As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadowrun(OOC)

RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
THE GAME IS FULL.

That's right. Having seen the Gredavin thread, and having recently bought another Shadowrun book that has revived my love for all things Shadowrun. So I wanna run a play by post game in this very forum. I've GMed for Exalted before, but that's it and I have enough Shadowrun books to choke a horse. (Not a large horse, but still, that shetland pony is going down).

So I need to know, If I want to run a SR game in this forum, are people interested?

This game will be using SR 4 rules, with the point build system. 500 points. 70 points allowable for equipment. Normal edges and flaws rules apply. And I will be applying flaws, so if you take em, expect em to get used (if your addicted to alcohol expect to see bottles like crazy, etc). SR Companion Flaws can also be applied (if you want enemies or other background effects).

Looking for a team of 6 characters. Combat skills required but not more than one skill required, though multiple skills are just fine. Deckers and Mages and just about anything in the rules okay. Non-standard races as dictated by the Companion. The work will be bodyguarding/security but will branch into other areas as the game goes along and the plot develops.

It's play by post rules, four-posts a week minimum in the IC thread.
If you can't do that, please don't apply.

This post will be edited with updates.

And I have a request, does anybody have a good dicerolling system that would work with SR.

Players:

1. Lardalish (Elven Adept Assassin).
2. Chincymcchilla ( Troll, Walking instrument of death and destruction)
3. WHY (Sioux ex-wildcat, Mohawk)
4. Chrysis (Rigger)
5. Cosmic Sombrero (Mage and demo expert)
6. Devoutly Apathetic. (Conjurer and Face)
(List based on those who said they would play no matter what the setting and who had the rulebook, to those who didn't make it I say: Seriously, I love you guys, and thanks for the interest. Keep the SR FLAMES BURNING. If this game dies in the market like Trinity did I will drown my sorrows in beer and, well beer.).

And for those who've asked more about the setting. Here is the sitrep.

You're in the Dallas-Ft Worth Megaplex assigned to babysit some high corp muckity-muck (VEVP (step down from EVP, above VP) in charge of market research). Fresh-faced corp bastard has had some threats against him and has gone to his handlers for security again and again.

The handlers have called out the dogs again and again (KE the first few times, Wolverine security after that), but they're tired of it. Why? Because the threat has never materialized. Security waltzes out there, sits on their fat corp cop butts for weeks, drawing contract pay and finds nothing. Nothing happens.

So this time, the corp (Shiawase) told the corper that security would be a waste of "Valuable resources" for a low "Cost/Benefit ratio" So the VEVP went to his own funds and stocks, and had you guys flown in.

You were prepared to blow the guy off at first, despite the nice pay-rate (and it is nice..... 700 nuyen per man/ per day. Minor Expenses included for necessary use items, basically ammo, nades, room and board, and contact bribes are reimbursed by the employer). But something struck you as VEVP described what had him so spooked.

The threats were written on pieces of flesh and nailed to his front door. Not gate. The intruder actually got past the gate and up to his front door. Without being detected by normal security or the security patrolling the ritzy area the VEVP lives in. That intrigued you. When the EVP described having the flesh analyzed and the analysis coming back as HUMAN FLESH. That set off alarms. Different humans each time, but each time a huge chunk of skin and even some of the muscle under is nailed to the door with an obscure threat. "Darkness comes, and with it screams. And none shall pass but have withstood hunger's wrath." Same message, different people (for the skin).

Nothing has happened beyond that each time, so the corp wrote if off as a crazy stalker. But the corp suit is still scared. And another piece of flesh was just nailed to the door two days ago. And no security is coming, except for what the EVP can hire himself.

Which is why you're here. The setup is not necessarily team of people who've worked with each other. But everybody knows each other, if not from working together, then from reputation. You guys work in high-class, high-security for high-muckity mucks (that's not all you do, guys like Lardalish do other things, but he's still had some experience guarding people instead of ventilating them). Its not THAT big of a field. Especially when it comes to "private contractors" You decided to take the job. That was yesterday. Today is the first full day of work.

Rchanen on

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yay SR.

Blegh PbP.

but I am somewhat interested.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    Yay SR.

Blegh PbP.

but I am somewhat interested.

I know, but I have a wacky schedule and cannot always be online to do chat based-rpg. Furthermore I have done chat-based rpg's before and somebody always, and I MEAN ALWAYS fails to show up. Not consistently, but still...

So PbP. It slows the game down, but it keeps people's lives from killing the game.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I know jack about Shadowrun 4th.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I might be interested (I would have to read over the rules, though, I've got the book but never actually played :))

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Don't worry starting time for actually playing would be this Sunday or later. So you've got some days to mull it over, while still having enough time to whip up a character.

And Gaddez, SR 4 is like the point buy system from the SR companion, but with different point values. Alteration on skills as well but if need be we'll get to that. (You should still buy the book though. Don't let SR die!).

Rchanen on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am interested, but I have never played SR (Ive got the 4th ed book and have read alot of it) or a PbP. Though I do have several years of D&D under my belt, I think I could pick it up pretty fast.

Basically Im asking if someone with no experience would be welcome.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lardalish wrote:
    I am interested, but I have never played SR (Ive got the 4th ed book and have read alot of it) or a PbP. Though I do have several years of D&D under my belt, I think I could pick it up pretty fast.

Yah. Read the opening post. I've never DM'ed for SR before. You're green. I'm green. We're all green together. Just give it your best shot.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rchanen wrote:
    Lardalish wrote:

Yah. Read the opening post. I've never DM'ed for SR before. You're green. I'm green. We're all green together. Just give it your best shot.

Ah, well I didnt know what Exalted was, I guessed it was a SR of some sort.

Ok, cool, well I started making an assasin adept, though not sure if he sounds right for this campaign. Ill get back to reading the rules and all and make someone.

Also, how does PbP work? Do we type out an action and all the rolls that should acompany it and then you tell us if we succed? (plus RP acompanying it of course)

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lardalish wrote:
    Rchanen wrote:
    Lardalish wrote:

Ah, well I didnt know what Exalted was, I guessed it was a SR of some sort.

Ok, cool, well I started making an assasin adept, though not sure if he sounds right for this campaign. Ill get back to reading the rules and all and make someone.

Also, how does PbP work? Do we type out an action and all the rolls that should acompany it and then you tell us if we succed? (plus RP acompanying it of course)

You type out the action and the RP in the IC thread. We handle the rolls in the OOC thread, and I anounce the results in the IC thread, in a long post. Gredavin is pretty much handling it like I want to take it. So if you read the two star:wars legacy threads, you'll get an idea of where I'd love to take this.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Good luck with this, SR is a main game of mine (3rd edition though) and I'll keep tabs on it. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ok, so I read some of the two star wars threads, and it sounds like to do this you only need a base knowledge of the rules and what all is possible. So I think I'll be fairly good to go. I think I can describe what I want to do pretty well.

Ill officially put myself up for this game and continue to read the 4ed book.

Also, the unlucky flaw doesnt seem right for the cost. Do you use edge alot?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    FreejackFreejack Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    I GM'd SR 1/2 years ago (and Paranoia, and a lot of D&D). I'm ramping up a weekly SR TT game in the area if I can find anyone (got two live ones now with different schedules).

I'd be interested in playing a PBP. SR4 green too and I'd like to try a Hacker char. I'll have to refresh on the rules real quick though for more details.

Let me know if I'm accepted. I'll be trying my hand at genning a char in the mean time.

Thanks.

Carl

Freejack on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, I'll give it a go. What's the general location?

I shall be playing an ex-soldier-ish street sam.

Edit: and looking at the rules again, I have just learned that I seem to be able to take cyberweaponry without necessarily needing a cyberlimb to put it in.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm interested as well, Never played a TT RPG before, so it should be interesting. Would probably be looking at some sort of ex-cop PI type cliche if I get involved.

Edit: Although a mechanic/driver could be good fun.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am rather interested as well. I have not been able to play any SR yet but my co-GM for DnD (we switch off every few months) picked up the book a while back and I read through it salivating.

I will likely be able to borrow that semi permantly and would love to have a go at it. 4 posts a week is cake to do as well.

Definately would need a bit more info on setting as to what we are doing, and would need to ask a bit about character creation, since it is a amazingly neat system with more poteintal for variety at start then DnD by far.

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Me

Oh God me

I was thinking I'd read through the 4th ed rules for nothing here. I've made several characters, but I'd like to play a Hermetic Mage if at all possible.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lardalish wrote:

Either you do, or you don't. Edge can be a very handy thing if you have lots of it, but if you don't, it is not too useful.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lardalish wrote:

Either you do, or you don't. Edge can be a very handy thing if you have lots of it, but if you don't, it is not too useful.

Would it be considered going against the spirit of the game if I intentionally took a low edge and that quality? Also taking sensetive system and being an adept?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    DraugDraug Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Several of the sample characters do stuff like that, so it shoudn't be a problem. GM's call, though.

I might be interested, but it really depends on what and where.

Draug on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I should be able to handle to handle a slower paced PbP game with my stupid schedule. I'm definitely in if you still have room.

I tend towards magic-y characters. In pre-4 I've gone shaman most often since I like conjuring things but I may try hermetic with the new rules.

Any concept for setting/themes?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I'm pretty curious about the specifics of the setting.

I'm pretty much done. Just because, I shall be a Mohawk, former Sioux Wildcat.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Players list updated. Sitrep added. Post or PM character sheets by Saturday (late) if you would guys. Thanks in advance.

Flaws that you don't intend to use are fine. I'll still find a way to screw you with em :twisted: . After all, if it didn't come back to bite you in your ass it wouldn't a) be Shadowrun, b) be a Flaw.

Also I reserve the right to change the corp the VEVP works for. Dallas-Fort Worth is the setting and little else will change. Including the terms of your employment, unless the sitrep changes, of course. :twisted:

Oh. No emoticons or sigs in the IC thread if you please. Use em all you want here, but in there, text, text, text. But I doubt I really have to tell you guys that.

Furthermore about the client. He's a normal human, with combat paralysis, 2 Body, and light armor (2 ballistic/ 2 impact) in his clothing. DO NOT expect him to soak a lot of damage. He's frail. Since you're his bodyguards, plan accordingly.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Of the other two players are either of you considering being a face/social dude? I can probably do some of that as well but I quite often do that and if anybody wants to cover that base I wouldn't want to steal your thunder.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Of the other two players are either of you considering being a face/social dude? I can probably do some of that as well but I quite often do that and if anybody wants to cover that base I wouldn't want to steal your thunder.

Cosmic Sombrero was going mage. And Chrysis may be going rigger. You are actually the first to mention face.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rchanen wrote:

Cosmic Sombrero was going mage. And Chrysis may be going rigger. You are actually the first to mention face.

I'd skimmed a section of the thread at work and missed that. I was looking at going face as a kind of secondary role while focusing strongly on conjuring. (I almost always make characters who can do at least two things in SR.)

Cosmic Sombrero, is this going to bother you? Do you think we'll be stepping on each others toes so to speak?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I think I've made my intentions of being the groups' bullet-magnet known.

But, being a cybered-up monster who spends a lot of his time living out of his van-fulla-guns doesn't leave much towards being a charismatic type.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've decided I will go with some sort of Rigger/Mechanic type chap. I'm going to be out of town this weekend and won't be able to do anything from Friday night till sometime Monday, so I hope that doesn't interfere. I also live in New Zealand, so I'm kind of pleased it's Play By Post. Hopefully I'll get a char sheet in by Saturday, and it won't have too many problems with it.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Chrysis wrote:
    I've decided I will go with some sort of Rigger/Mechanic type chap. I'm going to be out of town this weekend and won't be able to do anything from Friday night till sometime Monday, so I hope that doesn't interfere. I also live in New Zealand, so I'm kind of pleased it's Play By Post. Hopefully I'll get a char sheet in by Saturday, and it won't have too many problems with it.

No problem. The others will probably post enough and with PbP we can wait. Its not a high paced game. Make sure you post when you get the chance.

Oh and your gonna love the car you'll probably be driving the client in. Say hello to armor plating and goodbye to manuverability. And partially goodbye to speed. The classic armored limo. Try to drive it fast.... hah. Quick cornering hah. Heavy Pistol round without apds even making a scratch on it... hah. I'll post stats in this thread towards saturday.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sounds like Fun! I'm going to pimp my own ride a little, just in case :D
    Is the limo big enough to fit everyone in? And will I be able to dive it? :D

Am I right in assuming the 200BP limit to attributes still applies?

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Chrysis wrote:

Nope. 250 BP limit with 500 BP build. Limit is half the build points, IIRC. And I'm sure I do.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You are still taking more people? If so, I'm in. If not, meh.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rchanen wrote:
    Chrysis wrote:

Nope. 250 BP limit with 500 BP build. Limit is half the build points, IIRC. And I'm sure I do.

Standard limits on availability? I think it's 12R or somesuch?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rchanen wrote:
    Chrysis wrote:

Yup.

I was about to complain about how I couldn't spend all 500BP on useful things, and then I re-read that particular passage in the book.

And all was good.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ok, I hate to be the green guy who doesnt know what he's doing, but I think I am. Would anyone be willing to help me get my character in order over AIM or somethin? I wont be able to untill around 4pm eastern today, but that would be great. Mostly I need help with equipment, with a whole new damage system I dont know whats good and whats crap.

I think I could get it all by myself, but I dont know if I could get it all by saturday.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    http://daegann.free.fr/programmes/programmes.php

http://pavao.org/shadowrun/index.html

Just to link these again. They are rather helpful.

And I'm not too sure how much I can help.

Considering that I only last night got how cyberlimbs work.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I dont see a section labled Equipment, so what are those 70 points for? Guns and armor of course, but do contacts and magical resources count for that too?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Holy fuck, 500 BP?

Jesus

Anyway, Devout, I don't really have a problem with you being a Mage. If it's a big deal, I'll change. If not, no problem. Anyway, I'm going for a more Combat oriented style of play.

I'm still figuring out how to host my character, but yeah. I'm taking some points in Demolitions if that helps you at all.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Anyway, Devout, I don't really have a problem with you being a Mage. If it's a big deal, I'll change. If not, no problem. Anyway, I'm going for a more Combat oriented style of play.

If you're cool with it then I'm cool with it. I'm going to focus heavily on spirits/assening and I'm not even certain I'll be taking any actual Combat spells. It sounds like we're good.

t WHY, I was just about to point people to that program. I love it.

Be aware that it can only hold so much equipment. So if you buy a reasonable amount of ammo for a street sam you might run out of room and have stuff get clipped off. All this is as of about 6 months ago, I haven't really used it since then.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I wasn't sure if it'd be a good idea to post all of my character since, y'know, big, but here are my spells.

Spells
    Fireball
    Heal
    Ignite
    Catfall
    Slay [Orc]
    Armor
    Powerbolt
    Control Thoughts
    Detect Enemies
    Petrify
    Physical Barrier
    Reinforce
    Improved Invisibility

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've just realized that, aside from the Ares Alpha, the ability to attatch an underslung grenade launcher is rather conspicuously absent.

Der Waffle Mous on