As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Social Network] Not really about Facebook

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    What a fantastic ending; they could not pick a more perfect way to end a film on this topic.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    What a fantastic ending; they could not pick a more perfect way to end a film on this topic.

The best part is they can do a sequel in 10 years, and another one ten years after that.

The first ever biopic trilogy!
    They could follow it up with a prequel about Zuckerberg's high school years. In 3D.
    I thought it was a pretty good ending as well.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    The song was out of tone with the rest of the movie and the ending could have had a stronger impact without it or with a darker Reznor track like in this scene:

It's a Flincher thing to do, man. Think of the ending to Fight Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUaV9GZDuk

You aren't implying that ending a movie with "Where is My Mind" by the motherfucking Pixies is anything other than a perfect way to end all movies, are you sir?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The ending song was perfect for the credits. Irony and such. The logic is that Zuckerberg is a billionaire, but he doesn't care about money, etc etc.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I just saw this

It was pretty good. the only one of the main characters I actually ended up liking was Edwardo

Joolander on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

I completely agree.

I loved the whole thing as well but the ending was brilliant

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    F5 / cmd-r is a hell of a drug.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was in the fucking front row so I definitely need to see this again

went back a page to see what discussion was going on and I'm really surprised by the topic. oh well.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I was in the fucking front row so I definitely need to see this again.

I was one row back from the front, I wasn't expecting a full house because the general public sees it as that facebook movie. Apparently I was wrong.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I was in the fucking front row so I definitely need to see this again.

I was one row back from the front, I wasn't expecting a full house because the general public sees it as that facebook movie. Apparently I was wrong.

From what I hear facebook is wildly popular. Thats the word anyway.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From what I hear from people on Facebook, Facebook sucks

I don't get it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My news feed post-Friday was nothing but

'Isn't it soooo weird that I'm posting about The Social Network on Facebook omg lol clever clever.'

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

'Isn't it soooo weird that I'm posting about The Social Network on Facebook omg lol clever clever.'

145213__csi_l.jpg

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Die

Because it certainly isn't Funny

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I, myself, mentioned that if felt weird to do it, but that was an honest statement. I had just gotten done watching the movie, and hadn't fully absorbed it all yet. Also, it is strange that the word Facebook gets flagged as incorrect on Facebook.

And actually, looking at that picture of him above, Justin Timberlake might have been a better fit for Zuck.
    Deebaser wrote: »
    The song was out of tone with the rest of the movie and the ending could have had a stronger impact without it or with a darker Reznor track like in this scene:

It's a Flincher thing to do, man. Think of the ending to Fight Club.

You aren't implying that ending a movie with "Where is My Mind" by the motherfucking Pixies is anything other than a perfect way to end all movies, are you sir?

Not at all. Just that it kind of clashed with the rest of the music in that movie. Much as you were complaining Baby You're A Rich Man by the motherfucking Beatles does in this movie.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Just got back. I thought it was excellent. I also think it was extremely fair to Mark.

Sean Parker, however, was portrayed as a total asshole (which could be true...). And who knew Justin Timberlake was a good actor?

...People who watched Alpha Dog, Black Snake Moan, or Southland Tales.

Or any of the episodes of Saturday Night Live he's hosted.

Seriously, the guy has been building a very nice little resume as an actor for a few years now.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I feel very demoralized after watching this movie:

1) I haven't created anything worth $25 billion or whatever.
    2) I see many of movie-Zuckerburg's worst qualities in myself (jealously and spite, mostly)
    3) I never want to any parties that cool when I went to Stanford.

:/

Talka on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Just got back. I thought it was excellent. I also think it was extremely fair to Mark.

Sean Parker, however, was portrayed as a total asshole (which could be true...). And who knew Justin Timberlake was a good actor?

...People who watched Alpha Dog, Black Snake Moan, or Southland Tales.

Or any of the episodes of Saturday Night Live he's hosted.

Seriously, the guy has been building a very nice little resume as an actor for a few years now.

I could very well see him getting a Supporting Actor nom for this

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://jezebel.com/5654633/

The Social Network, Where Women Never Have Ideas

A white guy invented Facebook. But in Mark Zuckerberg's real-life world, women did more than give blowjobs, and black people said more than "Is this guy bothering you?" So why does The Social Network so badly want to pretend otherwise?

Never mind that no one has shown any evidence that Mark Zuckerberg's sleepless coding was an elaborate form of sexual revenge,* or that in real life, he has had a serious girlfriend since 2003, which includes the time when the movie was set. That would make it hard to show Asian girls blowing him and his friend because Facebook was so cool!

In real life, plenty of members of Zuckerberg's inner circle are and were gay men. And Facebook's current success has also been predicated on the hard work of women Zuckerberg trusts, including COO Sheryl Sandberg (also a Harvard grad, profiled in The Times today) and his sister.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    What a dumb article. "Everything the movie tries to say is wrong because I don't like it and I'm a woman" is all the writer is saying. The film isn't saying that it's their way or the highway, they're presenting an idea based on true events. Since people like this woman can't seem to look at it like this, she's making the film about her and instilling how she wants it to be. The point of watching a film, even a biopic, is to receive it's point of view. Judge it based on what it is and why it is what it is, not how it should be based on your criteria.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://jezebel.com/5654633/

The Social Network, Where Women Never Have Ideas

A white guy invented Facebook. But in Mark Zuckerberg's real-life world, women did more than give blowjobs, and black people said more than "Is this guy bothering you?" So why does The Social Network so badly want to pretend otherwise?

Never mind that no one has shown any evidence that Mark Zuckerberg's sleepless coding was an elaborate form of sexual revenge,* or that in real life, he has had a serious girlfriend since 2003, which includes the time when the movie was set. That would make it hard to show Asian girls blowing him and his friend because Facebook was so cool!

In real life, plenty of members of Zuckerberg's inner circle are and were gay men. And Facebook's current success has also been predicated on the hard work of women Zuckerberg trusts, including COO Sheryl Sandberg (also a Harvard grad, profiled in The Times today) and his sister.

Hmm... shenanigans. Unless someone can make the case to me that screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has some sort of pattern of portraying women in a weak way, I gotta go with it was just more convenient for the story. Although if someone does want to make that case I'm all ears.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They did more than give blowjobs

They also set things on fire

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    While we're at it this has got to be some of the most pretentious bullshit I've read all month: http://www.slate.com/id/2269308/

I guess Slate really is run by a bunch of over literate self centered assholes.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Im also going to call shenanigoats.

I have now seen two articles on this very thing, and Colbert has even mentioned it in his interview with Sorkin.

Im pretty sure that Sorkin didnt even take these people (the asian girls were apparently fictitious) into account because they werent part of the message the movie was trying to deliver.

People seem to be confused as to whether this is a documentary or not.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What a dumb article. "Everything the movie tries to say is wrong because I don't like it and I'm a woman" is all the writer is saying. The film isn't saying that it's their way or the highway, they're presenting an idea based on true events. Since people like this woman can't seem to look at it like this, she's making the film about her and instilling how she wants it to be. The point of watching a film, even a biopic, is to receive it's point of view. Judge it based on what it is and why it is what it is, not how it should be based on your criteria.

...Except, as the article notes, the movie leaves out key elements that go against the attitude the movie tries to paint. I think it's kind of significant that Zuckerberg has had a girlfriend since 2003, and didn't apparently care about joining the final clubs.

So it's kind of like an idea that's based on true events, interwoven with fiction that isn't true.

I'm also not sure what the author's being a woman has to do with anything, except for the perspective that she has in regards to the final clubs that Zuckerberg didn't participate it. Maybe you should base your critique of the article on its content rather than the gender of the author?

EDIT: I'm also not sure what's so pretentious about the article you linked to. It seems like it gives some interesting insights to Zuckerberg's actual character.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The movie didn't leave out anything

It made no promises to include them

It's not a documentary Jesus Christ what is wrong with you

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The movie didn't leave out anything

It made no promises to include them

It's not a documentary Jesus Christ what is wrong with you

...so it's a fictional story about real people and real events...

Is this a biographical work? What is it? How am I supposed to take this movie? Should I take some insight into the Facebook story or Zuckerberg's personality from it?

EDIT: Alternate history, maybe? Like Inglorious Bastards?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You should take it as good entertainment

Which it is

And if you want to read into the character of Zuckerberg, feel free, as he's an interesting character

But that's what he is in this film. A character.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not, have not been saying that it's not entertaining. Is that where this sort of thing ends? It's entertaining, fuck off now?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Essentially, yes

You know it's not the 100% true story, and so does anyone who actually takes the time to do a little research

So it's entertaining, fuck off now with everything about it not being factually correct

We know. It doesn't matter in the slightest.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Essentially, yes

You know it's not the 100% true story, and so does anyone who actually takes the time to do a little research

So it's entertaining, fuck off now with everything about it not being factually correct

We know. It doesn't matter in the slightest.

I think it should matter. I think it should bug you that a movie can so casually distort the truth. It's not that it's not the 100% true story, it's that some of it is patently made up, including the motivations and social situations and desires of the people involved. How is this not slander?

Should some meaning be derived from this work? Do the parking lot discussions afterwards involve Mark Zuckerberg the real guy or Aaron Sorkin's Mark Zuckerberg? Do people talk about the actual story of Facebook or the movie's story?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I talk about the movie's story, as did the people I saw it with

Namely because not many people know the real story as Zuckerberg is pretty tight-lipped

Do films like JFK bother you as well, I'm curious?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, like I said earlier in the thread, I'm sure that even if we did have the real story, Sorkin's version is probably a lot more entertaining and works better as a feature film

And obviously the real story would work well as a documentary, but I don't particularly care about documentaries, and good luck getting non-Michael Moore documentaries in theaters

Entertainment

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Isnt the main theme of the film that Facebook has radically changed the social landscape of the average citizen?

That all of the ideas mentioned in the film, the thought processes behind them, were all logical next steps on the social networking platform, and that Sorkin laments this?

Thats what i gleaned from it seeing as he depicted Facebook's creator as ironically having nobody around him but his legal team and a coke addict venture captialist.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I talk about the movie's story, as did the people I saw it with

Namely because not many people know the real story as Zuckerberg is pretty tight-lipped

Do films like JFK bother you as well, I'm curious?

So is it Zuckerberg's fault that people write fiction about him? Is fiction what we turn to when we don't have easy access to facts? Not to mention, again, that the movie got wrong several things that are either on the public record or well known in regards to Zuckerberg.

Again, is this biographical? What is it? Should this movie influence peoples' attitudes and beliefs in regards to Zuckerberg and Facebook?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Probably not, no

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »
    Thats what i gleaned from it seeing as he depicted Facebook's creator as ironically having nobody around him but his legal team and a coke addict venture captialist.

That's not true. He had a girlfriend since 2003. The movie twists facts to make a point that may not even be valid.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Probably not, no

...but it will.

EDIT: And Sorkin, IIRC, wants it to.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg