As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Waaait. You get 150 bucks for a 360 slim? I hope like hell that was the 4 gig verson, then you're only losing 100 bucks. But if that's the 250GB verson, which sells on Amazon for $325....Damn man. What's the line between a pawn shop and a used game store?

Good point there.

Maybe I should call them back...

EDIT: tivs.ca is saying that EB Games is giving $200 for a PS3 Slim 250GB. I would think that I'd get roughly the same for the 360 Slim.

I guess the question that I need to ask myself is - Is it worth it? I rarely play the 360 because I have a PS3 and a decent PC now. Even the XBLA has become one of those things I can't bring myself to spend money on.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Additionally, if the OS and menu are still live when playing DS games on BC, that's another big plus: I can be playing DQVI and then get notice that a friend comes online, so I drop out and invite him to play some SSFIV, etc.

I have a feeling that your game won't be interrupted with an onscreen popup or sound, though. The light will turn orange and you'll have to tab out to check your friend list, see that it's only Rehab and not that Sporky guy that you wanted to play with, and sigh and go back to your game.

Just conjecture.

A subtle change of the color of one of the lights would be vastly preferably to having a popup or sound of some sort.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just thought how great E3 is going to be when Reggie shows up on stage and starts swinging his dick around. Iwata bows, and then Miyamoto comes out and announces Nintendogs + Cats + Ferrets.

Algertman on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    I just thought how great E3 is going to be when Reggie shows up on stage and starts swinging his dick around. Iwata bows, and then Miyamoto comes out and announces Nintendogs + Cats + Ferrets.
    nbsbt.jpg

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    Sin and Punishment of the Collosus?

I'd buy that in about 1.5 seconds.

ystael on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Waaait. You get 150 bucks for a 360 slim? I hope like hell that was the 4 gig verson, then you're only losing 100 bucks. But if that's the 250GB verson, which sells on Amazon for $325....Damn man. What's the line between a pawn shop and a used game store?

Good point there.

Maybe I should call them back...

EDIT: tivs.ca is saying that EB Games is giving $200 for a PS3 Slim 250GB. I would think that I'd get roughly the same for the 360 Slim.

I guess the question that I need to ask myself is - Is it worth it? I rarely play the 360 because I have a PS3 and a decent PC now. Even the XBLA has become one of those things I can't bring myself to spend money on.

I would never get rid of a console, but that's just me. I don't even trade games in. I'm a packrat of the worst kind, though. If you really don't think you'll miss the 360, toss that sucker on Craigslist or something and throw the money Nintendo's way.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    A subtle change of the color of one of the lights would be vastly preferably to having a popup or sound of some sort.

Yeah, 3DS doesn't really have the screen real estate for the way it's done on 360. You don't want it blocking your controls on the touchscreen or blocking your game up top. It'd probably look cool in 3D, though. :)

Actually now I'm picturing a messaging system like the objectives in Splinter Cell. You're fighting Medusa at the end of Kid Icarus and a huge chunk of the wall behind her crumbles and falls away, to spell JUSTIN IS ONLINE.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At least here in the U.S., 360 trade-in values are way lower than PS3s at GameStop. They had a giant glut of old 360s clogging up the tubes when the Slims came out; trading in an old 360 with wireless controller will net you a cool $40 or $50 nowadays (they process the hard drives separately). :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's probably because my name is Justin, but picturing that scenario makes me laugh so hard.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    At least here in the U.S., 360 trade-in values are way lower than PS3s at GameStop. They had a giant glut of old 360s clogging up the tubes when the Slims came out; trading in an old 360 with wireless controller will net you a cool $40 or $50 nowadays (they process the hard drives separately). :(

Heh, I'd never trade in my 360, if for no other reason than the fact that I bought mine launch day and it still works great. I figure a 360 that old that's never had a RROD has gotta be worth something, if for novelty at least.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know why, but I keep imagining a Jet Set Radio game on 3DS with those newer concept depictions of Beat and Gum. It just seems like it'd work.

Mystic Terrapin on
    Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Further proof that the Wired article was silly goosery:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-21-3ds-estore-will-be-ready-on-day-one
    Contrary to speculation, the 3DS's digital download store and internet browser will be up and running from launch, Nintendo has confirmed.

A Wired report earlier this week claimed that the new handheld's eStore would not be ready on the day of release and would be added in later via a firmware update.

However, a spokesperson for Nintendo told Eurogamer today that although neither an internet browser nor the eStore would be included in the console's "initial firmware" they will be "updated on day one".

So, the eStore won't be in the initial firmware, but will be there on a launch day update. And will presumably be there on all 3DS's beyond launch.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honestly, given the available information at the time, there was reason to be concerned that Nintendo wouldn't have it ready for launch.

Though I am glad they cleared this up.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The price is down to £199 over at shopto.net

I really hope this will lead to a pricing battle during the next couple of weeks.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm...Is it just me or does Wired seem rather...negative regarding the 3DS? I mean, I'm not expecting everyone to be shining Nintendo's shoes with their tongues, but looking at their last batch of articles ( Nintendo 3DS Is a Last-Gen Game Machine, Disappointing 3DS Games on Stunning Hardware, Download Store, Browser Won’t Launch With 3DS) it does seem a bit negative.

Question. Does anyone know if any major corps own Wired, or is it an independent site?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    dpp

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wired is a tech magazine. They would be more oriented towrds upper end hardware and skeptical of "gimmicks" like 3D.

So in short I don't think they'd care for nintendo much

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    pslong9 wrote: »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-21-3ds-estore-will-be-ready-on-day-one
    Contrary to speculation, the 3DS's digital download store and internet browser will be up and running from launch, Nintendo has confirmed.

A Wired report earlier this week claimed that the new handheld's eStore would not be ready on the day of release and would be added in later via a firmware update.

However, a spokesperson for Nintendo told Eurogamer today that although neither an internet browser nor the eStore would be included in the console's "initial firmware" they will be "updated on day one".

So, the eStore won't be in the initial firmware, but will be there on a launch day update. And will presumably be there on all 3DS's beyond launch.

I'm thinking that they intentionally kept it off the hardware so that pirates/or others wouldn't find out what shape the internet browser and eStore would take until launch day in the event that someone stole a console from the production line.

Considering that someone did manage to smuggle a 3DS I'd say that Nintendo made the right choice.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The reason Nintendo hasn't copped to a launch line-up is... they have no clue what that line-up is.
    As for the launch lineup, aside from the 30 titles promised within the "launch window," Scibetta noted that Nintendo was reluctant to tell the press about an exact lineup because the company is still thinking about what should be available on day one to best attract consumers.

"We’re still figuring it out. A lot of games are at different points in their development cycle. Some games are ready, and some aren’t. Some come on strong towards the end, and then there are issues with manufacturing, and making sure they’re getting manufactured at the right time. We want to make sure that we have the right number of games out there so that it’s not overwhelming on day one but also that you have a lot of good choices. We also want to make sure that we have the key genres covered so we have good games in a lot of different areas, so that it’s not just appealing to one group of people," Scibetta explained to us.

He continued, "We’re working 24/7 to try and figure that out right now. We figured rather than put an exact number down of games and exact dates down for these games, and then have to go back later and retroactively change it, better to just say, 'we think we gave a lot of good info today.' People can get an overall picture of basically what we’re coming out with. We’ll tighten that up as we get closer to launch, in terms of 'you can expect this game on this day' once that picture becomes a little more clear."

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wired is a tech magazine. They would be more oriented towrds upper end hardware and skeptical of "gimmicks" like 3D.

So in short I don't think they'd care for nintendo much

Actually the guy who wrote that has been complimentary to Nintendo in the past, so his fairly negative assessment is a little odd.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    pslong9 wrote: »

I'm thinking that they intentionally kept it off the hardware so that pirates/or others wouldn't find out what shape the internet browser and eStore would take until launch day in the event that someone stole a console from the production line.

Considering that someone did manage to smuggle a 3DS I'd say that Nintendo made the right choice.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. Nintendo has been manufacturing 3DSs for a while now and have undoubtedly been working on the firmware/software since the manufacturing began. Instead of shipping different units with different firmware, you just have everyone update on the first day.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jeeze.

They only have realistically a month to iron that out.

Seems easy to me

Zelda
    Nintendogs
    Kid icarus
    Star fox
    $$$$$
    Boom Yummy.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a big difference between technology journalists and gamers, at least from what I've seen. Tech people are absolutely obsessed with all in one type stuff. The concept of something dedicated to X completely boggles them. Quick and cheap games seem to be the only ones they are particularly interested on handhelds. FPSes seem to be the only thing they can stand on consoles.

I'm pretty sure the only thing tech peoples like even a little bit in the gaming world is the 360. Maybe the PS3 but only because it plays Blu-rays (they have no concept of exclusives, differing online systems, etc).

Yes I just stereotyped a huge group of people, what?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In regards to the day 1 firmware update it's not unprecedented for Nintendo. The Weather and News channels were made available through an update on the Wii on the first day (least I think so).

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jeeze.

Seems easy to me

Zelda
    Nintendogs
    Kid icarus
    Star fox
    $$$$$
    Boom Yummy.

Of those, only Nintendodogs (how did that meme go again? I forget) will be in the "launch window," unfortunately.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    $$$$$
    Boom Yummy.

These two games sound intriguing. Especially this, $$$$$. Tell me more.

I kid.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    $$$$$
    Boom Yummy.

I kid.

License%20to%20Print%20Money.gif

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The 1st day firmware update might then be a piracy measure of some sort.
    Maybe by having to make people connect the 3DS to the internet they can somehow authenticate it and deny any modified hardware the internet and eShop channel while non-modified consoles will be able to download these channels at a cost - some sort of specific anti-pirate measure that will make it harder for pirates to modify the console with these channels on it.

Or something, I have no clue about tech stuff like this.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Jeeze.

Seems easy to me

Zelda
    Nintendogs
    Kid icarus
    Star fox
    $$$$$
    Boom Yummy.

Of those, only Nintendodogs (how did that meme go again? I forget) will be in the "launch window," unfortunately.

That's annoying. Oh well If chaos theory keeps spy vs merc I doubt I'll have any problems keeping occupied

King Riptor on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

Why? It's an opinion piece, and his basic premise is solid. Hell, he spends most of the second page touting the system's pluses.

My thoughts exactly.

Which part makes him an idiot, barring the sensationalist headline?

The part where he complains that people that don't have an internet connection can't get on the internet to update their 3DS with the eShop channel to buy his theoretical indie games via the eShop channel they'd have to have internet to access with for in the first place.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    $$$$$
    Boom Yummy.

I kid.

Someone is gonna have to update that for the 3ds. Printing money in 3d!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    $$$$$
    Boom Yummy.

I kid.

Does the money fly out from the screen at your face?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

here

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Boy am I gonna look stupid if it doesn't sell a million billion units!
    I'm not worried about that

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kohler
    This is the writer of the article that everybody is bitching about. Apparently he is one of the most respected people in videogame journalism, and as been doing it for like 15 years. I was nearly :shock:ed into oblivion by a couple other industry guys last week when I admitted to not knowing who he was and that I got into an online argument with him over something I felt he said was stupid 2 years ago.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is the writer of the article that everybody is bitching about. Apparently he is one of the most respected people in videogame journalism, and as been doing it for like 15 years. I was nearly :shock:ed into oblivion by a couple other industry guys last week when I admitted to not knowing who he was and that I got into an online argument with him over something I felt he said was stupid 2 years ago.

There is a reason he's Wired's game guy. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he's been at it a long time and he's more even-keeled than most.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

There is a reason he's Wired's game guy. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he's been at it a long time and he's more even-keeled than most.

Except for the times that he goes off the deep end and refuses to listen to anybodies side but his own. I know that first hand. Though this guy is supposedly the Ebert of games, but remember even Ebert can open his mouth and say some pretty dumbshit things from time to time.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Except for the times that he goes off the deep end and refuses to listen to anybodies side but his own. I know that first hand. Though this guy is supposedly the Ebert of games, but remember even Ebert can open his mouth and say some pretty dumbshit things from time to time.

I dunno. You may have personal experience with him, but in all my years I've been reading him this is really the first time he's said something nutty.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I dunno. You may have personal experience with him, but in all my years I've been reading him this is really the first time he's said something nutty.

I talked to one of his own co-workers last week who told me that at times his bosses tell him to stop posting on the comments sections of his own articles because he'll get into an argument with someone and go into downright troll territory. He's still human, do you want me to link the article we got into an argument over?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I talked to one of his own co-workers last week who told me that at times his bosses tell him to stop posting on the comments sections of his own articles because he'll get into an argument with someone and go into downright troll territory. He's still human, do you want me to link the article we got into an argument over?

Sure, why not?

cloudeagle on