As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: Season 6 Is Now

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Never knew that thing about the rabbits. I imagine few men do.

What thing about Rabbits?

Rampant Rabbit, which she mentioned, is apparently a famous kind of vibrator.

Yeah, it showed up on Sex and the City and became a thing.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How do people not know about this? They're the adorablest sex toys ever!

Cyvros on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cyvros wrote: »
    How do people not know about this? They're the adorablest sex toys ever!

I know OF them, I don't know the brand name.

Now if she had mentioned Sybian...

Though what kind of ring would THAT be?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To those who liked Destiny of the Daleks, I say to thee: Mad. You're all completely mad.

Still, you did better than I did. I had "Dalek Attack" for the Amiga. It were awful. It was a game where you played as the Doctor travelling around the world shooting Daleks with his famous laser gun. Behold, the grim spectacle:

OH GOD KILL ME NOW

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dalek Attack was awesome, and I'll not hear a bad word against it. That title sequence alone made it worth it.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Dalek Attack was awesome, and I'll not hear a bad word against it. That title sequence alone made it worth it.
    Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Matt Smith is also awesome.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You are redeemed, Cyvros.

For now.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Squirmi, you are the bestest.

Closely followed by Warriors of the Deep.

And the Voord.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    I can't wait to see the next season! Meantime I still have some recent episodes to catch up on. (I missed the one where Ten changes to Eleven.) Are they available for viewing online anywhere (that Americans can watch)?

Good news!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've always been interested in Dr. Who, especially recently with season 5. I think I'm gonna start with Season 1(2005) in a few minutes thanks to Netflix. Anything I should know? Movies that have to be watched at a specific time in the series?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not really, if your starting from the first episode "Rose" it's pretty much made for people to start watching it from that point. As the series goes on you'll get introduced and told about the important backstory and histroy of the show.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've always been interested in Dr. Who, especially recently with season 5. I think I'm gonna start with Season 1(2005) in a few minutes thanks to Netflix. Anything I should know? Movies that have to be watched at a specific time in the series?

There's the christmas specials as well, but they follow pretty logically. So the 2005 xmas special follows series 1, 2006 follows series 2 etc etc. You don't really have to watch them though.

Also in 2009 they didn't have another series but 4 specials instead. I'm sure you can figure it all out if you just check the Dr Who imdb page.

Daxon on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think all the specials are there on netflix so dont worry about missing some. a friend of mine in the US started from the beginning too.

sit back and enjoy the ride. enjoyment may vary from episode to episode but generally its all worth watching. the empty child/doctor dances two parter will hook you. The aliens of london/world war 3 two parter is just about my least favourite of the lot.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

There's the christmas specials as well, but they follow pretty logically. So the 2005 xmas special follows series 1, 2006 follows series 2 etc etc. You don't really have to watch them though.

Also in 2009 they didn't have another series but 4 specials instead. I'm sure you can figure it all out if you just check the Dr Who imdb page.

I'd say the Christmas specials are certainly necessary to watch. At least the first couple.

Introduction of 10.

Introduction of Donna.

That said, they're part of the following series sets anyway, so it's not like he needs to go out of his way to watch them.

And when you get to the specials after series 4, the order to watch is:
    The Next Doctor
    Waters of Mars
    End of Time, Pts 1 & 2

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'd say the Christmas specials are certainly necessary to watch. At least the first couple.

Introduction of 10.

Introduction of Donna.

That said, they're part of the following series sets anyway, so it's not like he needs to go out of his way to watch them.

The Next Doctor
    Waters of Mars
    End of Time, Pts 1 & 2

To be entirely honest Waters of Mars is the only memorable/really good one of those specials. Though end of time is kind of necessary I guess - very silly though.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Whenever I check my email on my phone and I have an email notification about this thread, it gets truncated to "This [Doctor Who] Thread..."

My brain automatically finishes that off as "This [Doctor Who] Thread doesn't have a fire exit! Enjoy your death trap, ladies."

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Introduction of 10.

Introduction of Donna.

The Next Doctor
    Waters of Mars
    End of Time, Pts 1 & 2

You're forgetting the one with the bus...and the desert. I forget the name. Probably because it was pretty forgettable I guess.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Planet of the Dead.

Shame, really. It's a reasonably boss title.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    The DocThe Doc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Planet of the Dead.

Shame, really. It's a reasonably boss title.

It's especially hard to miss since it revisits the "song is ending" point, indicating the Oods' role in the End of Time, and introduces the "he will knock four times" point. The Doctor's reaction to the pounding on the door in Waters of Mars and later obsession with the Master's four-part drumming in End of Time won't make sense without it, even if Planet of the Dead itself was a little lackluster.

The Doc on
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
    - Howard Phillips Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just finished the 4th Doctor story The Sun Makers. This has to be one of my favorite old Doctor Who stories so far. The villains had a stunning combination of comedic and menacing, and seeing The Doctor lead a small, tactical rebellion was just amazing. It was one of those stories that really showcased just how clever The Doctor is, especially the 4th Doctor's more rascally form of intellect.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OMG. My DVR, which I had given up for dead, spontaneously started working again and it turns out it had been recording my selected programs all this time.

What does this mean? It means I have forty Doctor Who episodes just waiting to be watched. YEEEEEEEAH!

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Halfway through the first episode on your DVR:

"I'm the Doctor, I'm a Time Lord. I'm 903 year ol-ffzzzzztztwllwwwwrp Hello and welcome to forty hours of Antiques Roadshow!"

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What does this mean? It means I have forty Doctor Who episodes just waiting to be watched. YEEEEEEEAH!

Your sig picture seems to be very appropriate to this statement.
    RD_soawesome.gif yeeaaah!

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

"I'm the Doctor, I'm a Tire Lord. I'm 903 year ol-ffzzzzztztwllwwwwrp Hello and welcome to forty hours of Antiques Roadshow!"

With your host, Matt Smith.

It would start with someone bringing in The Pandorica.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

"I'm the Doctor, I'm a Tire Lord. I'm 903 year ol-ffzzzzztztwllwwwwrp Hello and welcome to forty hours of Antiques Roadshow!"

I would actually watch that.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Muriden wrote: »

Your sig picture seems to be very appropriate to this statement.
    yeeaaah!

Ponies LOVE time travelling doctors!
    tumblr_lcmcs3NAUw1qbzc91o1_500.jpg

LadyM on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually Doctor Who is The Cat in the Hat with a time machine.

http://io9.com/5729089/a-portrait-of-doctor-s+who+ss-teases-at-the-places-youll-go

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I would actually watch that.

Who wouldn't?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just played Episode 1 City of the Daleks, and had a blast. (it was much better than chapter 1 of Back to the Future, and I'm a much bigger BTTF fanboy than DW!) A few thoughts though:
    • Matt Smith has very little energy delivering his lines in a studio. Is he like this in audiobooks as well?
    • This game reminded me how much I cringe at every line of the Daleks. The score is brilliant and I wanted to run around doing stuff to the music but had to turn it down because of a Dalek line grating my eardrums every 10 seconds!
    • LOVE finding and picking up cards
    • The minigames are guilty fun. Who doesn't like completing mazes?
    Installing Ep 3 and 4 now!

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So does the alien at the end of the trailer look like an Ood to anyone else but me?

silverbuddy on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    New rule --

Any line quoted from a Dalek must be written in italics with caps-lock on.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    NO. DA-LEKS SPEAK LIKE THIIIIIIIS

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So does the alien at the end of the trailer look like an Ood to anyone else but me?

I keep shifting on whether it looks more like a Gray or Slenderman.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BoredGamer wrote: »
    Ellie wrote: »
    Ooh. I'm gonna actually post in a Doctor Who thread this time. It's my New Year's Resolution.

That tin TARDIS is totally baller, dude. As well as all the Doctors. And... Is that the fob watch from Family of Blood? Is there something of note between that and the three Sonic Screwdrivers? I am intrigued by your collection of fabulousness there.

Yes. that is the fobwatch from family of blood. It's the metal, proper pocketwatch version, my friend got it for my last Christmas, it's a beautiful bit of merchandise. And that is just a memory stick between the pocketwatch and the screwdrivers, but it does have the first bunch of Mcgann Big Finish stories on it.

I've also been searching amazon and i've bought quite a few Virgin New Adventures and Eighth Doctor Novels, think I'm gonna have to clear another shelf when they arrive.

Also, if anyone has been on the fence or thinking about it, i suggest you pick up the Eleven Doctors figure set whilst it is still a reasonable price. They are all very well made and the value for money is excellent.

Where in the universe did he find that watch? I demand answers!

hawkbox on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't know where he got that exact one, but i've seen the same thing on Forbidden Planet and Ebay.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    daleks.png

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DAAAAAAH-LEKS DO NOT SPEAK LIKE HER-CU-LES!

Houn on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    See this? This is what happens when you have to wait for a new season of Doctor Who to start. The split season will probably kill us.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The font I used is called "Dalek", and it's the official font for Dalek text in comics and merch.

So suck it.

Squirminator2k on
This discussion has been closed.