As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Social Network] Not really about Facebook

12345679»

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just got back from this movie. Right now I am reading some rottentomatoes reviews and guessing the ages and computer skills of the people that wrote about it and had any sorts of quips about it.

The most intriguing one is the 20 minute long chat on slate.com where they just do not get the humor of the rowing scene, but tastefully point out that Eisenberg will not get any sort of Oscar nod because he is not playing the character like the current "give me an Oscar" crowd.

I do get the feeling that if i watch this movie 2-4 more times I will start to see more of the stylish writing, and then just associate that style with being a pretentious anti-computer culture writer. But right now thinking about it, it was pretty brilliant. All the same though after seeing a couple of Aaron Sorkin interviews the way he comes across to me is as a complete prick and fake psychologist disguised as a sympathetic author. But yet again, brilliant dialogue.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Slashfilm posted an article about some of the liberties that were taken in the film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/06/the-truth-behind-the-social-network/

Interesting stuff: Zuckerberg wasn't dating his (current) long term girlfriend since after she was hired at Facebook, so her omission may not be entirely inaccurate. She wouldve been dating him during some of the films events, but her existence probably had no bearing on the scenes we saw from that time period; Erica Albright's character is based on Zuck's blog posts which were taken mostly word for word including HTML formatting, except that her name was changed (though it's unknown if he was dating the person he called a bitch or not); Sean Parker was arrested for cocaine, but not at a Facebook party. An underaged Facebook employee was there, however.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Loren Michael, I think when people have made it clear that they get what you're talking about but simply don't care as much as you do, it might be time to consider taking the sandwich board and megaphone elsewhere. You know? Especially when this is a thread to discuss a new film that is out and that you haven't seen and apparently aren't planning to see.

If you want to start a new thread about truth in fiction, you have my blessing. But for now I think this thread needs to refocus.

This is the first time I've seen a mod on PA. Thanks for that Loren! =) The first thing on my mind was the "*gasp* they do exist" commercials on during christmas about M&Ms and Santa.
    Slashfilm posted an article about some of the liberties that were taken in the film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/06/...ocial-network/

Interesting stuff: Zuckerberg wasn't dating his (current) long term girlfriend since after she was hired at Facebook, so her omission may not be entirely inaccurate. She wouldve been dating him during some of the films events, but her existence probably had no bearing on the scenes we saw from that time period; Erica Albright's character is based on Zuck's blog posts which were taken mostly word for word including HTML formatting, except that her name was changed (though it's unknown if he was dating the person he called a bitch or not); Sean Parker was arrested for cocaine, but not at a Facebook party. An underaged Facebook employee was there, however.

That rules. Thanks Monoxide for the interview!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the Winklevie were played by one guy or two?

They were done so well that it just never registered with me that it could have been two people or camera tricks.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

They were done so well that it just never registered with me that it could have been two people or camera tricks.

One, although they probably did use a stand-in for some of the scenes where they were together (especially if you only see the back of one)

Tomanta on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Two bodies, one actor. Whenever they were in the same shot they were two different people, just with the one dude's face super imposed on the other guy's body using CGI. And yeah they were really well done, that guy deserves some kind of award. The top of this article talks about it Link

I'd also like to mention that I'm a member of the Alpha Chi Rho (AXP) fraternity and we share a house with Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi). When me and a few of my friends saw that they were in the movie, we literally shit bricks. Probably one of the funniest parts to us.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn, that's some good camera work and editing, even with the one guy palying two roles he managed to pull off some very interesting chemistry between the two characters.

Also, Armie Hammer is the best name i've heard of since Rooster Cogburn.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn, that's some good camera work and editing, even with the one guy palying two roles he managed to pull off some very interesting chemistry between the two characters.

Also, Armie Hammer is the best name i've heard of since Rooster Cogburn.

Speaking of which, when I went to see this movie there was a preview for the True Grit remake I didn't know they were making that looked pretty rad.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    it's being directed by the coen brothers

you are very excited

Rust on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    There's a good interview with Armie Hammer up on Ain't it Cool right now. He seems like a sharp guy and based on his performance(s) I think he might have a future in this here magic lantern show business.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone else feel a little depressed watching this movie, especially the opening scene? Just thinking that people like movie character Mark exist makes me wonder why normal people should even try. When there are people who can not put any effort into something that takes normal people tons of hard work what is the point in even trying? He is talking about trying to distinguish himself from everyone else with a 1600 SAT, it really puts things into perspective.

I don't mean for this to get too philisophical or utilitarian, just some thoughts I had while watching the movie.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel a little depressed watching this movie, especially the opening scene? Just thinking that people like movie character Mark exist makes me wonder why normal people should even try. When there are people who can not put any effort into something that takes normal people tons of hard work what is the point in even trying? He is talking about trying to distinguish himself from everyone else with a 1600 SAT, it really puts things into perspective.

I don't mean for this to get too philisophical or utilitarian, just some thoughts I had while watching the movie.

No, I know exactly what you mean. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but largely for the same reason I enjoy a lot of Aaron Sorkin's stuff: the languagegasm of hearing a bunch of fast-talking characters fencing with each other about interesting subjects at 3x speed. But their rarefied backgrounds and personal gifts were intensely alienating, and it kept me at an emotional arm's length.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

No, I know exactly what you mean. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but largely for the same reason I enjoy a lot of Aaron Sorkin's stuff: the languagegasm of hearing a bunch of fast-talking characters fencing with each other about interesting subjects at 3x speed. But their rarefied backgrounds and personal gifts were intensely alienating, and it kept me at an emotional arm's length.

I've known a handful of people like movie-Zuckerburg from high school and my time at Stanford. The girlfriend character is totally right; interacting with these people is like riding a stairmaster. Every conversation is a battle of intellectual one-upsmanship. It is exhausting. I've had honest-to-God conversations like the one at the bar, and I was always the girlfriend-character, trying to keep up and always getting exasperated.

Also interesting is that the four or five people I have in mind are actually all doing quite well for themselves in various tech start-up / freelance jobs. Movie-Zuckerburg is almost a perfect amalgamation of all their genius and assholery and asperbergerness.

Talka on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    The most intriguing one is the 20 minute long chat on slate.com where they just do not get the humor of the rowing scene, but tastefully point out that Eisenberg will not get any sort of Oscar nod because he is not playing the character like the current "give me an Oscar" crowd.

I feel like I didn't "get" the rowing scene. Anybody want to break down why they thought that scene was in there?

Talka on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I immediately thought back to the first conversation we see with Zuck and Erica, where he questions whether or not she's seen anybody who has rowed crew before. We then meet the twins, who were pretty much as Zuck described.

Hell, it seemed to me like those two had a lot more going for them than Hahvahd Connection. They were Olympic athletes.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Basically that, and also to me it seemed like just an over the top scene of elitism/how someone like zuckerburg pictured the elitism that was being mocked by the soundtrack.

But really the whole scene was to set up why they were in England, and that facebook had already moved overseas.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So i want to get this soundtrack, but the 3 choices confuse me.

What is better?
    320 MP3
    Apple Lossless
    or FLAC
    ?

(5$ on the NIN webpage)

Barcardi on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    apple lossless is the same as FLAC. they are as good quality as a wav but compressed

the mp3 is high quality for an mp3 but it's gonna be worse than the others.

that being said, apple lossless and flac aren't played by every media player where as mp3s are.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After reading this thread I have to say that it is the first time I have ever seen someone white knighting a billionaire.

I saw this movie last night and loved it but for me this was less about Facebook and more about Mr Zuckerburg's (and maybe that of many nerds/geeks) behavior which in the end caused him to be lonely. In my opinion it is something we can all learn from.

The actors did a great job, by the end of the "betrayal" scene I hated Mr Zuckerburg with a passion but the performance was fantastic. You could see that he wasn't that comfortable with the whole thing and then the end scene completely changed it all.
    Seeing him looking at that girl's profile made really made him sympathetic and tragic, remember what he said in the beginning when talking about the final clubs? "Those guys don't care about making money". The biggest shame is that he didn't see that neither do the people he considers ordinary, a rich asshole is still an asshole.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Basically that, and also to me it seemed like just an over the top scene of elitism/how someone like zuckerburg pictured the elitism that was being mocked by the soundtrack.

But really the whole scene was to set up why they were in England, and that facebook had already moved overseas.

Plus, their dedication and drive to rowing crew mirrored Zuck's dedication to programming and creating facebook.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mc zany wrote: »
    After reading this thread I have to say that it is the first time I have ever seen someone white knighting a billionaire.

I saw this movie last night and loved it but for me this was less about Facebook and more about Mr Zuckerburg's (and maybe that of many nerds/geeks) behavior which in the end caused him to be lonely. In my opinion it is something we can all learn from.

The actors did a great job, by the end of the "betrayal" scene I hated Mr Zuckerburg with a passion but the performance was fantastic. You could see that he wasn't that comfortable with the whole thing and then the end scene completely changed it all.
    Seeing him looking at that girl's profile made really made him sympathetic and tragic, remember what he said in the beginning when talking about the final clubs? "Those guys don't care about making money". The biggest shame is that he didn't see that neither do the people he considers ordinary, a rich asshole is still an asshole.

There was a great scene in there that actually gave me some sympathy for Zuckerburg was when
    he saw his ex in the bar / restaurant, goes up to her to try to apologize, and she responds still angry, but then dismisses his idea as "good luck with your video game or something," which sounds like the biggest "fuck you, nerd" elitist statement out of the context it was in. But only to him, because that stuff is still up on his blog.
    That was so biting that you felt for him. Then the next scene he is a cold ass again. It is such a good balancing act.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

There was a great scene in there that actually gave me some sympathy for Zuckerburg was when
    he saw his ex in the bar / restaurant, goes up to her to try to apologize, and she responds still angry, but then dismisses his idea as "good luck with your video game or something," which sounds like the biggest "fuck you, nerd" elitist statement out of the context it was in. But only to him, because that stuff is still up on his blog.
    That was so biting that you felt for him. Then the next scene he is a cold ass again. It is such a good balancing act.

I actualy was shocked that I didn't hate zuckerberg, after all the whrblgrbl going on in this thread. Yes he is a dick, yes he got in bed with Sean Parker who fucked him over, yes he did fuck over his ONLY true friend. But if there's a villian in this movie, it's not zucker, it's Parker. All the little scenes during the deposition really made me like his charector even more, and humanized him a lot to me.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Going to see it again today, hopefully in an isle that isn't second from the front.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

I actualy was shocked that I didn't hate zuckerberg, after all the whrblgrbl going on in this thread. Yes he is a dick, yes he got in bed with Sean Parker who fucked him over, yes he did fuck over his ONLY true friend. But if there's a villian in this movie, it's not zucker, it's Parker. All the little scenes during the deposition really made me like his charector even more, and humanized him a lot to me.
    Same train of thought I had. For all the talk about Zuck coming off as an asshole in the movie, I came out of it thinking he was just a flawed guy. Parker's the real jackass in all of this.

By the way, I love Justin Timberlake, even moreso now.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

That's probably why the "relationship" elements were written into the script--a method of humanizing them in such a way as to allow unremarkable peons such as ourselves to relate to the otherwise extraordinary characters depicted.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Hell, just seeing the trailer gave me that sort of feeling.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Snap! Necromancer OP is casting his revival spell.

I went to see it again last weekend and it still held up. I'm more into movies with clever dialogue AAAAAND lots of action. Here it's just clever dialogue and literally zero action. I like the fact that I can understand everything he was doing to make facemash.com, while everyone who's not a computer nerd sat there like "ookay, that makes sense?"

Also I still think the betrayal scene is really well done.

P.S. I had to wait til the weekend after I said I was going because that weekend it sold out, again. Then this past weekend it looked like it was about to sell out because all the seats were practically gone, I got a decent view though better than two rows from the screen.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I never hated Zuck after watching this movie. I was actually... inspired by this movie. I think it was partly due to being burned badly by this girl "friend" and so that movie kind of hit the spot. That and the dialogue was fucking awesome and I only felt bad for Zuck because he was taken advantage of by Parker. In the end, Parker had a perfect read of Zuck and did everything right to get him to do what he wanted. From the beginning meeting, you could tell Parker won Zuck over.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png