As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SPRING [Fashion]

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    and definitely don't "size up." it doesn't make you look thinner - it just makes you look fat and sloppy.

Yep. Baggy clothes just make people look bigger than they really are.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Fred Savage Power GloveFred Savage Power Glove Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I bought recently an old-fashioned 32 oz. wool pea coat from Schott. Apparently they used to make these for the US Navy back in WWII.
    Pic:
    50_45.jpg
    Regardless, I wanted something that would actually keep me warm, and those jackets in the OP seem a little flimsy for the average winter up here. The fabric on this thing is like armor plating.

Yes, this.

Find your local army/navy store and see what they've got. That's what I plan on doing here shortly.

Fred Savage Power Glove on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I like that coat that is allegedly $$$. The one after it is terrible because pretty much nobody looks good in that shade of gray.

No. Nobody.

You over there? The one saying he actually looks good in that color? No, you don't.

coppery-red hair, pale skin. it works for me!

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Does it hurt? Is there a slight itching where the being-correct should be?

Yeah, wow. I can't think of someone that color grey would look worse on.

That's... that's just awful.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Hooray, welcome back Fashion thread!

I've been meaning to ask you something kind of embarrassing. I feel like I'm finally growing up and dislike how boxers fit my body, and want to graduate to boxer briefs. In the words of Ze Frank, I want to "combine the adjustment strap technology of the boxer with the fertility reduction of the brief", and boxers just don't do it for me any more.

I have a few pair of Hanes bb's, but they're boring. I was wondering where I should shop to find them with nice colors/patterns? The ones at Macy's were either the boring Hanes kind, or had stupid designs plastered on the fabric/waistband. So where do I go?

Just google for men's underwear, there are a ton of stores online that sell whatever kind of joxers you want.

Target also has good athletic ones.

adytum on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I bought recently an old-fashioned 32 oz. wool pea coat from Schott. Apparently they used to make these for the US Navy back in WWII.
    Pic:
    50_45.jpg
    Regardless, I wanted something that would actually keep me warm, and those jackets in the OP seem a little flimsy for the average winter up here. The fabric on this thing is like armor plating.

Yes, this.

Find your local army/navy store and see what they've got. That's what I plan on doing here shortly.

I dunno. That coat just seems so... big.

I want all of my clothes to be making me look skinnier all the time, and I'm not sure how something like that would fit in. It obviously depends on the ferocity of your winter, though.

MrMister on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On the vacation from which I just returned late Monday night I scored a sweet Korean War-era trench coat at one of the random antiques stores we stopped at on our long drive to Missouri.

I'd been looking for a long coat for winter anyway - I'd prefer a greatcoat or pea coat, but for $20 I'll take being warm. Plus it makes me seem rugged.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    adytum wrote: »

I've been meaning to ask you something kind of embarrassing. I feel like I'm finally growing up and dislike how boxers fit my body, and want to graduate to boxer briefs. In the words of Ze Frank, I want to "combine the adjustment strap technology of the boxer with the fertility reduction of the brief", and boxers just don't do it for me any more.

I have a few pair of Hanes bb's, but they're boring. I was wondering where I should shop to find them with nice colors/patterns? The ones at Macy's were either the boring Hanes kind, or had stupid designs plastered on the fabric/waistband. So where do I go?

Just google for men's underwear, there are a ton of stores online that sell whatever kind of joxers you want.

I'll check out Target. The main thing I'm seeing with most of the common brands (TH, CK, Diesel) have garish designs and/or brand names in huge print along the waistband. Like this. Seriously, what is that?

I was hoping someone might know of store that would be a decent source for bb's that aren't so terrible. Like Urban Outfitters or H&M, or somewhere I might not otherwise think to look for bb's at.

Something along the lines of this, maybe.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    contrary to what you have heard, jeff's last name is actually henley

i've been layering up for fall with my casual clothes

button-down, loosened tie, quarter-zip sweater, tweed sport coat, jeans or khakis, leather boots

that kind of thing

You wear a tie when going casual?

Is this an east coast thing?

I actually look pretty good in a tie, but I never wear one because I would look hilariously overdressed everywhere I went.

i wear it kind of jauntily undone

but yeah, it's probably on the preppy side even in boston. i think it looks sharp though and fuck the haters

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    i wear boxer briefs i got at target

they don't have fun patterns but they're comfortable and i mean they're underwear

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Like this. Seriously, what is that?

Jesus, that looks like a shitty photoshop it's so garish.

MrMister on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Long underwear? That really exists? People really wear that?

My mind is fucking blown.

I've already busted out my long underwear for the season, I actually started wearing them in October this year, which is a bit early but fuck it's been cold where I live in MT lately. Next up will be the insulated jeans. I've been wearing my Carhartt coat since September. Oh and don't forget the wool socks, been rocking those for a few weeks as well.

I'm always, always, colder than everyone around me though. And usually bust out the warm wear earlier and put it away later than everyone I know.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Long underwear? That really exists? People really wear that?

My mind is fucking blown.

They're comfy enough, and there's a point when it becomes a choice between wearing long underwear and freezing your legs off. Besides, it's underwear, so who cares how stylish they are?

On a tangent, nothing's more amusing than seeing people to whom looking stylish is more important than being warm in winter. These are the types that refuse to wear heavy coats over thinner form-fitting ones and probably have never even heard of long underwear. They usually stand by bus stops in near-hypothermia while us fashion pariahs are nice and warm right next to them.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a peacoat from express and a leather and wool bomber for when its 20 below freezing and I'm going to be digging mycar out for 25 minutes. Works wonders. I usually just keep the bomber in my trunk. Switch to the peacoat to look more fashionable.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Long underwear? Awesome. Especially to lounge about in when no one is around. Personal favorite is long underwear + atheletic shorts. Warm and inoffensive.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just inherited an old brown Yamaha Leather motorcycle jacket from my girlfriend's uncle. It is at least 20 years old and I have been wanting a leather jacket for the longest time. It is excellent.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am noticing as I go through my stuff that I've bought a fair amount of things in the past that are absolutely huge on me

not like, I lost weight and now they're huge, they were just huge period

like pants that two of me fit in etc

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    adytum wrote: »

I'll check out Target. The main thing I'm seeing with most of the common brands (TH, CK, Diesel) have garish designs and/or brand names in huge print along the waistband. Like this. Seriously, what is that?

I was hoping someone might know of store that would be a decent source for bb's that aren't so terrible. Like Urban Outfitters or H&M, or somewhere I might not otherwise think to look for bb's at.

Something along the lines of this, maybe.

Diesel does (or at least, did) make colorful pairs like that. But do you really want to pay $40 / pair for underwear? I spend a ton on clothes and even I think that's ridiculous.

adytum on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    podly's winter ensemble =

these boots (in black)

steve-madden-boots-lagger-dark-brown.jpg3

+ basically this jacket

leather-jacket1.jpg

with this hoodie underneath

american+apparel+faded+black+hoodie.jpg

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I'm consistently getting compliments about being 'the best dress guy on campus' and it's funny how much more respect people give me. Thank you fashion thread for making me look like a respectful guy.

Now I want to get a nice pea coat. Any opinions on this?

http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=5&parent=1

Also, boots, is the Redwing gentleman traveler a good buy? Will they hold up? Do they need constant waterproofing?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I'm consistently getting compliments about being 'the best dress guy on campus' and it's funny how much more respect people give me. Thank you fashion thread for making me look like a respectful guy.

Also, boots, is the Redwing gentleman traveler a good buy? Will they hold up? Do they need constant waterproofing?
    If I remember correctly, Sterlingwear makes the current US Navy pea coats, so you should be safe there. It seems that this model has 24 oz. wool, which means that it'll be somewhat lighter(read: less warm and more form-fitting) than my Schott pea coat. At that thickness, it should still be a very warm coat, and the quality should be up to snuff since Sterlingwear supplies the military.

Essentially the difference is that Schott has 32 oz wool with 8 visible buttons(older style), while Sterlingwear has 24 oz wool with 6 buttons. Both should be better than the designer pea coats that float around for three or four times the price, since they are unvariably cut fashionably and made with thinner material. They probably look a little better on you, but won't last as long and are nowhere near as warm.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

i like my RW GTs a lot. I took them to greenland when i was deployed there, and they're my go-to footwear for casual dress in fall and spring walking around the city. they're at the perfect place at that casual-rugged-dressy continuum IMO. i have the burgundy ones.

they're not heavy-duty enough to really get through a boston winter IMO, but they're fine for anything less than trudging around in shin-deep snow and slush

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I need a good pair of fashionable and rugged boots for the Ohio winters. I have a pair of doc martens at the moment which while they work decently they have problems with grip and warmth. Fact is i've had them for perhaps six years or maybe longer now and they still shine up to look like new. Seriously a well made item i can't say the same thing for any other shoes I own.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    every pair of docs i've owned (and i have owned a lot of pairs of docs) have the soles give out within a year of regular use, and they can't be resoled

so i stopped buying them.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I bought a pair of docs, uh, six years ago and they are still in good shape sole wise. Only really use them in the fall and winter though.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I can't recommend Red Wings enough. Wolverine makes a damn fine heavy-duty boot if you live in a horrible winter climate like I do.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    every pair of docs i've owned (and i have owned a lot of pairs of docs) have the soles give out within a year of regular use, and they can't be resoled

so i stopped buying them.

This. I've been wearing some Doc boot shoes for work, started there in July. I've been able to practically watch the soles fall apart daily. The webbing on the bottom is coming off and I'll be out of sole by July or so.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    podly's winter ensemble =

these boots (in black)

steve-madden-boots-lagger-dark-brown.jpg3

+ basically this jacket

leather-jacket1.jpg

with this hoodie underneath

american+apparel+faded+black+hoodie.jpg

Oh yeah well my hoodie looks like this.

Corvus wrote: »
    I bought a pair of docs, uh, six years ago and they are still in good shape sole wise. Only really use them in the fall and winter though.

Sounds kind of like the Chrome sneakers I bought, they are THE WORST. Sure they look fucking awesome, and I've gotten more compliments off them than any shoe I own, but the sole is flaking off in layers around the edges.

In addition the little stripe of color around the sole is coming unglued, and separating from the shoe in spots; but at least I can repair that with rubber cement/shoe goo.

I mean, I expect rubber that has been glued to rubber to fail. I live in San Francisco, I use public transit and I walk a lot. Vans are notorious for that, they have an excellent, durable sole, but there's always a thinnish strip of rubber around the edge that goes the full way around the sole and connects to the upper materials that never fails to separate from the sole, but you just slip some adhesive in there and you're good to go.

What I don't expect is rubber that is made so poorly that it flakes off of itself. There's no way to repair it when it does this either.

If I ever have the extra money floating around I may buy a pair of the hightops to see if maybe I got a defective pair, because they do look excellent and like I said, they're spiffy shoes that people have noticed. But goddamn, it is frustrating when four months after you buy a pair of shoes, alternating wear with several other pairs of shoes, they become unwearable and unrepairable. And it's not like they're cheap either, they retail for $70 even though I picked them up for less than $50 at their 15th Anniversary Sale.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ah, just had a look, my Docs are from before production was moved to China, might account for their better durability.

Corvus on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Sadly no student at my university has a chance of winning that because the library archivist has that shit on lockdown
    25126_106168179417801_104964079538211_101592_6713359_n.jpg
    he's 1920's pimping

On an unrelated note, my bag is starting to die and i need a new laptop bag. Could anybody recommend some stylish looking messenger satchels /laptop bags or brands i should take a look at?

My laptop is 15" and i'd like to avoid shiny leather as it'd probably going to cop a reasonable amount of punishment in its life.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Sadly no student at my university has a chance of winning that because the library archivist has that shit on lockdown

On an unrelated note, my bag is starting to die and i need a new laptop bag. Could anybody recommend some stylish looking messenger satchels /laptop bags or brands i should take a look at?

My laptop is 15" and i'd like to avoid shiny leather as it'd probably going to cop a reasonable amount of punishment in its life.

HOE-LEE-SHEE-IT

That man is dapper as fuck and has to get all the ladies

• Options
    edited November 2010

Chrome bag? Come in a lot of colors, waterproof as fuck (assuming you don't like, submerge it), lifetime warranty, made in Chico, CA.

I know I just talked a lot of shit about their shoes, but those fuckers are made in China. The bag I wanted to buy that originally got me into the store is nothing short of fantastic, and I love the way the weight is distributed over my sternum instead of on my back and shoulders.

I like it so much I want to get a larger one down the line for serious carrying and travelling (only bought the Mini Metro and an integrated Neoprene Sleeve for my Macbook).

Also they have seat belt buckles as a quick release for the strap. Who doesn't like that?

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags.html

Fagatron on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I like the Swedish brand Sandqvist. They have a few nice bags, both leather and canvas, at decent prices. I think they are available in the states via web retail. I have this one myself, obviously not as a laptop bag though. It's pretty good so far, although the zipper has been acting up a bit lately.

Stolly on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's also a variety of Timbuk2 bags that would work, either with a laptop compartment or with a sleeve. They are common as hell in the Bay Area, though

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's also a variety of Timbuk2 bags that would work, either with a laptop compartment or with a sleeve. They are common as hell in the Bay Area, though

Timbuk2 bags aren't that stylish though, if you ask me.

Although, to be fair, it might be old age, but my idea for a casual yet nice looking briefcase is more along the lines of the bag behid the cut.
    72-1.jpg

Stolly on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

That's not likely to be a big issue for me considering i'm in Australia not the Bay Area.

Edit: I think i'm going to go with a Chrome bag, the style fits with my usual look and i've found a place in Australia that sells them, so i can avoid tacking $60 shipping onto the price tag.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That dude is awesome. I want to be him.

Where is that bag from? I very rarely like the look of bags, but that one definitely appeals to me.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited November 2010

25126_106168179417801_104964079538211_101592_6713359_n.jpg
    he's 1920's pimping

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/79-Briefcases/products/1655-Leather-Briefcase-Chestnut

these are gorgeous, though it depends on your budget

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That is beautiful and it makes my wallet cry.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They also have a slightly imperfect version of that bag for $50 less.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/95-Dave-s-Deals/products/3867-Leather-Briefcase-Large-Chestnut-DDC-

Beautiful stuff Will, thanks for linking that site.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That is beautiful and it makes my wallet cry.

MrMister on