As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't mean to dampen the party, but does anybody else have pause about the 3DS, at least initially?

This thing releases in two months and I only find myself marginally excited. I just cannot shake the feeling that the 3D aspect is nothing more than gimmickry that will be grossly underutilized to expand into new genres, instead relegated to band-aids that hide the flaws of mediocre third party cash in games.

As it stands the 3DS and its library strikes me as a more powerful PSP, and i've gotten to the point that I only care about the graphics upgrade on a very superficial level. Am I the only one?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A lot of people don't seem to want one at launch which is sensible considering price and initial library. Once Paper Mario comes out it will be amazing though (that's when I'll try and get one).

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Here's my random 3DS wish.

I'd like to see more consoles announced as coming to its virtual console. Such as:

Game Gear,
    GB Advance, or
    NeoGeo Pocket Color (oh Lord help me, I'd go insane)

You missed Virtual Boy.

That would totally be on my list. I know if might take a little more technical dohickery than a straight emulation to get it right, but the 3D is already there and you could bring the rarely used 2nd D-Pad to the touch screen. All the people back then with small pockets and/or prone to headaches would finally be able to enjoy VB Wario Land, Mario Clash, and 3D Tetris in all their red glory.

I'm just hoping Nintendo hasn't disavowed any knowledge of the VB and get on this right away.

Greenish on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll take for the region-locking to be defeated.

With how hackers will be tearing into this thing?

I'd give it a month

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't care about the graphics update. I care about the games.

That said, what's been announced (as in concrete games we know are being made) hasn't struck my fancy, but then again it's launch period and launch periods are almost always bad.

I wish we had a new Advance Wars game.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The DS was an amazing device with an incredible library. I really have no idea why people are like "Man, I just cannot get excited about something that is the DS but better than the DS in every way even without the 3D."

Who cares if the 3D is just a gimmick? It is still superior to the DS in every conceivable way. Do you seriously not want developers to have access to more power for your handheld games? Because I sure do.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't mean to dampen the party, but does anybody else have pause about the 3DS, at least initially?

This thing releases in two months and I only find myself marginally excited. I just cannot shake the feeling that the 3D aspect is nothing more than gimmickry that will be grossly underutilized to expand into new genres, instead relegated to band-aids that hide the flaws of mediocre third party cash in games.

As it stands the 3DS and its library strikes me as a more powerful PSP, and i've gotten to the point that I only care about the graphics upgrade on a very superficial level. Am I the only one?
    This doesn't seem strange at all. I'm sure there are lots of people who feel the same way.

But here's my opinion on 3D :

It will never (and should never) be essential for gameplay.

Consider the fact that a certain percentage of the population aren't able to see the effect, some people get headaches from it after extended use, there are health risks to young children viewing it, and a bumpy ride is enough to ruin the effect.

It's not like the touch screen, motion controls or thinks of that ilk. It's more like rumble. But it's a visual gimmick, so it's more fun to look at.

I'm excited mainly for the games (so many look great), the improved interface and for a simple handheld upgrade (still using my DS phat). 3D is just a cool graphical bonus.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emulating the Virtual Boy on the 3DS would be easier than what they're doing with the 3D "Classics" or whatever. The controls would probably be fine as long as they came up with a customized mapping for each game (AND LET US REMAP THE CONTROLS), but I don't know that they would want to display them in all their red glory.

It would be simple enough to give players color options like on the Game Boy Color, to show them in grayscale or colors that are less agonizing than red, or if they wanted to put some effort into it they could even colorize the graphics. The would certainly make them more marketable.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are there any Virtual Boy games that are worth playing to begin with?

EVOL on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Portable SF IV is more than enough launch game for me.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EVOL wrote: »
    Are there any Virtual Boy games that are worth playing to begin with?

Wario Land and Teleroboxer.

RockinX on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emulating the Virtual Boy on the 3DS would be easier than what they're doing with the 3D "Classics" or whatever.

Are you sure? Are the two different camera views being used for 3DS games the same distance apart as the ones for Virtual Boy games? The 3D might simply be incompatible.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emulating the Virtual Boy on the 3DS would be easier than what they're doing with the 3D "Classics" or whatever.

Are you sure? Are the two different camera views being used for 3DS games the same distance apart as the ones for Virtual Boy games? The 3D might simply be incompatible.

Eh? The distance between the cameras doesn't matter. The point of a stereoscopic screen is to display two different images at the same spot in space. The Virtual Boy does this using lenses to make two separate displays appear to be in the same spot (I assume), and the 3DS does it using a parallax barrier. But they're functionally the same. Any image that works on one will work on the other.

Besides, the camera distance is what the slider adjusts in 3DS games. You won't be able to adjust it in Virtual Boy games, but what the distance between them is just affects how deep the picture looks.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Eh? The distance between the cameras doesn't matter. The point of a stereoscopic screen is to display two different images at the same spot in space. The Virtual Boy does this using lenses to make two separate displays appear to be in the same spot (I assume), and the 3DS does it using a parallax barrier. But they're functionally the same. Any image that works on one will work on the other.

Besides, the camera distance is what the slider adjusts in 3DS games. You won't be able to adjust it in Virtual Boy games, but what the distance between them is just affects how deep the picture looks.

I'm not sure about that, but ok.

As for the slider adjustment, this may be incorrect, but one man's impression was that it controlled something a bit different from what you describe:
    Initially you see a double image, but looking at this for a short while is enough for it to be magically combined into one 3D scene. This focusing process took a couple of seconds for me at first and each time I looked up from playing I had to refocus before I could resume.

This was aided by reducing the 3D slider. The affect of this was not what I expected. It doesn’t control the depth or power of the 3D effect, but rather fine tunes the different images being fed to each eye. This is more about matching how your eyes process the world (and the physical gap between them on your head), than adjusting how much 3D you could cope with. I found a sweet spot about halfway down the slider for my eyes, this not only made the experience feel less of a strain, but reduced the time it took to focus on the output.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As for the slider adjustment, this may be incorrect, but one man's impression was that it controlled something a bit different from what you describe:
    Initially you see a double image, but looking at this for a short while is enough for it to be magically combined into one 3D scene. This focusing process took a couple of seconds for me at first and each time I looked up from playing I had to refocus before I could resume.

This was aided by reducing the 3D slider. The affect of this was not what I expected. It doesn’t control the depth or power of the 3D effect, but rather fine tunes the different images being fed to each eye. This is more about matching how your eyes process the world (and the physical gap between them on your head), than adjusting how much 3D you could cope with. I found a sweet spot about halfway down the slider for my eyes, this not only made the experience feel less of a strain, but reduced the time it took to focus on the output.

As someone that has used the 3ds, thats wrong. It does, in fact, reduce the 3d depth when moving the slider.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I don't care about the graphics update. I care about the games.

That said, what's been announced (as in concrete games we know are being made) hasn't struck my fancy, but then again it's launch period and launch periods are almost always bad.

I wish we had a new Advance Wars game.

when the original DS came out, I only had Super Mario 64 DS (which I finished very quickly) and then of course the metroid prime hunters demo. It wasn't until meteos and then Kirby canvas curse (which came out in summer) that the DS slowly started to get good stuff. So From Nov 2004 to June 2005, there was practically nothing.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, that article isn't totally incorrect. Adjusting the distance between the cameras can account for the variances that different people have in the distance between their eyes, and make viewing more comfortable based on that. But that's also what causes there to be more or less depth to the picture.

Changing the separation or inward angle of the cameras is the only way to adjust the image itself anyway. Changing the convergence will move the entire image forward or backward, but it doesn't adjust the depth of things in the picture itself, and it would cause the edges of the screen to be cut off.

One neat effect of changing the convergence backward (so that it looks farther away) is that it makes the screen look bigger than it is. It would be cool if the 3D slider allowed you to adjust the "screen distance" in emulated Game Boy games, since they wouldn't have to worry about the edges being cut off there.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

As someone that has used the 3ds, thats wrong. It does, in fact, reduce the 3d depth when moving the slider.
    Pretty much, I have no idea what the hell he's talking about.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When are those 3DS demo kiosks supposed to show up? I'd really like to test one to see if it works with my eyes (my left eye is drastically stronger than my right eye, which means that 3D doesn't always work for me).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nintendo would just like you to know, without going into details, that "it really works!" Observe:
    Itoi: I think what people will say most often when they first try it out is "It really works!"

Iwata: "It really works!" (laughs)

Miyamoto: "It really works!" (laughs)

Itoi: Yeah, "It really works!" And I feel like there isn't a lot that we need to tell them.

Iwata: Yeah.

Itoi: I think it's important in this day and age to be careful not to say too much.
    Miyamoto: I do think most everyone will say, "It really works!"

Itoi: Well, "This really works!"

Iwata: Everyone will say it.

Itoi: Yeah! I can hear my wife saying it right now.

Iwata: (laughs)

Miyamoto: (laughs)

Itoi: Sort of nasally. "Ahh, it really works…"

So there you go! Just trust them, you'll be saying "it really works!" (laughs)
    InkSplat wrote: »
    The DS was an amazing device with an incredible library. I really have no idea why people are like "Man, I just cannot get excited about something that is the DS but better than the DS in every way even without the 3D."

Who cares if the 3D is just a gimmick? It is still superior to the DS in every conceivable way. Do you seriously not want developers to have access to more power for your handheld games? Because I sure do.

I feel much the same way and I do think that 3D is mostly just a gimmick beyond being able to discern where you are in relation to enemies and other objects in the environment.

But that doesn't concern me too much anyway because its a cool gimmick, much like it is in movies like Jackass 3D, so "who cares?" indeed.

Edit: And to better demonstrate that there is indeed a relationship between Jackass 3D and the 3DS beyond the surface element, think about this . . . does one of those things not contain dildos being used as projectiles which come at you in 3D? Will one of those things, similarily, not contain pictures of dongs that seem to come at you in 3D? I'm not sure that this proves anything, but there are layers of similarities to be found here for those willing to look for them. For instance, I also forsee humorous YouTube-like videos of people hurting themselves . . . but in 3D!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My reaction is going to be the same as the Japanese celebs who tried it out.

:shock: "Wa!"

Taya on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When are those 3DS demo kiosks supposed to show up? I'd really like to test one to see if it works with my eyes (my left eye is drastically stronger than my right eye, which means that 3D doesn't always work for me).

My issue is eye strain. Such as my DSiXL. I had to adjust the brightest down because on the highest setting It would bother me and I would get a headache.

Algertman on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Demo kiosks are going to be horrible for trying it out yourself. It's gotta be pretty hard to position them so that different people can hold it properly. If you aren't sure 3D will work for you just don't factor that in to your decision to get the system.

Re: Algertman: No one uses the brightest setting, well no one normal.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Technically, from an image quality standpoint, you should have the backlight as low as you can stand while still being able to see the image. The brighter the backlight, the more detail gets washed out. Assuming you're playing a game that HAS a lot of little details...

I keep my backlight on the lowest setting because the only time I play my DS is in bed with all the lights out or at work (a windowless room where all the lights are out).

The bright backlight feature is really just for outdoor use, where you otherwise can't even see the image.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've always gone with something in between the two extremes that the brightness settings have to offer, because they really are pretty extreme. The lowest one is too much like the Game Boy Advance scenario of not being able to see very clearly what the hell is going on. Amping up the brightness a bit is one of the things that made the Lite so much better than the original DS.

Meanwhile, the brightest setting can be used in the darkest corners of the Earth at night to make your way to wherever you want to go with ease. Dense fog and other conditions also do not pose a problem in this scenario.

Rehab on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    The lowest one is too much like the Game Boy Advance scenario of not being able to see very clearly what the hell is going on. Amping up the brightness a bit is one of the things that made the Lite so much better than the original DS.

There is a huge difference between the original GBA and the backlight off on any DS model. You can actually see stuff with the original GBA's screen if you stand below an external light source, but you actually have to struggle in order to see anything on the DS's screen with the backlight off at all.

RockinX on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, definitely preordered that shit, and it's coming exactly on my break between contracts, so I'll also be bringing it on my next one. Awesome timing. Though I'm going to Europe for 6 months so the region-locking thing kind of sucks... I'll have to order my games from America and have them sent to the ship. That'll be annoying.

Khavall on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've always gone with something in between the two extremes that the brightness settings have to offer, because they really are pretty extreme. The lowest one is too much like the Game Boy Advance scenario of not being able to see very clearly what the hell is going on. Amping up the brightness a bit is one of the things that made the Lite so much better than the original DS.

Meanwhile, the brightest setting can be used in the darkest corners of the Earth at night to make your way to wherever you want to go with ease. Dense fog and other conditions also do not pose a problem in this scenario.

Dude I had one of those original GBAs, that shit was darker than a coal miner's arsehole.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And the coal miner could have rectified that issue by bleaching his asshole too, whereas with the first GBA you were just kind of condemned to darkness until the revisions.

Any coal miner sick of the stereotypes perpetuated by that saying could have told Nintendo to use a little more foresight before getting themselves in a hole.

Rehab on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And the coal miner could have rectified that issue by bleaching his asshole too, whereas with the first GBA you were just kind of condemned to darkness until the revisions.

Any coal miner sick of the stereotypes perpetuated by that saying could have told Nintendo to use a little more foresight before getting themselves in a hole.

Its just not a Nintendo thread without the words "Bleaching" and "Asshole" strung up in a sentence together.

I remember how happy i was when i got my GBA. Then the eye strain. And the tilted lamps. And the light attatchments. And the eye strain.

Talkc on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Talkc wrote: »

Its just not a Nintendo thread without the words "Bleaching" and "Asshole" strung up in a sentence together.

I remember how happy i was when i got my GBA. Then the eye strain. And the tilted lamps. And the light attatchments. And the eye strain.

Obligatory

20010613h.gif

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had the best lighting rig on my GBA, it made it look like the Matrix of Leadership

Green on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should we expect a price drop on DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL in March?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    (Tentative) Release dates!

http://kotaku.com/5740777/gamestop-listings-peg-3ds-titles-at-40-to-50-in-us

Looks like June 2nd is (maybe) the day of reckoning for my wallet, assuming I get my hands on a system and these dates hold.
    March 15

Dead or Alive Dimensions $49.99
    Samurai Warriors Chronicles $49.99
    March 22

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars $39.99

March 27
    Madden NFL Football $39.99
    Sims 3 $39.99
    Nintendogs & Cats $39.99
    Steel Diver $39.99
    Pilotwings Resort $39.99
    Super Street Fighter IV $39.99

April 2
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow $39.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell $39.99
    Asphalt $39.99
    Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs $39.99
    Rabbids Travel in Time $39.99

June 1
    Cartoon Network SuperToon Rumble $39.99

June 2
    Animal Crossing 3D $39.99
    Mario Kart 3D $39.99
    Paper Mario 3D $39.99
    Dream Trigger $39.99
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D $39.99
    Kid Icarus: Uprising $39.99
    Star Fox 64 3D $39.99
    Super Monkey Ball $39.99

July 6
    Resident Evil: Mercenaries $39.99

Sept. 2
    Face Kart: Photo Finish $39.99
    Pet Zombies in 3D $39.99

Edit: Apparently OoT on June 2nd is more or less a sure thing, but other stuff is "unconfirmed by publishers" but on a list Gamestop is giving out.

Darlan on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So did built-in lighting just not work very well on AA batteries?

Edit: Yeah, good to know I can wait for a while after the original release rush.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Green wrote: »
    I had the best lighting rig on my GBA, it made it look like the Matrix of Leadership

I think I had that. Did it look like this;

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/35/b0/678647-elec_lg-resized200.jpg
    Took 30+ pages of google-fu under the search 'GBA light' to find that thing, would have been quicker to dig mine out from the darkest parts of my deepest cupboards...

Also, had no idea there was a PA comic dedicated to this issue :lol:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i'm excited about 90% of that list

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    (Tentative) Release dates!

http://kotaku.com/5740777/gamestop-listings-peg-3ds-titles-at-40-to-50-in-us

Looks like June 2nd is (maybe) the day of reckoning for my wallet, assuming I get my hands on a system and these dates hold.
    March 15

Dead or Alive Dimensions $49.99
    Samurai Warriors Chronicles $49.99
    March 22

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars $39.99

March 27
    Madden NFL Football $39.99
    Sims 3 $39.99
    Nintendogs & Cats $39.99
    Steel Diver $39.99
    Pilotwings Resort $39.99
    Super Street Fighter IV $39.99

April 2
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow $39.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell $39.99
    Asphalt $39.99
    Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs $39.99
    Rabbids Travel in Time $39.99

June 1
    Cartoon Network SuperToon Rumble $39.99

June 2
    Animal Crossing 3D $39.99
    Mario Kart 3D $39.99
    Paper Mario 3D $39.99
    Dream Trigger $39.99
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D $39.99
    Kid Icarus: Uprising $39.99
    Star Fox 64 3D $39.99
    Super Monkey Ball $39.99

July 6
    Resident Evil: Mercenaries $39.99

Sept. 2
    Face Kart: Photo Finish $39.99
    Pet Zombies in 3D $39.99

I doubt Zelda, Stafox, Paper Mario, Kid Icarus, and Mario Kart are coming out on the same day. That would make no sense. I would wager that Gamestop is doing some fake date listings.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm guessing that SSF4 is going to be the superior choice to DOA?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah that list is re-fucking-diculous.

Incredible software lineup.

Although why nothing for May? Also I think much of the June stuff will be pushed all over the shop and / or delayed. Way too many big-hitters for Nintendo to release all in one month, going by past history. Thinking I'll pick up a 3DS in about August, ready for the Big Summer Break.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg