As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATMAN] Where Are You?!? Here. Arkham City Out Now

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:
    There will be a moment in this game where you are gliding across the city and gently touch down on a rooftop. Then slowly walk to the edge and stand looking over the expansive city, shrouded in darkness. And then there will be a crack of lightning, briefly illuminating Bats as he looms over Gotham.

And if that moment happens and you aren't using the TAS skin, then you deserve to be shot dead.

Don't get me wrong I love me some B:TAS, like most guys my age, it's what got me into Batman and the reason that I hear Kevin Conroy in my head when I read any Batman comic. I just feel like it's going to stick out too much in this game.

Seriously. I'd rather use any of the other skins for that very reason. Thankfully they all look great.

I agree, but I'm going to use it anyway. The TAS design is so wonderful, I'd at least play around with it for a bit. After that, I quite like the Earth One outfit, followed by the classic blue, grey and yellow.

You know, Batman Beyond had no right to be any good. The concept sounds like a complete fucking disaster, but then ends up being fantastic. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are so talented.

You guys are really killing me with this Batman stuff. I was going to wait for AC, but now I just might have to buy the damn thing next week.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    People always say that, but I thought the premise of Batman Beyond sounded fantastic from the get-go

And then it was

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I thought Beyond was pretty good, but as soon as Bruce Wayne ain't in the suit, my interest in Batman plummets.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    People always say that, but I thought the premise of Batman Beyond sounded fantastic from the get-go

And then it was

Well, the original pitch was "Batman! but he's a kid!" Which sounds horrible. The fact that Timm and Dini managed to unfuck it is amazing. It's still not my favorite of the DCAU, but it's pretty schway.

Edit: I basically agree with Ceno.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Skull2185, so considerate of you to use spoilers. Thanks for ruining that aspect of the narrative.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Huh?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ...He ruined the fact that Joker is in the game, at least a little bit?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:

And then it was

Well, the original pitch was "Batman! but he's a kid!" Which sounds horrible. The fact that Timm and Dini managed to unfuck it is amazing. It's still not my favorite of the DCAU, but it's pretty schway.

Edit: I basically agree with Ceno.

Actually, the original concept came down from the network. "Make a teen Batman!" Which sounds horrible on paper, especially considering one of the network's other golden ideas at the time was to team Pinky and the Brain with Elmyra. But, to the producers credit, they absolutely made it work. They kept it dark, they made a reasonably believable future, they didn't use Batman's existing rogues' gallery as a crutch, etc. And it's well-enough remembered that DC brought it back in comic form. (The rumor is it'll get a relaunch as soon as the dust from New 52 settles.)

Hell, I wouldn't mind if Rocksteady's next game is Batman Beyond.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Oh... I figured if a lady from Rocksteady was talking about it in a video that would be viewed by tons of people, it wouldnt be a big deal...

Sorry

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Cameo suggests bit part, like an after thought. Unless I'm heavily misunderstanding it. Which is possible given the drugs I'm taking :lol:

edit: yeah I managed to avoid all previews and footage of the game since e3 I guess so it sucks when something gets mentioned that seems big.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    I really doubt the Joker has only a bit part in the game

In fact I am almost willing to bet a thousand simoleons that he is still the primary antagonist

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Also Batman Beyond has that amazing movie, which is probably my favorite piece of Batman media ever.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    The Return of The Joker?

cause it was pretty awesome.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    The Return of The Joker?

Just be sure to get the uncensored version.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

In fact I am almost willing to bet a thousand simoleons that he is still the primary antagonist

Was this even in doubt?

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

yes

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote:

Was this even in doubt?

The chick from Rocksteady used "cameo" while describing The Joker. I then pulled out my "Jump to conclusions" mat. Its nothing official.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote:

Was this even in doubt?

I guess Big Isy thought it might be!

• Options
    Yup throw me into the gullible camp.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

yes

I have been saying this for years.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I love how you guys are discussing something that was spoiler tagged outside of the spoiler.

Also, Mad Stan would be an awesome video game villain.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Let me just say that the fact that a bunch of people who dedicate a large part of their time to following video game news cannot make heads or tails of what pre-order bonus is available where, on what console, or includes what characters / skins is indicative of a shitty promotion.

I want to play as Robin and I do not want to support these kinds of schemes so I am just going to buy it at some point retail and hope this shit comes out as DLC.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Let me just say that the fact that a bunch of people who dedicate a large part of their time to following video game news cannot make heads or tails of what pre-order bonus is available where, on what console, or includes what characters / skins is indicative of a shitty promotion.

I want to play as Robin and I do not want to support these kinds of schemes so I am just going to buy it at some point retail and hope this shit comes out as DLC.

You're good to go, because they've already said it will all be DLC.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I love how you guys are discussing something that was spoiler tagged outside of the spoiler.

Also, Mad Stan would be an awesome video game villain.

Only if Henry Rollins comes back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MduM0SCXlqM

"Once he's on a rant, he's unstoppable!"

Wish I could have found a clip featuring his chihuahua, Boom-Boom.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    New thread title:

Batman Arkham City: All preorder bonuses will be released as DLC, stop worrying!

Also, speaking of Hamil's Joker, He's tired of doing it? Or it hurts his voice? Anyway, if it gets to the point where they want to make another Batman game and can't get Mark, I nominate John DiMaggio (Bender, Marcus Fenix).

He voiced The Joker in.. something. Under the Red Hood or Batman vs Dracula, and it was surprisingly decent.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    He keeps threatening to retire, but he keeps coming back. The guy is getting a little old, though.

DiMaggio was in Red Hood, and yeah, he did do a pretty darn decent job of it. Batman vs. Dracula, while kinda good, had Kevin Michael Richardson, aka "that deep-voiced black guy," doing falsetto as part of The Batman's philosophy of "whatever B:TAS did, we're doing the opposite!" Kinda okay but not really something I'd like to repeat.

At any rate, if this is Hamill's swan song, he picked a heck of a high note to go out on.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    The Return of The Joker?

No one can censor the goddamn Batman.

Seriously though I didn't know about that. What part did they censor? I don't remeber seeing anything I too violent.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    how the joker dies is different, uncensored he's shot with one of his funny guns and a blam flag is sticking out of his chest (or something similar), in the censored hes electrocuted or something

ryven on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    The Return of The Joker?

No one can censor the goddamn Batman.

Seriously though I didn't know about that. What part did they censor? I don't remeber seeing anything I too violent.

You didn't? Hoo boy. Long story short: when ROTJ was about to come out it was presidential election time in 2000. Life was pretty good then, so the only boogeyman politicians could come up with was Hollywood. Anyway, ROTJ was done, it got approved at pretty much every level and was ready to go when some WB exec saw it and flipped his shit. He immediately ordered it recut, and there were a HUGE number of changes ordered... to the point to where they had to do a bunch of new animation, EVERY actor had to redo lines, the music had to be redone, etc. etc. Several dozen changes, many of them very silly. It got to the point to where the Joker's taunt to old Bruce of "Bat-fart" had to be redone to "bat-kook." Silly stuff.

The good news is that at the time the exec flipped his shit, the screener copies sent to video stores had already gone out, and batfans knew what had been done. The "uncut" ROTJ was pirated like crazy, and to their credit WB released the uncut version a few months later.

As to how to tell which version is which:
    The key way to tell is how Joker dies.

In the uncut movie, Robin shoots him. (This is why the exec flipped... OMG kid with a gun! Columbine! Yarglebarglebargle!)

In the censored version, Robin doesn't shoot him, but somehow Joker slips on a puddle and gets electrocuted.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Is Return of the Joker's title just a nod to Return of the Jedi, seeing that they both include Hamill?

I started reading cloudeagle's paragraph and 99% of the time when ROTJ is used its for Star Wars, so I was thrown off

Fun side note: Mark Hamill is going to be a villain in season five of Chuck. I am hoping for at least one Joker reference (they'll obviously do a Luke Skywalker one)

Also PLEASE change the thread title, I know it's informative but I'm sure the PC lot already know the game is delayed and it scares me a little bit every time I see it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Yay!

I saw the uncensored one! :D

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I like the Best Buy pre-order bonus. Is anyone familiar with pre-ordering from them? I've often read it isn't necessary, as that every copy shipped to the store comes with the bonus.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So when will we get to see a map of Arkham City?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    So when will we get to see a map of Arkham City?

Go to the Warden's office, put three helpings of explosive gel on the left side wall of the small vestibule before going up the steps

• Options
    October 18th

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    You have numbers in your screen name so you have to wait till after Christmas.

• Options
    GAF reporting the following DLC release info:

Nightwing character pack - 11/1 - $6.99
    Robin character pack - 11/22 - $6.99 (or preorder from Best Buy)
    Batman skins pack - 12/6 - $4.99

Nightwing vs Nathan Drake.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Oh who am I kidding, I'll be buying all of it.

• Options
    Yeah me too. Well, except Robin. I'm getting that anyway.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Tangential: Have you seen the collector's edition of Uncharted 3? Probably the best (and most expensive) edition I've ever seen and is pretty much the supermassive black hole around which the galaxy of fall '11 orbits.

This discussion has been closed.