As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Finished the tutorial, I like it. I'll have to get some multiplayer going eventually, of course. Probably not tonight, but sometime soon.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I'm trying to play the demo with a friend of mine, but every time we try to join, we get an instant failed to join game message. It happens instantly. We're doing unranked (no ranked in demo) using Steam for matchmaking. Anyone know what's happening? I can't find any information about ports to forward or anything like that.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Huntress is much more fun then i was expecting, nothing like obliterating an entire wave in an instant with some well placed explosive traps

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    so, does the game have matchmaking of any sort or is multiplayer pretty much planned/friends only?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Game seems cool but good god, it's like the guys developing the controls and interface have never used a PC before. Almost everything about it just feels clunky. I press a skill shortcut and the position of my mouse cursor resets to the center? Really?

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Zek wrote:
    Game seems cool but good god, it's like the guys developing the controls and interface have never used a PC before. Almost everything about it just feels clunky. I press a skill shortcut and the position of my mouse cursor resets to the center? Really?

it appears to be much, much better with a controller :( tried a round with the keyboard/mouse, switched to my 360 controller, it was night and day

edit: and yes it has kinda matchmaking, hit quick match and it throws you into a game someone a similar level to you has hosted

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Anyone want to group up? Am sitting in the PA Steam group chat.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Electric aura plus barricade is godly.

I'll be up for stuff if people need partners (though just finished a pretty long sessionw tih friends) if anyone needs a partner, provided we have toons in decent level range.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Electric aura plus barricade is godly.

I'll be up for stuff if people need partners (though just finished a pretty long sessionw tih friends) if anyone needs a partner, provided we have toons in decent level range.

I was just doing that on some stairs. Quite fun.

So as awesome as this game is. TrendyNet? Totally not ready for prime time. :(

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Having had enough experience with the mobile version, I've decided to go Hunter this time.

Sadly, every game I join has people trying to fix their mics, disconnecting, and never really getting a game going. :(

Someone help?

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So everyone is playing ranked chars? I guess I should start grinding up a proper one then. Ho hum. Ranked huntress time~

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ranked keeps failing for me. Right now im just solo'ing as an Open Apprentice while my friends are busy doing other things. If anyone wants to get together I have a 7 or 8 monk, and 5 or 6 apprentice now. I'm CorriganX on steam and in the group.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    I've been playing Open largely due to Trendynet's tendency to explode.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You know, I'd kind of prefer personal loot drops in this. Just due to the annoyance of "look, your class weapon dropped! It's an upgrade! And the random other class person saw you running for it and took it."

It really seems like it's a coop game that really doesn't design well for quick match coop. Same with Mana. I've got the only defenses placed anywhere near the orc path! And can't afford to repair or upgrade them because.. I don't even know where the rest of the mana went, since the mage doesn't have a single tower down ><

edit: oh, warning to steam preorders.

Start a ranked private match when you first get the game.

Go into your tavern, and break the crates on the ground. These are your preorder items.

OTHER PEOPLE CAN BREAK THIS AND LOOT THEM IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS. And then, you will have no preorder items.

kildy on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    kildy wrote:
    You know, I'd kind of prefer personal loot drops in this. Just due to the annoyance of "look, your class weapon dropped! It's an upgrade! And the random other class person saw you running for it and took it."

It really seems like it's a coop game that really doesn't design well for quick match coop. Same with Mana. I've got the only defenses placed anywhere near the orc path! And can't afford to repair or upgrade them because.. I don't even know where the rest of the mana went, since the mage doesn't have a single tower down ><

The loot thing is quite annoying. I realize now that no matter who picks it up, it gets shared evenly among the party, but it's just to random for me. I've had a game where I picked up 5+ swords on my squire, spamming E to just pick them up to look at later, and when I went to the item box, and it was full of crossbows and wands.

And I kind of like Trenched's take on the Scrap/Mana thing. No matter who picked it up, everyone gets an even share. Maybe they should something like that so you don't just get someone spamming abilities and taking up all the mana, meaning no one else can build defenses/repair towers.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I'm loving the co-op with the PA crowd. <3

Been playing a hero-focused Squire, and I feel pretty good about it. I'm putting points in tower health so my bouncers can do their job while I run around applying damage the old-fashioned way. My ranged traps aren't as useful, but that does free up defense points, which seem to be at a premium. I should bring my tower-focused squire to compare, though -- he certainly solos better.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Am struggling to find a real use for the squire's other towers besides block early on really. Harpoons aren't bad once Wyverns are introduced, but given how many defense units they take up, their limited use is kinda blah. Not a bad AOE move if you get a decent angle I guess. Bouncers are amusing and not a bad slowing down item but too often they draw the ire of too many enemies, basically becoming a weaker blockade that doesn't work as well with the other class traps. The level with the lava seems like it should be a good use for them but the mobs won't take the path where they'd be useful, so I guess a ranged could draw aggro and draw mobs toward it. But their general uses combined with how many units they take up just makes me want to let other classes build far more practical defenses instead. Unit count isn't a big deal in 1-3 player mode but it quickly runs out in 4 player.

That said, Squire and Monk are probably my favorite. Really can't get a bead on Huntress yet. Apprentice I'm in the middle on.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Just finished 6 hours with a squire (me) and apprentice duo. We finished either the 6th or 7th level (all on medium). Squire's barricades are absurdly good. The bounce barricade especially just murders everything that touches it. And if it doesn't die, it has to walk back to get its' face mashed in a second time and then die.

Placing apprentice towers behind squire barricades really stops waves hard. The bounce barriers and blade barriers get most of the kills, and the apprentice towers are good at either picking off stragglers/lost mobs (they tend to wander a bit when knocked back) and blowing up thickly bunched crowds. All the projectile towers also prioritize flying targets over ground targets (based on range) so they're good for keeping wyverns off your crystals.

There are boss fights beyond the ogre-sized enemies. I won't spoil it but they're very cool.

So far the best weapon damage type is poison, as I've never seen a poison-immune mob. I'm sure they exist but they don't show up in the first 6 or 7 levels at least. Both fire and electric weapons are at least better than all-physical ones, but there are plenty of fire and electric enemies.

Ogres can't handle a pair of blade barricades. Even one is likely to take down an ogre if you repair it while it's getting beaten on. And if you're an apprentice with Overcharge going you can repair fast enough to keep the barricade alive indefinitely.

So I had a great time this evening/afternoon. I can't imagine how insane four-player is. Enemy numbers apparently scale with group size. Maybe I'll host a public game and find out. Hopefully people get their microphones sorted out by tomorrow because this game obviously requires a ton of communication and resource sharing to work properly.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Oh and in case anyone was wondering, you do need to play Ranked to earn achievements. You'll earn the trophies/rewards from them on Open as well (called Accomplishements) but the Steam achieves need to be on Ranked servers.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    - Are the blockades that much tougher? My thinking on the bouncers was that the bouncing would make them take less damage while choking up a pathway. If not, then spike blockades will soon be my main trap for that guy.

-There's definitely poison-immunes. I notice because I have a sword that does 61 melee, 100ish poison.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I cannot believe how much time I put into this game today. I can't remember the last time I put this much time into a game in one day at all. Granted I also can't remember the last time I had a proper weekday off like this.

Apprentice is much more fun than I anticipated. Starts off kinda slow, but those turrets seem just plain mandatory for getting by.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Is this similar to Orcs Must Die? I really enjoyed that.

• Options
    Mahnmut wrote:
    - Are the blockades that much tougher? My thinking on the bouncers was that the bouncing would make them take less damage while choking up a pathway. If not, then spike blockades will soon be my main trap for that guy.

-There's definitely poison-immunes. I notice because I have a sword that does 61 melee, 100ish poison.

Blockades are tougher, but my issue is really just the bouncer doesn't fit that well. A blockade and an Electric Aura or a good Hunter trap will do as much or more damage without the added spazziness of the bouncer knocking things out of range all the time. I mean, it does do good damage so it isn't worthless I just don't think it gels well with anything like blockades do. I kind of wish it didn't do as much damage and just did the knockback and mobs didn't get crazy aggro over it, would probably have more practical applications for it.

• Options
    Monks are fun, but they really seem to lack the oomph of the Apprentice and Squire classes. Squires especially needed for their defensive units, the mage ones just don't hold up as well it seems. Monk Auras just seem to be.. idunno lacking?

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    CorriganX wrote:
    Monks are fun, but they really seem to lack the oomph of the Apprentice and Squire classes. Squires especially needed for their defensive units, the mage ones just don't hold up as well it seems. Monk Auras just seem to be.. idunno lacking?

Their auras are pretty useful for augmenting other classes' turrets, and putting up a heal aura around the crystal can be very handy. Aside from putting a few points in aura speed I think I'm just going to focus on his DPS, and maybe speed since it really seems like he was designed to be a melee character first and a support character second.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Monks are godly. Electric Aura does stupid amounts of damage provided you don't get bad luck in spawning a few hundred shock immune enemies. They are kinda crap solo but they are very cool with multiple people and fit in better than say, the huntress does.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I wish I had someone to play with :( Huntress is fun but defending solo isn't the most super.

Amusingly: Reading the forum guides for the iOS/Android version, pretty much every strategy revolves around 'have a hunter'.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    The monks auras are fantastic. Was playing with a huntress for many and hour and she'd get most of the kills due to being specced for dynamite (could cover two areas) but I could easily hold off an entire spawn area thanks to having all my auras upgraded up the wazoo.

Sure, come on Mr.Orc! You're being incredibly slowed down (movement speed and attack speed), you're taking upwards of 120 damage a second, I'm being constantly healed for over 25 hp a second, you do less damage than you should and if a bunch of electricity immune guys come along they're just going to beat the crap out of eachother!

The auras are fantastic. Haven't felt a need to play any other class yet.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    harvest wrote:
    Just finished 6 hours with a squire (me) and apprentice duo. We finished either the 6th or 7th level (all on medium). Squire's barricades are absurdly good. The bounce barricade especially just murders everything that touches it. And if it doesn't die, it has to walk back to get its' face mashed in a second time and then die.

Placing apprentice towers behind squire barricades really stops waves hard. The bounce barriers and blade barriers get most of the kills, and the apprentice towers are good at either picking off stragglers/lost mobs (they tend to wander a bit when knocked back) and blowing up thickly bunched crowds. All the projectile towers also prioritize flying targets over ground targets (based on range) so they're good for keeping wyverns off your crystals.

There are boss fights beyond the ogre-sized enemies. I won't spoil it but they're very cool.

So far the best weapon damage type is poison, as I've never seen a poison-immune mob. I'm sure they exist but they don't show up in the first 6 or 7 levels at least. Both fire and electric weapons are at least better than all-physical ones, but there are plenty of fire and electric enemies.

Ogres can't handle a pair of blade barricades. Even one is likely to take down an ogre if you repair it while it's getting beaten on. And if you're an apprentice with Overcharge going you can repair fast enough to keep the barricade alive indefinitely.

So I had a great time this evening/afternoon. I can't imagine how insane four-player is. Enemy numbers apparently scale with group size. Maybe I'll host a public game and find out. Hopefully people get their microphones sorted out by tomorrow because this game obviously requires a ton of communication and resource sharing to work properly.

I've seen tons of poison immunes, mostly cause they waltz right through my gas traps as a huntres. They have a green icon instead of the red or blue for fire and shock respectively.

• Options
    Domhnall wrote:
    The monks auras are fantastic. Was playing with a huntress for many and hour and she'd get most of the kills due to being specced for dynamite (could cover two areas) but I could easily hold off an entire spawn area thanks to having all my auras upgraded up the wazoo.

Sure, come on Mr.Orc! You're being incredibly slowed down (movement speed and attack speed), you're taking upwards of 120 damage a second, I'm being constantly healed for over 25 hp a second, you do less damage than you should and if a bunch of electricity immune guys come along they're just going to beat the crap out of eachother!

The auras are fantastic. Haven't felt a need to play any other class yet.

Place the auras as a monk, switch to huntress, shoot everything and drop traps while invisible. Wheee. :p

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Archers are the most dick enemy so far in this game. They will seek you out, hiding behind your turrets and the moment you go to repair or upgrade they will shoot you from their max range, through 6 of their allies so you can't see them, just as you're about to finish thus cancelling all your works.

So much hate

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    I'm sitting outside my universitiy IT building, leeching off their wireless in the middle of the mosquito ridden night, just for this game.

Hope it is worth it, sounds like it is.

• Options
    So on one hand, the portal gun leaves the huntress pretty much defenseless in a classic sense.

On the other hand, funneling dudes into lava is powerfully satisfying and the gun doesnt drain energy as long as only one portal is up, so you can leave one sitting over a pool of lava and just pop open the other side whenever you need to toss some dudes in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Love love love this game.

Squire is awesome. Apprentice and Squire together shine like diamonds. I can't imagine soloing with the Monk tho. He would get absolutely ruined.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I really wish that the same "green glow" effect you get when placing defenses would happen when you are attempting to repair/upgrade/sell. Sell especially. Maybe I'm missing something but I've never seen a tooltip pop-up telling me which thing I'm actually about to interact with.

When you have an aura on top of a trap right next to a blockade it really sucks when you sell the wrong thing.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So this is a tower defense/Orc Must Die kind of thing? XBLA listed it as Action RPG, so I was hoping for more of a Torchlight kinda situation.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Skull2185 wrote:
    So this is a tower defense/Orc Must Die kind of thing? XBLA listed it as Action RPG, so I was hoping for more of a Torchlight kinda situation.

It is a LOT like Torchlight. It's tower defense but you can also run around and attack stuff directly and the monsters drop random loot just like Torchlight. There's just 13 levels tho, with 4(?) difficulties and challenges for unique loot.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hmmm, interesting.

Guess I'll give the demo a shot. Its not like I'm going to be playing anything that doesn't involve Batman for a while anyways!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    I really wish that the same "green glow" effect you get when placing defenses would happen when you are attempting to repair/upgrade/sell. Sell especially. Maybe I'm missing something but I've never seen a tooltip pop-up telling me which thing I'm actually about to interact with.

When you have an aura on top of a trap right next to a blockade it really sucks when you sell the wrong thing.
    The mouse cursor changes to the icon of whatever you're attempting to fix I think.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ebotastic wrote:
    Decoy wrote:

The mouse cursor changes to the icon of whatever you're attempting to fix I think.

Yeah, I literally just posted something (in this spot) about how I went in game to figure it out, but didnt refresh the thread before posting.

I can't get images to play nice. The link is the best I can do.
    That picture should explain why I was having issues.

Decoy on
This discussion has been closed.