As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MAGIC THE GATHERING IS FOR COOL PEOPLE

• Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man archenemy

There was some sale thing at a shop nearby and my housemates picked up all the archenemy stuff

It is a lot of fun

also if any of you got 4 bros that play magic you should play a star game

5 people sit in a circle and each person is allied with the people on either side of them and enemies with the two people across from them

very political

first person to have both of their enemies dead wins

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm a hella casual player and a bunch of my friends are too, they use proxies when they don't have a super expensive card

I'm having a tough time including everything I want in a white/red metalcraft deck so I'm tempted to just make a ballin' ass white metalcraft and theme a red deck differently, possibly around my koth of DA HAMMAh

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with slivers. I love them when they're in my deck. Otherwise fuck em.

Also, dark ritual drain decks. That was my shit. Many years ago.

slivers are fun and my favorite

but they make horrendous competition decks

Counter-Slivers (which was also called Meathooks, I think), was competitive in the Legacy format. But it was more a blue/white control deck that just happened to include a couple of the best Slivers in those colors.

I've been having trouble making it in large scale tournaments. I do really well in my local metagame, I regularly top 4 in weekly "store credit as prize" tournaments with an average of like 25 players, and I outright won a tournament with a cash prize of $310 about a month ago, but I cannot translate that success into a large-scale win.

I took essentially the same deck (Valakut Titan) I used in the cash prize tournament to the Star City Games 5K in Indianapolis two weeks ago and went 1-3 and proceeded to drop out of the tournament. I mean, I realize that I'm probably not pro-level, but I think I'm at least good enough to maintain a winning record.

jgeis on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    NERDS

carry on

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I miss old school Magic

chaosorb4391700.jpgshahrazad4544225.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    NERDS

carry on

he posted on the penny-arcade official message board

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SoaL wrote: »

5 people sit in a circle and each person is allied with the people on either side of them and enemies with the two people across from them

very political

yes this this format is so fun
    i was playing it with spreadem (with naya charms because experimentation), and my two enemies were orzhov and U/W control

the most political game

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What was the name of that card that allowed you to play it if the opponent wasn't looking?

I think it was a blue djinn.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What was the name of that card that allowed you to play it if the opponent wasn't looking?

It was cheatyface from unhinged.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Hmm, I don't recall that one. There were a bunch of junk djinns that came out in Arabian Nights, like this guy:

mijaedjinn15205875.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ultimakay wrote: »

It was cheatyface from unhinged.

Yes! I loved that card. Such a smirk on that fat djinn's face.

ftl32_cheatyFace.jpg

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do people still play for ante?

115663108.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I haven't played for ante in years. Too hard to find someone willing to bet.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Officially you cant play with ante and any cards having to deal with ante are banned from any sort of tournament play. That said ive played games again people and we would bid our junk rares that neither of us would use.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JoeUser wrote: »

Hmm, I don't recall that one. There were a bunch of junk djinns that came out in Arabian Nights, like this guy:

snip

These guys rocked though
    9.jpg

32.jpg

serendib_efreet.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i am so fucking terrible at magic

well, i make really good green decks, but every other color i do tewwibly with

except white i do okay with white i guess

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It took me so long to get even decent at making decks, like 8 years. I didnt really start getting better at magic till I started playing with better people outside of my casual group of friends.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i have made some pretty fun blue decks

and knight decks

but i just can't ever get a hold of black

Swill on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i had a pretty fun mill deck

i would mill their deck, and then search their graveyard and pick stuff out of it for free

Swill on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magic is great. I like using the plane shift cards to spice up 4 player games

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SoaL wrote: »

very political

yes this this format is so fun
    i was playing it with spreadem (with naya charms because experimentation), and my two enemies were orzhov and U/W control

the most political game

me and my ally were a turn away from infinite turns with our pair of lighthouse chronologists but his other ally day of judgmented before we could

I even had a contingency plan where I would give someone else control of his chronologist if things didn't go my way

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My LGS is so awesome.

If any of you guys are in the Peoria area and haven't played at Just for Fun, shame on you! Shame!

Klendy on
    goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My brother had a Counter/Millstone/Prosperity deck, and a few of those things that let him not discard cards. He'd be sitting there with like 20 cards in his hand, Wrath of God and Swords to Plowshares all my creatures, and making me draw a buttload of cards every turn with Howling Mines, most of which I had to discard or got countered.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    When my friends got back into it I found all my old cards and made the stupidest deck I could manage

basically it was a 100 card white wall deck with holy days and other fog effects and life gain and whatever

and I would just sit there

and let them deck themselves

i don't deserve friends

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Basically I was not good at Magic.

I introduced my friend to the game; within a few months he was beating the shit out of me with Rebels.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Infect is a pretty fun ability.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I really want to play as Mirroden, I love Battle Cry and I love white/red/green.

Yet I have open 3 Blightsteel's out of the 6 packs I've bought.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MeckMeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wish I had your kind of luck. Haven't even opened a mythic in ages.

My golem deck could use one of those guys, but they cost a little too much for me to consider buying.

Meck on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So I really want to play as Mirroden, I love Battle Cry and I love white/red/green.

Tell me where you live so I can sneak into your house and take your things.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

dude, sell your blightsteels and buy singles to make your battlecry deck

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No stores around here buy single cards. Otherwise I would have sold my Koth when I got it ages ago.

Instead I built a deck around Koth, and am putting the Blightsteels in my artifact deck.

My favorite thing about magic is naming my deck. My artifact deck is called "Mixed Martial Artifacts" and my control/mill deck is called "Blue Is For Dicks"

Bucketman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Soltari Priest + Empyrial Armor + Land Tax = 8-)

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    for giggles my friend and I played our elf decks against each other

at the end I had well over 20,000 health and we were hitting each other for numbers so high we were having a hard time counting them up.

snap on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    i'm trying to throw together an intet edh deck
    and i need ideas
    someone give me ideas :(

that or a doran the siege tower

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wellwisher.

Fuck Wellwisher.

I started playing in onslaught. I don't think I can remember a time when I didn't hate wellwisher. Even when playing my elf/beast deck.

SLyM on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a bunch of joke decks I pull out during free tournaments. My favorite one is my Rite of Replication deck. It's pretty dirty when you replicate a Malikar Bloodwitch and make your opponent lose 30 life, or replicating Acidic Slimes and getting rid of my opponent's lands.

I usually run Knights, B/G Infect, or Pyromancer's Ascension during FNM, although I do have a Planeswalker control deck I occasionally pull out as well.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I once made an eye of the storm/grip of chaos deck.

Funniest deck ever but SO bad.

SLyM on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm just a draft junkie, with maybe the occasional sealed deck thrown in. Also pretty much just with the onlines these days (I'm looking forward to Besieged coming out this week). I haven't handled paper cards since Shadowmoor, and that was after a long paperless break already.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

IF you don't have a good trading community ...

Channelfireball.com has a decent buylist and gives 30 percent extra if you take store credit instead of cash. They're buying Blightsteels now for $5 each, so your three would amount to just under $20 in credit, which should be plenty to get you the start toward a good Battle Cry deck.

And for those of us who opened/drafted a ton of Zendikar, Channelfireball is still buying Nighthawks for $1 (aka $1.30 in store credit). I had about 15 just sitting in my box and sent them all but a playset to fund my latest cube acquisitions.

Love this stupid moneysink of a game so much.

Huxley on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Magic was how I first discovered ebay.

Back in the days before you needed a credit card to have an Ebay account.

KalTorak on