As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis 2 thread of [DIRECTX 11 OUT NOW!]

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Raaagh.

So, I got this game a few days ago. Pretty cool game.

I'm rather close to the end now, I think.
    Just killed what'shisname, the guy who's been wanting my head on a stick for the last crapload of hours.

I then died.

Here's where it gets hilarious! It now crashes when I try to load my save.

My ONLY save, because the game doesn't have save slots.

:D

.... :x

Is there ANY way to fix this, or am I fucked?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On PC? It saves at every chechpoint. Go back and try again.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    360. And I can't go back, unless the "Replay a Mission" spot will let me proceed?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Back to the start of the level.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    sullichin wrote: »
    While the campaign is better than any COD campaign I've played through, both games suffer from generic action stories that are really hard to give a shit about... it feels cheap and illusionary compared to how polished the actual game feels.

I wouldn't call it "generic" in the slightest considering the guy you are playing as
    Has been dead since the very beginning. A walking zombie if you will.

I've never encountered that in a sci-fi game.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Good news for Radeon users, drivers for Dual GPU/ SLi Users

Large improvements apparently, users reporting 30-55% increases.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    While the campaign is better than any COD campaign I've played through, both games suffer from generic action stories that are really hard to give a shit about... it feels cheap and illusionary compared to how polished the actual game feels.

I wouldn't call it "generic" in the slightest considering the guy you are playing as

He's not really dead from the beginning - he's dying, but certainly not dead. The suit basically acts as his life support, growing into him in an effort to keep him breathing. By the end he's an amalgam - I don't agree that he's a zombie... he's more like a gestalt entity with all the experiences of the suit and Prophet wrapped together, but I actually think HE is still the primary driver of the suit, though he's very closely aligned with it.

Docken on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    He's post human

This aspect of the game was the best part of the "story". The aliens and invasion kind of felt secondary to the development of the suit

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »

This doesn't ever actually figure into the game though. You're just a silent protagonist. The walking zombie aspect has no impact on the gameplay, and no impact on the story, other then not talking to anyone, which just got really annoying.

Nobody cares if Alcatraz is now a walking zombie, because Alcatraz was never a character in the first place. He was a nobody. And at the end, he becomes a nobody who calls himself Prophet. Or a nobody who's taken over by Prophet's embedded personality. But we never really got to know Prophet either. He was never fleshed out in Crysis 1, and we never learned anything about him in this game, except that he felt like shooting himself in the head at the beginning. Why did he have to kill himself and give you the nanosuit? I'm still not entirely sure.

The story is garbage. At the beginning, Prophet tells you to find Gould, with big sweeping dramatic music playing in the background. It's Prophet's last wish, he's killing himself so you have to pick up where he left off. It's meant to be your big imperative: find Gould. Well damn, Gould has to be this really important figure, huh? Gould has all the answers. Gould is the key to all of this.

...and then it turns out that Gould is actually just this hippy scientist dude who spews exposition at you. Wow, that was a letdown.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why did he have to kill himself and give you the nanosuit? I'm still not entirely sure.

Prophet killed himself to sever his connection to the suit and because he was fatally infected. He gives the suit to Alcatraz knowing that the suit was probably close to figuring the alien virus out, which it does later and makes Alcatraz immune to the virus.

The only iffy part is why you have to kill yourself to sever the connection to the suit. Does it have some sort of psychic link to you or something?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Why did he have to kill himself and give you the nanosuit? I'm still not entirely sure.

Prophet killed himself to sever his connection to the suit and because he was fatally infected. He gives the suit to Alcatraz knowing that the suit was probably close to figuring the alien virus out, which it does later and makes Alcatraz immune to the virus.

The only iffy part is why you have to kill yourself to sever the connection to the suit. Does it have some sort of psychic link to you or something?
    Considering the fact that it basically saved a copy of Prophet's mind, you can be pretty sure that there was some sort of mental link. It was more than just a cool piece of equipment.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »

Why didn't the suit protect him from infection? Why is the suit close to figuring out the virus? If it's so close, why doesn't Prophet just keep using it until it figures out the cure? How does he know that the suit is close to figuring out the cure but not close enough to keep him from dying? Did he have an exact ETA on when he was going to die from the infection?

Why was the suit capable of figuring out the cure? Was any of this suggested or explained in Crysis 1? Were Nomad and Psycho infected in the first game? Could their suits from the first game have figured out the cure from alien interaction?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why didn't the suit protect him from infection? Why is the suit close to figuring out the virus? If it's so close, why doesn't Prophet just keep using it until it figures out the cure? How does he know that the suit is close to figuring out the cure but not close enough to keep him from dying? Did he have an exact ETA on when he was going to die from the infection?

Why was the suit capable of figuring out the cure? Was any of this suggested or explained in Crysis 1? Were Nomad and Psycho infected in the first game? Could their suits from the first game have figured out the cure from alien interaction?

Most of it was probably just Prophet feeling he was about to bite it anyway so he figured it was best to do what he did before he turned into the rambling mess you see other civilians turn into.

In Crysis 1 the suit was basically just power armor. In Crysis 2 they expanded on it a lot and turned it into a symbiotic A.I construct based on alien technology that is self-evolving with almost magical powers.

In general they changed a lot of things in Crysis 2. For example, the aliens looked completely different in Crysis 1 and dealt with ice and freezing weapons and storm generators and in Crysis 2 they're a more traditional "power armored enemy" with mechs and dropships instead of giant squid walkers and flyers

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On that note Neli, I think the reasoning behind that is they're different... I dunno, 'peoples' or possibly from entirely different generations of the same species. Think about it, our technology advances at a ridiculous rate so it's not hard to fathom that an alien species could be using very different looking tech if they'd been sealed away at different times.

On that note, why have the Ceph put themselves into 'hibernation' under so many places on Earth? Was the event from the first game our very first encounter with them?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought Crytek confirmed that the Ceph were a different sub-species from the "aliens" in Crysis 1. BTW: Prophet was the only one to be abducted in the events of the first game. Something must have happened to him there. If you remember, he was acting sort of crazy at the end, when he wanted to go back and single-handedly take on the aliens.
    I think there were some hints to those events in the C2 cutscenes, I'm going to rewatch some of them right now!

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On that note, why have the Ceph put themselves into 'hibernation' under so many places on Earth? Was the event from the first game our very first encounter with them?

I believe the events of the first game was what caused the global re-emergence of the alien civilization, but I think I read somewhere that certain agencies, including the guys who built the crysis suit, had found some alien technology much earlier

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Prophet talks about his men as "dead men", so presumably they, Psycho and Nomad, will never leave their suits again as it will propably merge with them too. Post human warriors. What exactly happened to them isn't explained yet.
    And some of the footage also suggest that prophet swam all the way from the Lingshan to NY?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joril wrote: »
    Prophet talks about his men as "dead men", so presumably they, Psycho and Nomad, will never leave their suits again as it will propably merge with them too. Post human warriors. What exactly happened to them isn't explained yet.
    And some of the footage also suggest that prophet swam all the way from the Lingshan to NY?

MAXIMUM DOGGIE PADDLE

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Joril wrote: »

Nah, he probably just hitched a ride on the backend of the Navy aircraft carrier, like Michael J Fox did with his skateboard in Back to the Future.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Renaissance MandroidRenaissance Mandroid Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Forumite wrote: »
    He's post human

This aspect of the game was the best part of the "story". The aliens and invasion kind of felt secondary to the development of the suit

The post-human transformation was probably my favorite part; unfortunately, it isn't really explored in the game as well as it is in Peter Watt's excellent (if not exactly adhering to the game because it was probably written before the game went gold) novel, if only because he's one of a handful of authors that could be trusted with such a thought-provoking concept.
    Zzulu wrote:

It's left ambiguous;
    At the end, that Alcatraz identifies himself as Prophet as well as the endgame cut-scene and basically a crapton of implication from the book which didn't translate nearly as well into the game leaves the possibility open that Prophet didn't really "die". Even though it's made certain that at least an aspect of Prophet was left imprinted in the suit, with his memories and personality living past his body's expiration (even taking on his voice), a quote from Hargreave: "Life and death are for more malleable than than most people imagine, as you're finding out for yourself" and the end game quote from the big man himself: "Thought I'd gone? Well, I thought so too. But the suit, man; Hargeave was right... the suit changes all the rules." Calling the the protagonist the "Nanosuit 2.0" is as if not more accurate than "Alcatraz" or "Prophet", because in reality, it's somewhere in the middle of all three. The sack of meat interspersed with nerve bundles called Alcatraz was simply another component, as much as the CryFibril musculature or the Coltan-Titanium Exoskeleton. He's Laurence Barnes, too. Some... call him Prophet.

Renaissance Mandroid on
    ranar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    a quote from Hargreave: "Life and death are for more malleable than than most people imagine, as you're finding out for yourself"
    This sounds pretty good, yeah. But it had no effect in the actual game. Did I actually find out for myself that life and death are far more malleable? No, I just felt like any other FPS protagonist. I'm playing the game, I'm shooting people by aiming down the sights, I'm picking up ammo... where is this stuff about life and death? Oh, what about those scenes when I'm down on the ground slowly dying and having to use the defibrillator on myself? That wasn't anything, it was just me pushing a button to defib my heart. Did this really add to the gameplay or story? I didn't think so.

You wanna get across to the player that they're somehow "post human"... that's fine, that's all good. I'm always open to new experiences. But they did not deliver on this aspect of the game, it was like any other first person experience. Nothing about this life and death revelation actually had an impact on the game. Having Hargreave talk inside your helmet about it isn't enough, we've gotta actually feel that we're post human. And I didn't feel that, I just felt like I was playing in a special suit in an FPS. Yeah, you get access to special nanosuit abilities like cloak and armor and whatnot, but... post human? More malleable than life and death? That didn't happen at all.

They needed to learn how to "show, don't tell."

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    sullichinsullichin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The auto aim in the console version is a bit much. I think I'll turn it off...

sullichin on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    game is 30% off on Direct2Drive this weekend

uuugh what do I do, I just got Portal 2!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »

If you're looking to play the Crysis 2 multi on PC, don't.

Everything you unlock and progress made on those unlocks is gone when you log back in.

A fucking month later and it's still broken as hell.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's actually pretty mind boggling, Keen. I've been waiting for a price drop for SP alone, but it's pretty sad that MP is in such a poor state.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Everything you unlock and progress made on those unlocks is gone when you log back in.

Definitely agreed. Though there's some good news as well:
    1. Patch 1.3 announced, fixes many multiplayer issues, comes next week:
    http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=24683

2. Crysis 2 Editor will be released earlier this summer, as well as...
    3. Cryengine (3?) SDK, released in August.
    http://www.crymod.com/

At least they'll let us modify the game as we want, I'm sure the community will make a better Crysis 2 then Crytek did, most likely in terms of AI, weapon balance and the like, maybe even more destructable objects, new levels etc.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He's post human

The post-human transformation was probably my favorite part; unfortunately, it isn't really explored in the game as well as it is in Peter Watt's excellent (if not exactly adhering to the game because it was probably written before the game went gold) novel, if only because he's one of a handful of authors that could be trusted with such a thought-provoking concept.
    Zzulu wrote:

It's left ambiguous;
    At the end, that Alcatraz identifies himself as Prophet as well as the endgame cut-scene and basically a crapton of implication from the book which didn't translate nearly as well into the game leaves the possibility open that Prophet didn't really "die". Even though it's made certain that at least an aspect of Prophet was left imprinted in the suit, with his memories and personality living past his body's expiration (even taking on his voice), a quote from Hargreave: "Life and death are for more malleable than than most people imagine, as you're finding out for yourself" and the end game quote from the big man himself: "Thought I'd gone? Well, I thought so too. But the suit, man; Hargeave was right... the suit changes all the rules." Calling the the protagonist the "Nanosuit 2.0" is as if not more accurate than "Alcatraz" or "Prophet", because in reality, it's somewhere in the middle of all three. The sack of meat interspersed with nerve bundles called Alcatraz was simply another component, as much as the CryFibril musculature or the Coltan-Titanium Exoskeleton. He's Laurence Barnes, too. Some... call him Prophet.
    Very Altered Carbon. I get the feeling that Morgan had a lot of freedom with the plot, because it's like playing spot the trope.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    He's post human

Zzulu wrote:

It's left ambiguous;
    Very Altered Carbon. I get the feeling that Morgan had a lot of freedom with the plot, because it's like playing spot the trope.
    I don't mind this so much, because Altered Carbon is a great book.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

D:

oh.
    well ok then.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Still a great Singleplayer experience, though.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For the record, I discovered that the trick to getting unlocks to stick is to do your unlocking in the 30-40 seconds between matches in the game lobby. For some reason it doesnt stick if you try to do it while outside a game.

Also I was told to only quit during a match (not from the lobby) to get your XP and stuff to save properly.

They really need to fix it, because I was actually kind of enjoying myself with crashsite.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just cleared the singleplayer. Story had its moments but I wasn't impressed, neither with spectacle or with plot developments. Someone at Crytek needs to learn how to direct scenes so the player is naturally guided towards objects of interest; if someone shouts "look up," I should be compelled to look up and not too busy dispatching that alien grunt. Half the time I wound up staring into a wall when the prompt came up because I was taking cover from enemy fire.

Gameplay wise, I had a pretty constant impression of "It was good, but..." Variable approaches were done well in the urban context and you still had a good arsenal of toys to play with, but there were usually nagging little things that got in the way. Case in point, I put ten anti-tank rounds from a vehicle-mounted turret into a thin little twig of a tree and it didn't even budge, which is pretty much the opposite of what I expected coming from Crysis.

I accepted going in that I wouldn't be able to chip away at buildings until they topple over, and wanton destruction in general is hard on resources. I get that, I do. But that was just wrong.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited April 2011

D:

oh.
    well ok then.

Come now, it's not quite that bad.
    Only module that doesn't work for me is Retriever. And I haven't seen a hacker in a little while now. With the patch things seem to be looking up. What the game needs now is more players! So by all means, go get it :)
    Crysis 2 has the most fun MP of the moment imho.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does the PC version of Crysis 2 have a save-anywhere function? The console versions seem to run on checkpoints, which is annoying.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it's the same. It did get annoying sometimes, but overall the game isn't so hard that it's a huge issue.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The game's easy, even on Supersoldier. Only point that got frustrating was when they kept spawning in Ceph soldiers while you're fighting with a Pinger.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pff, any pinger fight can be solved with cloaking and chucking about 3 or 4 things of c4 on its back. It's anticlimactically easy.

Also, I kinda like the checkpoints in this. They are exactly where I would save so that I could replay certain bits. The only annoying one is right when the highway collapses in Road Rage, because of how far you can go and not trigger another, but the rest are all good.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Another question: Does this game feature infinitely spawning enemies? I'm on the part right now to make it across the pier to Stroud's office. Seems like for every badguy I take out, another one runs in to replace him.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I read online that the new patch blocks custom graphics tweaks? I can't test it because I'm at work. But if this is the case, I think I'm going to cry (tears of rage!), I won't play a FPS with low FoV.
    What a bullshit move from Crytek!

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got the 360 patch...Not seeing online what it does though.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/