As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    its very easy to scorch a computer board with a household solder gun. don't touch the thing to the board at all and maybe you'll get lucky.

• Options
    Well unlike mobile devices at least you have a reasonable option of just not upgrading

Why couldn't you just "not upgrade" with a mobile device?

Well on iOs you'll start getting program problems pretty quick

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Very true. The fact that such a huge percentage of iOS users do upgrade their OSs mean that iOS app developers are way more aggressive about updating and dropping support. Very different from the Android/desktop environments.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, 89% of the install base on the same OS version, and it's the latest one? Those are crazy, never-before-seen kinds of numbers.
    I wanna see the breakdown of the remaining 11% though; I think it would be interesting to see how many are on very the latest iOS version their device supports vs. those who have an iPad 2 who are still on iOS5 or something.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Do they maybe not count devices that are no longer supported? So, do they even count iPhone, 3, 3g, iPad 1, 2, etc.? And I have to imagine that only includes devices still in use, not devices that have been sitting in a drawer for a few years...

• Options
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Do they maybe not count devices that are no longer supported? So, do they even count iPhone, 3, 3g, iPad 1, 2, etc.? And I have to imagine that only includes devices still in use, not devices that have been sitting in a drawer for a few years...
    They definitely count iPad 2's because iOS 7 and 8 will both work on them. The iOS 8 compatibility list was surprising since I sorta expected it to just have the two latest iPads and iPhones on it, maybe the latest iPod touch too.

As for counting other old devices and whatnot, I think they could actually be including all of them ever; remember the beginning of the iOS bit, where they said 130M of their 800M iOS users were new in the last twelve months? Sixteen percent growth in one year is telling me that hardware-wise iOS is end loaded, with the vast majority of all devices being sold after 2011/iPhone 4 and making that 89% mark literally 89% of all iDevices sold.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    So, my Macbook Pro locked up last night. On reboot I got a file with a ? in it. Went to internet recovery and the disk utility didn't even see my HD. Is it borked? I did try again later and got it to boot, whereupon I Time Machined the drive, but later this morning it did the same thing. Time to buy a new HD?

Esh on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    It's probably the drive, but it's also possible it's the cable connecting the drive to the logic board or the port on the logic board itself. Had a friend whose HDD was fine, but either the logic board or cable were not. We opted to buy one of those kits to mount the hard drive in the optical drive bay. It was much less than a replacement cable or logic board.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    So, my Macbook Pro locked up last night. On reboot I got a file with a ? in it. Went to internet recovery and the disk utility didn't even see my HD. Is it borked? I did try again later and got it to boot, whereupon I Time Machined the drive, but later this morning it did the same thing. Time to buy a new HD?

Yep. Time for an SSD.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Always hard to say. Most likely a borked hard drive. Could always be a loose or borked hd cable.

I'd also just vote for grabbing an SSD, though. It's the most likely fix, AND a big upgrade in one shot.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have advice for what i can only describe as a grey screen of death?

Basically i started up my Air and i got a blank grey screen. resetting in all the various ways, pram, command option shift power etc etc dont work at all, in fact they just outright do not work. Zero damage to the physical product itself, its a year and a half old but in perfect condition. However, internally up to today it has basically crashed anytime i have played netflix or youtube on it and then let it go to sleep. Which is great because that is all I have ever really used it for. It has hard crashed about once a day+ like clockwork. Ive taken it in to apple 3 times before because it has been unbootable 3 times before and they told me nothing was wrong with it. Its got to be the least reliable computer i have ever owned.

Fortunately the apple people should know me as only last week my iphone bricked because the battery expanded overheated in my pocket and crashed the entire phone.... that cant be a hazard. thankfully that was under warranty. I'm sorry but i am pissed, both of these products are my first non ipod products of apple and they are crashy bricky shit and I don't get how anyone would call this product a quality product. Sorry, frustrated.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The stability of Apple's software products is vastly overrated. Mavericks alone has hard-locked my rMBP (which required a screen replacement due to image retention issues) more often than I've hard-locked Windows Vista, 7, and 8 combined. Expanding batteries also seems to be a theme with Apple.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Personally I find that its more a case of some of the old Vista problems being blown way out of proportion rather than OSX being any way more stable. Find them both the same. I personally also don't like the fact some well known issues like the expanding batteries, plastic casing cracking easily etc would have enforced most companies to do a recall and replacement. Apple seem to worm around it each time.

I do recommend though its almost essential to get Applecare with any Apple laptop or computer. Getting additional 2 year cover its great for ease of mind.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Apple has had regular "repair extension programs" for every major hardware issue since I've been paying attention. Not technically a recall (it only goes into effect if you have the issue it's covering), but good enough. Examples: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    "Repair extension program" or not, battery issues are really goddamn dangerous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yep, but they're the same battery issues every manufacturer deals with because lithium ion batteries are not some mysterious wizard tech that is specific to one manufacturer.

minor incident on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And not all manufacturers are so willing to soak up battery issues, either.

• Options
    When I was with Apple the SOP for dealing with anyone who brought in any Apple device with a bulging battery was to immediately replace either the battery or the entire device (for free), as applicable. I can't imagine much has changed since then. That's about as much as anyone could reasonably expected from a manufacturer w/r/t battery issues.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Always hard to say. Most likely a borked hard drive. Could always be a loose or borked hd cable.

I'd also just vote for grabbing an SSD, though. It's the most likely fix, AND a big upgrade in one shot.

Well, the problem is that I have 600gb of music on the drive and I don't feel like shelling out $450 for a 1tb SSD at the moment. Probaby just get another 750gb drive until I upgrade the entire laptop sometime this year.

The cabling looked good, but I imagine there're things that I just can't see that could be wrong.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yep, but they're the same battery issues every manufacturer deals with because lithium ion batteries are not some mysterious wizard tech that is specific to one manufacturer.
    I just happen to see these issues a disproportionately large amount of times for Apple products. This could also be related to how the hell did they fit a 95 Wh battery in the Retina MacBook Pro?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    When I was with Apple the SOP for dealing with anyone who brought in any Apple device with a bulging battery was to immediately replace either the battery or the entire device (for free), as applicable. I can't imagine much has changed since then. That's about as much as anyone could reasonably expected from a manufacturer w/r/t battery issues.

I think my issue with it is that depending on which Apple store you go to or which support line you get through to with Apple can have varying degrees of success with products. I remember Apple were not willing to replace the swelling, battery on my 2008 MBP even though it was still under a year old until I got trading standards on the case. Yet I had a minor software error on my ipad and got a brand new refurbished model without question. also the extension programme for batteries on that particular MBP have since been expired ?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

My last Macbook (2008 plastic one) had the battery swell up, so I got a replacement. I was still under Applecare at the time though.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Have a 2008 white macbook too. I waited too long to replace my battery swell so it wasnt covered by apple care but otherwise its still holding up just fine.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Esh wrote: »

Well, it's a cable issue. For now I've put the 750gb that I bought from Amazon into my desktop PC, took the 750gb out of the MacBook Pro, and using MacDrive I'm copying all the music from the old Mac HD over to the new HD on my PC so I can at least access my music. Looks like I'll be picking up a MacBook Air sometime in the next month.

• Options
    Picked up a wired apple keyboard today. Will take some getting used to going from a big Logitech G15 gaming keyboard, but it's beautiful looking. Two nitpicks are the spacebar is a tad loud and I wish it had a backlight.

The current version was released in 2008, right? I wonder what the next redesign will look like. Seems impossible to go any more minimalist. I would actually like to see Apple build more substantial desktop keyboards instead of continuing to scale further down, unless there's some new revolutionary technology on the way.

• Options
    I'm not sure why they would redesign the keyboard unless they decided to ditch the aluminium and plastic look entirely… I mean they've pretty much perfected the design as is. For example I used to do IT support for a translation company and once one of the girls got one of those things the others started pestering me for one each, and these are people whose job involves extended typing every day, raving about how comfortable it was after ditching those "ergonomic" keyboards that everyone seems to sell. Then the marketing team wanted them and….

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I agree, it seems pretty much perfect, but having the same keyboard design for another 10 years or however long seems... kind of boring. Even if it is perfect. While aluminum is what represents the cutting edge in modern style today, who knows what it'll be a decade from now.

Bubby on
  • Options
    Is there a way to program the command key on the numeric keyboard as something else running on windows 8.1?

• Options
    Same here -- wired Apple extended keyboard fo' lyfe!

Though I kinda wish their wireless one came in extended version.

• Options
    There's certain years of MBPs 2009-2010 primarily that have a known issue where the HD cable goes bad.

• Options
    I need to raise my apple cinema display by like an inch, was looking for an aluminum or glass block the same dimensions as the base of the monitor to keep my desk neat and uncluttered. Something like 4x4 or 5x5 I guess, 1 inch tall or around there. Anyone have any idea where I could get something like this?

• Options
    Machine shop? Or a place like this online: http://www.grainger.com/product/Plate-Stock-WP61568/_/N-c0e?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1UXF8_AS01?$smthumb$

It claims to let you choose a WxL and thickness for an aluminum blank.

• Options
    Cool, thanks for the link. Looks like a 6x6 is $63... wonder if I can find it cheaper somewhere else.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    I need to raise my apple cinema display by like an inch, was looking for an aluminum or glass block the same dimensions as the base of the monitor to keep my desk neat and uncluttered. Something like 4x4 or 5x5 I guess, 1 inch tall or around there. Anyone have any idea where I could get something like this?

Not sure how soon these are being delivered...: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hop/elevation-stand-best-stand-for-imac-and-apple-disp

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Every update I hope there will be a fix for the "black screen on wake up from sleep" problem, but so far it's a big fat nothing.

• Options
    Mavericks has really bad power management

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    So Yosemite is pretty cool, except I can't get Continuity working at all.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    I had Yosemite installed for a few days on my 2015 15" MBP and it was pretty neat. You can tell that it's not finished/optimized, especially in dark mode, so I put Mavericks back on. Definitely excited about the OS, though.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    So Yosemite is pretty cool, except I can't get Continuity working at all.

Apple has not released the system requirements for Continuity/Handoff yet. Here's what we know.

Also, keep in mind that Yosemite is still in beta and some features are not complete or functional yet.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc