Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

1104105106107108110»

Posts

  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I know that the Apple silicon stuff is really efficient with memory, but I really wouldn't buy a machine with 8GB of RAM in 2023. Get 16.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I know that the Apple silicon stuff is really efficient with memory, but I really wouldn't buy a machine with 8GB of RAM in 2023. Get 16.

    the only option, at least that I was able to select that had 16gb was a pro, which literally doubled the price (and the hard drive space). We'll see how 8GB gets us.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I have a M1 Mini with baseline configuration as a backup computer or when I don't want to use my gaming PC for non-gaming stuff. Even with only 8GB of ram it's never felt underpowered for basic PC use. If I actually wanted to use it for photo or video editing or anything more intensive then the 16GB might have been worth it. I barely keep any files on it because they're all on my NAS so the low 256gb SSD is also a non-issue for me.

    It's a great little computer. The ways that Mac OS works differently from Windows is different enough that it's kind of fun to switch between the two. I do prefer file management more on the PC but I've been able to set the hotkeys in Commander One to what I have then in Windows which does help. For regular internet browsing, email, and 'basic' computer tasks they're essentially interchangeable to me. However, the seamless integration between my iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac OS is just so nice.

    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    The only thing I have to add to this conversation is that Finder sucks goats. I wish Apple would make some improvements to it.

  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, I won't do anything but enable you. :rotate:

    I have the 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and it's been nothing but awesome. I went for the 16 gig one and that's served me plenty well.

    So i did end up getting the m2 mini. Just the 8gig/256gig version. Ill probably get an external enclosure for my 1TB ssd at some point.

    Late to the party, but get a Magic Trackpad and possibly a Magic Keyboard with TouchID?

    If you’ve never used a recent Macbook before then the best-in-class trackpad is practically a revelation.

    It also opens you to gestures and the use of desktop Spaces.

    A clear differentiator between Macs and PCs, in my opinion.

  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, I won't do anything but enable you. :rotate:

    I have the 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and it's been nothing but awesome. I went for the 16 gig one and that's served me plenty well.

    So i did end up getting the m2 mini. Just the 8gig/256gig version. Ill probably get an external enclosure for my 1TB ssd at some point.

    Late to the party, but get a Magic Trackpad and possibly a Magic Keyboard with TouchID?

    If you’ve never used a recent Macbook before then the best-in-class trackpad is practically a revelation.

    It also opens you to gestures and the use of desktop Spaces.

    A clear differentiator between Macs and PCs, in my opinion.

    So like, since I'm using a keyboard and mouse, what exactly do gestures and desktop spaces bring to the table? Sell me on it. It's a $150 accessory, so I need to be sold.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I know that the Apple silicon stuff is really efficient with memory, but I really wouldn't buy a machine with 8GB of RAM in 2023. Get 16.

    the only option, at least that I was able to select that had 16gb was a pro, which literally doubled the price (and the hard drive space). We'll see how 8GB gets us.

    you can absolutely configure the base Mac Mini to have 16GB of memory.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    wunderbar wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I know that the Apple silicon stuff is really efficient with memory, but I really wouldn't buy a machine with 8GB of RAM in 2023. Get 16.

    the only option, at least that I was able to select that had 16gb was a pro, which literally doubled the price (and the hard drive space). We'll see how 8GB gets us.

    you can absolutely configure the base Mac Mini to have 16GB of memory.

    Woops, forgot to mention, i got it at the local best buy, so i had to choose from their stock. If i had went straight from apple then yes. At they point though it would have been $800, and at that price point i probably would have just built my own computer again. $600 was kind of the break point for me between going full build and doing a micro/AIO computer of some kind, mac or windows.

    Ill say its running stardew valley like a champ and edited some photos without any apparent lag, so the 8g version will probably do fine for the next few years at least.

    webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    KPC wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, I won't do anything but enable you. :rotate:

    I have the 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and it's been nothing but awesome. I went for the 16 gig one and that's served me plenty well.

    So i did end up getting the m2 mini. Just the 8gig/256gig version. Ill probably get an external enclosure for my 1TB ssd at some point.

    Late to the party, but get a Magic Trackpad and possibly a Magic Keyboard with TouchID?

    If you’ve never used a recent Macbook before then the best-in-class trackpad is practically a revelation.

    It also opens you to gestures and the use of desktop Spaces.

    A clear differentiator between Macs and PCs, in my opinion.

    So like, since I'm using a keyboard and mouse, what exactly do gestures and desktop spaces bring to the table? Sell me on it. It's a $150 accessory, so I need to be sold.

    Phone-style pinch and zoom for a lot of content as well as two-finger flick scrolling are probably my favorites, but there's a lot of others. Check System Settings->Trackpad for the list.

    That being said, if you're gaming on it, you probably want to keep a mouse with a real right button around.

  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I use multiple virtual deskops, so just three-finger swiping between them feels perfectly natural, and godawful when i don't have the trackpad.

  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I had to buy SteerMouse to get my mice to feel right on my Mac. Otherwise the sensitivity, acceleration, scrolling, and accuracy felt completely wrong. Even though all of them have built in profile memory they felt very different enough to be near unusable without SteerMouse. YMMV but there is as 30 day trial.

    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I had to buy SteerMouse to get my mice to feel right on my Mac. Otherwise the sensitivity, acceleration, scrolling, and accuracy felt completely wrong. Even though all of them have built in profile memory they felt very different enough to be near unusable without SteerMouse. YMMV but there is as 30 day trial.

    Gonna try that since i can’t get the mouse wheel to scroll correctly no matter how i fiddled worth the settings. Maybe there is a dedicated driver i need to try.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    on the Windows side I use multiple desktops extensively at work for various job functions/tasks. I have one for my remote access stuff, one for some day to day admin stuff, one for some other [work stuff] that I use, and another for my personal stuff like the PA forums important work stuff.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    KPC wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, I won't do anything but enable you. :rotate:

    I have the 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and it's been nothing but awesome. I went for the 16 gig one and that's served me plenty well.

    So i did end up getting the m2 mini. Just the 8gig/256gig version. Ill probably get an external enclosure for my 1TB ssd at some point.

    Late to the party, but get a Magic Trackpad and possibly a Magic Keyboard with TouchID?

    If you’ve never used a recent Macbook before then the best-in-class trackpad is practically a revelation.

    It also opens you to gestures and the use of desktop Spaces.

    A clear differentiator between Macs and PCs, in my opinion.

    So like, since I'm using a keyboard and mouse, what exactly do gestures and desktop spaces bring to the table? Sell me on it. It's a $150 accessory, so I need to be sold.

    Like another poster said, imagine having iOS-level control over things like scrolling, pinch to zoom, rotation, etc. plus gestures like 2-finger right click, 3-finger drag (accessibility option), 4-finger swiping between desktop spaces, which can be between separate desktops as well as full-screen apps. Plus the trackpad itself is a solid-state piece of tech; it actually doesn't move up and down on clicks beyond the natural flex of the material; the haptic engine fools your brain into thinking it does. That and it is a massive surface.

    I personally think it trumps the mouse in a number of different ways; on a Mac it is about 99.99999% of the time how I control the mouse cursor. I even design in the Adobe Creative Suite with the trackpad only, and that's my career!

  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Just a word of warning through is that trackpads are extremely unergonomic so if you're prone to any kind of issues related to RSA or the like, using a trackpad full time is an *extremely* bad idea.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I like using both. I keep my trackpad and mouse nearby so I can do most stuff with the mouse, but then I can also use the great gesture controls on the track pad.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    If you're using Bartender, they got bought by a unknown and thus shady company. Bartender has screen-recording access to do its function. Recommend switching to something else.

    https://9to5mac.com/2024/06/04/bartender-acquired-unknown-developer/

  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    If you're using Bartender, they got bought by a unknown and thus shady company. Bartender has screen-recording access to do its function. Recommend switching to something else.

    https://9to5mac.com/2024/06/04/bartender-acquired-unknown-developer/

    Ugh, thanks for the heads up.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Uh… that intro (WWDC)… holy shit, the hair :D

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    We're finally getting home screen icon positioning, like Android has had for... 15 years?

    Lol, sure, I'll take it, though.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Clearly the biggest news is Calculator coming to iPad. Nothing else matters.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Pondering how to use the AI nonsense for my email. Maybe it's enough to just set up IMAP access to my mail provider and use whatever client I feel like, and their AI can snoop around over IMAP.

  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 17
    We use the Outlook with AI integration at work...it writes the most condescending emails.

    One time it even told me my email could be considered offensive and what it came back with was wayyyyy worse.

    Me and this other guy always sending each other AI emails and seeing who can get the best (worst?) out of it.

    Dixon on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    There is at least a non-zero chance Apple got some actual humans to properly curate their LLM inputs but I don’t hold much hope.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Does Apple have a published schedule for how long MacOS is going to support older models? I saw something in the last day or two about some 2017 models not being able to use the next major OSX update, and with my MacBook Pro being a 2018, maybe I need to upgrade sooner rather than later. It still does fine for the work I need it to do, so I haven't been in any rush to upgrade. I've done some Googling, but Google is basically worthless now.

  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You should be fine, I think the only big hit this time around is Intel based MacBook air units.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    It seems to be pretty dependent on hardware support for major features and they will just publish which models are no longer supported as each major version is released.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Feature gating is a thing also.

    They may support stuff for years past the point where key features will not work.

    See: Apple Intelligence, which needs an M1 or faster.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it’s not the speed but the neural engine cores. They’ve been quietly building up to this for years now.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    What are the chances with the M4 probook we get OLED screens?

    Anyone heard anything on this? or is the major redesign prob a ways off?

  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    What are the chances with the M4 probook we get OLED screens?

    Anyone heard anything on this? or is the major redesign prob a ways off?

    No idea, but it would be an insane waste if the tandem OLED tech they used that, in testing, outperforms 20,000 dollar reference monitors on certain tasks, wouldn't be moved into the MBP at least as an option.

    Unless their goal is to make the iPad Pro a second screen portable reference monitor for professional workflows as a justification for people to need both.

    Who knows? All I know is that the screen on the newest iPad annoys the fuck out of me because I have seen it and now my perfectly cromulent iPad Pro M1 feels inferior.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
Sign In or Register to comment.