As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach: The Thread! Grifball went live

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll never understand why people are idleing for points.

It's just armour

I mean theres a whole awesome game to play here and they're more worried about having the bestest piece of swag :s.

These are the same people who would buy an xbox account off ebay so they could be a general.

It has nothing to do with the armor.. it's all about that shiny icon. It means they're pro and are therefore part of the "in" crowd.

xzzy on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    fun on nightfall

"Have you met my friend here? He's kinda shy."
    76691_465053703490_591043490_5459245_4136690_n.jpg

148829_465054158490_591043490_5459247_6196299_n.jpg

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a reason I basically just stick to Team Slayer now. Fewer shenanigans, no voting for crappy game types, and people tend to actually play the game.

Not that it's without it's problems.

Also, last night was kind of sublime playing Reach. The general "Hey faggot, you're gay" chatter was down...I couldn't quite place why, then I realized BLOPS released yesterday.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't pay attention when I played yesterday - did the "number of players online" tally go down significantly?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If your playing Reach and not playing with the PA guys, I honestly can't comment on your game experience either, playing with a full team of "friends/friendly folk" all with mics and playing with randoms is night and day.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So Gruntpocalypse on Beachhead using only the Ghost is a pretty fun way to play.

EDIT: Ahahaha David that screenshot is BRILLIANT.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Strafing back and forth makes the Needler useless while still giving you plenty of space to Needle Rifle people.

Robot arm makes me angry.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I didn't pay attention when I played yesterday - did the "number of players online" tally go down significantly?

Not significantly. There were still over 200k people playing when I logged off last night in late Central.
    If your playing Reach and not playing with the PA guys, I honestly can't comment on your game experience either, playing with a full team of "friends/friendly folk" all with mics and playing with randoms is night and day.

I haven't added any of the MetaTags because I'm lazy, and none of the PA people on my least play Reach. Plus I am terrible and wouldn't want to bring the team down. I'm not Yoko Ono man, I don't want to break up the band.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    fun on nightfall
    76691_465053703490_591043490_5459245_4136690_n.jpg
    That poor Grunt. He thought he was going out for a quiet birthday dinner with his wife, and then it turns out he's part of the floor show. He is clearly not impressed.

GnomeTank: You can't possibly be worse than I am. Post your GT and I'm sure you'll get in to some PA games before too long. It changes the entire experience.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »

When I was playing later in the evening there was probably a ~10-20k difference tops. Was surprised how close it was to usual.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

GnomeTank: You can't possibly be worse than I am. Post your GT and I'm sure you'll get in to some PA games before too long. It changes the entire experience.

My GT is in my sig :) I'll add the second metatag tonight when I get home.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, that is generous.

The "Kill X" enemies ones aren't too demanding either, so it's like 5500 easy credits today.

That's good news for me, since I'm less than 15K from Lt. Colonel.

Also: Fyrewulff, can we still email you Forge maps, or have you moved on from whatever that was about?

You can still email me maps. It will take a bit to get that project going, since it will be a site where all of us can "log in" and change/add maps we've made to the site so PA people can more easily get maps tested and shared. I just have to figure out what is going to be handling the login system.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to be playing until I'm a bit past Colonel Grade 2 tonight (just 40.000 Cr left! D:) so feel free to join me if you're online.

Gnome: I felt the same way back when I first started playing H3 with PA people, you should stick around for a while and see how it goes, nobody here gives a shit if you suck at the game.

Sent you a friend request, by the way.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Wow, that is generous.

The "Kill X" enemies ones aren't too demanding either, so it's like 5500 easy credits today.

That's good news for me, since I'm less than 15K from Lt. Colonel.

Also: Fyrewulff, can we still email you Forge maps, or have you moved on from whatever that was about?

You can still email me maps. It will take a bit to get that project going, since it will be a site where all of us can "log in" and change/add maps we've made to the site so PA people can more easily get maps tested and shared. I just have to figure out what is going to be handling the login system.
    Ok, cool.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Haha. I had a game two days ago in which I just had zero kills until the last minute of the game, wherein I proceeded to get three kills, then fall to my doom on Pinnacle twice.

That was probably the worst game of Halo I've ever played.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I had a match last night where I thought I'd be clever and jetpack through the man cannon on the Cage.

I shot right past the landing point, kept going up, completely blew past the grenade launcher spawn (which would have been my last chance at saving myself) and eventually hit the kill zone. The map was hopelessly far away by the time I died.

I put away the jetpack and used sprint from then on.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    feather the jetpack right before you land and you can land right on grenade launcher. It takes a bit of practice.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was well beyond the point where any kind of feathering would have saved me.

Not quite comical enough to make a film clip out of it, but I thought it was pretty funny how effectively I shot myself out of the map.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's pretty funny.

What I don't like about The Cage is how, with sprint, if you sprint up the ramp towards the grenade launcher and the health pack and don't slow yourself down (coming from the side where the mancannon drops you), it's very easy to just shoot off the side and fall to your doom.

Learned that the hard way.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's even worse with evade.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's a video of 3 guys in a row rolling up the hill to the GL and flying off the map...

heckels on
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Evade does that on a lot of maps. I've had to train myself not to evade as often on Pinnacle.

Although I am at a loss to why there aren't any railings on the landing pad at the far side.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Had a great match last night of BTB Slayer on Hemorrhage. Right off the bat we lost several vehicles and all of their vehicles rode right up to our base and started kicking the shit out of us while destroying any vehicles as they respawned. We finally fought them off but were down like 35-10. Ended up losing, but it was 75-70, so we came pretty close to pulling out the victory.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate the cage. I think that's the map that I consistently perform the worst in. It's just... ugh.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    feather the jetpack right before you land and you can land right on grenade launcher. It takes a bit of practice.

love doing the long flight from the mountain on paradiso to take out tanks on the beaches. if you time it well enough when the tank is too occupied with ground forces you just float your way over and drop in for an easy tank kill.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    iamabeiamabe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like The Cage because you can get some pretty great map coverage from several different points, especially with jetpacks (though I haven't played it since the updated killzones... can you still chill out on the top of the towers?) I always go for the grenade launcher, EMP from above and then pick off with the DMR. The GL / DMR is like an evolution of the plasma pistol / magnum combo, but a bit more stylish since no one seems to ever grab the GL. That, and the GL seems to spawn very frequently, since it's nearly there every time I pass it. I don't quite get the disdain for that map but I guess it comes down to different playstyles.

I added aPaReachMulti2 to my friends list and am waiting for a reply. What happens next? Is that gamertag a group that will add everyone else's gamertag to my friendlist? I'm looking forward to playing some multi-team, or whatever really. Custom games too... I have yet to really play around in forge world at all.

iamabe on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So here is a pretty cool stockpile game on Trips (a map I made yesterday). It helps you understand the layout of the map better, though I never went into either of the high towers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rE9DcR3jww

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So how do you get the link to bungie.net challenge today?

Because I'm pretty certain I'm linked, and it's not popping.

Leitner on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

It pops immediately after you go into matchmaking.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »

It pops immediately after you go into matchmaking.

But play a full game just to be sure it's recorded. I exited out immediately last time and the awarded credits were gone when I signed on the next day.

Whether it's a glitch or my fault, don't know, don't care. But I imagine playing a game improves the odds of success.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Watching the BLOPS thread and looking at all the "God damn this netcode is fucking horrible, christ" posts made me hug my Reach box.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reach's netcode seems to be just about the best I've ever encountered in a game. Lag which is both detrimental and noticeable is practically non-existent and you don't end up with games getting shut down early because the host drops out.

I have an easier time reliably getting good connections automatically thanks to Reach's netcode than I do with PC games which use dedicated servers and let me filter them by connection preferences.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lag which is both detrimental and noticeable is practically non-existent...

except in firefight matchmaking and coop campaign...

heckels on
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Halo games have always played well when things are good.. when it gets bad though, it's REALLY bad.

I haven't had any "stare at a black screen for 5 minutes" like Halo 3 had, but every once in a while you run into a guy who's got a red bar and he's throwing grenades out of his ass or teleporting all over the place.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Or like in halo 2 where you would run for awhile then it would jump back to where you were and you are just running into a wall...

heckels on
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    heckels wrote: »
    Lag which is both detrimental and noticeable is practically non-existent...

except in firefight matchmaking and coop campaign...

Yeah, I've only ever played one game of Firefight Matchmaking and I've never played the Coop campaign through Matchmaking. I'd rather just play them without Matchmaking with friends and no cR than end up with pubs. For me, the only place the connections really matter are all competitive multiplayer gametypes.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Reach's netcode seems to be just about the best I've ever encountered in a game. Lag which is both detrimental and noticeable is practically non-existent and you don't end up with games getting shut down early because the host drops out.

I have an easier time reliably getting good connections automatically thanks to Reach's netcode than I do with PC games which use dedicated servers and let me filter them by connection preferences.

I think they mentioned in the podcast that Reach netcode uses 40-50% less bandwidth than Halo 3's.

That's a pretty impressive reduction.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yea if there is a challenge that can only be done in coop firefight or matchmaking I refuse to do it...even it if was worth a million credits, its not worth the anger it causes me...

heckels on
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    heckels wrote: »
    Yea if there is a challenge that can only be done in coop firefight or matchmaking I refuse to do it...even it if was worth a million credits, its not worth the anger it causes me...

The target designator one came up last week.. I took a look at it, kind of sat there for a minute, and asked myself "is it worth it?"

I eventually decided "no".

xzzy on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Halo games have always played well when things are good.. when it gets bad though, it's REALLY bad.

I haven't had any "stare at a black screen for 5 minutes" like Halo 3 had, but every once in a while you run into a guy who's got a red bar and he's throwing grenades out of his ass or teleporting all over the place.

I love it (sarcasm) when the latency is so bad that I throw a grenade and I'm like, "one, Two FINALLY! THERES THE GRENADE!"

Viscountalpha on
This discussion has been closed.