As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TF2: Give proyebat all ur hats

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i am being a bit of a man child about it

but god damn it

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    get the fioses

have i posted lately about me missing my fios

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had to restart on the paproject due to some confusion with windows 7 backup and a failed hard drive, so I don't have much to show, but I figured I'd show it anyway. I'm mapping angry so I just started laying crap down and trying to get some results. Screens are the results of maybe 2 hours of work if you discount the two weeks of prep work and detailing I lost. So most of this was in my head and it was just a question of doing it:
    cp_paproject_a110002.jpg

cp_paproject_a110000.jpg

The end goal is to get the lighting where the roofs are in darkness, but the playing area is fully lit.. kind of try to make it feel like night is pressing in on you. It's a bit dark in spot but I think it's workable so far.

Not really digging the snow/dirt blend texture. I've been playing with the texture off and on for a week now, I can see what I want in my head but not really pulling it off in game.

xzzy on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So how are we splitting working on the map? That's been the least decided on thing regarding it...

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i give up

my internet hates me

and i hate it

Without having any idea what kind of problems you are having, I suggest getting pingplotter to try to narrow it down.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    I had to restart on the paproject due to some confusion with windows 7 backup and a failed hard drive, so I don't have much to show, but I figured I'd show it anyway. I'm mapping angry so I just started laying crap down and trying to get some results. Screens are the results of maybe 2 hours of work if you discount the two weeks of prep work and detailing I lost. So most of this was in my head and it was just a question of doing it:
    cp_paproject_a110002.jpg

cp_paproject_a110000.jpg

The end goal is to get the lighting where the roofs are in darkness, but the playing area is fully lit.. kind of try to make it feel like night is pressing in on you. It's a bit dark in spot but I think it's workable so far.

Not really digging the snow/dirt blend texture. I've been playing with the texture off and on for a week now, I can see what I want in my head but not really pulling it off in game.

Looks great!

I think I can provide more good news. Every time I've played the paproject this week, people have seemed to enjoy it.

Hey You on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jPsXY_b6To

fuck yes, this could have another one of the random face posing videos, but it isnt and it rules

donhonk on
  • Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was tired of searching through to find this thread, so it's blue dot time.

ShadowofVT on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We better have a scout go take care of that sniper.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WEEKEND

ZEN

+

hennessy_xo_250.jpg

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    holy fuck. That owns.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey You wrote: »
    cp_paproject_a110002.jpg

cp_paproject_a110000.jpg

Looks great!

I think I can provide more good news. Every time I've played the paproject this week, people have seemed to enjoy it.

If I could only make one request, it would that the lighting be warm. I think that all TF2 maps should have an element of happy-fun-times to their visual look and I usually hate night maps because they just feel cold and lonely :(

I think Hey You's Moonshine is a great example of how to do lighting at night.

Feel free to disregard this request... if you're not a cool person.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AfroJ wrote: »

That's made by thejazzman, a PA forum guy.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey You wrote: »
    cp_paproject_a110002.jpg

cp_paproject_a110000.jpg

Looks great!

If I could only make one request, it would that the lighting be warm. I think that all TF2 maps should have an element of happy-fun-times to their visual look and I usually hate night maps because they just feel cold and lonely :(

I think Hey You's Moonshine is a great example of how to do lighting at night.

Feel free to disregard this request... if you're not a cool person.

No, you're right. I am literally copying and pasting lamps from other maps just to fill it out for now. I want some of the outdoor lamps to be white and cold, but indoor stuff at least will be warm and cozy.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    So how are we splitting working on the map? That's been the least decided on thing regarding it...

I thought we were all working on it until we had a first pass done, everyone would get together and vote on the best features, and someone would have to combine it all into a single map. So my suggestion for now is to do just enough brushwork to convey the theme you're going for, and we can worry about perfectly aligning every texture and putting in funky angles later.

I really think once we get into the final detail pass we'll have to use instancing. Merging vmf's on a second detail pass would be ridiculously hard. But if we split it up with instancing (which I have played with a little bit.. it's pretty cool) people can just take a building, edit just that building, and the master map never has to be changed.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    From the SA thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqVTivx7Y3g

This is awesome.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AfroJ wrote: »

That's made by thejazzman, a PA forum guy.

I wonder why he does not post on this forum.

Hey You on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I kind of wish he'd spread the animations out a bit. All those months of work for 20 seconds of actual video?

It certainly is an epic video, but seems like a lot of work for not a lot of result.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I thought we were all working on it until we had a first pass done, everyone would get together and vote on the best features, and someone would have to combine it all into a single map. So my suggestion for now is to do just enough brushwork to convey the theme you're going for, and we can worry about perfectly aligning every texture and putting in funky angles later.

I really think once we get into the final detail pass we'll have to use instancing. Merging vmf's on a second detail pass would be ridiculously hard. But if we split it up with instancing (which I have played with a little bit.. it's pretty cool) people can just take a building, edit just that building, and the master map never has to be changed.

I'll help where I can, just let me know. I did hope to help towards the end that I could add a few accent brushes and such (if needed.)

If time become a burden at some point, on anyone, I don't mind picking up a section to detail, or doing the boring stuff like clips/hints/skips/optimization.

Edit: I also noticed on the se++ thread there is a guy there that makes the weapon models. I might see if he is interested in making a few custom props. I rarely(never) post there.

Also, when the map is closer to complete, we'll have another naming vote (like moonshine had) and an overlay competition/voting (people will be able to submit 256x256 custom images), so that we can get more people involved. This will be a couple of months from now though.

Hey You on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think it's still too early to know what's needed and what's not needed. The next big step is to get some in-game screenshots of people's detailing efforts so we can start discussing what's awesome and what's not.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm awesome.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In regards to the dance video, the best thing about it is watching it over and over again, focusing each time on a different character. The best is the middle row, which has a lot of interactions. The drunk demo gets slung between different characters, the scout trips the soldier, scout dropping barrels on the soldier, soldier throwing the bat back at the scout, etc. If you watch it closely, the spy moonwalks away near the end and pops up right behind the soldier ready to backstab him.

Endaro on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I kind of wish he'd spread the animations out a bit. All those months of work for 20 seconds of actual video?

It certainly is an epic video, but seems like a lot of work for not a lot of result.

Welcome to the world of animation.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We need to get a practice day arranged. I am going to continue to be mad busy until sunday, but if you guys want to do a pub/bears stomp on thursday let me know if you're interested and I'll post an event. I don't think I could make it though.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

That is hilarious and I would like to try it if I didn't suck so much at being a medic or meleeing people.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    that worms video is alright

too long for my taste

but he still cool so

also thanks roland, gonna try troubleshooting it right now with this pingplotter

basically, i was experiencing momentary drops in connection and high choke, however it usually tends to happen with games -- rarely ever do i experience a drop in connection while just browsing (this is all on a wired connection with an intel gigabit nic which i downloaded the latest driver for)

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If I'm having weirdness over a period of time I've found it helpful to unplug the router from the wall and the cat5 that comes from the modem to it, then go unplug the modem in the basement and unhook the cable line from it. Give it 2 or 3 minutes then turn the modem back on, let it fully boot up before I hook the cable line back in, then come back upstairs and turn the router back on then plug the cat5 back in. Charter cable with a personal router/3rd party firmare so YMMV IAMNANT DAYOR etc

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hi5 for Charter Roland. Aren't those stupid ass bundling junk mail annoying?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't think I've ever gotten any ass bundling junk mail, stupid or not.

Isn't it about that time of the day that folks start complaining about empty servers and how something should be done of it? I would but the wife is getting ready for work, and I'm being a good boy doing the Mr Mom thing by fixer her food.

But seriously, what about the servers? won't sombody please think of the servers?!?!

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i think your advice of unplugging the cable from my modem before restarting is helping

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hi5 for Charter Roland. Aren't those stupid ass bundling junk mail annoying?

I get pamphlets from then several times a week, I'm just waiting for them to send a mail back envelope so I can jam it with their junk.
    What's the max weight/size envelope the USPS can ship out? I want it to be expensive.
    Because they pay the postage

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did I miss something? When did this become a junkmail thread? Well, might as well stay on the new topic...
    So have you ever put up a "no junk mail" sign, and then on the day you put it up you receive more junk mail than you have in your entire life? How friggin' annoying is that?

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i think your advice of unplugging the cable from my modem before restarting is helping

If it keeps messing up, use it with this idea and buy a new one so you can play tf2 without raaaaaaaaage from network troubles. ;)

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    haha i might

but i just played a 50 minute game of league of legends with no stuttering, which i haven't done like ever

along with an hour on some pubby tf2 server

so for the time being, this'll do

thank you wise sensei

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No trading yet?

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    haha i might

but i just played a 50 minute game of league of legends with no stuttering, which i haven't done like ever

along with an hour on some pubby tf2 server

so for the time being, this'll do

thank you wise sensei

hey, good info ain't free man. you owe me a round or two of kritz of the rocket and/or minigun variety.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    don't kritz roland ever

one time i was chain kritzing him and got 9100 healing in one live and then he let me die!!!!

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a confession to make. I have been cheating on the PA servers with Reddit. It's a pretty good group of people, though.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sometimes.

guar on