As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys Musashi was cool and stuff but let's not get all weeaboo in here

There are other examples we can use for dual wielding in a historical context, you know

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MonkeyPantsMonkeyPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    It's weird how excited we all get at dual wielding

Historically it's kind of an impractical method, but it looks damn cool I guess

Some historical figures might disagree with that statement.

He was pretty good at sword stuff too I think.

To be fair, he was good at anything. Didn't he more or less humiliate a guy with an oar?

Yeah he showed up late for a duel and was like oh yeah a sword hang on and got an oar then was like pssh it's good enough. Then he solidly handed the guy his own ass with said oar.
    Damn he's confirmed for bad-ass. Why doesn't a studio/development team make a game featuring him and all his bad-assery? Reminds me of Shintaro Katsu's ZATOICHI films.

Read his book, the Five Rings. It is quite good and applicable to not just swords, but general life.
    I hate current anime but select few older stuff I enjoy. I am in no way a weeaboo.
    Thanks! I've also been looking for the multi-volume for Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the other four historic Chinese books.
    For mods I'd love to see more implemented The Lord of the Rings series based stuff. Movie-series styled but also using Arda stuff from Tolkien. Only been able to use armors/weapons/shield LotR mods instead of location type stuff. Meaning unable to use Darad Dur, Helms Deep, Isengard, Minas Tirith and more. BUT I have been able to use The Shire.
    Oh, other location/game expanders which exits out the game are stuff like Elseweyr and the other one to the west of the map. Any recommendations including BOSS and the other one?

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Did Bethesda mention there'd be mounted combat for SKYRIM? I would've posted this in my previous post but didn't want for it to get too long.
    SKYRIM would be perfect if Beths took everything great about both MORROWIND and OBLIVION, toss out all the worthless shit and just added on to the greatness. Why not? Of course expect mods like always.:wink:

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey look some examples of people who dual wielded

Those people who managed to duel wield and survive were either insanely good at swordplay, very lucky or did not have to fight often, or some combination thereof

For instance, Musashi was very good at swording

Even the link Olivaw posted said, "Guys this style was totally rare and is prohibited at most actual modern sporting events, except for one or two where it's still rare to see somebody actually try it"

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I can't say I'm very hot on dual wielding. If it was limited to a dagger in the offhand, sure, but full-sized weapons in both hands is pretty eeeeeeh.

That said, it's not a significant issue to me. There may well be mods to change it anyway.

Suriko on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well if I'm setting out to slay dragons I'd better as heck be insanely good at swordplay.

And why not? Two is always better than one, unless you were being attacked by two dogs, then you'd wish you had one.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would like to duel wield. Also I hope when you block something you don't get damage, which negates the point of blocking for me anyways. I'm pretty sure that how it worked in Oblivion, you still got a little damage.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh like I said, it's cool. It's just that it was never a very common form of swordplay, but people still geek out about it. I'll probably do it too.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Screw swords. If I can't set off to hunt dragons while duel wielding axes this game will be a failure.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys guys, dual-wielding in a game with dragons, humanoid cats and magic is completely unrealistic and dumb.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Guys guys, dual-wielding in a game with dragons, humanoid cats and magic is completely unrealistic and dumb.
    You're from Mexico. Your argument/suggestion/comment is therefore null and invalid.

How about more of these?
    541542-morwnd_20080113_204646b.png

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Screw swords. If I can set off to hunt dragons while duel wielding axes this game will be a failure.

You have my axe.
    Gal%20Gimli%2003.jpg

all of my axes

Scooter on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I never really hated these guys. Racer plumes can make levitation potions.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ugh, 64-bit is making playing Daggerfall a nightmare. I will make you work, dammit

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ugh, 64-bit is making playing Daggerfall a nightmare. I will make you work, dammit
    Even with DOSBox? Why not create a dual boot with Windows 95/98? Wait might be too complicated.O_o

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dual-wielding is cool and all, but you know what style I want to be really fun for a change?

Unarmed combat.

I just want to feel like I'm playing a D&D monk. Is that too much to ask?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes, you weaboo bastard.
    Actually, no. You should be able to have fun, too.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Even with DOSBox? Why not create a dual boot with Windows 95/98? Wait might be too complicated.O_o

Yeah. I copied everything over from the CD and it finally started up, but I have some weird sound and graphical issues. Then as soon as the actual game starts (past character creation) it gives me error 201 and quits out.

Sucks.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You know what? I want [strike]duel[/strike] dual banjos. No better way to destroy dragons than that.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah. I copied everything over from the CD and it finally started up, but I have some weird sound and graphical issues. Then as soon as the actual game starts (past character creation) it gives me error 201 and quits out.

Sucks.

I've almost completely forgotten how to use DOS. Sucks about that. Pity Bethesda doesn't care about to supporting their older games for new Windows Operating Systems. No, if I were the head of BethSoft, I wouldn't have any support for Mac.:)

What I love most about the TES games are the exploration and freedom to use whatever you want.

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stilts wrote: »
    Dual-wielding is cool and all, but you know what style I want to be really fun for a change?

Unarmed combat.

Killing things with bare hands is both awesome and nasty at the same time. Awesome, because it's your freaking bare hands. Nasty, because of some of the things you HAVE to kill with your bare hands, like giant Spiders, and such. Get some bug guts all over your hands, ewww.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know what? I want [strike]duel[/strike] dual banjos. No better way to destroy dragons than that.

seconded

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

seconded
    I don't really want to make one of those AND MY AXE posts, but that's how this joke works.
    axe1.jpg

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You have my bow.
    botar-3.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If the Botar (tm) can truly be called a musical instrument

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The best in the business use banjos:
    banjo+shotgun.jpg

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stilts wrote: »

Unarmed combat.

The best type of combat.
    comic180.png

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here is the map from the video if anyone is interested:

TtqPV.jpg
    Looks like the map is Zoned. Makes me wonder if they are going to do something slightly more like Morrowind, where exploration is winding, making the area seem larger than it is. ...also perhaps you cannot fast travel to any of the major cities until you explore them.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks like the mountain ranges are going to be the main barriers for travel, which makes sense as long as it's "There's the Himalayas in your path. Go around." instead of New Vegas' "you could walk up that hill but it'd be so harrrrrrd and you're too lazy. Go around. (Also invisible wall teehee)"

Aistan on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    Hence all the joking about dual shields.
    Who's joking? If I'd mentioned it, I would be very serious. I've always wanted to play an RPG that let me run down a hallway dual wielding shields as I bash enemies out of the way. I wrote up an entire design document for a game with a combat system built around letting me do that.

Maybe I'm just weird?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html

Combine dual shield wielding with throwing and wrestling, and you get something like the following:

.... But the shot is blocked!

*name* throws -Iron Shield-! The Spinning -Iron Shield- Strikes the goblin in the chest! The goblins left true rib is broken! The goblins Upper Body is Bruised!

*name* Dodges the attack of the goblin's -Copper Dagger-

goblin is grabbed by the neck by *name*'s left hand! *name* bashes goblin in the head with his -copper shield-. The skull is broken! The brain is bruised!

Goblin has died.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In Oblivion can anyone think of a bug or mod that would cause a merchant to not restock their available gold every day? I'm playing in the thief's guild and Ongar, the first fence, has been stuck at 9 gold for a week, making progress in the guild impossible.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    In Oblivion can anyone think of a bug or mod that would cause a merchant to not restock their available gold every day? I'm playing in the thief's guild and Ongar, the first fence, has been stuck at 9 gold for a week, making progress in the guild impossible.

That sounds like a bug or something. That man refreshes daily in my game (fully patched). Alternatively, just buy all his lockpicks or something to give him cash again.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shit, in my Oblivion game, the people never lose money when I buy and sell stuff for some reason. And I'm on 360, that's not some mod. Sure I cant sell 14 of something expensive, but if I just do 4 at a time its fine for some reason.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah there's a mod that makes people lose money when you sell them stuff. It makes money a bit harder to get when you can't sell that super-weapon for a small fortune. It also makes that Mercantile investment thing somewhat useful.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Shit, in my Oblivion game, the people never lose money when I buy and sell stuff for some reason. And I'm on 360, that's not some mod. Sure I cant sell 14 of something expensive, but if I just do 4 at a time its fine for some reason.

That's how it works; I was confused too, but shop keepers just have an upper limit to what they will buy an item for, rather than just having a finite amount of gold. Saves juggling cheap and expensive items around in trade, at least, but good luck finding a decent price for that enchanted Daedric armour you'll never use.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I hope I can just kill Ongar with the console and resurrect him to get it sorted out then. Can't try right now, downloading things on Steam seems to take least precedence and will pause if I start up Oblivion.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Living Economy does that. IIRC, their gold will reset after enough time, though I don't remember how long it takes. The readme will say.

It's included in OOO, so that's probably where you're getting it. I'm assuming you're using OOO, since most people that aren't me do.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well I'm giving up on Daggerfall. The damn thing is determined not to run.

Morrowind, on the other hand...

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just installed Daggerfall (that autoinstaller with DOSBox) on my laptop for the first time. I've played Oblivion, but not Morrowind.

Haven't started a character yet, but I'm assuming I'll be spending a lot of time at the UESP.

Daemonion on