As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

1104105106107108110»

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I know that the Apple silicon stuff is really efficient with memory, but I really wouldn't buy a machine with 8GB of RAM in 2023. Get 16.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I know that the Apple silicon stuff is really efficient with memory, but I really wouldn't buy a machine with 8GB of RAM in 2023. Get 16.

the only option, at least that I was able to select that had 16gb was a pro, which literally doubled the price (and the hard drive space). We'll see how 8GB gets us.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I have a M1 Mini with baseline configuration as a backup computer or when I don't want to use my gaming PC for non-gaming stuff. Even with only 8GB of ram it's never felt underpowered for basic PC use. If I actually wanted to use it for photo or video editing or anything more intensive then the 16GB might have been worth it. I barely keep any files on it because they're all on my NAS so the low 256gb SSD is also a non-issue for me.

It's a great little computer. The ways that Mac OS works differently from Windows is different enough that it's kind of fun to switch between the two. I do prefer file management more on the PC but I've been able to set the hotkeys in Commander One to what I have then in Windows which does help. For regular internet browsing, email, and 'basic' computer tasks they're essentially interchangeable to me. However, the seamless integration between my iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac OS is just so nice.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    The only thing I have to add to this conversation is that Finder sucks goats. I wish Apple would make some improvements to it.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, I won't do anything but enable you. :rotate:

I have the 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and it's been nothing but awesome. I went for the 16 gig one and that's served me plenty well.

So i did end up getting the m2 mini. Just the 8gig/256gig version. Ill probably get an external enclosure for my 1TB ssd at some point.

Late to the party, but get a Magic Trackpad and possibly a Magic Keyboard with TouchID?

If you’ve never used a recent Macbook before then the best-in-class trackpad is practically a revelation.

It also opens you to gestures and the use of desktop Spaces.

A clear differentiator between Macs and PCs, in my opinion.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

I have the 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and it's been nothing but awesome. I went for the 16 gig one and that's served me plenty well.

So i did end up getting the m2 mini. Just the 8gig/256gig version. Ill probably get an external enclosure for my 1TB ssd at some point.

Late to the party, but get a Magic Trackpad and possibly a Magic Keyboard with TouchID?

If you’ve never used a recent Macbook before then the best-in-class trackpad is practically a revelation.

So like, since I'm using a keyboard and mouse, what exactly do gestures and desktop spaces bring to the table? Sell me on it. It's a $150 accessory, so I need to be sold.

• Options

the only option, at least that I was able to select that had 16gb was a pro, which literally doubled the price (and the hard drive space). We'll see how 8GB gets us.

you can absolutely configure the base Mac Mini to have 16GB of memory.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2023

you can absolutely configure the base Mac Mini to have 16GB of memory.

Woops, forgot to mention, i got it at the local best buy, so i had to choose from their stock. If i had went straight from apple then yes. At they point though it would have been $800, and at that price point i probably would have just built my own computer again. $600 was kind of the break point for me between going full build and doing a micro/AIO computer of some kind, mac or windows.

Ill say its running stardew valley like a champ and edited some photos without any apparent lag, so the 8g version will probably do fine for the next few years at least.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

So like, since I'm using a keyboard and mouse, what exactly do gestures and desktop spaces bring to the table? Sell me on it. It's a $150 accessory, so I need to be sold.

Phone-style pinch and zoom for a lot of content as well as two-finger flick scrolling are probably my favorites, but there's a lot of others. Check System Settings->Trackpad for the list.

That being said, if you're gaming on it, you probably want to keep a mouse with a real right button around.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I use multiple virtual deskops, so just three-finger swiping between them feels perfectly natural, and godawful when i don't have the trackpad.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I had to buy SteerMouse to get my mice to feel right on my Mac. Otherwise the sensitivity, acceleration, scrolling, and accuracy felt completely wrong. Even though all of them have built in profile memory they felt very different enough to be near unusable without SteerMouse. YMMV but there is as 30 day trial.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    I had to buy SteerMouse to get my mice to feel right on my Mac. Otherwise the sensitivity, acceleration, scrolling, and accuracy felt completely wrong. Even though all of them have built in profile memory they felt very different enough to be near unusable without SteerMouse. YMMV but there is as 30 day trial.

Gonna try that since i can’t get the mouse wheel to scroll correctly no matter how i fiddled worth the settings. Maybe there is a dedicated driver i need to try.

• Options
    on the Windows side I use multiple desktops extensively at work for various job functions/tasks. I have one for my remote access stuff, one for some day to day admin stuff, one for some other [work stuff] that I use, and another for my personal stuff like the PA forums important work stuff.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular

Like another poster said, imagine having iOS-level control over things like scrolling, pinch to zoom, rotation, etc. plus gestures like 2-finger right click, 3-finger drag (accessibility option), 4-finger swiping between desktop spaces, which can be between separate desktops as well as full-screen apps. Plus the trackpad itself is a solid-state piece of tech; it actually doesn't move up and down on clicks beyond the natural flex of the material; the haptic engine fools your brain into thinking it does. That and it is a massive surface.

I personally think it trumps the mouse in a number of different ways; on a Mac it is about 99.99999% of the time how I control the mouse cursor. I even design in the Adobe Creative Suite with the trackpad only, and that's my career!

• Options
    Just a word of warning through is that trackpads are extremely unergonomic so if you're prone to any kind of issues related to RSA or the like, using a trackpad full time is an *extremely* bad idea.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I like using both. I keep my trackpad and mouse nearby so I can do most stuff with the mouse, but then I can also use the great gesture controls on the track pad.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust