Options

2010 Midterms: GOP Wins the House; Government Shutdown in 3...2...1...

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love how CNN, even when reality doesn't match their narrative, just phrase it so it matches.

"Republicans have taken the House. And even though they haven't taken the Senate, it's MORE Republican than it was!"

Fucking morons.

Your first mistake was watching televised "news".

Really, that's part of why we're in this mess to begin with.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fox news is referring to Murkowski as "Write-in"

Like....that's what they're calling her.

"So, Write-in is probably going to win this election?"

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I live in missouri's 7th district, where Roy Blunt was previously our congressional representative.

As far as local issues go this whole night has sucked for me, until now. Proposition B, an anti-puppy mill measure, was losing all night but managed to barely pass in the end. I was about ready to drink myself into a stupor over that one.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tox wrote: »
    Well, if we're reallllly lucky, we might get more term limits. That could be a good thing.

They might go for it, since, iirc, a constitutional amendment establishing congressional term limits would not apply to the congress that passes it, so those who are in office when it passes are exempt.

Again, I think that's right, I could be wrong, been a while since I researched it.

Not necessarily. Amendments affecting elected officials don't usually take effect until the next election, but they could just as easily vote to limit their own terms, effective immediately.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They could be stupid enough to give the President even more power.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, if we're reallllly lucky, we might get more term limits. That could be a good thing.

They might go for it, since, iirc, a constitutional amendment establishing congressional term limits would not apply to the congress that passes it, so those who are in office when it passes are exempt.

Again, I think that's right, I could be wrong, been a while since I researched it.

Not necessarily. Amendments affecting elected officials don't usually take effect until the next election, but they could just as easily vote to limit their own terms, effective immediately.

Well, they could also "vote" by not running for re-election.

But that would require principles.

Tox on
  • Options
    Fred Savage Power GloveFred Savage Power Glove Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

That's what she is right now. They aren't seeing what was written in, simply that the write in candidate was the candidate chosen on the particular ballots.

If it appears that write in was the majority (which it will) they'll start the long, agonizing legal process of counting it. You'll see court battles over which spellings of Murkowski are allowed.

Fred Savage Power Glove on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fuck this pundit on NPR that just said the Democrats have lost the center. He then went on to explain that the turnout was older and more conservative than the electorate in 2008.

Really dude? You don't think one has anything to do with the other?

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the way Jerry Brown's voice sounds. I think that's what won him the election.

Hoz on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Glyph? You around dude?

Wasn't there a cock on the line for a Republican supermajority? Hmmmmmm?

It's... not. They need to win 90 some seats to get the relevant supermajority in the House.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's what she is right now. They aren't seeing what was written in, simply that the write in candidate was the candidate chosen on the particular ballots.
    There is no need for Fox to go along with a fiction that the vast majority of those write ins are not necessarily for Murkowski.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Punditry is stupid, you should ignore all of it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Carly Fiorina is on now, saying it is too close to call and it isn't over yet.
    I wish she would win. I mean, she won't, but she'd be a one-term senator, and it would get Boxer the fuck out of that seat.

What's so bad about Boxer? Bad enough to sit through a full term of Fiorina, I mean- "smug and kind of annoying" doesn't quite make it worth my vote.

zilo on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Glyph? You around dude?

It's... not. They need to win 90 some seats to get the relevant supermajority in the House.

That's my point. He was adamant that the Republicans would take the Senate and win a supermajority in the House.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    There is no need for Fox to go along with a fiction that the vast majority of those write ins are not necessarily for Murkowski.

While in this instance, we all know what candidate was written in, I'm just fine with them referring to the write in candidate as such from a journalistic standpoint. There is a long legal battle ahead, similar to what we saw in Minnesota with Norm Coleman refusing to give up against Al Franken.

• Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It wouldn't be the first time. It was the Republican Congress that gave Clinton the line-item veto.
    Hoz wrote: »
    I like the way Jerry Brown's voice sounds. I think that's what won him the election.

I think was that people just got wise to the fact that she was doing nothing but throwing money at the office and trying to buy it. When people are hurting, they don't like seeing someone fling millions of dollars around to gain power over them. I really don't think there was that much love for Brown in this state, but was more disgust with Whitman. Her wealth actually hurt her.

Anyway, she just officially conceded.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Glyph? You around dude?

That's my point. He was adamant that the Republicans would take the Senate and win a supermajority in the House.

Someone couldn't read polls and is quite the fool.

• Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Random question, but what exactly is the best (least worst) television politics news channel? And what's the best website?

And a funny story to go along with that. I once told my ultra-conservative fox news watching Dad that The daily show is just as valid a news source as Orielly factor, and he got furious.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I think enough of them will be for someone else, combined with those that misspelled her name, for Miller to take the seat. In about six months.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Carly Fiorina is on now, saying it is too close to call and it isn't over yet.
    I wish she would win. I mean, she won't, but she'd be a one-term senator, and it would get Boxer the fuck out of that seat.

What's so bad about Boxer? Bad enough to sit through a full term of Fiorina, I mean- "smug and kind of annoying" doesn't quite make it worth my vote.

If she behaved in the Senate the way she did as head of HP, she probably wouldn't make it through one term and have to resign in disgrace again.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    Random question, but what exactly is the best (least worst) television politics news channel? And what's the best website?

And a funny story to go along with that. I once told my ultra-conservative fox news watching Dad that The daily show is just as valid a news source as Orielly factor, and he got furious.

I like Fox, because you always know where they stand.

MSNBC is pretty good, largely for the same reason. I know where they stand, so I know how to filter what I hear.

Tox on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I think enough of them will be for someone else, combined with those that misspelled her name, for Miller to take the seat. In about six months.

There are already widespread reports that whoever controls elections in Alaska will make concessions for common misspellings of her name, a la Merkowski, Murkowsky etc. I fully expect a court battle from the Miller camp over which misspellings are allowed.

• Options
    edited November 2010

NPR. Seriously.

I know I'm going to sound like an NPR slappy a lot around here but it's the closest you're going to get to a neutral stance, especially in the political realm. Their website mirrors a lot of their audio content in transcription and actual story form.

• Options
    edited November 2010

NPR. Seriously.

I know I'm going to sound like an NPR slappy a lot around here but it's the closest you're going to get to a neutral stance, especially in the political realm. Their website mirrors a lot of their audio content in transcription and actual story form.

Oh, yeah, listen to him, not me. Fuck what I said.

Tox on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

NPR. Seriously.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Comedy Central. The D&D forums. Respectively.

Oh, you think I'm kidding.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

PBS or BBC News, I think. The rest are just different shades of awful.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I know NPR isn't a television news outlet but honestly, none of them are good. Fox News is conservative, MSNBC is liberal and CNN just passes of tweets, Facebook status updates and iReports off as news in a desperate claw at ratings like they had during the Gulf War.

Television news is based off eyeballs; it's their job to get people to watch. NPR has no such objective.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dalboz wrote: »

I think was that people just got wise to the fact that she was doing nothing but throwing money at the office and trying to buy it. When people are hurting, they don't like seeing someone fling millions of dollars around to gain power over them. I really don't think there was that much love for Brown in this state, but was more disgust with Whitman. Her wealth actually hurt her.

Yeah, I'm from California. I think Whitman's money stuffing was a big issue. Whenever I talked to people about the election it was easy to get them to turn on her by just pointing out how much she spent on the election compared to Brown.

Also Brown just seems like a nice old man now. It's hard to see him as some deranged hippy (Governor Moonbeam) or a calculating hack.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Write-in covers all of the write-in candidates, even ones who aren't Murkowski. We won't find out who the Write-Ins are actually for (though we can certainlly guess) until the fucking 16th. :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yeah, I'm from California. I think Whitman's money stuffing was a big issue. Whenever I talked to people about the election it was easy to get them to turn on her by just pointing out how much she spent on the election compared to Brown.

Also Brown just seems like a nice old man now. It's hard to see him as some deranged hippy (Governor Moonbeam) or a calculating hack.

This raises a point that's annoyed me for months. I know the answer but it's still so very stupid.

Democrats really should have made Citizens United the campaign issue.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Comedy Central. The D&D forums. Respectively.

Oh, you think I'm kidding.

The daily show is a far more viable news source than the oreilly factor.

Arghh, I'm just so angry about 19. If we could just have passed it it might just have saved our proverbial bacon on so many levels. The republicans would have been forced into a giant anti states rights fury at the federal level trying to block it, which would solidify Californian support across party lines and probably occupy months of fury from the GOP. And that's before all the lives it would have saved and the billions of dollars we'd have had to spend on projects in California.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »

PBS or BBC News, I think. The rest are just different shades of awful.

PBS is good, but not very expansive. BBC is great because really their only investment is that we don't obliterate the world one way or another.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    With 3/4ths of precincts reporting in, Miller has stolen a point from McAdams and is up to 35%, but "Write In" is holding steady at 40%

In other news, Sean Parnell (Palin's former Lt. Gov and the guy who took over her job when she left) won handily with 58% vs democrat Ethan Berkowitz's 39%, and in an absolute SHOCKER Rep. Don Young retained his seat versus Crawford 68-32. :P

I swear to god, when Don Young is dead and buried, he'll STILL win that house seat.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It wouldn't be the first time. It was the Republican Congress that gave Clinton the line-item veto.

This is exactly what lost Connecticut for Linda McMahon.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I just think it's hilarious that a former CEO who ran her company into the ground then floated away on a golden parachute thought it was a good time to run for office. That takes brass balls right there.

Even funnier is that she almost won. Shows you just how consistent the thinking of the average voter is.
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The electorate in this country has the attention span and imminent recall of a hummingbird. Not to mention the intelligence of a gardener snake.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So 538 is projecting democrats to hold both Washington and Colorado, leaving them with 53 seats. That's pretty damn good after people were discussing the possibility of them losing the senate altogether not long ago.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My local NPR station just flipped to BBC World Service at 7AM GMT. Their top story is, of course, the American midterms. They termed the Republicans' win a "landslide" and that Obama faces an uphill battle going forward trying to pass his laws. They mention the Tea Party as "Obama's ideological opposites" and as a major party of the story today.

Not intended as commentary, just trying to put an international spin on these elections.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I just think it's hilarious that a former CEO who ran her company into the ground then floated away on a golden parachute thought it was a good time to run for office. That takes brass balls right there.

Even funnier is that she almost won. Shows you just how consistent the thinking of the average voter is.
    The electorate in this country has the attention span and imminent recall of a hummingbird. Not to mention the intelligence of a gardener snake.

Fantastic political ad that didn't seem to hit until this weekend. This is something the Democrats should have been hitting hard since at least July.

"I Remember"

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Did Angle do anything yet?

_J_ on
This discussion has been closed.