As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Twisting Halls (An Introductory D&D Essentials Adventure)

delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Critical Failures
The wagon rattles and creaks as it rolls along the old trade road. Traevus, the dwarf merchant beside you, guides a team of mules with a steady hand, more interested in the road ahead than in your attempts at conversation, but that's part of dwarven nature. Though the sun is low in the sky, you should reach the town of Fallcrest before nightfall.

To your left, the Moon Hills stretch off southward and reach up toward the darkening sky. The fall air grows colder with night's approach.

---

In this thread, I will be running the introductory adventure contained within the brand-spanking new Dungeons & Dragons, Fantasy Roleplaying Game: Starter Kit released today, also affectionately referred to as "The Red Box". You see, the game Dungeons and Dragons (or D&D, for short), has been around for quite a long time, and in its infancy the entire rules of the game were contained in a simple red box.

In a return to that eldritch of tomes, Wizards of the Coast has released a new "Red Box", one intended to bring the uninitiated and out-of-touch back into the fold with easy-to-learn rules and an introductory adventure that helps you create your first character then brings them together with other intrepid adventures to embark on your first journey together, all for fame, fortune, and the rescue of damsels-in-distress.

Getting in on this game is fairly easy, as all you will need to do is choose a name appropriate to a fantasy setting (be it the name of a favorite character in a novel or film, or one you've come up with on your own), as well as a gender (either male or female; also, dwarf women do not have beards, but they do have some pretty sexy mutton chops!). Finally, you should choose a race:
full_516144513.jpg
The so-called "baseline" race in D&D, HUMANS are the most populous race. While dwarves are defined by their toughness, and elves by their grace and insight, humans are most notable for their great potential. Each human is unique, able to choose his or her own destiny and seize greatness by the scruff of the neck.
78827.jpg
Ancient beings of the forest, ELVES can live for hundreds, sometimes thousands, of years. Their lithe bodies grant them an almost otherworldly grace, and their long life spans have granted them great knowledge and wisdom. Usually content to live deep within their beloved forests, occasionally one will grow bored with the passing of years and venture out into the world, eager for new experiences.
dwarf1.jpg
The DWARVES are as resilient and unmovable as the mountains they call their home. Living in great underground keeps, the dwarven clans pride themselves in their stoic determination in the face of adversity. Thousands of years of defending their homes have forged the dwarves into the toughest race in the world, and while they may not possess quite the longevity of the elves, they often live well over 200 years, granting them great insight into their surroundings.
9525ce7608425a6f8f1062d46cb823b8.jpg?v=108000
Ah, the diminutive HALFLINGS; small in stature but stout of heart, these wee folk have an adventuresome spirit which rivals that of the humans. Quick of hand and feet, these charming rascals always find themselves escaping some sort of trouble. The eternal optimists, nothing can ever get a halfling down for long. Their unwavering courage in the face of danger also bolsters their allies, for if the smallest among them can face unimaginable terror with a smile, why, so too can they.

---

"The Twisting Halls" will be starring:

Bosperan, as Klopfer Falkenfelser, male dwarf fighter
Failsafe, as Loni Basaltson, male dwarf cleric
bratr, as Flipan Took, male halfling rogue
Warabit, as Edendir Tellynnial, male elf wizard

The game starts here.

A side adventure, "Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens", begins here. This solo adventure is a free download for anyone who has purchased the Red Box.

EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
"Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
delroland on

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Too experienced to play, but eagerly awaiting watching the class picking process.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks like good times.

If you for some reason don't get enough players, I'd be happy to join, but also a more experienced player here.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love how the artwork for elves looks like an ad for 90210, and the dwarf is medieval Rambo. :P

I'll be watching this closely, but I'm definitely not a new player. And I'm already in two other games. So I'll leave this to others I think.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Name, male dwarf. I have had DND books since I was roughly 12, but have played in a grand total of two adventures in the past 28 years, and never played 4th edition.

"It's NAHM. Damn humans think they own the language, too."

ronrab on
  • Options
    BosperanBosperan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Klopfer Falkenfelser, male Dwarf: I have played 3.5 DnD one evening during my exchange year in Kansas. Been listening to the Podcasts at WotC and am now trying to get a DnD group started here in Rostock Germany. To that end i just started to get some of my college friends hooked on Castle Ravenloft. I have more experience in other PnP-RPGs like Shadowrun and the German game DSA.
    I have never played a post by post game so would appreciate a link to a rules/ettiquete post.

Bosperan on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bosperan wrote: »
    I have never played a post by post game so would appreciate a link to a rules/ettiquete post.

This Wiki kind of gives you a basic idea of how it works.

Rolls are usually made on Orokos and posted here.

Best idea is just to read some of the games currently in progress and get a feel how they work.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bosperan wrote: »
    I have more experience in other PnP-RPGs like Shadowrun and the German game DSA.

For those curious, DSA is the most popular RPG in Germany, moreso than D&D. It was released in the US as "The Dark Eye" and is the ruleset used in the computer game Drakensang.

delroland on
  • Options
    FailsafeFailsafe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Loni Basaltson, Male Dwarf < No experiance with any edition of D&D or PBP games as of yet>.

Failsafe on
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I blame the asskicking picture for causing everyone to be dwarves. Dwarfs?

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well mostly dwarf adventuring parties do have an impeccable fantasy precedent. But I suppose that waking an ancient dragon or starting a five way war is probably not the best possible outcome of this trip.

Failsafe on
  • Options
    bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flipan Took (TM), Male Halfling. grand total of 3 sessions of DnD 3.5e + 1 session of DnD 4e + Attempting to run a game here on Penny Arcade (A Dragon, A Princess, and Adventure. <- Go check it out :winky:)

I think we need to do this:
    bilbo_dwarves.jpg

I would like a chance to play just so I can learn a bit about what I need to do better in my own games, but feel free to give my spot to someone else as I am already involved in enough.

bratr on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just to keep the theme going: Orik "Copper Nose" Fortenbreu, Male, Dwarf

I've played roughly four hours of 4th edition before threats of divorce made the DM change hobbies. I owned the original red box but never played it. The most RP I've done is an incredibly half assed WHFRP campaign in high school in the early 90's.
    I'm hoping to get a RL game together now that I'm living in a new city and this would be a fun getting to know the game experience.

NODe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Way to not be a dwarf, bratr.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Did you check the picture?

The halfling was a very thought out addition.

bratr on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks awesome! I'll eagerly watch the hijinks unfold, safely from my blue dot, with no character submission. I'm playing in enough games as it is, and think it'd be nice to give some new players the chance to get in.

streever on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the halfling is the obligatory hired burglar. Dwarfs like to keep them around for some reason.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    NODe wrote: »
    Just to keep the theme going: Orik "Copper Nose" Fortenbreu, Male, Dwarf

I've played roughly four hours of 4th edition before threats of divorce made the DM change hobbies. I owned the original red box but never played it. The most RP I've done is an incredibly half assed WHFRP campaign in high school in the early 90's.
    I'm hoping to get a RL game together now that I'm living in a new city and this would be a fun getting to know the game experience.

I'm curious as to why they call him "Copper Nose". Does he have a knack for finding copper veins? Is his nose darker than the rest of his face? Or did he literally get his nose sliced off and replaced with a copper one?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    the last one sounds the best

bratr on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, Dwarves are known for being quite straightforward with nicknames. His nose was bitten off by a kobold and later replaced with a finely crafted copper replica. He occasionally takes it off at the request of morbidly curious nephews and to scare away chatty bar patrons when he feels like drinking alone.

How does he smell you might ask?

He doesn't...it's a copper nose...why haven't you been paying attention?

NODe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All we need now is one cranky old human wizard in grey robes that leaves us half way through the adventure.

Bosperan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, Dwarves are known for being quite straightforward with nicknames. His nose was bitten off by a kobold and later replaced with a finally crafted copper replica. He occasionally takes it off at the request of morbidly curious nephews and to scare away chatty bar patrons when he feels like drinking alone.

[strike]He doesn't...it's a copper nose...why haven't you been paying attention?[/strike]

Awful. He's a dwarf, after all.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Yes, Dwarves are known for being quite straightforward with nicknames. His nose was bitten off by a kobold and later replaced with a finally crafted copper replica. He occasionally takes it off at the request of morbidly curious nephews and to scare away chatty bar patrons when he feels like drinking alone.

[strike]He doesn't...it's a copper nose...why haven't you been paying attention?[/strike]

Awful. He's a dwarf, after all.

I wouldnt think so. Dwarves mostly live in nice dry stone cities. Elves are the ones that normally spend a few thousand years living in the middle of the woods with no running water.

Failsafe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    dry stone cities ??? When the Falkenfelser dwarfs start quaffing their ale neither the stone floor nor the dwarfs remain dry. Furthermore ... who has time to find a bathroom after finishing his 3rd keg of the morning.

Bosperan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    True but real Dwarfish ale doesnt smell Bad it's just the normal backround sent down in the mines and all of that quaffing has the useful side effect of removing any stubborn stains from all clothing or floors.

Failsafe on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zomro Zargoth, Male Human

I've played DnD off and on for as long as I can remember (early 90's), but only recently have been able to play more regularly. I haven't had any experience being a player in 4E as I am currently DMing for my group. This would also be my first PbP experience, but I've looked around on here and on other forums so I think I have the gist of how it would work. Thanks for the consideration!

Zomro on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    21.5 hours until sign-ups close.

A couple basic points I want to bring up:

1) There are four spots available for the game.

2) The first half of the adventure is solo, even though I will be running all four of you through it simultaneously. I know it messes slightly with the suspension of disbelief, but that is how it is intended to be run. Heck, you don't even need a DM for the first half, and the book ends with the suggestion that you find four friends and run them through it so that you can DM the second half for them.

In other words, just go with it. Your characters will not meet until the first half is concluded.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The character sheets are available here. If you get into this game, you will need to print a copy of the character sheet so you can fill it in appropriately as we progress.

delroland on
  • Options
    WarabitWarabit Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Edendir Tellynnial, Male Elf - Never played a game of D&D. Have 4e rulebooks.

Warabit on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish I had time to play, but I am just going to be following along. I'm a newbie, about to lead another handful of newbies through this adventure as a first for all of us.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alright, sign-ups are closed. I have chosen the following players:

Bosperan, as Klopfer Falkenfelser, male dwarf
    Failsafe, as Loni Basaltson, male dwarf
    bratr, as Flipan Took, male halfling
    Warabit, as Edendir Tellynnial, male elf

The three of you who did not get in may be able to get into a second game if you can find one more player.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well this is exciting. Thanks for chosing me.

What now? Should we start trying to fill in those sheets or will you be taking us through that?

Failsafe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for choosing me, Its going to be interesting to see how the solo part works, I like the idea of essentials as a single package though.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just sent the four of you a PM. Just follow the instructions therein, and we'll start as soon as everyone is ready. :)

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Loni is a city Dwarf and very proud of the achievements of Dwarven civilisation. He left his home with the vague aim of civilising the barbarism that he believes rules outside Dwarven realms. So far he has been wandering the land looking for a place where he can start his great work. His decision to travel to Fallcrest was spur of the moment mostly brought on by a sense of kinship the Dwarven merchant that is bringing him here. Now that he is arriving he feels slightly lost and trying to decide on a starting point for his self imposed quest.

Test: 1d20+5 11

Failsafe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It is the second month of Klopfer’s “Bierzug”, a time honored tradition of clan Falkenfelser. During the Bierzug a young dwarf walks out in the world to find new recipes for alcoholic beverages. These will be brewed in the halls of the dwarven stronghold for centuries to come. The merchant, Klopfer is traveling with, is an old trading partner. He has told him about the delicious beer that is brewed by the Innkeeper in Fallcrest. This shall be the first recipe he will inscribe in the big book of brewery. The first of many to come.

test roll: 1d20+5 22

Bosperan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Test Roll: 1d20+5 22

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Test: 1d20+5 20

It had been several years since Edendir had left the woods him and his people called home. Fallcrest was one of his favorite places to go when he needed a change in scenery. He spent months at a time watching people interact in the tavern or listening to children reenact wars while resting in the bows of a tree. He would meet adventurers passing through once in a while. and more than once he went along with them on their quest. Edendir loves the rush of a great adventure.

(Not sure what we are doing for OOC, but..) Hey guys, this should be fun. This is my first taste of D&D and PBP. Thanks for the pick Delroland

Warabit on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't worry about OOC for now; you can just post as normal. Once we get to the second half, then we'll start separating it.

From the first post:

The wagon rattles and creaks as it rolls along the old trade road. Traevus, the dwarf merchant beside you, guides a team of mules with a steady hand, more interested in the road ahead than in your attempts at conversation, but that's part of dwarven nature. Though the sun is low in the sky, you should reach the town of Fallcrest before nightfall.

To your left, the Moon Hills stretch off southward and reach up toward the darkening sky. The fall air grows colder with night's approach.

Suddenly, a noise shakes you from your reverie--the twang of a bowstring, coming from the shadows beside the road. Traevus cries out as an arrow sinks into his shoulder. With a shrill cry, a pack of goblins--short, ugly creatures with green skin and fang-filled mouths--run toward the wagon, brandishing weapons. You see another goblin pulling an arrow from a quiver on its back. It's clear these creatures mean to steal the wagon--and that probably means eliminating both you and the merchant first!

It's time to leap into action, but that can mean different things for different kinds of fantasy heroes. How do you imagine the hero in your mind reacting to this situation?

Do you imagine pulling a weapon from the back of the wagon and leaping down to fight the goblins?

Do you imagine casting a magic spell to blast the goblins?

Do you imagine drawing a dagger, using the wagon for cover, and sneaking around to pick off the goblins without putting yourself in too much danger?

Do you imagine tending to the merchant's wound, perhaps uttering a divine prayer to restore his health?

Italicized text in Sienna represents flavor, or "boxed" text, which describes the scene around your character.

Plain white text represents rules descriptions or explanations of the situation.

Bold text in Lime represents a possible choice for your characer. You may only choose one option at any time, though sometimes you will find yourself redirected back to a previous decision.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    casting a magic spell to blast the goblins

Warabit on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Flipan was feeling bored, he liked to do things, move about see new things. For the past while the scenery hadn't changed and the dwarf merchant cared nothing for a conversation. Flipan tried juggling for a little bit but quickly got bored of that as well. He was glad for the ride, but sometimes he wondered whether he wouldn't have more fun on foot.

<Goblins Attack>

GOBLINS, Flipan jumped up up onto his feet. Lots of them.

Flipan jumped of the edge of the cart away from the goblins, not to run away, oh no. He moved quickly around the cart then while the goblins swarmed the dwarf merchant holdign the reigns, Flipan leaped from behind the cart, a dagger flashing faintly in the evening light.

"Hey you big buffoon, if you like shiny stuff so much take this"

Well that was terrible, my father would be turning in his grave if he were dead.

Do you imagine drawing a dagger, using the wagon for cover, and sneaking around to pick off the goblins without putting yourself in too much danger?

bratr on