As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerding Out

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The girl who played Boom Boom was hot so I looked her up via imdb, and she is going to be in the new 47 Ronin! I didn't know they were making 47 Ronin!

Keanu Reeves is in it! Fuck I hope he doesn't ruin it!

you know she gets naked in Babel, right

which is an incredible film that everyone should see

I had no idea until GIS kindly informed me of every frame of nudity she ever provided the world. No point seeing the movie now.

:/

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Uriel wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    weaver do they have guest passes for RIFT?

It just went live a couple weeks ago so, no, not yet

shoot I might just buy it then.

I had fun with the stress test.

If you do I'm with the knights of arcadia guild in the G&T thread, but roll where ever you feel like
    still a short log-in queue sometimes during peak hours, got hit with a twenty minute wait on saturday afternoon

Weaver on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    holy shit
    Looper is an upcoming science fiction film written and directed by Rian Johnson, which will star Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Paul Dano. It will be produced by Ram Bergman through Endgame Entertainment Pictures.[1]

that sounds like a fucking dream

Shane Carruth is also contributing in some (still a bit hazy) capacity. Making Looper his first film project since Primer.

Fuck yeeeees.

I actually haven't seen Primer, but from what I understand that is very thrilling

wow I really want to see this movie

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I get really nerdy about fish and fishtanks and reptiles and snakes and shit to a point where I know people are sick of hearing me rant about it but I JUST CAN'T STOP

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When I am driving I count the number of Ford Mustangs I see and conclude that Mustangs are not cool because they are so damn common.

I think you need the hipster thread sir.

Nah, but seriously Mustangs were cool back in the day, the new ones look to big/heavy imo. I'm not a car guy though so *shrug*

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also I rolled a mage and basically got him to 47 now. Mages are bad at the moment so :(

I did my preorder too late to get into the headstart, then I took a few days for DA2, so I'll be hitting 30 tonight on my rogue

Weaver on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    When I'm driving somewhere with friends, I have to remind myself often that no, no one else cares why California freeway exits did not have numbers until very recently.

Or the detailed history of the Lost Interstates of Atlanta.

the latter sounds intriguing

Check out this map of Atlanta:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.747751,-84.312515&spn=0.222666,0.445976&z=12

Georgia 400 and I-675 are actually remnants of the planned north-south reliever Interstate through eastern Atlanta. To the east, you can also see US-78's freeway section (the Stone Mountain Freeway) - this was supposed to connect to 75/85 at the Freedom Parkway interchange, which is why that's a big huge stack interchange for a relatively dinky 4-lane road.

What happened?

Well, this stuff was being planned in the early 70's, when freeway revolts were beginning to sweep the nation. Residents of East Atlanta protested the roads and chained themselves to the bulldozers and stuff. Eventually, then-Governor Jimmy Carter killed the project, and later placed his Presidential Library at the site where the two planned Interstates would've met.

huh
    I will try to notice this when I'm next in Atlanta

Tam on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nah I can't be a hipster because I hate the Nissan cube and if I were to have any car it wouldn't be hipster.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the new white mountain dew is really good guys

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have got into SO MANY arguments

About Oxford Commas

Oh my god.

Fucking Oxford Commas.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    the new white mountain dew is really good guys

wrong it is disgusting

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    facetious wrote: »
    I have got into SO MANY arguments

About Oxford Commas

Oh my god.

Fucking Oxford Commas.

They rule shut up

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I used to double space after periods constantly as a kid. Apparently it was just a thing popular during the type writer days. Cool. And series commas are the way to go.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Instead of commas I sometimes use hot dogs

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I used to love to argue about grammar and shit

Now it just makes me tired

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We had a lengthy discussion about the stylistic uses of ellipses in creative writing today at work, and within 3 minutes I was ready to hang myself

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Houk wrote: »

now play with language! it's more fun

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like Rift but I hope the endgame at 50 is better than 45-49 because I am struggling to get there now.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    We had a lengthy discussion about the stylistic uses of ellipses in creative writing today at work, and within 3 minutes I was ready to hang myself

Ellipses in dialogue? Eh, used sparingly, it's alright. Ellipses in prose? My oh my is it terrible and bad and also not good.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »

now play with language! it's more fun
    yeah that is what I started doing soon after I got a 9-5 as a writer

sadly, many people in my work and personal life obsess over grammar points and worry so much about being technically right that they don't make enough time for actually writing something interesting

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Ellipses in dialogue? Eh, used sparingly, it's alright. Ellipses in prose? My oh my is it terrible and bad and also not good.
    Dialogue is what we were discussing. Working on games and anime translation, they come up a lot more than in other media (and a lot more than they should)

Some of us favor the "Hey you...look at me" style, while others go for the "Hey you... Look at me" style

I have a definite preference, but I'd really rather not discuss the finer points of it for more than, say, 30 seconds of my life. Just do it how you wanna do it, leave me the fuck alone, and get back to writing

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I abuse and misuse ellipses frequently.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i own three warhammer fantasy armies

i own penny arcade t-shirts

once a friend and i got drunk at jack astors and we drew a map of middle earth by memory on the table cloth

the waiter gave us a weird look

fuck him

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like Rift but I hope the endgame at 50 is better than 45-49 because I am struggling to get there now.

If my MMO experiences in every game I've played since my first entry into the genre way back when UO was the big shit have taught me anything, it's that taking your time to enjoy the mid-game is way better than trying to rush towards the end game.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ellipses are for tension in prose what exclamation points are for excitement - ridiculously unnecessary if you've written anything even halfway compelling.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the other night whilst drunk as fuck i talked to my girlfriend about lord of the rings for an hour
    she has never read lord of the rings and it was all gibberish to her

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    one of my coworkers likes to torture me by purposely ending skype messages with things like '..,'

it hurts me just to type that

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    An ellipsis . . . should look like that

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Damn girl, that be nerdy as fuck.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

If my MMO experiences in every game I've played since my first entry into the genre way back when UO was the big shit have taught me anything, it's that taking your time to enjoy the mid-game is way better than trying to rush towards the end game.

I do dungeons as I level and level up my crafting skills, it's just the quests suck and are all spread out in the end zones. Plus the EXP for turning them in is pitiful and I almost think you are better grinding from 47-50 as far as leveling goes.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    one of my coworkers likes to torture me by purposely ending skype messages with things like '..,'

it hurts me just to type that

!!,

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ubik wrote: »
    that's one of those things that i just learned recently and never did in college and never had anyone correct me about

and in my line of work, three dots with spaces in between looks crazy awkward onscreen and also eats up valuable character limit real estate, so thankfully nobody goes for that

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I do dungeons as I level and level up my crafting skills, it's just the quests suck and are all spread out in the end zones. Plus the EXP for turning them in is pitiful and I almost think you are better grinding from 47-50 as far as leveling goes.

What server are you on?

Also shit I need to log in, I logged out right in the middle of some iron ore locations and I need my metals

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Belmont, with the PvE goon guild (The one without annoying pricks)

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    a friend of mine is a copywriter and uses ellipses all the damn time

in headlines and bylines even

#pipe on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Huh. All my experiences in that same length of time (no UO, I started with MUDs and skipped to everquest) have been that the game isn't really full until endgame.

Although, in fairness, this has always been with making subsequent characters. That very first character you make you do want to enjoy to new sights and sounds and mechanics. But it doesn't necessarily mean the middle game is good, just that it is new.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i like how houk is all 'i hate punctuation arguments' so we immediately start to have one

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ubik wrote: »
    that's one of those things that i just learned recently and never did in college and never had anyone correct me about

and in my line of work, three dots with spaces in between looks crazy awkward onscreen and also eats up valuable character limit real estate, so thankfully nobody goes for that

if you're worried about character limits, there is a single character ellipsis in unicode. Behold …

#pipe on
  • Options
    Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My friend and I once went into at least an hour or two long descriptions of relationships, various "new" force powers, and storyline plots of SW:EU to another buddy of mine. Granted the other guy wanted us to tell him about it cuz he was interested but never read anything but it's still quite nerdy.

Fun. But very nerdy.

I also realized I'm past a large part of any nerd arguing because a while ago I was at a comic shop picking up my fairly mediocre list of comics and overheard the classic "who would win: wolverine/hulk/iron-man/etc etc". I just rolled my eyes and told my girlfriend at the time that she needn't not worry that I make a scene like the one that was occurring right that.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know a bunch of different programming languages

also vidya gaems

Tossrock on