As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Midterms: GOP Wins the House; Government Shutdown in 3...2...1...

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would LIKE to think Obama is dropping the whole bi-partisanship for the sake of itself thing. He's a smart dude and I'm pretty sure he can see the writing on the wall on that issue.

Magus` on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magus` wrote: »
    I would LIKE to think Obama is dropping the whole bi-partisanship for the sake of itself thing. He's a smart dude and I'm pretty sure he can see the writing on the wall on that issue.

Fuck the Republicans?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sean Hannity said I was a great American! I heard him say it on the radio! He called me a great American!

seriously, though, fuck sean manatee

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So

I'm not really surprised by all this

The Dems had the Presidency, the House, and a Supermajority in the Senate, and they still couldn't get national healthcare because oooh nooo it might make the Republicans angryyyy

They had all the power in the world and they sat on their fucking hands

And now I hear Harry Reid still has his seat, so I can look forward to even more spineless cowardly bullshit even if the Dems get back some power

Fucking love the two party system

Love it so much

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, the house is going to get ugly. Actually the senate probably will, too.

I really wonder when the dems will ever learn. Like, god damn, you're smart people, and there aren't all that many of you from little midwestern states that pharma money can purchase.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magus` wrote: »
    Serious question: How bad is this? Like, does this give the Republicans the ability to pass Very Bad Things (tm) that will generally buttfuck the non-rich/white or will the powers the Democrats still have basically force a deadlock?

Probably it means that congress will be unable to do anything for the next two years. Which wouldn't be so bad except that doing nothing means 2 more years of record unemployment and potentially catastrophic climate change.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So

The Dems had the Presidency, the House, and a Supermajority in the Senate, and they still couldn't get national healthcare because oooh nooo it might make the Republicans angryyyy

No, they didn't. They had a small window of time where they had a supermajority, and even then were completely at the whim of the blue dogs.

Pelosi (you know, the one everyone demonizes and the one who lost her position today) worked her fucking ass off to get the changes we got.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I wake up and find that we still don't know who our next governor will be here in Florida.

And of course, it's my county that apparently managed to screw something up. Way to go, Palm Beach County.

SteevL on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just watched Boehner give his speech on beeb 24. Fuck off with the tears and get on with the speech you prick.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I knew waking up today was going to suck.

But hey, at least Crazy managed to cost the Republicans a safe house seat (NY-23) AGAIN. This is good news since it means I am not represented by a crazy person and/or investment banker douche.

So, small upside there.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I would really love to think that Jerry Brown can fix California.

Unfortunately, his hands are so fucking tied by the mind-blowingly retarded propositions, I don't really think there's anything he can do short of calling a Constitutional Convention.

I'm hoping he does just that.

Not sure what the chances are, but I'm hoping for it nonetheless.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »
    SE Cupp said she wanted Bachmann to run as president.

Larry King asked her if she was fucking around.

She also thinks Hannity is an awesome patriot.

She is an idiot.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    So I wake up and find that we still don't know who our next governor will be here in Florida.

And of course, it's my county that apparently managed to screw something up. Way to go, Palm Beach County.

So far, it looks like the governor is gonna be Scott though. Ugh. When the inevitable embezzlement happens, Florida gets what it deserves :x . God, I hate this state.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010

What a crazy, crazy world we'd live in if a politician ever answered the question they were asked instead of giving a statement that totally ignores the issue.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So

No, they didn't. They had a small window of time where they had a supermajority, and even then were completely at the whim of the blue dogs.

Pelosi (you know, the one everyone demonizes and the one who lost her position today) worked her fucking ass off to get the changes we got.

Call it what you want, we still don't got national healthcare and we're still in Afghanistan

Caving to insurance companies and Republican hawks? Business as usual

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Rachel Maddow made up a list of all the policy accomplishments they had while having their majority if you think nothing got done, then you should probably take a look at it.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010

Hahahahaha

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    ``I wouldn't have voted for him if I had another Republican to choose from,'' said Frank Paruas, a 38-year-old Kendall Republican. ``I think Alex Sink isn't a bad person. But I just couldn't vote for anyone in the Democratic party right now.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/03/1906179/scott-appears-to-edge-sink-for.html#ixzz14DfnvOO5

Florida, you are going to get exactly what you deserve.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »

Hahahahaha

http://larrykinglive.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/02/in-case-you-missed-it-s-e-cupp/

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ``I wouldn't have voted for him if I had another Republican to choose from,'' said Frank Paruas, a 38-year-old Kendall Republican. ``I think Alex Sink isn't a bad person. But I just couldn't vote for anyone in the Democratic party right now.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/03/1906179/scott-appears-to-edge-sink-for.html#ixzz14DfnvOO5

I can't wait to see if the state legislature will actually follow him over the cliff with regards to cutting the state workforce. Because if there's anything that Leon county (where Tallahassee is located) needs, it's increased unemployment.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So

Call it what you want, we still don't got national healthcare and we're still in Afghanistan

Pretty much this. Oh, and pussy-footing on the gay rights agenda.

In a mid-term election, your keynote legislation being obvious caved-in crapola and also not really hitting on your party's major issues... yeah not a big surprise why they didn't show up to the polls.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

In other words... "I just can't vote for a Democrat, so I'll vote for the guy who was in charge of the company that bilked Medicare for billions of dollars."

What. Farking. Silly. Gooses.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If this was Obama's second term I think we would be seeing less, "Lets all hold hands on capital hill." rhetoric.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm feeling a little better about this now that I've got some sleep and the pain isn't as fresh. Not much better, but some.

Still extremely unhappy with Pennsylvania's performance. I'm so tired of the shitheads in this state screwing it up for everyone.

This kind of feels like '04 all over again. Except we're only facing GOP control of one house and not EVERYTHING.

As a side note, I'm going to be looking at the logistics of starting my own issue party over the next few weeks. Philly deserves better than Pennsyltucky is giving us, and we control half of the state economy. My calls for secession just got that much more fervent.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Things in Connecticut went pretty well I suppose. We kept all five of our Democrat congressmen, Blumenthal won the Senate race (thank fuck) and they retained the Treasurer and Attorney General among other things. I didn't get a chance to look at any General Assembly results, but it looks like my Democrat State Senator lost to a guy who didn't graduate high school and who's entire platform was NO INCOME TAX PRO-LIFE VOTE FOR ME. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm feeling a little better about this now that I've got some sleep and the pain isn't as fresh. Not much better, but some.

Still extremely unhappy with Pennsylvania's performance. I'm so tired of the shitheads in this state screwing it up for everyone.

This kind of feels like '04 all over again. Except we're only facing GOP control of one house and not EVERYTHING.

As a side note, I'm going to be looking at the logistics of starting my own issue party over the next few weeks. Philly deserves better than Pennsyltucky is giving us, and we control half of the state economy. My calls for secession just got that much more fervent.

Yeah, I'm looking to do the same here in Tallahassee. Time to start looking for domain names and gathering like minded people locally.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I woke up to O'Donnell on CNN: "I lost because of Republican cannibalism"

Also, dear CNN: O'Donnell snubbed national media during the camaign, stop giving her airtime now that she lost. Again.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes. Time for her to go the way of Palin and drop out of the media spotlight.

Glyph on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    So I guess it could have been worse

60 seats in the house is a lot. that's painful.

holding on to 53 in the senate is better than i expected i guess

o'donnel and angle and fiorina lost - those are good things

kind of hurts losing Feingold and the illinois seat. i guess the other senate seats we lost were mostly dems who i didn't like much anyways.

my central consolation is that the entire Massachusetts congressional delegation stayed blue and our entire state government stayed democratic. i guess i feel like i made the right choice in terms of where to move back in 2004.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So.

Where do we go from here? Will the house work with the senate and Obama and get some stuff done? The tea party folk getting in seem hell bent on some impossible tasks like repealing healthcare or cutting costs and taxes across the board...

Not gunna happen.

The one thing everyone agrees on is jobs. So will the republican house actually work with everyone to get jobs created? Or is their only solution to jobs going to be "cut taxes for the rich so they can make jobs!" They certainly wont want to spend any money on job creation programs.

So what will we end up getting, a bill that cuts taxes for the rich and spends money on job creating programs as a compromise? So then everyone rages about debt more?

Also, Id like to start seeing more info on polls. When they asks tuff like "do you agree with the direction this country is going in?" How many of those that disagree actually want a more progressive nation? Its easy to infer from polls similar to that one that people dont want the left leaning policies, but it may in fact be that some of them actually want more. Same with Obamas approval. Its easy to say "see its under 50, more people would rather have republican president!" But of those that dont approve, how many think hes too far center, and would want him to go left harder?

Also when is the IL seat up for grabs again? Wasnt this a special election? Is it 6 years still or is it much sooner?

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So

The Democrats didn't have sixty reliable votes in the Senate to consistently defeat Republican filibusters. In order to get anything, they had to make huge concessions to conservative Democrats. That's the reality of the situation. The Senate rules are fucked.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Also when is the IL seat up for grabs again? Wasnt this a special election? Is it 6 years still or is it much sooner?

It should be up again in 2 years.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So I guess it could have been worse

60 seats in the house is a lot. that's painful.

holding on to 53 in the senate is better than i expected i guess

o'donnel and angle and fiorina lost - those are good things

kind of hurts losing Feingold and the illinois seat. i guess the other senate seats we lost were mostly dems who i didn't like much anyways.

my central consolation is that the entire Massachusetts congressional delegation stayed blue and our entire state government stayed democratic. i guess i feel like i made the right choice in terms of where to move back in 2004.

i thought of you when i was reading the Massachusetts news this morning.

CA mostly went blue as well, hi5!

(now if the economy would just stop tanking horribly here...)

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »

Hahahahaha

http://larrykinglive.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/02/in-case-you-missed-it-s-e-cupp/

Hahaha, that is awesome!

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Really disappointed in SC's performance, but I can't say it isn't exactly what I expected. Of course all my tea-party "friends" are celebrating the fact that they can now "take back" the government from the Tyrannical reign of Big Spend Obama.

And we get more fun times of south carolina politicians being completely and unabashedly rude towards our Commander in Chief (if you remember Joe "You Lie" Wilson, he is now joined by a Tea-Party governor, and DeMint remains in his seat.)

Arch on
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, even though there's no way in Hell that the Senate is going to convict, what's to stop the newly Republican House of Reps from impeaching Obama again and again, thereby making sure nothing can get done?

On a lighter note, perhaps private business will start hiring now that they have no more irrational fear of Obama nationalizing the whole economy, or passing a stupid tax that would have never gotten by the Blue Dogs.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Where do we go from here?

Pretty simple really. The opposition will keep filibustering and blocking legislation as they are wont to do and all the heat will be absorbed by the presidency. Come 2012, we're looking at a complete GOP supermajority and Obama becoming a one-term president. On the brighter side though, Republicans are more lockstep with their ranks, we won't have to worry about "blue dogs" on their side watering or slowing down their presidential proposals. In other words, things will actually get done.

Glyph on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2010
    So, even though there's no way in Hell that the Senate is going to convict, what's to stop the newly Republican House of Reps from impeaching Obama again and again, thereby making sure nothing can get done?

On a lighter note, perhaps private business will start hiring now that they have no more irrational fear of Obama nationalizing the whole economy, or passing a stupid tax that would have never gotten by the Blue Dogs.

There has been more Private Sector job growth since the start of 2010 then there was through the entirety of W's presidency.

So scratch that potential lighter side off your list; we already had that happening.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Glyph wrote: »
    Where do we go from here?

Pretty simple really. The opposition will keep filibustering and blocking bills as they are wont to do and all the heat will be absorbed by the presidency. Come 2012, we're looking at a complete GOP supermajority and Obama becoming one-term president. On the brighter side though, Republicans are more lockstep with their ranks, we won't have to worry about "blue dogs" on their side watering or slowing down their presidential proposals. In other words, things will actually get done.

I really really doubt that, but alright.

Arch on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2010
    Glyph wrote: »
    things will actually get done.

Goddamnit a whole bunch of really good shit got done how did this become a retarded meme.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.