As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MAGIC THE GATHERING IS FOR COOL PEOPLE

• Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And this is why I just play pauper. Putting together decks for $10 is pretty great.

Of course, I just end up making a million different 10 dollar decks, so I really can't talk.

Yeah, I play cube format with my brother with a cube that's made entirely of commons and uncommons, so I don't have to worry about fancy-ass cards and making a huge investment.

Or at least... I haven't till now, cos I'm moving and I'll have to get my own cards and play with people who aren't my brother/his friends if I want to play D:

All I've got is a draft deck I built at a Zendikar pre-release event. I ain't even looked at what cards I have in like... a year and a half!

:I

Lexxy on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone playing or considering playing Magic Online, Besieged release events started yesterday. Ping metaghost for an invite to the PA clan if you want to hang out in chat. I'm also happy to donate some random commons to anyone getting started. Username is lukewarm (if I don't respond, I'm drafting. :) )

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    On the plus side, it gives you an excuse to put together some fresh new deck ideas!

I'm working on putting together a W/U deck now, focusing on multicolored spells. Mainly I'm excited because it gives me a chance to use cards from Shadowmoor and the Shards of Alara block, and I love the art there.

Edit: Going to have to join that clan when I get home! I play a little Magic Online (mainly pauper there as well), and it'd be fun to play more often.

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I play every so often with 2-3 friends, so the multiplayer component often helps keep decks from getting completely out of hand. It adds a diplomatic element to the game that I really enjoy, especially at 4+ players (even if it's not intended, 3 player can often become and stay 2 vs 1 easily).

I've got 12 EDH decks built and sleeved, which adds a lot of variety to the games above and beyond the inherant variety in the format. One of my favourites is a Doran the Siege Tower / Infect deck that seems to mess with opponents combat math pretty well. It also features some reasonable acceleration and recursion to keep threats available, and some truly nasty equipment.

I waver on the matter of poison counters though. Needing only 10 to kill an opponent seems rather harsh in a format designed to need double the usual amount of life to kill a player (or 21+ from a general), but on the other hand if we adjust that then why not adjust other alternate win conditions like Felidar Sovereign or Test of Endurance, and going that route makes alternate win conditions significantly less attractive/viable, which in turn limits decks we play to mostly just "I puts down the creatures and try to hit you with them lol".

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    I play my giant wad of cash which means I win

this has not been true for like 10 years

Planeswalkers would beg to differ.

I don't know what you consider a wad of cash, but most planeswalkers can be had for $15 or less

compare that shit with a warhammer army or train collecting

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    I waver on the matter of poison counters though. Needing only 10 to kill an opponent seems rather harsh in a format designed to need double the usual amount of life to kill a player (or 21+ from a general), but on the other hand if we adjust that then why not adjust other alternate win conditions like Felidar Sovereign or Test of Endurance, and going that route makes alternate win conditions significantly less attractive/viable, which in turn limits decks we play to mostly just "I puts down the creatures and try to hit you with them lol".

I don't know how I feel about poison counters either, really. I think it would be better if we got some cards to remove poison counters.

I have really been thinking of trying to put together an EDH deck, but I'm kind of wary of spending a lot of time and money putting together a deck that is a flop. I guess I should read up more on the format and then maybe I'll feel ready to give it a go.

In regards to cost: I briefly considered getting into Warmachine/Hordes before I started playing Magic and I have to say, Magic is really flexible. You don't HAVE to pay a fortune to get the best cards. Sure, some cards are more expensive than others, but you can certainly put together a competitive deck on the cheap if you aren't dead set on a card that costs $15-20 each.

I could be wrong, but I think Quest decks, Knight decks and Vampire decks are all fairly accessible and not exceedingly expensive to do well.

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

nope
    planeswalker singular, and his name is jace

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man Jace, The Mind Sculptor

His power is only outstripped by the dollars you have to fork out for him

Solar on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just realized today that for the first time since darksteel I actually have a type 2 legal deck. I'm pretty happy about that. It's an infect deck that is at the level where it's kinda pretty good but it only actually has a playset of a couple of cards.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Besides the anomaly that is Jace, the Mind Sculptor (and to a lesser degree, Primeval Titan), type 2/standard legal decks cost the same on average as pre-mythic.

Instead of having to afford 15-20 $10-$15 rares/lands/etc for any deck you wanted to make, you're looking at 4-6 $20-25 cards and 10-15 $5 cards. You have outliers like Jace and Titan, but for the most part having more of the cheaper cards in the market makes it easier to play more than 1 deck (especially if you end up getting a playset of the super-expensive ones...they tend to go in multiple decks anyway).

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Any new planeswalker is initially priced at $50 now. They made a mistake listing the new Tezzeret at $35, but he instantly rebounded the first tournament he was legal.

They often drop if they're not central to a deck.

Generally, the higher they cost (5 and up) or if they don't do something abusive, the cheaper you will be able to get them soon, i.e. Elspeth Tirel. To be broken they either need to draw a lot of cards or... oh yeah, just draw a lot of cards.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't spend more than £30 on a deck (I guess that is about $50). I don't have the money to spend any more, and to be honest even if I did I probably wouldn't want to drop the amount of cash some people do.

Solar on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Diorinix wrote: »
    Besides the anomaly that is Jace, the Mind Sculptor (and to a lesser degree, Primeval Titan), type 2/standard legal decks cost the same on average as pre-mythic.

Instead of having to afford 15-20 $10-$15 rares/lands/etc for any deck you wanted to make, you're looking at 4-6 $20-25 cards and 10-15 $5 cards. You have outliers like Jace and Titan, but for the most part having more of the cheaper cards in the market makes it easier to play more than 1 deck (especially if you end up getting a playset of the super-expensive ones...they tend to go in multiple decks anyway).

I really don't put Primeval Titan in the same category as Jace. You can build an entire Valakut Ramp deck for less than a playset of Jace. Hell, you can build the entire deck for less than it would cost you to buy 3 Jaces.

And people complain about standard, but just try breaking into Legacy or even worse, Vintage from scratch. Sure, you don't have to shell out cash to buy new cards every release (usually, unless whatever you're playing gets banned/restricted), but you're looking at paying up to something like $8,000 for a Vintage deck and maybe even more, and Legacy decks can break $1,000. I don't believe any deck in standard is going for that much right now.

jgeis on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At least with older formats the changes are slower/smaller (I believe). While combos can be found that break new ground wide open now and then, those older formats have fairly steady price tags. Duals have gone up and down over the years, but in general buying a Revised dual land now is unlikely to drop in value by half or more the way cards rotating out of standard can.

I'm very curious to see if Extended is popular enough (and JTMS sees enough play in it) to keep his value, or if he plummets. While I mean no ill will to those with the luck, trading skill or finances to drop nearly half a grand on 4 cards, I wouldn't be terribly upset if it happened either. People who see him as an "investment" will likely either try to move him before 'the end' arrives (likely causing him to drop as the market suddenly floods and his demand possibly lowers enough that buyers get the edge) or throw fits when their $400 in cards are suddenly worth a fraction of that.

And bluntly, I wouldn't mind WOTC pulling an Elspeth on the matter and just releasing a JTMS vs _____ duel deck to give pretty much everyone a chance to play with him if they so desire.

Personally I stick to casual, so my crew getting into EDH has really been a boon in terms of deck construction.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I play every so often with 2-3 friends, so the multiplayer component often helps keep decks from getting completely out of hand. It adds a diplomatic element to the game that I really enjoy, especially at 4+ players (even if it's not intended, 3 player can often become and stay 2 vs 1 easily).

Yessss, multiplayer is great fun. I played several games over winter break with my brother and my cousin. One of the games lasted 5 or 6 hours because we were able to negotiate with eachother and talk ourselves out of a few sticky situations.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At least with older formats the changes are slower/smaller (I believe). While combos can be found that break new ground wide open now and then, those older formats have fairly steady price tags. Duals have gone up and down over the years, but in general buying a Revised dual land now is unlikely to drop in value by half or more the way cards rotating out of standard can.

I'm very curious to see if Extended is popular enough (and JTMS sees enough play in it) to keep his value, or if he plummets. While I mean no ill will to those with the luck, trading skill or finances to drop nearly half a grand on 4 cards, I wouldn't be terribly upset if it happened either. People who see him as an "investment" will likely either try to move him before 'the end' arrives (likely causing him to drop as the market suddenly floods and his demand possibly lowers enough that buyers get the edge) or throw fits when their $400 in cards are suddenly worth a fraction of that.

And bluntly, I wouldn't mind WOTC pulling an Elspeth on the matter and just releasing a JTMS vs _____ duel deck to give pretty much everyone a chance to play with him if they so desire.

Personally I stick to casual, so my crew getting into EDH has really been a boon in terms of deck construction.

There is actually a rumor that JTMS will be reprinted in Magic 2012, along with the other "Planeswalkers 2.0". The rumor was started by someone well known within the rumor community on the website MTG Salvation, so it may very well be truth. Though if this happens, the price of Jace would actually not drop that significantly, I believe, due to the extra year he'd then have in Standard. That and Jace has shown up in Vintage, Legacy and Extended decks. I don't think he'll see the price drop most cards have once they rotate out of Standard.

You are right though, the eternal formats are just that, very slow to change. The real shake-ups come from banning/unbanning of cards. A point I was trying to make though, is that people complain a lot about only Standard, but they have other options. They just have to spend more to get going, but then they're going forever.

jgeis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Me and my friends often play multiplayer, and one of them runs a scary suicide black deck. Barter in blood, Kokusho the evening star, Death cloud, anything at all that fucks up everyone at once. Often he ends up killing himself just to clear the board and take out a player or two.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I keep most of my deck type 2 or at least withing the same block. Except my tribe decks. I have a vampire deck, a merfolk deck, and a crappy elf deck right now.

I need to sit down and make some new decks and modify my decks from scars to work with besidged.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I need to sit down and make some new decks and modify my decks from scars to work with besidged.

I really need to do this too. I managed to open 2 of the new tezzeret so i may make a deck around him. Still need to modify my myr deck and change up my red machine deck.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I too must add some new additions into my Myr deck. I might have to end up totally reworking it now, actually.

I saw Tempered Steel enchantments a couple weeks ago for a buck a pop and snagged them, so I've got 4 now. I also got a couple of Myr Turbines from the Besieged packs I've opened that would probably be good, and a few other odds and ends I'd like to throw in. Man I really hope they make the rest of the cards to make a tribal Myr deck a real thing. Otherwise my deck will probably shift towards a WW Tempered Steel Overseer style.

Don't know what to do with the Tezzeret I got. On the one hand, I could switch out a single card and throw it into my old Broodstar Affinity deck I've still got from back in the days of original Mirrodin. Then again, I'm working on a U proliferate combo deck that it could be helpful for too, if I added some black. It's a tough call. Or I could trade/sell him and Thrun (got them in consecutive packs!) for a bunch of somethings else.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't know what you consider a wad of cash, but most planeswalkers can be had for $15 or less

I meant the more control-specific ones. Jace, the Mind Sculptor and the new Tezzeret, specifically. The white one that turns into a creature runs about 25-ish last I checked too, though it's been a while.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JTMS won't plummet. He may see some amount of price drop but since he is already a proven legacy staple I would be surprised to ever see him go below the 50-60$ range. Primeval Titan is the card I expect to plummet in a couple years (not right away since valakut will still be extended legal).

dougyfresh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay so UR is definitely the best dual color combo. Because seriously... awesome. I really need to build an Izzet deck of some kind.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to hypothetically Replicate a spell like Gigadrowse three times, doesn't that count as three untap triggers for Gelectrode? Because holy crap would that go bonkers fast.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    gigadrowse is way bonkers all the time

and i think the interaction you are talking about could work? not suuuure

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Okay so UR is definitely the best dual color combo. Because seriously... awesome. I really need to build an Izzet deck of some kind.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to hypothetically Replicate a spell like Gigadrowse three times, doesn't that count as three untap triggers for Gelectrode? Because holy crap would that go bonkers fast.

The copies that come from replicate don't count as spells played. For a spell to be "played", you play it from your hand.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    nealcm wrote: »
    mycosynth lattice + march of the machines + experiment kraj + a planeswalker

experiment kraj can use the planeswalker's abilities infinitely because those rules only apply to cards of the type planeswalker

did that in an EDH game once... felt good man

i miss my experiment kraj deck

it was so fun and crazy

wait
    didn't this get errata'd or am i remembering wrong

maybe it did, but the point is at the time it was legal

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You know what I do sometimes? read the comments on gatherer. They can be pretty funny on occasion, especially if you are looking at particularly bad/good cards or Chimney Imp/Storm Crow

Solar on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    You know what I do sometimes? read the comments on gatherer. They can be pretty funny on occasion, especially if you are looking at particularly bad/good cards or Chimney Imp/Storm Crow

One of the developers does a thing on his twitter where he presses the random card button and comments on the card he finds. They're often quite interesting.

[All of Aaron's random card comments

Starcross on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The large majority of standard decks these days are several hundred dollars to build. Even the "cheap" competitive decks tend to be a couple hundred bucks now. It may not be as expensive as other things, but it's still pretty expensive if you want to move beyond casual games.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I always felt that Magic should have weight classes based on overall deck value for tournaments. Like decks over $500 are in one class and decks from $200 to $500 are another class, $50 to $200 are another, and <$50 are lightweights. But obviously Wizards would never go for that because they would never support official card values. It would be a cool idea though. I think I could make some kick ass <$50 decks.

Smurph on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Smurph wrote: »
    I always felt that Magic should have weight classes based on overall deck value for tournaments. Like decks over $500 are in one class and decks from $200 to $500 are another class, $50 to $200 are another, and <$50 are lightweights. But obviously Wizards would never go for that because they would never support official card values. It would be a cool idea though. I think I could make some kick ass <$50 decks.

It's called Pauper, it is a real format and you can play it for prizes on Magic Online.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Smurph wrote: »

It's called Pauper, it is a real format and you can play it for prizes on Magic Online.

What are the rules for pauper? No rares or what?

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nothing above common. It's constructed beyond that so 4 max of non-basics. Magic Workstation League has tournaments and by proxy decklists, I believe. Or just search online and you'll find lists.

If you think it's soft, it isn't though. Storm can win t2 or t3 unopposed, goblins is very fast, affinity, UB Probe, etc. It's a horsepower format, not full of delicate flowers and interactions.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's awesome. If I knew more Magic players in the area I'd do that. There are some sick commons out there. Like Unmake. That card is just crazy for its cost.

Really it's sad that I don't know more casual Magic players around where I live. I have a lot of decks. Like, a lot. And I know exactly what they do, but I'm not friends with anyone who can really compete. However, I'm weary with searching out new players because I haven't bought, or really looked at, anything since Shards of Alara and none of my decks are even block legal, they're just full of random shit I've found over the years. I really just don't know where to go to play.

edit: For example with my competition, tonight I was playing one of my friend's (who is extremely new at the game and I'm basically teaching him and his gf how to play) decks against my Elf deck and I had 121 life and made a deal with him. I said I'd let him do whatever he wanted until I could deal over 100 damage in one turn to him, then I would attack. It ended with me doing 102 damage and I had 71 life.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Look for local nerd stores in your area, call them and ask what night casual magic is. Problem solved! :)

Also, if you like old cards, look into Elder Dragon Highlander, referred to as EDH.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Look for local nerd stores in your area, call them and ask what night casual magic is. Problem solved! :)

Also, if you like old cards, look into Elder Dragon Highlander, referred to as EDH.

Actually, I started building 2 EDH decks today. Last time I was at the local nerd store I picked up 2 generals: Ghost Council of Orzhova and Radha, Heir to Keld.

We'll see how they work out.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of EDH, me my friend, and my roomate just played a 3 hour long 3-way game of EDH. I ended up with a pair of omnaths (don't ask how) with a manapool of 235 mana at one point.

SLyM on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Legend rule?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SLyM on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, SLyM. Legends die as a state based affect if two are in play at the same time w/ the same name.

My friend told me today he'd dedicate a Radha deck to me because I HATE EDH WITH ALL MY COLD BLACK HEART. Cube or championship decks, never boring ass EDH for me. Still! Mazeltov on your journey! Lots of people seem to love it except me.

OnTheLastCastle on