As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Archive - Still open for business!

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote:
    Yeah, the initial crop of Deus Ex 3 LPs aren't too hot right now. I think it's because it's such a buzzed-about game that a lot of the Youtube players are trying to finish the game first and glossing over the details they really oughta be paying attention to, like actually reading the e-mails and Pocket Secretaries they come across. And paying attention to what they get from them when they do. I've actually seen one or two of the LPers hack computers when the password/code they need is RIGHT THERE above the Hack button.

To be fair I hacked everything I could even if I had the codes, seeing that you get exp and sometimes money from it.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Adus wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Yeah, the initial crop of Deus Ex 3 LPs aren't too hot right now. I think it's because it's such a buzzed-about game that a lot of the Youtube players are trying to finish the game first and glossing over the details they really oughta be paying attention to, like actually reading the e-mails and Pocket Secretaries they come across. And paying attention to what they get from them when they do. I've actually seen one or two of the LPers hack computers when the password/code they need is RIGHT THERE above the Hack button.

To be fair I hacked everything I could even if I had the codes, seeing that you get exp and sometimes money from it.

Yeah, I'd probably do that too, but I swear at least one of the guys I mentioned actually said out loud not having the code even when it was there in big text. Then they left the log-in screen to go try something else.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah! Time for a new LP! Just wanted to announce I'm starting up my Alpha Protocol LP finally. Intrigue! Sneakery! Lots of unintended-but-necessary murder!

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    Excellent.

I've just finished getting 100% on Alpha Protocol and thoroughly enjoyed it. It'll be interesting to see what way your run-through will go.

MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    i don't know how to rationally express in words how bad of an idea it is to lp a game barely a week out from release

just know that im very disappointed in you teg5511

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    i don't know how to rationally express in words how bad of an idea it is to lp a game barely a week out from release

Rent, I will LP every game that comes out on release day from now on.
    Look at "Space Marine". I LPed THE DEMO. I LPed THE GAME BEFORE IT IS EVEN OUT!!!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    klyka: the worst of all possible lpers rolled into one person

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    klyka: the worst of all possible lpers rolled into one person

- Critically acclaimed LPer Rent "Lent" Wonderman

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    downvoted

unsubbed

disliked

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    downvoted

unsubbed

disliked

I dunno, Klyka's mom wasn't that bad

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    downvoted

unsubbed

disliked

I dunno, Klyka's mom wasn't that bad

Joshofallmehs

So anyway, LPs.

I think my TRON Evolution LP should be finished in the next 2 sets, so I'm thinking about what to do next. Obviously Helloween and me will do the F3AR co-op LP, but I need something to solo too. Any ideas?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    lp deus ex human revolution

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    lp deus ex human revolution

I did that 35 minutes ago.

Any others?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    lp blueus blex blue man groupulation

Rent on
  • Options
    Rent wrote:
    lp blueus blex blue man groupulation

So, Sonic the Hedgehog? Ok!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    on a serious note, doing an lp of ghost trick would be p baller

ofc i dunno if you can be as good as the dude who's doing an SSLP of it on SA but you should give him a run for his money! :3

• Options
    Well, I would have to run it on my PC AND I have already beaten it...
    Also, I can't be better than an SA LPer, I'm really not all that good/funny.

I DID just order "Metroid Other M" again though, cause I want to put my Dazzle to use and Helloween and been bugging me with his horrible skills at the game, so I will show him how it's done :P

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    teg5511teg5511 Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:

noted :(

Gonna learn why the hard way, I guess?

• Options
    ok

i know that everyone here does lps for the e-cred (everyone who says they do it for the "purity/love of the medium" or w/e is lying to themselves, at least a little bit). but lping a game, esp blind lping a game barely a week out from release is such a transparent "i want to get views on this" move that it's just overwhelming

it's like, it's really just sorta crass and cynical

and i mean you can't be honest with yourself that youre putting out the absolute best product, best lp, best representation of the game you could be doing. i mean, it's just not possible, especially with a game as big and intricate and detailed like DX: HR, you're not showing off everything the game has to offer, your editing is probably not the best because your upload time is so quick, your commentary is by the very nature of it being a blind lp uninformed and not as knowledgeable as it could be...i mean i could make a list

new lpers shouldn't blind lp. as a matter of fact most lpers shouldnt blind lp because it by its very nature necessitates a bunch of stumbling around and uninformed decisions. and nobody likes to watch stumbling around and uninformed decisions

basically the reason the 3 month rule exists on sa is due to quality control. if you honestly think you can make an amazing lp of a game, then 90 days won't be any sort of problem and if anything will imporve the quality of your product, since you're given all that time to really know the game inside and out and prepare every video to be as well edited and paced as it needs to be

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    and nobody likes to watch stumbling around and uninformed decisions

To be fair, a lot of the times that is the thing people watch LPs for. Again, that is kinda Helloween's thing, bumbling through those horror games while people laugh their asses off.

I sometimes thought I should make bad decisions ON PURPOSE just so I have something funny in my LPs. I might have even done it once or twice...

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    helloween is the exception that proves the rule

• Options
    Honestly, I don't really care about the view count, I like the comments. I enjoy people talking about the game or talking with me, answering questions or getting tips on my playstyle etc...

I really wish more people would comment on my stuff :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I would love to, Klyka, but I can't stand video LPs. I've tried, I really have, I just get sick of them after 5 minutes. I have no clue why SSLPs work well with me and VLPs don't. That being said I've taken a look at a couple and went "this isn't bad" but...just me :(

There is one exception, however, if you consider SpeedRuns to be a kind of VLP.

• Options
    if you can't stand video lps you have obvs never seen a chip and ironicus lp

if you can't stand a chip and ironicus lp, well actually you don't legally exist so i don't know why i'm arguing with this nonentity

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    i know that everyone here does lps for the e-cred (everyone who says they do it for the "purity/love of the medium" or w/e is lying to themselves, at least a little bit). but lping a game, esp blind lping a game barely a week out from release is such a transparent "i want to get views on this" move that it's just overwhelming

it's like, it's really just sorta crass and cynical

and i mean you can't be honest with yourself that youre putting out the absolute best product, best lp, best representation of the game you could be doing. i mean, it's just not possible, especially with a game as big and intricate and detailed like DX: HR, you're not showing off everything the game has to offer, your editing is probably not the best because your upload time is so quick, your commentary is by the very nature of it being a blind lp uninformed and not as knowledgeable as it could be...i mean i could make a list

new lpers shouldn't blind lp. as a matter of fact most lpers shouldnt blind lp because it by its very nature necessitates a bunch of stumbling around and uninformed decisions. and nobody likes to watch stumbling around and uninformed decisions

basically the reason the 3 month rule exists on sa is due to quality control. if you honestly think you can make an amazing lp of a game, then 90 days won't be any sort of problem and if anything will imporve the quality of your product, since you're given all that time to really know the game inside and out and prepare every video to be as well edited and paced as it needs to be

Yes, pretty much.

I do it as much for personal enjoyment of it as I do for the e-cred, though, and figure that if anything being crass about this LP would lower it.

I have it in my head that I will be able to put out a better LP of that game when my reactions to all the zany plot twists and reveals are genuine, rather than knowing whats coming up so that I can showcase a few extra hidden vents, but being bored with the story/dialogue. It's an adventure game. Sho

Obviously, you could be right and it will ultimately not turn out well, but then I will learn first hand and can be happy about not doing it again, instead of secretly thinking that it would be wonderful.

(The noble answer to this would to just not play the game for 3 months, but honestly I don't have the willpower to avoid playing it or stumbling upon spoilers. Or storing all of the videos on my computer for 3 months, but I lack the harddrive space I think...)

ANYWAYS, thanks for keeping me honest, or at least trying to :p

Syphyre wrote:
    I would love to, Klyka, but I can't stand video LPs. I've tried, I really have, I just get sick of them after 5 minutes. I have no clue why SSLPs work well with me and VLPs don't. That being said I've taken a look at a couple and went "this isn't bad" but...just me :(

There is one exception, however, if you consider SpeedRuns to be a kind of VLP.

Interesting! I'm the opposite, I've never been able to stay focus/interested in a SSLP for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

...actually, might you recommend me a really good one so that I can put this to the test? Maybe I'm just reading crummy ones.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I am so internet famous now that I have posted all my LPs on Penny Arcade

Just the other day a dude came up to me and told me he's seen all my stuff and asked me to sign his asscrack

And the god damn paparazzi was there

Oh well, no such thing as bad publicity

Now to go snort a combination of crack and my own fame, because being famous has obligated me to do so

• Options
    I'm always dissatisfied with the technical side of my LPs. I really really wish I had a better internet connection. When I did Timeshift in HD, it was really cool but the uploads took SO LONG and kept crashing so I had to redo them over and over. It once took me TWO DAYS to get a set uploaded!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    I've always been able to get HD stuff uploaded overnight while I slept (advanced uploader woo), but I find proper audio levels and smooth framerate and all that much more important than 720p, and you obviously have all that down pat. So I wouldn't worry too much about it?

• Options
    teg5511 wrote:
    I've always been able to get HD stuff uploaded overnight while I slept (advanced uploader woo), but I find proper audio levels and smooth framerate and all that much more important than 720p, and you obviously have all that down pat. So I wouldn't worry too much about it?

Hm, that is important, yeah, but still. I am a bit of a graphics whore, you know.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Then sleep longer/upload slower to get that delicious, delicious 720p.

• Options
    Take out the word graphics and it's a pretty accurate post.
    What are you doing later
    <3

In all seriousness I don't try to do the HD thing. I make sure my videos are watchable and decent enough quality to not look like ass and then they go up. One time a video was like 5 gigs in size and then I decided I was going to compress things from then on.

• Options
    Josh, I think the two of us need to do something co-op. With lots of swearing.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Number Munchers Co-Op!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote:

I DID just order "Metroid Other M" again though, cause I want to put my Dazzle to use and Helloween and been bugging me with his horrible skills at the game, so I will show him how it's done :P

God dammit Klyka if you do Other M I neeeeeeeed to comment on that shit. Or do my own LP in defiance!

assuming I ever finish my other LP gerd dang

• Options
    Trynant wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

God dammit Klyka if you do Other M I neeeeeeeed to comment on that shit. Or do my own LP in defiance!

assuming I ever finish my other LP gerd dang

If I can set everything up with my Dazzle, I WILL do Other M, definitely!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The 3 month rule is to stop people from shitting out LPs just after a game comes out solely to be the "first" person to do it, or to get those so very important views, likes or subscriptions. However, that's not to say that everyone who does an LP immediately after a game is released is looking for that. It could be a game they're really looking forward to and want to share their first reactions like teg said. Blind LPs may not show off everything the game has to offer, but sometimes I'd rather watch someone respond to a game rather than just explain it to me. There are a lot of blind LPs out there that are actually really amusing, not just stuff from Helloween. The Persona 4 Endurance Run on Giant Bomb is a blind LP and in no way would it have been as interesting or funny if the guys knew what was coming.

There was even a point while playing DE:HR that I considered LPing it myself already, because I was just enjoying it so much and it's only natural to want to share an enjoyable experience with other people. If it weren't for knowing people were going to be watching my antics in GTA then I might not have had as much fun playing the game. Driving into a restaurant, or having a car fall on me, or whatever, is funny but less so if you're the only person seeing it.

So yeah I guess you could technically say people who LP like this are doing it for the views but really everyone is.
    Klyka wrote:
    I'm always dissatisfied with the technical side of my LPs. I really really wish I had a better internet connection. When I did Timeshift in HD, it was really cool but the uploads took SO LONG and kept crashing so I had to redo them over and over. It once took me TWO DAYS to get a set uploaded!

To be honest this is one of the reasons I wore out on LPing. Just spending so much time making sure the videos look decent, and I still never really found a great way to do it. So I kind of felt like I was spending hours on a mediocre product.

I probably should still finish Gay Tony, but when my computer busted I actually lost like 4 videos so the thought of redoing them is making me lazy. That's even assuming my saved games backed up properly. If they didn't then having to start over entirely is bleh.

Klyka I also agree that you should totally do Other M.

Adus on
  • Options
    I am not authorized to do that, Adus.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    This may be my new favorite thing. Be broke, doing college again, and starting a new LP that I've been wanting to do. THEN... Windows drive crashes beyond repair. No I'm having to restore from a system image from last fucking year and I have no idea if even that will work. And even if it does work, I'm losing a bunch of personal shit because everything crashed so bad I couldn't even get the drive to show up with a recovery tool.

Pretty awesome.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT. I had the backup image stored on another drive, so what does Windows do? That's right, it installs the fucking imaged drive over the drive I had the image stored in. All without telling me it would do that. So now I've lost everything I had on the crashed drive (a couple hundred GB), lost everything I had on the drive storing the backup (over 500 GB), and lost about 500 GB storage off of a 1 TB drive because of the fucking partition shit from the system image.

Talk about some fucked-up shit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I totally and completely and wholeheartedly feel your pain.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    This is, hands-down, the absolute worst system fuck-up I've ever experienced. Not only did I lose all of my personal stuff, the damned recovery program just shat all of my games down the hole because it restored the system right over the top of the drive containing every game I own.

So glad it didn't fucking warn me so I could just get a replacement drive instead.

EDIT: I'm now I'm going to have to get a new drive anyway, try to save what I can from the system restore, reformat the second trashed hard drive so I can get it back up to full capacity, and reinstall windows and all the drivers all over again again.

Ninja Snarl P on