As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] Santa Went Crazy

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    when i have the option in a video game, i pretty much always choose whatever is closest to the thin white straight male human.

video games are a little different because the actual amount of roleplaying is laughable if existant at all

and you aren't sitting around a table with a bunch of your friends while your straight white male buddy tries to play a lesbian sorcerer

well yeah

that is a thing that i do not think that i would do all that well with

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good morning [chat].

BobCesca on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I tend to play characters of different ethnicities all the time. I never do any stereotyping.

That's aight
    Cole-Train-Cast.jpg

ff7-barret.jpg

Sometimes the games stereotype for you

AWWWW HELL NAW

Nocturne on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't get why it would be weird for a guy to play a woman

until I had to roleplay flirting with a bouncer

if I was a dude telling another dude in a sultry voice that I wanted to see his big... gun

that'd be awkward as hell

dear lord

also the fact that most of the RPGs you have played in, the DM was your boyfriend, probably made it more difficult to realize why this is generally so awkward for most other people portraying romance in RPGs

Pony on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

if I was a dude telling another dude in a sultry voice that I wanted to see his big... gun

dear lord

Yeah, the only time I played with a guy who was RPing as a chick he was basically being a terrible caricature of a female and talked in a really annoying high pitched voice the whole time.

It was dumb.

He was dumb.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the worst is when i see players play a character of the opposite gender

but play a different sexuality than their own so they can still be attracted to the same gender they are normally attracted to

that's so fucking lazy

men aren't the only ones who do this either, i've seen quite a few female characters roleplay as gay dudes and do it really badly and i am just like "god why don't you just play a woman, there's nothing about being male that is adding to your character"

Please stop insulting my roleplaying, I thought my portrayal of Chunk Manbeef was nuanced and inspiring.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    If I played a man in a tabletop game I would constantly be showing the NPCs my penis and it would slow down the entire game

Why don't your female characters ever show off their hooters, you realize how many problems that would solve?

"We need to see the king or whatever"

"No you cannot see the king person I am a guard I must stop you"

"But what about THESE TITBOOBS"

"Well in that case come on in and do whatever hurray for breasts"

That would lead to such issues in our group.

Half the games I've played with Cass, she's played an abrasive zealot. You catch more flies with honey, s'all I'm saying.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSloth wrote: »

dear lord

Yeah, the only time I played with a guy who was RPing as a chick he was basically being a terrible caricature of a female and talked in a really annoying high pitched voice the whole time.

It was dumb.

He was dumb.
    Maybe he was doing a Monty Python impersonation

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Once I played a pickup game off of Meetup.com and the DM told me a NPC rogue was going to rape my character and I had to roll to not get raped. I walked out.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If I played a man in a tabletop game I would constantly be showing the NPCs my penis and it would slow down the entire game

Why don't your female characters ever show off their hooters, you realize how many problems that would solve?

Half the games I've played with Cass, she's played an abrasive zealot. You catch more flies with honey, s'all I'm saying.

Huh, she's a zealot in our group too. Not abrasive to my character so much.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Maybe the guard is gay and wants to see your dick. Stop being so heteronormative.

Also in Dark Heresy I arranged a gang-bang so I could find out how many guards were in the bar! That's totally exploiting my womanhood!

I mean I didn't follow through on it but that's kind of an unrealistic expectation

Rats in the Under Hive

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'M ALWAYS A DIPLOMAT, YOU DICKS

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    like i am constantly yelling at rent

i am like

"rent

what the fuck are you doing?

we are trying to push this tower. you don't need to be refreshing your red buff right now

jesus"

probably is frustrating for rent though

he fuckin loves him some red buff

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's stuff like

"Hey Feral you need to use your snare more"

When I had just used it three times in a row, only the third time I hit an Olaf with his ultimate up, and it didn't do any good, and somebody on our team died because of it.

Bad me for not being able to identify when Olaf's ult is up.

Maybe if I played Olaf I'd know that, but I can't tell.

And if I say "I have been, I just hit Olaf when he can't be disabled" it sounds whiny and like I'm making excuses.

So I just swallow it and move on.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't really think so... but I may have just played a very LGBT-friendly campaign.

IIRC, the DM was straight, as were one or two of the players, but aside from that we were all gay.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't get the idea of "how awesome an RPG set in modern day be, fuck yeah" out of my head.

Can anyone suggest such an RPG?

Alpha Protocol is probably the closest, but Obsidian doesn't have a great record with bugs.

I think he meant tabletop, so like, d20 modern would probably be a good pick, but I'm really not familiar with it.

I'll be honest, nothing like that.

In my mind, it was more like "The Wire but a videogame RPG"

But then I realized there's no goddamn way such a thing was even close to existing.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    also, frankie got back from her fashion show

she now has really severe fringe bangs, some kind of strange angular thing going on with the layers in her hair and blue streaks in it.

it was ironed flat for the show, so i am curious to see how she's going to try to make it work with her vintage hairstyles.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'M ALWAYS A DIPLOMAT, YOU DICKS

And I'm sophisticated as hell.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

dear lord

It was dumb.

He was dumb.
    Maybe he was doing a Monty Python impersonation

That's pretty much how it came out, only I think he was trying to be serious. The girls playing as gay dudes was extremely prevalent in my old V:TM group, which wasn't as bad, but wasn't good either.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent has become jungle-institutionalized

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    what is extremely rare is to see a person play someone of a different sexuality but not a different gender.

i don't see that happen a lot

i've seen a straight dude play a gay character once, and only once, and that guy did a pretty good job of it (he played his character as, in his words, "Spartan gay", the kind of hypermasculine warrior culture that considers buttfucking a form of manly bonding)

and i've seen a small handful of female players play female characters who were lesbians or bisexuals

in general most people play their own sexual orientation, unless they are playing a character of a different gender, in which case the orientation seems to reflect whatever gender they are normally attracted to

dudes playing lesbians is pretty much a dime a dozen phenomenon.

i, personally, tend to play characters with the same sexual orientation as myself. makes roleplaying easier

then again i also tend to play caucasian humans

so maybe i am just lazy

Pony on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

But then I realized there's no goddamn way such a thing was even close to existing.

I'm certain something like this exists. It might be a niche product, but it'll be somewhere.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Once I played a pickup game off of Meetup.com and the DM told me a NPC rogue was going to rape my character and I had to roll to not get raped. I walked out.

... jesus christ

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011

She and I generally clash roleplaying-wise. First game we played together, she was an uptight Paladin who used her faith to justify whatever was convenient, whereas I was an entrepreneurial mage who employed people we saved at a brothel I established, which she believed to be a bee keeping farm. That game went to a strange place.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I know what you're saying but it sounds really racist.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In Morrowind I always picked Redguard or Khajiit. I'm not sure if this says anything

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I can't get the idea of "how awesome an RPG set in modern day be, fuck yeah" out of my head.

Can anyone suggest such an RPG?

Alpha Protocol is probably the closest, but Obsidian doesn't have a great record with bugs.

I think he meant tabletop, so like, d20 modern would probably be a good pick, but I'm really not familiar with it.

I'll be honest, nothing like that.

GTA San Andreas is p close

Saints Row 2 is as well if you're alright with how fucking ludicrous it is

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Somewhat abrasive to me.

My character isn't Christian enough.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011

if i get focused down early in a team fight, i try to make it a point to put the camera on him so i can see if he's focusing the tank

he's usually focusing the tank

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MY DIPLOMACY WAS LIKE +15

I WAS CONSTANTLY DIPLOMATING

I JUST DIDN'T AGREE WITH YOU COLLECTING WOMEN AND WHORING THEM OUT

GAWD

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Feral wrote: »

I'm certain something like this exists. It might be a niche product, but it'll be somewhere.

nm, i misread that as 'paper RPG' for some reason.

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2011

She and I generally clash roleplaying-wise. First game we played together, she was an uptight Paladin who used her faith to justify whatever was convenient, whereas I was an entrepreneurial mage who employed people we saved at a brothel I established, which she believed to be a bee keeping farm. That game went to a strange place.

what was really funny was that it was only a long time afterward, ie very recently, that Cass realized that at no point did anyone working there own or purchase bees or even pretend to do so

Most Gullible Paladin

Pony on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In Morrowind I always picked Redguard or Khajiit. I'm not sure if this says anything

Wood elf stealthy dude with bow and shortblade

Like every time

The combat in Morrowind is pretty terrible so I might as well stealthily kill things with a bow or poisoned dagger to make it a little more fun

Nocturne on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

... jesus christ

Cass, you did the right thing. I'm proud of you.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    so now i have a girlfriend with dark auburn hair with blue stripes

god help me if she gets some cat ears

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

GAWD

i feel like a wad when we are playing Dark Heresy because you want to be the diplomat so badly but I literally built my character to be as silver-tongued as possible and I end up being the one who primarily leads the group, makes plans, and talks to NPCs

in combat i am fairly useless however

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    what was really funny was that it was only a long time afterward, ie very recently, that Cass realized that at no point did anyone working there own or purchase bees or even pretend to do so

Most Gullible Paladin

BUT WHERE DID THE HONEY COME FROM???

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so now i have a girlfriend with dark auburn hair with blue stripes

god help me if she gets some cat ears

kawaii desu ne~~ ^_^

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    It is kind of hard to play different orientations.

I honestly don't think I've ever really tried, not that it's come up all that much.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011

GAWD

i feel like a wad when we are playing Dark Heresy because you want to be the diplomat so badly but I literally built my character to be as silver-tongued as possible and I end up being the one who primarily leads the group, makes plans, and talks to NPCs

in combat i am fairly useless however

Well I'm pretty good at dealing with classy gentlemen and ladies

My character is an Administratum butler

so if I went into a bar and tried to wheel and deal with some rat thug criminals

uh

it wouldn't go well

This discussion has been closed.