As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disgaea 4 (and Asagi) hit common sense with massive damage [US Summer 2011!]

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Woo. Game beaten, epilogue gotten, post-game begun.

I have to honestly say though. This was probably the worst plot of the entire series. But I don't really mean that to be completely negative sounding as it is, because I really loved the characters and their interactions. But, the actual overarching plot... it's 100% pointless. It really is "Here's a bunch of shit that happens", the ending is as barebones as you can get, and the epilogue I got was complete nonsense.
    I got Vulcanus?, which apparently is the default one you always get if you do nothing. Vulcanus/Artina apologises for the promise, Val says he will finally show her despair, but Artina says he doesn't have to, she already saw despair when Val was dragged into Fear the Great and died. So everything is all fine now.

Except none of that fucking happened.

Seriously, there was nothing even approaching that. Val walked through Fear the Great (which, by the way, sounds really stupid. I don't know what it was in japanese, but I could barely take the game seriously when people kept saying it. It's just such a clumsy word), punched out the source, and the day was saved. No dying, no despair. Just "And so the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls Valvatorez and his crew.

Still though, totally love the game. Now I'm just debating on what to do. You can only get one epilogue per game. And if I want them to be recorded in the data shop, I'm seriously going to have to play the entire fucking game over another 5 times. Even overleveled and destroying everything, that still takes a decent chunk of time. And if I'm going to do that, there's no point in doing much of the post-game, since it just gets reset anyways.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    still have D3 and D4 in plastic. should i play 3 before 4?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    3 has some annoying game mechanics that 4 fixes so in that sense you'll probably enjoy the two of them more if you play them in that order

also 3 has a better "plot" and characters and stuff but i mean honestly the plots to all of these games are completely horrible and it's completely fine because that's not why we're playing them

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Basically, 4 is the same as 3 but with some improvements. That's pretty much the sum of the entire series. They get better and better. Leveling and Mana gathering in this game is so much better, and monsters are actually worth leveling more this time around, too. I'd play 3 first, because, like my case with D2 and going back to D1, I got so used to the improvements between the two, that I didn't want to play D1 much anymore.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    *crawls into thread* So I'm knee deep in post game, about 900 monster kills on ordeal 4, have monsters at strongest rank, mother brain with 20% exp evility, desco is level 2400, with the succubus and kat girl around 1700, grindin is goood. All the classes I use are in their 6th rank, which I think is the last, so now they can actualy do some leveling. I've beaten all the non ordeal post maps accept.....
    Laharl, who I'm drooling at getting, love that guy. Though I'm waiting till my master thief is 1000+ so I can steal all of laharls shit and even some monster weapons. I stole etna's spear and was thrilled to see she still had it when she joined.

After that map, I assume theres x-dimension maps, and then land of carnage left? I'll have to hit item world before all that though, as the highest level item I have is a 30 prada pendant. I also need to spend a few hours leveling and reincarnating all the story characters, and taking them through item world for movement boosts/chance at skills. Then theres the whole filling the data book and replaying the story for endings....

I wish dark souls wasn't coming out so soon. :(

edit: fuuuck, and I need to inherit a lot of abilities on characters, goddamn it....

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    *crawls into thread* So I'm knee deep in post game, about 900 monster kills on ordeal 4, have monsters at strongest rank, mother brain with 20% exp evility, desco is level 2400, with the succubus and kat girl around 1700, grindin is goood. All the classes I use are in their 6th rank, which I think is the last, so now they can actualy do some leveling. I've beaten all the non ordeal post maps accept.....
    Laharl, who I'm drooling at getting, love that guy. Though I'm waiting till my master thief is 1000+ so I can steal all of laharls shit and even some monster weapons. I stole etna's spear and was thrilled to see she still had it when she joined.

After that map, I assume theres x-dimension maps, and then land of carnage left? I'll have to hit item world before all that though, as the highest level item I have is a 30 prada pendant. I also need to spend a few hours leveling and reincarnating all the story characters, and taking them through item world for movement boosts/chance at skills. Then theres the whole filling the data book and replaying the story for endings....

I wish dark souls wasn't coming out so soon. :(

edit: fuuuck, and I need to inherit a lot of abilities on characters, goddamn it....
    after laharl
    there's asagi who is level 1500

then there is prinner x who you don't get on your team but is level 3000

then there is zetta who i think you get but he's level 4000 and i don't have a prayer of beating him

my current goal i guess is to actually do the duping i'm all set up to do
    need to dupe nine more times in order to permanently get 97x the exp all the time :O

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Guess I was horribly wrong. Which is a good thing.
    I got a laharl map where he had a legendary sword and like an idiot I quit out of it because I thought my steal wasn't high enough but I'm sure I just had to be behind him, ugh...

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    yeah i dunno what comes after the level 4000 guy

he has 40M HP and does 1M with basic attacks
    i decided to give up and he killed my entire team with one move lol

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    What are the passing odds for increasing the area size of an evil symbol

I just got class world unlocked and want to start beefing up training ground and aura pyramid

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    What are the passing odds for increasing the area size of an evil symbol

I just got class world unlocked and want to start beefing up training ground and aura pyramid

it's not a bill, you just pay mana

5k for the first increase, 50k for the second, 500k for the third, I'm ASSUMING 5mil for a fourth but i haven't tried

• Options
    Oh, that's good to hear, I was assuming it was a bill

Time to work on giant Desco in 9-4 for a bit

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    i feel like i'm going to need a gigantic heart cannon in order to take down the level 4k boss

a gigantic heart cannon sounds..hilarious...

i mean let's say i have 10 people in the heart cannon (I don't think this is actually possible)

four surrounding, rest with spear/bow/gun

each of them will cannon each of the others attacks
    so they'll get 90 extra attacks in

100 attacks total

although i guess it'd be better to save someone to pick up the boss in between turns, and to have someone bravehearting

• Options
    I'm hearing people say there's a max cap of 6 spaces, including the leader space, on all symbols. So no, no 10 slot heart cannon. Pity.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    okay so with six slots i could have three surrounding, three gun-spear-bow, one bravehearter-turned-lifter, three lifters

which means five turns to kill him before he gets to attack

:/

unintentional on
  • Options
    The Heart Cannon trivialized a lot of the boss fights this time around

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    It's Zetta, in human form, fucking finally. Are you expecting to take down the most badass overlord with your puny attacks?

Zetta BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMU

• Options
    For me personally, like 70% of Zetta's awesomeness was being voiced by Crispin Fuckin' Freeman. Once they took him away, the magic of the character was lessened.

Still a badass, but not as much now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just put Archers in the Heart Cannon area

It's technically not super optimized in terms of max damage, but so much easier to use

• Options
    my archers will miss though

• Options
    I dunno, physical attacks seem to really loose there luster in the 1000's, atleast from hat I've seen. I guess if you're beefy enough it wouldn't matter though.

also, woot stole a legendary sword from whats his face, now to start inheriting some of these bullshit skills that some classes refuse to learn.

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    Stayed up until 2AM last night getting through the final part of the story. I have to say, that last bit was fun, and rather difficult even though I had Val and Desco up around level 230, and everyone else around 120.

Also ran into my first Pirate invasion last night before I finished up the game on a high (for me) level item, so everything on the map was 280+ level, and it was a small crammed level. Wound up just leaving.

Out of curiosity, I'm assuming that the main point of things to come is leveling like a mad man?

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    Post game is basically a bunch of challenges that you can choose to accept or not. If you wanna level to 4000 to take down boss X, go for it. It's pretty much for e-peen sake and for trophies. It's also great nostalgia if you've played other disgaea games.

Anyways, fuck chara world, even on level 1 characters. I've gone through it on all my non story characters atleast twice, upped heart cannon, training ground, pyramid twice, got some people double movement, and 2 or 3 people hidden skills. My beat master has 2 hidden spear skills, and I'm assuming there's more. How many can you learn from chara world?

I loathe going in on all the main story characters (and extras). It's just so damn tedious.

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    i figure i'm going to make one good non-story character dude
    currently it is a thief, but i plan on reincarnating it through a variety of roles before settling as..i dunno, what's good? android is subpar for mega-late game i think? but gimmick body would own for mid-late game....
    hrm

• Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    Seems like there's a wider breadth of possible "uber" combinations rather than just a select few like Disgaea 1.

Time to screw around with combinations. I'm just glad I finished the main story line before Dark Souls comes out. Because I have a feeling that I'm going to be sunk into that...

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    i got one more dupe today

which means i have eight left

this is the stupidest "game" i've ever played sometimes

• Options
    Dunno if their base evility changed in D4 since I haven't unlocked them yet, but Masked Hero was pretty incredible in D3 even late game just because being able to evade practically everything is the only reliable defense when everything turns into one-shot kills.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    Dunno if their base evility changed in D4 since I haven't unlocked them yet, but Masked Hero was pretty incredible in D3 even late game just because being able to evade practically everything is the only reliable defense when everything turns into one-shot kills.

they changed it, it's 5% speed per tile instead of 10% evasion per tile

• Options
    Damn, no more ridiculously underleveled item world rushing I guess.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    Damn, no more ridiculously underleveled item world rushing I guess.

no, you still can, you just need several of them
    one to run through and drop the nether express near the exit
    one to punch the gatekeeper off of the gate
    one to make it through to the next floor

• Options
    Hah, found a color changer in item world! Spent an obcene amount of money on a ton of different colors, didn't even know this existed. Now all my story characters are mad stylish.

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    In D3, you could also unlock a character that sat at your main camp and did the same thing (for the same amount of money). I think they might be in D4 as well.

• Options
    there's also the music shop, same idea, let's you adjust the music in item world, chara world, base

• Options
    edited September 2011
    blaze_zero wrote:
    In D3, you could also unlock a character that sat at your main camp and did the same thing (for the same amount of money). I think they might be in D4 as well.

yeah, thats what I mean, it only let me change it once in item world, then I got it in my base also, but yeah, costs money.

got the music shop also, have fuka's godlike battle song for my base music.

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    The big thing is that once they're unlocked, you can actually buy music and colours from the base versions now.

• Options
    Thats what I'm saying! I have both in my base.

also, I hope I don' have too many more bills to pass other than the 3 or 4 pregame maps I need, I just pass all bills by force now, no matter how trivial. everyone hates my guts.

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    Thats what I'm saying! I have both in my base.

also, I hope I don' have too many more bills to pass other than the 3 or 4 pregame maps I need, I just pass all bills by force now, no matter how trivial. everyone hates my guts.

same
    but i can murder everyone no problem so it's whatever

• Options
    Considering starting post-game pretty soon. I think I'm gonna try and finish up Dead Island before delving into grind madness.

• Options
    gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    What a weekend, got to MoO4 and am now abusing the shit out of it to get 6th tier everything. Once that is complete I'll start work on getting a great team compiled.

Fused Desco is outrageous, and I cannot wait to Fuse/Magichange a Neko & CU Sith into a wicked fist weapon with Big Bang.

So is unlocking LoC that big of a pain?

Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
  • Options
    gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Edit: Sorry for the double post.

gvandale on
    Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    How do I unlock the extra battles, dont see any bills even though I got like 100k mana and level 1000.