As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 3: Drake's GOTY

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elena is only one of a small handful of characters I've developed emotional attachment to during a game.

On the same level as characters from film and books.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's looking like I may get a PS3 and Uncharted 2 for Christmas. Should I dive right into 2 or is the story of 1 vital to the experience?

Ceno on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This news has brightened my day considerably. :D

Also, no one should judge UC1 on the demo - the demo is a difficult place to try to drop into the game, and doesn't convey any of the excitement of either the story or the better setpieces. Do yourself a favor and just pick it up and play through it.

Houn on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    It's looking like I may get a PS3 and Uncharted 2 for Christmas. Should I dive right into 2 or is the story of 1 vital to the experience?

2 is better than one (appropriately) but I loved Drake's Fortune and suggest you play through the games in order.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    From Amazon:
    71diM30JtmL._AA1280_.jpg
    712MQ3kgV3L._AA1280_.jpg

And box art:
    A1cQLO64paL._AA1500_.jpg

Now I need to make sure I get a 3D tv before the end of next year.

And some info from Amazon about the setting:
    Nathan Drake's journey will put you through new challenges and take you to stunning locations around the world, from a derelict chateau in France, to the merciless Arabian Dessert.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I say play the first to become to get to know the characters. It really makes playing the 2nd when you see how things pan out. The interactions in the first are great and they're even better in the second when you have some background on each character. More of Sully is always a good thing.

:Edit:

Those pictures are beyond fucking awesome...gonna have to load up the first when I get home from work now....

toolbert on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I have to be that guy and say I haven't enjoyed the box art for the last two and now this games.

I thought there was a illustrated one going around for 2 that was akin to Indiana Jones drawn movie posters.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, they have so much to live up to. For the fear of people never playing the first 2 all I will say is

Train and Hotel. Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Can they top those?

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If this is confirmed as being in 3D I will buy a 3D tv the day before the game comes out.

And live playthrough on Dec 13 on Jimmy Kimmel!

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cropped versions of the pictures Grinch posted (and resizing of the huge cover), which I started working on just before he posted. Damn you Grinch!

4FQ8Z-2.jpg

gnBvJ.jpg

Y3GkD.jpg

CVG also did a dissection of the teaser and the PS EU Blog has high resolution versions of the screens in the OP.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Damn you Grinch!

I may not do the job well, but at least I'm quick!

That's what my wife tells me anyway...

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hoooooo!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damn, those are fucking amazing graphics.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is the first media thing, game or movie or TV show, that has made me wish I owned a 3D TV.

Instead, I might use this weekend to replay Uncharted 2.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    But as with all 3D games, the 3D is just going to bump the resolution down, right?

edit:
    Kyougu wrote: »
    If this is confirmed as being in 3D I will buy a 3D tv the day before the game comes out.

And live playthrough on Dec 13 on Jimmy Kimmel!

Is it Kimmel or Fallon?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Uncharted 3!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What is this I don't even

I don't really buy games, but Uncharted 1 was the first PS3 game I picked up, Uncharted 2 was a Day 1 purchase, and this will be too. Already have a 3D TV to play it on. 8-)

adytum on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like drake gained some more meat.

In the face anyway.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I only played 2, and it was glorious. I can't say anything about 1 except that you can fall in love with 2 wihtout playing 1 at all.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    1 was pretty fun. 2 was funner.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is the thing that I want.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I've got a bit of time before I need to buy another PS3 huh?

That's good.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The website's up:
    http://unchartedthegame.com/

The Kimmel gameplay has been mentioned but I should also point out that Sony's staging a demonstration (probably to "journalists") the day after the VGA's, so we should get plenty of video and impressions.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I could swear they've all been saying Fallon.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really don't see this huge jump in quality from the first to the second that some people apparently do (and absolutely not comparable to the jump from AC1 to AC2)

Uncharted 1 was pretty fantastic throughout; the only things that really felt like they changed for the sequel were better graphics (though the first looked amazing back in '07), better setpieces (I can see why some would grow bored with the tropical setting, not me though) and non-bullet sponge enemies. The actual gunplay and cover system was largely unchanged, and the platforming was identical. The story and characters were just as great throughout, and as others have mentioned, more Sully in the first game. While Uncharted 2 was indeed the better game, it didn't wow me nearly as much as the first one did back at its release. When the glowing reviews came out and all the adorers came out of the woodwork, all I could think was "What did they change so much that grabbed you this time around?"

That said, Uncharted 2 was an amazing experience and after mastering water and snow, I can't wait to see Naughty Dog take on sand.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wonder what villain(s) will be in this title/what will be the supernatural hook. My guess will be something with an Arabic or Egyptian feel with maybe some connection to British colonial archeology.

Maybe some British prick like from 1 whose looking for the lost city as well.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He looks like younger George Bush occasionally.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "What did they change so much that grabbed you this time around?"

Less SixAxis crap, for one. The stealth mechanic actually works, and the scripting isn't as obvious as in the first game. These are some differences. Not necessarily leaps and bounds above the first one but it's enough for me to note.

And graphics were totally better in UC2.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    drake's fortune is my favourite game ever, more favourite than among thieves, because it actually trusted the combat mechanics as being deep enough to satisfy. uncharted 2 is wonderful in almost every way, but it just doesn't have many of those knee-deep-in-gunplay moments that are so amazing to strategically navigate. and as such there are more novel moments that are outrageously fun the first time but become less and less so as you repeat the game. conversely, drake's fortune i can pretty much play through back-to-back for eternity

p.s. i am so excited right now.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I didn't like how they changed Melee for two, I loved charging people with Square, Triangle, Square :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Excuse me, but is this the hype train to more Draketown? Because I'm totally on board.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i actually hope there's no multiplayer beta this time around, because i played the hell out of that, stopped, and never even touched it on the retail disc

not that the multiplayer is the reason i love uncharted, but it was really fun for a bit of team-driven shooting

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You missed out, then. The MP was pretty robust, not including coop missions.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here's an example of something cool in nature they could emulate for their desert environment:

aster_richat_lrg.jpg

The Richat Structure in the Western Sahara, all the way out in Mauritania in Africa. It's visible from space and pretty cool looking, and a lot more cool then the sand dunes surrounding it. Wouldn't it be awesome to see that surrounding an ancient lost city in the desert?
    You missed out, then. The MP was pretty robust, not including coop missions.

It still is robust, it has between 38-40k people playing daily worldwide still, myself included (when I'm not busy with finals :?). I recommend giving it another go.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I have to be that guy and say I haven't enjoyed the box art for the last two and now this games.

I thought there was a illustrated one going around for 2 that was akin to Indiana Jones drawn movie posters.

That would be the Japanese box art
    tumblr_kqu7taJCa01qzurbto1_500.jpg

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

As far as people talking about the differences between the first, I pretty much agree with Bsjezz. The first game, the combat just created a more satisfying feel (I still fondly remember Badass moments from the first one from how I'd managed to take care of certain areas). However, I'm still of the opinion that the second was just the better game. The setpieces were just so far above what the first managed to do, unsurprisingly, so it makes it that much more memorable from the actual game stand-point. But regardless, they're both great and I can't wait until this one.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is it all but confirmed that Elena is back? They did have Emily Rose back in the studio those months ago for...something.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God help me, I love these games. Number 1 reason to own a PS3, for sure. Just knowing that there's a new Uncharted game to wait for is giving me a warm, glowing feeling inside.

And now ... MEDIA BLACKOUT!

This so much. I wonder if I can really do it this time. I still feel like the 2 or 3 best parts of U2 were in those first gameplay trailers. Must . . not . . watch. (I will totally watch).

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i am a complete sucker for anything uncharted

and i don't even own a PS3

thank god for youtube

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I watch movies like The Mummy and I play games like Uncharted, and then I sit back and slowly get depressed as the realism that my life will never, ever be anywhere near that exciting washes over me.

I am super stoked for Uncharted 3. I'm glad that the Adventure genre isn't dead in videogames, even if it is dead in most people's lives.

SmokeStacks on