As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I'm loving this talk of whiskey, as I think I had some years and years ago and I liked it, but heck if I know which brand / style it was. I think it was either Jim Beam or Johnny Walker? Those are two types of whiskey right?

Yes. Beam makes a Bourbon (don't get this) a Rye(this is good if you like Ryes) and Johnny Walker makes blended scotches of various flavors and smoothnesses.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    How similar is rye whiskey to rye bread? Because I'm not really a fan of rye bread.

I need to track down the guy that I know for sure bought the whiskey I had all those years ago, because even if he doesn't remember what he bought for that bachelor party, I'm pretty sure he would know which one he was likely to purchase.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rye whiskey is dry and peppery. Rye bread tends to be sweet and herbal (imo, spicey might be a better term)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Oh that's significantly different. Anyway I'm still going to talk to the guy that bought the whiskey I had, hopefully he remembers.

Like I think it had a black label, and I know Johnny Walker has one of those, but I don't know about Jim Beam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Jim Bean is white with a red seal.

Johnny Walker is a diagonal label that will be 1 solid color with maybe some gold trimming depending on the color.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    weird, here Ardbeg 10 is $100, Laphroaig is about $80, and Lagavulin is about $120

Out here its: unavailable, $80-$90, and $135.

• Options
    Laphroaig 10 Yr $38
    Ardbeg 10yr $58
    Lagavulin 16 Yr $70

<3 Total Wine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Johnny Walker is a diagonal label that will be 1 solid color with maybe some gold trimming depending on the color.

If your Jim Beam is white with a red seal don't buy it. If it is green with a green seal you're ok

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I picked up a 2014 bottle of this beer goose island's madam rose, which was eye-wateringly expensive. but then I realized it's a special occasion (my first presidential vote) and it's the size of a low abv bottle of wine which wouldn't be too bad to pay 30 for.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/51983/

Had it, loved it. Got a very alembic style body, reminiscent of the Frambois, but with cherry rather than raspberry and a nice smooth finish for a sour.

Would like a touch more tartness myself, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I didn't realize it was a sour but it's great! It's very complex. I was a bit turned off at first but it's quite tasty

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Laphroaig $43
    Ardbeg 10 year $44
    Lagavulin 16 $80

This is at a big Chicago-area chain, and the closest shop to me. Hmmm.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

If your Jim Beam is white with a red seal don't buy it. If it is green with a green seal you're ok

Red seal, don't peel.
    Wrapper of green, pretty keen.
    Black label, liquid sable

• Options
    Walker red is better than walked black

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

i thought it was harsher...

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

It may be. Black is more expensive. I just prefer red. Black has all the poor qualities of the highlands and few of the good ones.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

It may be. Black is more expensive. I just prefer red. Black has all the poor qualities of the highlands and few of the good ones.

I am the same way.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    so, yeah.
    know what I said earlier?
    right now I feel like finding the hardest stuff I can and not stopping until I pass out.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Wisniowka and zubrowka are so rad. The irish hipsters on that channel tend to have pretty shitty taste across the board though, looking at some of their other tasting videos. These people like nothing, that is actually good, just because it's different from their normal piss lager and daily potatoes.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    They should've started with Spiritus and then everything would taste great. Or less like burning.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    any tried and true punch recipes that ya'll recommend? I've made alton brown's cape fear punch but I was hoping for something that doesn't require going out and buying 4 bottles of booze.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Wisniowka and zubrowka are so rad. The irish hipsters on that channel tend to have pretty shitty taste across the board though, looking at some of their other tasting videos. These people like nothing, that is actually good, just because it's different from their normal piss lager and daily potatoes.

Actually some of them weren't that keen on most of the potatoes either.

https://youtu.be/68cy20lPRS8

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

I feel like if not for the crushing hangovers and parental responsibilities, I'd make an excellent liquor taster channel, as there's basically nothing I can't stomach. My only issues came when I drank 180-190 proof straight with no chaser, as my throat started to close up. No wonder alcoholism is highly present in my family.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

These people suck at almost any and every tasting video they have. I'm not sure what they like, if anything.

• Options

These people suck at almost any and every tasting video they have. I'm not sure what they like, if anything.

What are you talking about? In that video alone there's at least one person that likes each drink, and most of the time it's a lot more than that. Hell, even the lightweights like it when there's enough mixer.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Eggnog is made. Now to wait the 3 - 4 weeks until it's safe to drink.

wnrx1ddhetn1.jpg

9bidgidwvx8f.jpg

• Options
    I'm seriously tempted to make eggnog this year, because it's just not a thing here and I've never tried it.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Fermented eggnog?

I've never heard of this. I usually just make what's essentially a half cooked custard and dump a shitload of whiskey in it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    This is a similar recipe to what I made.
    http://ruhlman.com/2014/11/holiday-classic-aged-eggnog/

It's pretty easy, most of the time was just separating the eggs. I've made it with whisky, scotch, all rum and bourbon. I find that the bourbon adds a nice depth to it. But the scotch was pretty good also.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    This is a similar recipe to what I made.
    http://ruhlman.com/2014/11/holiday-classic-aged-eggnog/

It's pretty easy, most of the time was just separating the eggs. I've made it with whisky, scotch, all rum and bourbon. I find that the bourbon adds a nice depth to it. But the scotch was pretty good also.

Huh... I might give that a try.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm not much into making the eggnog itself, and there's an okay one they sell in Australia at Christmas. What alcohol normally goes in it? I drink it every year but I've never thrown booze in it yet.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm not much into making the eggnog itself, and there's an okay one they sell in Australia at Christmas. What alcohol normally goes in it? I drink it every year but I've never thrown booze in it yet.

Rum or whiskey (bourbon) are the most common. But you can probably put anything in it. If you do I would stay away from tequila and anything similar to vodka. If you use a gin maybe something with a high herbal content as that would be significantly different from the sweet rums that are most common

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    the key to eggnog is using enough spirit for safety

age it a month or so & voila

any dark spirit works

i usually like a 1/2 Bourbon 1/2 dark rum (especially a rhum) + cognac + benedictine if possible

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Podly wrote: »
    the key to eggnog is using enough spirit for safety

age it a month or so & voila

any dark spirit works

i usually like a 1/2 Bourbon 1/2 dark rum (especially a rhum) + cognac + benedictine if possible

Sounds delicious, although if I make a spin on your recipe I'll substitute Calvados or a Germain-Robin alembic brandy for the Congac.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I love eggnog but you reminded me of something so here you go

https://youtube.com/watch?v=igxyTAlwMwI

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I made a faux derby the other day Instead of Bourbon, Grand Marnier, Red Vermouth, Lime i used Rye, Triple, Red Vermouth, Lemon. It was still pretty tasty.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I just buy southern comfort egg nog in the store and dump whiskey in it.

It is pretty great

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Had another opportunity to hit up the ABC store when I went grocery shopping, so I decided to pick up a dry vermouth for proper martinis (the sweet vermouth was alright, even by itself, though it was better with bitters mixed in). They also had a Canadian whisky on the clearance shelf so I figured for $10, even if it wasn't good, I could deal with it. Tried the whisky first, and it's not bad. Tonight I'm trying a more proper martini with the dry vermouth, and I definitely like it more than with the sweet.

Now for whisky, the particular bottle I got was Canadian Limited Whisky, which when I looked up reviews it seemed people either hated or loved. I think it's pretty good. From what I can tell from internet research, this is a rye whisky? The descriptions are not clear and don't even seem to be consistent depending on where I look. Probably tomorrow I'll try it in an Old Fashioned and see how that works out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The thing about rye whiskey from Canada is that Canada has no regulations on what something labeled a rye whiskey actually contains.

So you could buy something labeled a rye that doesn't actually contain a majority of rye!

• Options
    If it looks like a duck, tastes like a duck, smells like a duck, and has other characteristics found in a duck. What is it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    If it looks like a duck, tastes like a duck, smells like a duck, and has other characteristics found in a duck. What is it?

a bunch of deboned pigeons crammed into the skin of a yearling goose?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

If it's from Canada, probably a loon.

steam_sig.png