As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Four[chat] City

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon why did you ask for a frothing av?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Cat, how about waiting for evidence before calling Feral, Preacher, and japan hypocrites?

I don't recall doing that.

except you did

"yet, when dudes slack off to shoot the shit with each other, no comment from the peanut gallery. While the workplace isn't somewhere a child should routinely be, I have all kinds of problems with this quote tree."

If you read it that way, then you're looking for an excuse to get outraged. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Well when you come into chat and make biased posts basically accusing people of things without justification, and mind you everyone thinks you did, don't be surprised when people point it out to you. You have no justification to act offended that your posts were read badly when they were written that way.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mommy! Daddy! Stop fighting and take me to your places of work!

Sorry I don't need you getting caught fucking some married lady at work and them firing me for it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    There's also an exhibition at a nearby gallery about The Warren Cup (Roman artifact featuring two men kissing and cuddling and maybe oh yes from this angle you can tell they're fucking going for it in a big way and holy shit the vinegar strokes can't be far off), which might be up Bob's alley.

So to speak.

Bogart on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Hey Bogart, we are going to see this thing at the weekend. Should be interesting.

Anything good going on at the Nottingham contemporary?

British Art Show 7 exhibition. Some good, some eh. We went to the opening, and got to hobnob with yer actual celebrities, like Nic Serota (seen cadging gourmet hamburgers at the stall outside), Russel Tovey (the werewolf from Being Human) and Alex Kapranos DJing the party (great music but the guy can't switch records smoothly to save his fucking life).

Damn, I need some glamour in my life.

Fun fact: Alex Kapranos went to the local secondary where I grew up.

japan on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also I read "dudes" as men in that case, but oh well.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow I just realised how borderline tiny the British Isles are, how do you fit 60 million people there?

Shrink raysssssssssss!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I need to figure out a good set up to listening to music while on vent.

Not listening to music while gaming is less fun!

How will you hear anyone? Do you wear a headset? Why don't you just play music using your preferred player and keep it lower than Vent?

Too simple! Not elegant enough! Some people are quiet.

I am dreaming of an ideal way that my music softens whenever someone else starts talking on vent. That would be magical.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Sorry, but I think that's crap. Workers of all stripes turn a blind eye to their own slacking off only to turn around and take a rhetorical dump on parents who have the temerity to turn up at their workplace. I see it in my office all the time. People spend most of their lives at work, its not unreasonable for one or two quick visits during parental leave. And if someone really thinks that losing a few minutes of work time to a child is a day-ruining disaster, I question their priorities. That attitude also translates to a remarkable intolerance of people taking time off work to deal with their older kids. Or, I should say, other people. Somehow its never a problem when they have knock off early or arrive late because they were the taxi that morning.

I don't give a shit if people slack off at work as long as they're not inconveniencing me (ie, as long as I don't have to pick up that slack).

Kids are extremely distracting, though. They make noise, they interrupt you, they get in your way.

They're also an excuse for double standards. It's not okay for childless people to leave the office whenever they want, but if you have kids, taking your kids to/from school or soccer or whatever means you get to roll in at 9:30 and leave at 3.

Kids aren't an excuse for working shorter hours, they're require things. And what do you think parents are doing when they leave to attend to them? I can assure you they're not sitting on their asses eating bonbons, and there's a good chance they'd actually rather be at work than stuck in traffic trying to make it to the childcare centre or school.

I think your frustration is making you unreasonably judgemental of the demands parenting takes on one's time, and I think you of all people should be perceptive enough to understand that the structure of the workplace and the way we run our lives outside of work create these conflicts. Its not parents trying to screw you over by spawning as an excuse to slack off.

But anyway, I'm going to work now. At 9:15, because I can.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want to make an RPG now.

Step one: lern to art

step two: lern to pixel art

step three: lurn porgamring

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Wow I just realised how borderline tiny the British Isles are, how do you fit 60 million people there?

Shrink raysssssssssss!

They are all on the government dime too, I don't know who works over there in england, but he's probably pissed off he's the only guy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cat, how about waiting for evidence before calling Feral, Preacher, and japan hypocrites?

I don't recall doing that.

except you did

"yet, when dudes slack off to shoot the shit with each other, no comment from the peanut gallery. While the workplace isn't somewhere a child should routinely be, I have all kinds of problems with this quote tree."

If you read it that way, then you're looking for an excuse to get outraged. That's all I have to say on the matter.
    Really? You developed psychic fucking powers, that you know I was trying to get pissed off?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Honk, now think of Japan. There are twice the number of people there and less live able land.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's also an exhibition at a nearby gallery about The Warren Cup (Roman artifact featuring two men kissing and cuddling and maybe oh yes from this angle you can tell they're fucking going for it in a big way and holy shit the vinegar strokes can't be far off), which might be up Bob's alley.

So to speak.

I am well acquainted with the Warren Cup. We went to the British Museum while it had its own room a while back. Might be worth seeing if they've got some interesting stuff to exhibit, though.

japan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Cat does not recognize your cisgendered terminology.

Kagera on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Daxon why did you ask for a frothing av?

The joke was that I had ADHD at school because I'd quickly get obsessed with something then suddenly lose interest a few days later.

Also conversations with me take random tangents very often as I think of quite a few different things to say about each and everything thing that is mentioned.

Really, I work in a pretty damn non-linear fashion.

edit: so my quite skilled artisty friend drew me as a guy only wearing boxers, a ruffled shirt with a tie, and frothing at my mouth because I'm insane yet still tend to dress well.

I actually quite like the avatar - been thinking of getting a new one made but I can't really decide what it'd be.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

How will you hear anyone? Do you wear a headset? Why don't you just play music using your preferred player and keep it lower than Vent?

I am dreaming of an ideal way that my music softens whenever someone else starts talking on vent. That would be magical.

Oh I thought you were asking for advice on something that was realistic and viable :P

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

And yet her problem was with the quote tree, and through it the "dudes" posting in it. Its also not overly surprising you don't see an issue with it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know what cisgendered is and I don't want to.

Good night!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Honk, now think of Japan. There are twice the number of people there and less live able land.

Capsule hotels.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Oh I thought you were asking for advice on something that was realistic and viable :P

Pfft, why would I ask for that?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Shrink raysssssssssss!

This explains why so many Brits are short.*

*I don't know if this is actually true or not.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Shrink raysssssssssss!

13 million of them live within the London metropolitan area.

japan on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guys it was just Cat using 'dudes' in a gender-neutral fashion. She's already explained herself, let's move on. It's not always about sexism with her, ok?

Good grief.

Except that word's not remotely related to anyone's objection. I, at least, am accusing her of calling people hypocrites without proof, not of being sexist or calling people sexist.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

And yet her problem was with the quote tree, and through it the "dudes" posting in it. Its also not overly surprising you don't see an issue with it.

Huh?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Wow that's pretty racist, Shadow.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Good night!

I have a suspicion it's a combination of 'cism and gender.

Which would make it a fairly stupid term.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Shrink raysssssssssss!

They are all on the government dime too, I don't know who works over there in england, but he's probably pissed off he's the only guy.

I certainly am.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah Japan is totally crazy (not you Japan).

The first time I learned to googlemaps I looked at a satellite view of Japan and saw a city that went from one coast to the other coast. That is what it looked like.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Good night!

I have a suspicion it's a combination of 'cism and gender.

Which would make it a fairly stupid term.

Cis/trans. They're pre-fixes that are used for other things, too.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Shrink raysssssssssss!

This explains why so many Brits are short.*

*I don't know if this is actually true or not.

It is not. Japan and I are both over seven foot.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Huh?

Her post specifically said she had issues with the quote tree after using the term dudes. That brings an implied meaning to the dudes in question being Preacher, Feral and Japan.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    married_with_children_no_ma_am_t.jpg

I hereby bring this meeting of NO MA'AM to order.

Japan, read the minutes of the last meaning.

Kagera on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kids aren't an excuse for working shorter hours, they're require things. And what do you think parents are doing when they leave to attend to them? I can assure you they're not sitting on their asses eating bonbons, and there's a good chance they'd actually rather be at work than stuck in traffic trying to make it to the childcare centre or school.

I think your frustration is making you unreasonably judgemental of the demands parenting takes on one's time, and I think you of all people should be perceptive enough to understand that the structure of the workplace and the way we run our lives outside of work create these conflicts. Its not parents trying to screw you over by spawning as an excuse to slack off.

But anyway, I'm going to work now. At 9:15, because I can.

I'm frustrated that being a nonparent basically makes me a second-class citizen. No personal calls allowed at work... unless you're a parent. No working from home... unless you have kids to take care of. No tardiness... unless you have to drop your kids off at school. No leaving work early... unless you have to pick them up from school. Leave your personal issues at home... unless you have to bring your kids in one day because your nanny called in sick.

They're clear, flagrant, discriminatory double standards. My feelings of frustration are entirely warranted.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Shrink raysssssssssss!

I certainly am.

I need to write a sketch for one of your comedy shows about the lone guy working. It can go on too long ruin the joke and not be really funny, an instant classic.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    japan wrote: »

Shrink raysssssssssss!

13 million of them live within the London metropolitan area.

I understand the London metropolitan area is extremely large, maps told me this.

Is there a moratorium on building highrises, like there is in Paris? Because there are very few tall buildings in London.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Shrink raysssssssssss!

I certainly am.

I think I'm technically a civil servant.

japan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Warglgarblgarbl.

I think I might do that thing where I light a stick of incense when I start practicing a game and then don't stop until the stick has burned out.

Or just play a game in general.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.