As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    conceptcreature11042011.jpg

oh god why didn't i study drapery

Not sure where I'm headed painting-wise, but considering this had no line work at all I feel like I might be going forward, if ever so slightly

kevindee on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    drapery is by far the easiest thing to study. Do you lack clothing and a camera?

snow2.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    are... are you coming on to kevin wakka?
    Do you lack clothing and a camera?

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This might be the last thing I ever do with markers. Why the hell did I even buy em? Apparently Faber-Castell pens and Prismacolor markers don't play well together. This was done on 100lb bristol and the shit still ran together. Oh well....

marker1.jpg

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mes3, I think that's great! I love using markers!!

melting_doll on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Photo ref sketches
    ref1.jpg
    doodles4-11-2011.jpg
    Credits to random Google Image Searching and a pic grabbed from Iruka's DA ref folder. (NSFW)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mes3, I think that's great! I love using markers!!

I mean, yea, that looks pretty much amazing, and I don't think it ran together in a way which looks bad or accidental to the rest of us. That is really incredible.

streever on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mes3, are those the Faber Castell PITT brush pens you're talking about? I'd replace those before I gave up on markers. Your marksmanship (ucwatididther) looks pretty good.

That is a super lovely lady, Bacon.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lovin that hydra wakk.

2 hr speed enviro

lighths.jpg

and steve the manatee!

He's still a WIP, but i'm going to have him in sweat bands lifting a weight in the one hand and eatin gthe candy bar in the other while watching tv.

mant.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Demon meth addiction.
    Cowboy-1.jpg
    (Spoilered for h-scroll bustage.)

I wanna poke that manatee's belly. Poke poke.

Edit:

Methistopheles.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reading 'demon meth addiction' makes me think I should be reading that from right to left, as in that's what happens to a demon when it's addicted to meth.

lyrium on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So basically finished off my concepts for my four horsemen. not really happy with the third guy, but im happy with the second and fourth one.
    tomorrow im going to be finalising the designs and start drawing these up in illustrator.

28anvbr.jpg

abandoned this as a concept as the shape was getting too compicated (and the armour was heading too far into Vegeta territory), but i'll still finish it off me thinks

14aefme.jpg

digging the latest posts wakkawa!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Those are the best horsemen.

And I'm back from an extended art break:
    doodleship.png

I learned or remembered some things from doing that:
    • Always work bigger than the intended final size (whoops)
    • Lots of paper practice is a really good idea (3 drawings on paper had a big impact on what I could do via tablet)
    • Planning helps a lot (I don't even know what's going on there)

MKR on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rhymes with plink...
    dscf1454yl.jpg
    ... And a Mother's Day card
    dscf1473y.jpg

Experiments in Brush and Ink
    dscf1453q.jpg
    dscf1475m.jpg
    dscf1477d.jpg

sharky t on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Photo ref sketches
    ref1.jpg

Credits to random Google Image Searching and a pic grabbed from Iruka's DA ref folder. (NSFW)

Are you intentionally keeping to only light tones here? Its beautifully rendered, i was just curious if the lightness was intended?

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would guess that it was intentional. (Looks great, too!)

Anyway, here is a thing. Need to clean up/actually draw the hands...

brokennerd.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    figuredrawing13042011.jpg

getting on dem necks

By the way, does anyone know if there are any canonical works on the female figure, because that's where I struggle the most, and a lot of books focus on beefy, handsome men. Getting flowing lines out is like pulling goddamn teeth with me :<

kevindee on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I remember seeing some in the Questions thread OP a long time ago.

blankstarebot.png

MKR on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Photo ref sketches
    ref1.jpg

Are you intentionally keeping to only light tones here? Its beautifully rendered, i was just curious if the lightness was intended?

Sort of- if I were going to take this to a finish I'd introduce a wider value range, but I was just trying to work on getting the structure right in a simplified 2 tone for this. I usually have to opposite problem of introducing too many dark values too quickly and letting the drawing suffer for it, so I'm trying to force myself to work lightly (though I really wish doing so were as easy in natural media as it is in Photoshop- I have a bad habit of gouging pitch-black canyons of graphite into my paper due to my heavy handedness/indelicate way of working.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    figurestudy14042011smal.jpg

more figure stuff. This one was off the top of my head, and it shows. Pretty pleased with it nonetheless for what it is

I probably shouldnt have spent an hour colouring a 10 minute sketch though

kevindee on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Have you tried some programs other than PS? There are some notable differences between Paint Tool Sai, OC and Alias sketchbook that might be worth looking into for the digital side.

I have tried OC in the past, but it was a long time ago. Are you talking about just the free 1.1 version, or do you suggest I purchase it? Alias sketchbook and Paint tool sai I have not used. Is there a particular one you think is best/you use most?

Also sometimes with me and these things it's just my lack of knowledge about brush settings, so I messed around a little today with that. Maybe not what I should go with, but I feel like it gives a better sense of shapes than the old way. Will keep trying things.

sketch_test_by_radar6590-d3e0l7l.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    Sonia BladeSonia Blade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really like this!!!!!!

Sonia Blade on
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I really like all the paintings and drawings on here. It's something I am trying to aspire to do. Just looking at the drawings makes me wanna improve :P

Sonia Blade on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    I am more of a painter than an inker, but SAI tends to have smoother strokes, which makes me relax while sketching on the tablet. A lot of the manga people use it for very clean inks.

Alias best feature is the canvas itself, which is very mobile. Once you get used to the controls, Its a little more fluid to navigate around than in PS, which can help bring a good flow back into sketching.

With OC, I've only used the free one. I think of the three it probably provides the least difference, but there are manga people who still use OC for inks too.

Iruka on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SKETCHBOOK PRO
    I cannot stress enough how good sketchbook pro's pencil is

Also, Radar, if PS is all you've got, if you want more organic feeling lines, turn the flow on your brushes way way down (like 20%)

Tam on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Radar, I feel like Manga Studio would really lend itself well to your line style, especially the pen tools.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Mes3, are those the Faber Castell PITT brush pens you're talking about? I'd replace those before I gave up on markers. Your marksmanship (ucwatididther) looks pretty good.

Yeah, I love the FB pens for doing outlines though. Never had a problem with bleeding until I used these Prismacolor markers with em. Do the Prisma's have some sort of thinner in em? They do give off a decent chemical smell.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    alcohol, I think

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    drapery is by far the easiest thing to study. Do you lack clothing and a camera?

snow2.jpg
    This is so beautiful!

Sonia Blade on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is the first time I've done something like this.:?
    skullpendulum_wip2_by_emir0-d3e17bm.png
    Alt version:
    skullpendulum_wip1_by_emir0-d3e17a5.png
    Does the pendulum swing too much?

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    uh, well space put the circles as you move away from the center bottom
    the pendulum accelerates swinging down, but decelerates swinging up, so you'd see fewer images per unit of distance

right now it looks like a sort of fan to me

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Makin' toast

toaster.png

MKR on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    uh, well space put the circles as you move away from the center bottom
    the pendulum accelerates swinging down, but decelerates swinging up, so you'd see fewer images per unit of distance

right now it looks like a sort of fan to me
    Aha!
    Yes, thanks tam!

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    bblllurrrrgghhh I hate warming up

edit: well actually that's not true, I just hated it today

24z9hr4.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    conceptpractice15042011s.jpg

God, environment stuff is hard as hell. i have serious issues with creating depth, volume, and detailing. I get to some stage like this and want to add details, and i just don't know how.

kevindee on
  • Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel like I'm perpetually warming up Tam, atleast I have a new Radiohead record to look forward to today. Hurrah for Record store day

desert2copycopy.jpg

Esiotrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Iruka - How do you get pressure sensitivity to work in SAI? O.o

Tam - Currently all I have is PS. And yeah, I've been messing with flow. You're suggesting a hard brush with size sensitivity and a flow of 20%? It's not too bad, but I feel like you have to go over the lines so many times it loses some of the natural flow of the linework. I seem to be preferring a flow of 50%-70%, but I guess that's me. I'll look into Sketchbook pro, though.

jpeg - I have tried Manga studio... it does have a lot of interesting brushes, but for the most part I felt like they were similar to photoshop's pencil tool. Are there brushes you'd suggest?

And here's my most recent WIP for the sake of making this a doodle post (image is cropped for the sole character for now)-

nynycopy.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    In SAI, you want to use the ink pen or the pen, but you lower the "min size" to create a larger range for the brush you are using. The brush setting are under the tools.

Iruka on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In manga studio, I thoroughly enjoy the brush pen tool. It gives you badass swooshy inky lines very easily

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright, thanks :)

More WIP and also spoiler'd ref.

nynycopy2.jpg
    unled1sd.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
This discussion has been closed.