoW

Arch on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As a former Mu*-er, the [chat] has been a very strange place for the last however many posts.

I never tried rping in WoW though.

But how could two interesting characters talking to each other in a bar not be fun?

Galahad on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Russia Today now has something called "The Keiser Report", which has for today's show the theme of the decline of the American Empire

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reading the LOTRO free to play plan for winter, it seems to be extremely limiting on the "free" part. Indeed, it could be argued there's nothing free about it at all. If you want to actually be able to do anything proper in the game you need to put money into it. Shite to be honest.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Fantasy sports leagues are the worst. At least with a video game you've got something to do/look at. You don't even reenact the game or anything, the fuck is that. And jocks treat it like 'nah it's cool, this ain't nerdy 'causes it's based on that sport I play' and it's like no, fuck you, you are worse than the roleplayers because your game ain't fun and you pretend it's off limits.

Eh, it gives me a reason to care about games I wouldn't normally care about. Also bragging rights in the office is nice.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mu*-er?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This line of conversation is not entertaining. It is the opposite of entertaining.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    I used to play on an NWN persistent world where some people would insist on walking everywhere, because running everywhere wasn't "in character." As if running in that game wasn't slow enough.

I walk a lot in Fallout 3.

Mostly because I'm hauling around 900 pounds of loot.

Echo on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My characters have no backstory. Only a forward story. Of killing.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    city of heroes, of all MMORPGs, actually has the ability to make roleplaying matter

for one thing, there's the dialogue choices, alignment system, and branching storylines of Praetoria, which is determined by what sort of personality your dude has in your head

when you are making a dialogue choice based on what your character would think/do, instead of what you the player might think/do, you are roleplaying that guy.

so i mean in terms of actually roleplaying, Mass Effect has roleplaying. WoW doesn't. CoH, as of Going Rogue, does, so that's pretty cool.

also CoH has the Architect system that lets you create your own storyline, villains, etc.

i ran a "Campaign" in City of Heroes where I made new adventures every week and uploaded them and then my "players" played them and told me how they did, and I responded and expanded the story from there, so I was basically a GM for it.

can't do that in WoW or Champeens, I tellyawhat

Pony on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    like imagine playing dungeons & dragons but instead of dungeon-crawling or political intrigue or something

you're sitting around the tavern, rolling to see if you get drunk and asking if there are any girls there because if so, you wanna do them

that is what "RPers" in mmorpgs are like

It would be a better use of their time to try roleplaying that in an actual bar, with actual people.

Like maybe sad nerds would benefit from entering social situations with a different persona in mind. Perhaps they are practicing in the game world.

Get actually drunk or actually laid. Get out of parents basement. Wipe off the cheeto dust and do some shit, 'cause MMORPGs aren't really RPGs when it gets down to it that social interaction pays off better IRL.

practicing being vampires or furries trying to have sex with neckbearded dudes pretending to be vampire/ furry/ both girls

not really awesome training for the real world fluffy

what if they go to one of those conventions

those cross-dressing vampire furry conventions

dudes will be fucking set

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    As a former Mu*-er, the [chat] has been a very strange place for the last however many posts.

But how could two interesting characters talking to each other in a bar not be fun?

o god

the little bit i've overheard is embarrassing

like real embarrassing

nerds pretending to be elves and talking in imagined high midieval speech

they always end up in the tunnels unequipping their armor pieces

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I used to play on an NWN persistent world where some people would insist on walking everywhere, because running everywhere wasn't "in character." As if running in that game wasn't slow enough.

Encumbrance rules are one of those bits of realism that I will throw out of any PnP or CRPG system if given a chance. I have yet to find a time that they make anything fun for anyone.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and yeah I didn't mean that to say NEVER WALK IN AN MMO RAWR so that was probably a terrible statement to make

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

when you are making a dialogue choice based on what your character would think/do, instead of what you the player might think/do, you are roleplaying that guy.

what if that dialogue choice involves actual spoken or typed dialogue

Arch on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

that show was surprisingly hilarious, I wonder if it was renewed

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    That reminds me. Adult Swim had a pilot for this really awesome barbarian cartoon. Pilot was funny as hell. Never was picked up.

Bummer.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    My characters have no backstory. Only a forward story. Of killing.

Why are they so interested in killing gooey

did they have a traumatic past? were they raised on the streets?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    practicing being vampires or furries trying to have sex with neckbearded dudes pretending to be vampire/ furry/ both girls

not really awesome training for the real world fluffy

what if they go to one of those conventions

those cross-dressing vampire furry conventions

dudes will be fucking set

true that

all deftly navigating the etiquette minefield of suckling on an udder without drawing blood with your vampire fangs

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

I remember in DR, I played a healing class with no combat abilities at all. Most of us tended to gather at the hospital. Much of our RPing consisted of sitting around and being gossipy. Strangely, when I began dealing with nurses a lot, I learned that they do the same thing.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mu*-er?

Mu Mush Muck Mud Moo TinyMu etc etc etc.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    That reminds me. Adult Swim had a pilot for this really awesome barbarian cartoon. Pilot was funny as hell. Never was picked up.

Bummer.

Korgoth, yeah, it was great, it was totally like a 14 year olds D&D fantasy.

When they didn't pick that up and picked up fucking squidbillies instead I wrote off adult swim forever.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And Superjail season 2 needs to hurry the fuck up.

Sheep on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dear Customer,

Telling me that you will take your "hundreds of cameras" worth of business elsewhere loses a lot of impact when I've seen blueprints of your facilities and I can't find a place for 70 cameras even at my most paranoid. It loses a lot of impact when I've mapped out camera placement for you and it's 16 cameras. Nor am I amused when you attempt to trick me into disclosing price. I don't have that discussion except in the most general of terms for a reason. And that reason is that I am not someone you're going to use to beat sales up over the pricing.

Thank you.

Oddly enough, those that are most firmly convinced of this are typically those that actually provide you with the least business.

Pretty much. There seems to be a inverse relationship between the amount of screaming a customer does and their monetary value to a company. Or why we're extremely willing to fire 16 camera customers and we'll send 4 camera customers to competitors or integrators on our shit list.

In my line of work the phenomenon is most prominent with taxi drivers. Taxi drivers with £2-3k single vehicle policies piss and moan non-stop, whereas we can go months without hearing a peep out of six figure fleets.

Some comedy value in the fact that the industry has really started to tighten the screws on taxi policies, because they're frequently more hassle than they're worth and they attract expensive bodily injury claims. We stopped renewing all of ours a few months ago for exactly that reason, which means there is no longer any incentive to indulge them in their power trips.

japan on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    And Superjail season 2 needs to hurry the fuck up.

Yessss

I need to see more of that show.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man, where did Ellie disappear to? She's supposed to be a part of my D&D D&D game!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Bummer.

Korgoth, yeah, it was great, it was totally like a 14 year olds D&D fantasy.

When they didn't pick that up and picked up fucking squidbillies instead I wrote off adult swim forever.

I actually like Squidbillies.

But that's largely because it pretty much takes place in my home town.

Sheep on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    goddammit CN dropping korgoth before it started was depressing

almost as bad as the whole ATHF advert shutting down chicago and getting people fired/having people step down to the point that the network lost all its sense of awesomeness.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Encumbrance rules are one of those bits of realism that I will throw out of any PnP or CRPG system if given a chance. I have yet to find a time that they make anything fun for anyone.

the only place they are good are if one of your players is wanting to play a lightly-armored fast-attacking dodgy type of dude, in which case it's probably not fair to neglect the encumbrance penalties for Sir Armorplates

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dear Customer,

Thank you.

In my line of work the phenomenon is most prominent with taxi drivers. Taxi drivers with £2-3k single vehicle policies piss and moan non-stop, whereas we can go months without hearing a peep out of six figure fleets.

Some comedy value in the fact that the industry has really started to tighten the screws on taxi policies, because they're frequently more hassle than they're worth and they attract expensive bodily injury claims. We stopped renewing all of ours a few months ago for exactly that reason, which means there is no longer any incentive to indulge them in their power trips.

And at least here it's always a shock when you do things like that. I don't know if you guys got infected with the whole "The Customer is Always Right" nonsense but man it's a fucking issue here.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's official. I'm in Dilbert land. They're going around doing some sort of chair audit.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I tried the City of Heros trial about a year ago. I think maybe that's the kind of game that is better appreciated by people who played it when it was newer. I couldn't really get into it.

the game is constantly improving and innovating

it is, thus far, the only MMORPG that lets you create your own missions, enemies, and story arcs for example

and the new Praetorian content allows you to make choices based on how you want to roleplay your character, with branching storylines and alignment shifts and shit

old hat for single-player RPGs, but for a MMORPG that's pretty brave.

i played it for about a year at launch

was all right. ended out really grindy once you hit i forget which level, and the dev team just flat-out refused to correct some severe balance issues (first with fire tanks, then with slotted regen, then with other stuff). they were really pokey about adding powers or frameworks.

there wasn't enough content either. there would just be large gaps where there wasn't really anything to do but go to a high-level zone and grind mobs.

i didn't like the way they forced your man to stay within framework. and the way they slapped auras onto everything was just visually distracting and ugly

also, i fell in with a supergroup who was really into RP, and i guess i just couldn't stomach it

"RP" in city of heroes is the poops.

but with Architect, you can get a dude (me) to create adventures for you and your buddies, customized for you, with a storyline growing and going on, unique to you

also they made it so that you can turn off all the bullshit auras on most powers, particularely Regeneration, Willpower, Super-Reflexes, and Invulnerability

so if you were like "ugh this is annoying why does my invulnerable dude fucking glow and shit"

you can turn off that fool bullshit (you can also change the colors of all your powers now, and even some of the powers have alternate animations if you prefer)

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    T: Japan

The phenomenon is also severe at the level of restaurants

Those customers that raise the biggest stink are usually the most lower-economic end of the scale

Arch on
This discussion has been closed.