As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Serious Sam 3: BFE - Jewel of the Nile DLC out tomorrow!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    I don't see evidence or mention of Iron Sighting anywhere.

serious-sam-3-ironsights.jpg

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Sure, but there are also reticles prevalent on the screens too.

I'm willing to bet that's a zoom mode for that particular gun.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    According IGN's E3 preview, anyway, "a couple of guns" allow ADS, while the rest do not. So take that as you will.

• Options
    Doesn't really sound like a big deal to me.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    The only thing I'm not happy about is that the suicide bombers seem to have an eye now. THem being headless and running and screaming was just hilarious. Otherwise this is looking tastey!

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    New Croteam interview on Blistered Thumbs with new pics!
    http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/08/interview-serious-sam-3-bfe-developers-croteam/

I'm dying to know what the Sirian Mutilator weapon is. :D

Pics from the article:
    3B5qa.jpg
    RY52r.jpg
    aHXFQ.jpg
    VWYfd.jpg
    iXjue.jpg

• Options
    Regenerating health has really slowed down the pace of modern shooters. Where is the fun in running away from an epic firefight and kneeling around the block to wait from your health to come back? Serious Sam is about fast-paced, arcade style action, so we want players to keep their finger on the trigger and run towards health pickups or armor if they are getting blasted.

Yes.
    Gamers can hide behind whatever they like in the game, but that’s not how a Serious Sam is meant to be played. Grab a weapon and unleash some fury on the encroaching hordes of Mental’s forces if you want to have some fun. Oh, and if you do try and hide, the enemies will eventually tear down many of the walls and columns to get to you.

YES.

This is the anti-MW3/BF3/modernwarfareeverything3. Do want so hard.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssss

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh man... You guys are not ready...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Un4uzdc1r0

The last part with the new Sirian Mutilator weapon had my jaw on the floor. :shock:

• Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    Is the sledge hammer Sam's crowbar? :)

• Options
    RSPRSP Registered User regular
    Gotta say, I was pretty worried in the initial minutes where it's just one enemy at a time around corners, and he's just waiting for them with the hammer. I was comforted somewhat around 2:20 when we finally got to see some maneuvering around multiple enemies, and by the end it was looking like pretty familiar Sam gameplay - especially when the player funneled all the headless bombers through that little tunnel to pop them all in one shot. Serious Sam usually doesn't get interesting until you get several weapons to play around with and the game can start throwing a variety of enemies at you to force you to switch between them rapidly, so that was pretty good considering it only featured the sledgehammer and DE.

I like to think that at some point they had a conversation about the tendency of games to use 'bloody screen' and decided that the only blood they'd have on their screen wouldn't be Sam's.

Also, those jump sounds are eerily familiar after playing Quake 1.

• Options
    I was reading one of the articles where the writer also said that he was worried about how slow it was at first. He then went on to say that he realized he had nothing to worry about when enemies started busting down walls next to him and charging in making things crazy frantic. I'm guessing a few more minutes and we would have seen the sirian werebulls showing up doing just that.

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    Not gonna watch those minutes. I can't wait to live 'em.

That said, I did watch the debut trailer. Any trepidation I felt about the art style and it's realism are gone. That was beautiful. Also, seeing that last weapon was just a wonderful nudge-nudge-wink-wink.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Yes. The bit with the Lazer Lasso thingy. Cheezus Key-RIST that was cool.

Also loving the release price. I'm so happy that there are guys around like Croteam and Tripwire that are giving the video game price hike the finger.

• Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Drake wrote:

Also loving the release price. I'm so happy that there are guys around like Croteam and Tripwire that are giving the video game price hike the finger.
    Not only that, but the preorder discount is 20% instead of the usual 10%. Unless that is part of the weekday madness? Even so, its still awesome.

EDIT: Oops, fine print read: Extra 10% is if you own ANY Serious Sam game.

Stregone on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    IdolNinja wrote:
    First 10 minutes of gameplay! :rotate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMpiLLPWaN0

Why would they release a video with "low" graphics settings?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    “Serious Sam 3: BFE will launch at a seriously awesome price so you can punk your friends that pay $60 for a FPS where you duck behind walls half the time.”

ahahahaha

<3 Croteam

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Stregone wrote:
    Drake wrote:

Not only that, but the preorder discount is 20% instead of the usual 10%. Unless that is part of the weekday madness? Even so, its still awesome.

EDIT: Oops, fine print read: Extra 10% is if you own ANY Serious Sam game.

That 20% off puts the game at ~30$, had to seriously pre-order it.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Asked in Steam thread but will ask in here just in case. If anyone that preordered would not mind letting me bogart your 85 percent discount on the older titles, I'd appreciate it. Low on paypal funds atm but have money in Steam Wallet, so would prfer to trade you a game or two of the same value of your choosing. Anyways, toss me a PM if interested/able.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Uuh, the Giant Bomb quick look... yeah, it's a preview build, but everything looks weirdly weightless and the guns sound completely ball-less. Shit tons of enemies on screen at once, though, so it's not completely awful, but...

reVerse on
  • Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Uuh, the Giant Bomb quick look... yeah, it's a preview build, but everything looks weirdly weightless and the guns sound completely ball-less. Shit tons of enemies on screen at once, though, so it's not completely awful, but...

Are you referring to Sam's low-inertia movement? It's always been like that, it's part of the game's super-responsive quick motion. They said the sound effects were possibly placeholder.

It looks pretty great to me.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Man oh man I love Croteam, the wacky bastards. They take the laser tether, the one thing Bulletstorm can claim to be a unique mechanic, and make it TEN TIMES MORE AWESOME. People Can Fly are now facing a much higher bar for their next title.

This really is gonna be the perfect melding of old-school shooter action with modern aesthetics and style that'll tide us over until the inevitable reveal of Doom 4, isn't it?

Edit: Ooooh, I just saw the whole Steam preorder discount thing. . . I'm wondering if my desktop will be able to run it at a decent clip.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm gonna wait on this, but its not through choice. Hopefully its on a neat discount Christmas. Who am I kidding? :lol:

• Options
    Just wait until the Steam Holiday sale; I'm sure it'll be one of the specials.

Watching that gameplay video, I have to say that I have no clue what purpose fine aiming serves other than as a sly jab at how cumbersome and out of place such a mechanic is in this type of game. I don't think the little bit of extra accuracy is going to help when backpedaling frantically from a horde of Kamikazies. Everything looks terrific though.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    It may help a bit with enemies like the Bird People. A little zoom to help out with distant targets would be nice. I mean, how much did anyone actually use the sniper rifle in Ep 2? Scoping in with that thing was just like asking a Kleer to charge right up your butt.

Drake on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    It may help a bit with enemies like the Bird People. A little zoom to help out with distant targets would be nice. I mean, how much did anyone actually use the sniper rifle in Ep 2? Scoping in with that thing was just like asking a Kleer to charge right up your butt.

The sniper rifle is awesome, especially on harder difficulties. It does more damage in scoped mode, so you use it to quick scope down far away enemies and the big guys before they can make things worse for you. Probably the best weapon against Arachnids, Fiendians and Biomechs, pretty excellent weapon against Werebulls, Pumpkinheads, spawning Harpies, and Zumb'uls. It is only complete ass against Reptiloids (better to suppress homing balls with a tommygun or minigun) and pretty bad for small enemies like kamikazes and kleers.

• Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    Walt wrote:
    Drake wrote:

The sniper rifle is awesome, especially on harder difficulties. It does more damage in scoped mode, so you use it to quick scope down far away enemies and the big guys before they can make things worse for you. Probably the best weapon against Arachnids, Fiendians and Biomechs, pretty excellent weapon against Werebulls, Pumpkinheads, spawning Harpies, and Zumb'uls. It is only complete ass against Reptiloids (better to suppress homing balls with a tommygun or minigun) and pretty bad for small enemies like kamikazes and kleers.

This man is correct. You can scope and shoot very quickly, and it pops a ton of enemies in one shot when scoped.

• Options
    Glad y'all liked it.

I didn't use it much.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I...I'm not sure I'm ready for this kinda of amazing. I haven't even been able to BEAT FE and SE...

I should try to get some co-op going sometime to do just that. I am bad at kleer dodging.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Glad y'all liked it.

I didn't use it much.

I think we can both agree that the flamethrower is sweet.

• Options
    I love the sniper rifle. I also love the flamethrower. In fact, I love every single weapon in Serious Sam. Each one tends to be particularly good against certain enemies so I'm often using my whole arsenal in different situations instead of just sticking with a favorite.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I tend to switch up a lot too. I think it's just scoping in Serious Sam freaks me out a bit. There's always that Gnarr you missed. I like having my field of view too much in a Serious Sam game.

But yeah, I do use it in certain situations. Just no where near as much as other stuff. So I won't mind at all if some weapon takes a kind of middle of the road approach there, offering some zoom for precision but also being useful in other situations too, like say at mid range unzoomed. But whatevs it's like hey, have fun and stuff.

And the Flamethrower is like totally sick.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Stoopid quote button where the edit was, like forever man.

Drake on
  • Options
    IdolNinja wrote:
    I love the sniper rifle. I also love the flamethrower. In fact, I love every single weapon in Serious Sam. Each one tends to be particularly good against certain enemies so I'm often using my whole arsenal in different situations instead of just sticking with a favorite.

Yep, this. Flamethrower against charging enemies or guys who get in your face, rapid fire weapons for quick crowd control, explosives for big guys, the sniper rifle for long distance stationary targets and Harpies, hell, even the revolvers help with saving more precious ammo on little guys the shotguns can't quite get.

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Pure class.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a good sequel to Painkiller, but this is still looking seriously awesome. I'll definitely be putting the splitscreen to use, too.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i love how all the human players look like generic guys in tshirts and jeans running around in the midst of a slavering horde of alien abominations. it is hilarious. i am going to play the shit out of this game.