As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft - There is no sound, Drop to refresh durability, That's a spawn cage

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    Finally had a look around Rapture... the place is so much bigger than any screenshot could ever convey.

Yeah, I spent the longest time being completely lost around a tiny portion of it. I haven't been on to see the new boatysphere ride in, but I found the original long walk in pretty impressive (and funny, with the "This needs to be more epic somehow" signs along the way).

Since we're on the topic, could someone PM me the new IP?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The rapture server is on the OP if that's the one you're looking for, I'm waiting on the underdark one myself as I forgot to write it down when it changed.

Falx on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can I get an invite to the steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/atat23

I don't have the new IP for underdark so I was on the server with the sky bridge last night, it didn't feel right though, too much sky.

I don't play many games online but I'm actually loving playing SMP to see what everyone's making, what I'm not loving is the fact that people seem to make random holes into your shit and don't bother patching them up. I don't know if it's griefing or just stupidity and I actually fear going back on to see what state my temple is in.

atat23 on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My 3D glasses came, I think, from one of those Futurama DVD sets. I don't know if that series is popular enough in the UK that you could find the DVD sets easily, but there you go.

Be advised though, my pair's red or magenta lens seems to be out of tune with the game, so my left eye gets a faint cyan ghost image of what the right eye sees. It's a bit annoying but can be ignored.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think minecraft hates me, thought i'd play it a little during my work lunch break...

BbZSk.jpg

I think it wants me to die when night comes. (seriously, it put me on one of two very small sand islands after starting it up)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's only a few seconds swim to shore. You can make it!

If I survived my first night, anyone can.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was exploring Rapture like the lost tourist I am, and came across an apartment with this view.

You can still look left and right and see some other stuff, too. Very cool.

EDIT: Ahaha, the submarine is great. Periscope is a sign with "O" on it.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, surviving a night is actually really easy on a small island. Go to the shore, get some wood, enough to make a few swords, and if you haven't finished your house by nightfall retreat to the island. You'll get at most 2 or 3 mobs spawn out there, if any. And if you have torches that's basically a safe haven.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    That's only a few seconds swim to shore. You can make it!

If I survived my first night, anyone can.

Oh really? How will I get past the fictional shark infested waters?

Also, I thought I'd generate a second world and this time the small sand island is miles away from the mainland.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyway to play this off of a USB Drive? Without having to remember to copy your .minecraft folder from %appdata%?

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any way to change my spawn point on a singleplayer game?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to Kris for sending me the Steam invite, can't wait to get home from work and play!

Hell, might have to play at work now...

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whenever I spend a few minutes on the Underdark server, I get a black screen and Minecraft is crashing for me. Anyone else have this? Gonna test this on the other servers now.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing. Need a beginner's guide, please. Managed to flood a cavarn full of lava and zombies though.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing. Need a beginner's guide, please. Managed to flood a cavarn full of lava and zombies though.

How much of a beginner?

That video I linked a few pages back also has follow up videos.

This video

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    Thanks to Kris for sending me the Steam invite, can't wait to get home from work and play!

just got my invite too, I didn't see who the invite was from but damn that was fast, thanks!

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    Any way to change my spawn point on a singleplayer game?

You'll have to use a third party application, NBTEdit. I'm not at home right now but you should be able to find it through google, as well as the instructions to change your spawn point.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »

How much of a beginner?

That video I linked a few pages back also has follow up videos.

This video

I just d/l'd the free client and am mucking around in singleplayer, but have no idea what to do. Cheers.

Jintor on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whenever I spend a few minutes on the Underdark server, I get a black screen and Minecraft is crashing for me. Anyone else have this? Gonna test this on the other servers now.

Change your view distance to "TINY". Underdark server crashes with a high view distance.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ...goddamn. Just worked my way through the tutorial.

Now hopelessly addicted.

Jintor on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay I'm thinking minecraft is bad for me.

I stopped being scared of the dark a long, long time ago. Minecraft is making me fear the darkness once more.

Last night I was exploring and found what looked like the opening to a massive cave. I tried tossing a few torches in but couldn't really see (wasn't enough of an opening to walk in). Then I noticed it was getting dark.

So I scrambled - my shelter was too far away to reach and I had little to defend myself with. I ran back out of the cave and quickly dug into the soil on the mountainside, threw a torch up and sealed myself in. I then set about digging out a room in the rock beside me.

After my little 4x6 room was complete, I decided to tunnel back through the rock in the direction of the cave I'd found. Just as I broke through the wall some kind of spooky sound plays and I pause...then break the last block and slowly look around.

I peer over the edge into the blackness...it just seemed to descend forever.

I ran back to the room I'd built, which now contained a workbench and furnace, crafted a door, threw it on the tunnel, and sat there for 15 minutes building up the nerve to go further.

Eventually I went back in and worked my way down a little, building a stairway and putting up torches as I went, eventually realizing I was going to need more supplies to explore the whole thing. So I went back up and as it was daylight out, ran around gathering more wood and coal.

As night fell once more I returned to my new home, grabbed my iron sword, put together a huge batch of torches and crude stone tools to dig my way through as needed, and set out into the darkness again.

It turned out to be a pretty extensive cave system, and ultimately not very dangerous. I wound up finding a good haul of iron, enough to make a full suit with some left over for other uses...huge, huge piles of coal...found a lava flow and a couple of waterfalls. Even a few veins of gold ore and - gasp! A treasure room! I got lucky this time - the dangers encountered weren't too difficult to deal with. But that doesn't mean I feel like my initial fears were unfounded or that they won't be there the next time. They most certainly will.

What gets me is the cave exploration. When it's daytime and you're outside, it's a happy fun playland. If you get caught out at night it's dangerous, but you know that and it's really not so scary.

But the caves...man, the caves scare the hell out of me for some reason. D: Maybe it's the combination of the unknown and the fact that you're sealed in to a degree...I'm not sure but it's definitely one of the best gameplay experiences I've had in a while. Even if it is the most frightening thing ever.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hate the caves because the only way to see into the darkness is to periodically put torches down as your explore.

So you've got to enter the outskirts of the darkness to plant em. I wish the game let you create a lantern to hold in your offhand.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i wish he would fix the website so that I can pay him the pittance he wants for the weeks of fun this will give me.

this is crack.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like being a "torch runner" it's got a kind of suicidal feel to it.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Decided to start a serious single player, on hard, and ended up with a great spawn point. Within the first day I had a ton of iron, coal, wood and even a whole punch of pork. Also, right next to the spawn was a great little mountain with two waterfalls coming out of one side, and a big tree at the top and halfway up. The plan is to make a bit of a base carved into the side of the cliff, and then to expand to the two trees and a ring of trees I've planted around the bottom of the waterfalls' lake, and then expand down to the nearby sea coast and build a port. From there, it'll be time for mass mining and exploration!

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope portable light sources will never be implanted.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FloatingIsland.png

Long ago, the dark one, Herobrine, lurked the world over scouring RedStone after finding the first way out of the Underdark. His whereabouts became unknown, but it was rumored that he had discovered the true power of the RedStone. Cultists, believing they found the final resting place of Herobrine, built, in HIS honor, a RedStone Cathedral deep below the ground. The Altar they built was extra powerful, and with it, the High Cleric summoned forth the ancient ruins of a civilization Herobrine himself once founded. Why it was lost still remains a mystery, but it rose from the sea and began floating above the center of power.

There was no way up, and waterfalls fell down through the island. One, when looking from a distance, can see trees and the ruins of great structures. The RedStone Cultists worshipped the island in their underground lair, and they believed that it was a blessing of Herobring Himself!

Edit: I don't know what those artifacts in the background are, but I only get them on this server...

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can you even grow crops in snow?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can with torches.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can with torches.

Genius!

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good game, An Australian ABC games review show reviewed Mine craft tonight.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/

I'm yet to watch it but I'm interested in knowing if people outside of Australia view the video clips on the website?

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Edit: I don't know what those artifacts in the background are, but I only get them on this server...

I've seen them on all servers except Zetxs but I don't know what they are either.

Maybe visions sent by Herobrine showing that the end will come in the shape of many block shaped comets D:

atat23 on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    atat23 wrote: »

I've seen them on all servers except Zetxs but I don't know what they are either.

Maybe visions sent by Herobrine showing that the end will come in the shape of many block shaped comets D:

Looks like my castle needs a Redstone force field then.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    atat23 wrote: »

Looks like my castle needs a Redstone force field then.

I believe we shall draw more followers if we can spread this message. Praise Herobrine and RedStone!

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Toldo on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would like to be in this steam group also.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaziek/

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/kuhlmeye/

Well, looks like I will be buying this when the opportunity presents itself. How can I abandon the home I built last night?

If I could get an invite that would be fantastical.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    OuraOura Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Ein, I'm a long time reader of PA (6+ years), but I've never ventured in to the forums.

I had to register to tell you that Rapture looks amazing and you and the rest of the players did a fantastic job. I need to backread this entire thread now (just looked at pictures before), but do you ever give any tips on how to make an underwater building? I've tried unsuccessfully several times.

Still just completely amazed that people created that.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/reckage

Would love to be added too.

Oura on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I was wondering..I remember seeing side by side wooden doors.

Is this still possible?

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oura wrote: »
    Ein, I'm a long time reader of PA (6+ years), but I've never ventured in to the forums.

I had to register to tell you that Rapture looks amazing and you and the rest of the players did a fantastic job. I need to backread this entire thread now (just looked at pictures before), but do you ever give any tips on how to make an underwater building? I've tried unsuccessfully several times.

Still just completely amazed that people created that.

Underwater building's a little tedious, but also way easier than most people make it out to be. The basic method is simply to build the framework of the building underwater, then wall it up - ceiling, walls, floors. Then you have to fill the interior and dig it back out again to displace water. The easiest materials to do this with are typically sand or gravel, since they 'fall' due to gravity and can quickly fill a space. You can also do the torch trick (where you knock out the bottom block of a column of sand or gravel, and then very quickly deploy a torch in the space where it was) to make all of the above blocks fall on the torch and deconstruct themselves.

Ein on
This discussion has been closed.