Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, the Nintendo upcoming lineup pushed my to go out and pick up a 3DS today. I picked up Shadow Wars (which is incredible, wouldn't have even known about it if I didn't see a few comments on this board at one point), and Pilot Wings (which is exactly what I expected :).

I got my free ExciteBike, and the Pokedex (which I really don't understand, at least the AR code portion).

Any must-have games from the eShop? I've heard Shantee mentioned a few times ...

Also, a technical question. When using the 3D camera, I can see some horizontal ghosting (similar to if you look at the 3DS at an angle, but not as pronounced). Is this possibly a calibration issue with the cameras? or a known issue?

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    So no new re-design was announced, right?

I'm still looking to buy a 3DS, especially after hearing about the new games. So if anyone knows of any deals, online or off, I'd love to hear about them.

No re-design. I don't mean to be abrasive or make you feel bad or anything but I cannot imagine why anyone would expect a redesign to be announced two months after the thing launched. There's not even anything to fix, this isn't like the DS to Lite...and there's not much they can add either, so it's not even Lite to DSi. I could see an XL model, but not to be announced until next E3 and coming out at the end of 2012. That's probably at the earliest.
    Any must-have games from the eShop? I've heard Shantee mentioned a few times ...

I posted a list last page, they're not all must-haves, but they're the best of what DSiware has to offer. Worth looking at, watching videos on the eShop etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Rolling Western looks fantastic.

I wonder why no word of it at all.

Apparently it's an eShop release to boot -- looks kind of cool. I don't like Tower Defense enough to drop $40 on it, but as a cheaper DD release it could be great!

I kind of forgot that Nintendo often drops a lot of game announcements outside of its big keynotes ... I was hoping for a lot more third-party releases, but I will be getting Bit.Trip Saga and RE: Mercenaries, so hopefully by TGS we'll get more Japanese developed 3DS titles announced and dated. Plus I still have the most recent Layton to pick up (Unwound Future) before the just-announced one comes to the States.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Rolling Western looks fantastic.

I wonder why no word of it at all.

Apparently it's an eShop release to boot -- looks kind of cool. I don't like Tower Defense enough to drop $40 on it, but as a cheaper DD release it could be great!

I kind of forgot that Nintendo often drops a lot of game announcements outside of its big keynotes ... I was hoping for a lot more third-party releases, but I will be getting Bit.Trip Saga and RE: Mercenaries, so hopefully by TGS we'll get more Japanese developed 3DS titles announced and dated. Plus I still have the most recent Layton to pick up (Unwound Future) before the just-announced one comes to the States.

Yea, I don't like tower defense either, but this hybrid idea might be right up my alley.

Bit.Trip Saga is one of my most anticipated titles right now, as I never bought any of the other Bit.Trip games beyond Beat, so it'll all be new to me, and in trippy 3D to boot. :D

I just finished Unwound Future, the end game to that is crazy and awesome. I cannot wait for the prequel trilogy to come here. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ikeachair wrote: »
    Been thinking about picking up Dark Void Zero or Soul of darkness anyone have any idea how long either of them are?

Here's Dark Void Zero's review. I can tell you from playing it that it has three "levels," and each level is about as big as a single area from a Metroid game, if that helps any. Like in Super Metroid, the size of Brinstar or Maridia. It's not played like a Metroid game though - the gameplay has similarities with the shooting and exploration, but you don't move between the three areas as much as you want, they are strictly levels. But each level takes a bit of exploring, lots of single challenges to open a door elsewhere.

It makes up for its fairly small size by being reasonably difficult, and also only $5 (if it is still $5).

I don't know much about Soul of Darkness, here's one review, they don't really say how long it is. But it sure sounds pretty cool. Actually I might pick it up sometime here.

EDIT: Here's Destructoid's review. They say it has 11 levels and a 2 hour playtime. That's...not a lot, but again, it's only $5.

Personally I thought Dark Void Zero sucked. It didn't feel like an NES game - it felt like a weird old computer game or something. If you are trying to mimic retro, you might start with not using more colors than the NES could actually handle :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So no new re-design was announced, right?

I'm still looking to buy a 3DS, especially after hearing about the new games. So if anyone knows of any deals, online or off, I'd love to hear about them.

No re-design. I don't mean to be abrasive or make you feel bad or anything but I cannot imagine why anyone would expect a redesign to be announced two months after the thing launched. There's not even anything to fix, this isn't like the DS to Lite...and there's not much they can add either, so it's not even Lite to DSi. I could see an XL model, but not to be announced until next E3 and coming out at the end of 2012. That's probably at the earliest.
    I...didn't? I was asking about any deals a couple days ago and I was told to wait for e3 from this very thread.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Same as usual, tiger.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    or you could watch the trailer in glorious THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I can't see any movies in the (aus) eshop.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They can't give us the trailers in Europe because they don't yet know if they'll be releasing all the games over here.

The sad thing is I am not 100% sure that I'm only kidding.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I...didn't? I was asking about any deals a couple days ago and I was told to wait for e3 from this very thread.

No problem. :) I just get annoyed with all the talk of redesigns, people waiting for the first revision to buy it, etc. Nintendo does revise their handhelds a lot but they're usually logical about it, and there aren't many reasons this time aside from XL. Any major new control additions would just split the userbase, which they won't do this early.

I don't know of any special deals right now, I'll keep an eye out.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I don't really like any of the games out for the 3DS right now, maybe Shadow Wars...what really interested me was the announcement that Ocarina of Time is coming out soon. Basically, is there any reason for me to own a 3DS right now? The launch titles outside of fighting games don't really seem that interesting or good, and I'm not a fan of fighting games. Any recommendations, or reasons to pick up a 3DS? Give me a sales pitch, 3DS thread :P

For the record, I own a DS lite, so I pretty much have the "You can play DS games" covered.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadow Wars and RR are fantastic and Both DoA and SF IV are pretty deep for content.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spawn, I'm in the same boat. But RE: Mercs and OoT changed that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I look forward to the games that will eventually be here... by 2012, I expect a nice collection of games. I am just annoyed that in order to play anything good I have had to wait 2+ months since the launch annnnnnnnnd the "new" stuff is just old stuff.

It's ok though, it's just video games, and what changes i've seen Nintendo actually make, I can have high hopes for the little system.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Still no word from nintendo about my wifi issues.

Starting to think maybe a Vita looks good after all.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, DoA just keeps on shoving out those DLC costumes. We're on the third week of costumes now.

I'm also going to download Link's Awakening and Shantae. I've never really played Link's Awakening and feel I should fix that, and I've just heard so many positive things about Shantae I feel I have to.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Wait, to what point do you get into the connection? It doesn't even detect the access point? Can you get the light blue bars in the upper left corner to show up while attempting?

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really, really wish you didn't have to add funds to the wallet and they could charge your card directly. After buying Link's Awakening, I'm 22 cents short of being able to buy Shantae due to goddamn tax. So now I have to add a full $5.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jave wrote: »

Wait, to what point do you get into the connection? It doesn't even detect the access point? Can you get the light blue bars in the upper left corner to show up while attempting?

Nope.

I've fucked with just about every possible variable with my own router, and tried 5 different wi-fi hotspots throughout town. Every single time, it searches for an access point for about 2-3 seconds and says it can't see any.

And Nintendo is too busy counting their money to update their support phoneline for a system that's been out for 2.5 months or respond to any emails.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And Nintendo is too busy counting their money to update their support phoneline for a system that's been out for 2.5 months or respond to any emails.

What happens if you follow the phone prompts for DS or DSi support, then get to a represenitive and ask them if they can field a 3DS question?

Is there even a represenitive to talk to? Never called Nintendo.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've called them once because my Wii froze and died whilst playing Super Mario Galaxy 1. Nicest people I've ever talked to. I wonder if you could actually do what ForceVoid said. That way they MIGHT be able to transfer you. Specifically ask to be WARM transferred, not cold transferred though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »

What happens if you follow the phone prompts for DS or DSi support, then get to a represenitive and ask them if they can field a 3DS question?

When I called them I was taken to a representative rather quickly though I used the repair line. I called them up to specifically address my 3DS being heavily damaged and messed up at their repair facility as I didn't think filling out a form online was going to quite put across how disappointed I was in them for it. I assume they are equipped to deal with 3DS questions and not just repairs, so it may be worth just following a line for the other DS models and seeing what you can get.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I really, really wish you didn't have to add funds to the wallet and they could charge your card directly. After buying Link's Awakening, I'm 22 cents short of being able to buy Shantae due to goddamn tax. So now I have to add a full $5.

I just wish they had prices that were rounded numbers! Shantae is £10.80, and you can only add £10, £20 or £30 worth of credit - it's just so breathtakingly cynical of them. I thought the whole idea of moving away from points was that Nintendo lost 1) the disconnect between real money and the points that made you spend more and 2) the constant chunk of spare points that was always left in your account, but in turn made purchases more attractive by allowing you to pay for items as you wanted them. Sticking to the points system but reminding you of the wasted money hanging around in your account just seems to be the worst of both worlds.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Playing Link's Awakening has made me nostalgic for the Oracles.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »

whoo boy, that was fun.

I went through 3 levels of tech support, all basically walking me through the steps that I've been doing for the past 2 days and being COMPLETELY FLUSTERED when the things I told them do not work, do not in fact work. The first girl wouldn't even remember that I was talking about a 3DS until I made that clear for the 3rd time.

Finally I got promoted to top-tier tech support, who actually understood me when I said I've tried this at multiple wi-fi access points, not just my own router, and now I have to send my 3DS back into Nintendo for repairs.

If I end up losing my data, hori filter, and/or decalgirlskin, I'm really not going to be happy.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Your data should be moved over, mine was each time I had to get mine repaired. However the screen protectors are probably going to end up ruined in the process. I have read that they return them but they aren't usable. Not sure about the skin, not familiar how those specifically are applied. Maybe you could look into removing them on your own before you ship it, if possible?

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If I end up losing my data, hori filter, and/or decalgirlskin, I'm really not going to be happy.

I'm not sure what they do now - but a few years ago they fixed my (first) DS Lite hinge crack and I sent it into them with a screen protector. It came back with the screen protector in a small baggy and a print out telling me the risks of using 3rd party accessories...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I'm not sure what they do now - but a few years ago they fixed my (first) DS Lite hinge crack and I sent it into them with a screen protector. It came back with the screen protector in a small baggy and a print out telling me the risks of using 3rd party accessories...

Nintendo Knows Best.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is such bullshit. Obviously I don't have it as bad as the guy who can't connect at all, but I've tried to download this update 20-30 times, and it fails every single time. Sometimes it fails instantly, other times it'll get almost all the way to the end, there's no consistency to it. It always fails.

This isn't fair. :(

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

they may strip it all off and send it back, or not send it back but he might as well strip them off himself as they definitely won't send the unit back he sends in. They just send back a refurb as soon as they get the broken one, no attempts to fix and send back the same one they receive.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've read the posts about the best DSiWare titles and have only one very important question. Cave Story or Shantae? I love Metroidvanias and love caves.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've read the posts about the best DSiWare titles and have only one very important question. Cave Story or Shantae? I love Metroidvanias and love caves.

Cave Story is excellent, but try playing the original and free PC version to decide whether it's your thing, and whether you want to pay for a portable and re-skinned version of the same thing. Also bear in mind that you'll have the same 'blurry vs. tiny' dilemma as with all DS games. If you do decide that you want a portable version, I'd try for the 3DS-native version released in the nearish future - I'm sure it'll drop in price very quickly, and at least runs at the right resolution (and in 3D!).

Bioptic on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm actually surprised at how good DS games still look when rescaled.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, fears confirmed. My 3D screen has become slanted downward to one side, and now it is ruining the 3D spot to the point where I have to turn my neck to see it properly. How this happened I do not know, as my 3DS has pretty much remained on its charger and has not moved from my desk since I last got it back from Nintendo Repairs. I had to spend a long time on the phone talking to the representative explaining that this will be my 4th 3DS, and I would rather not deal with the repair center again.

I then get told that, because this is my 3rd replacement unit from them, I am not eligible for a straight up replacement. And that I will need to deal with a repair center again. I ask if there is a reason and I get put on hold while they see what they can do. They then get back to me and say that I AM eligible for replacement, so long as I haven't bought any games on the system. For some reason the 3DS to 3DS system transfer tool is not included on the system? Even with the most recent update? So I get to lose everything I downloaded, which isn't much. I can deal with just having to redownload the Pokedex and Excitebike, I have time to do that. But that is just silly.

So in 3-10 business days i'll get a "new" 3DS from Nintendo, and I pray that this not have any further defects or I will be selling it off and getting rid of this headache. Absolutely sloppiest hardware launch I have ever been a member of from the beginning. There is no excuse for this shit Nintendo, none.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »

Cave Story is excellent, but try playing the original and free PC version to decide whether it's your thing, and whether you want to pay for a portable and re-skinned version of the same thing. Also bear in mind that you'll have the same 'blurry vs. tiny' dilemma as with all DS games. If you do decide that you want a portable version, I'd try for the 3DS-native version released in the nearish future - I'm sure it'll drop in price very quickly, and at least runs at the right resolution (and in 3D!).

The DS version isn't reskinned

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has anyone gotten a replacement from Nintendo for the scratches caused by the bottom screen touching the top?

because I got myself a set of those now

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are they full on scratches or just grease marks? If the latter, some careful buffing will remove.

I don't know if it has been replaceable for the marks, but I would hope so. I ended up adding tiny strips of padding to the two top-screen rubber stoppers, along with a big rubber pad to the Home button, and it prevents all screen-to-screen contact. Had to ghetto-rig my own solution, but I'll be damned if I get more scratches this way.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're scratches. I got the grease marks a lot for a while, but these are permanent.

I just noticed my top screen is slightly dimmer than it used to be, too. This is probably a symptom of the backlight working harder in 3D mode... damn it, Nintendo.

mntorankusu on